[OT], but imagine an iPad Rev...

Colin Holgate-2
http://itunes.apple.com/app/iluabox/id398073834

Re: [OT], but imagine an iPad Rev...

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Colin,

Colin Holgate-2 wrote
Did you mean
A) Full implementation of LiveCode IDE for iPad?
or
B) A script editor that could edit, compile and flag errors
in LiveCode scripts?

If you select: A) then, please help Kevin to convince
Charles Moir to help in this task. :-D   http://charlesmoir.com/

If you select: B) then, correct me if i am wrong, but
Could this editor be implemented via the web browser?

Al

Re: [OT], but imagine an iPad Rev...

Colin Holgate-2

On Oct 25, 2010, at 9:41 PM, Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> If you select: B) then, correct me if i am wrong, but
> Could this editor be implemented via the web browser?

I hadn't deeply thought about it at all, but the browser approach might not work, if it required plugins. It was mainly the fact that the doors have been opened to the point of users being able to code something original directly on their iPad. That might be something of interest to tool makers.

Re: [OT], but imagine an iPad Rev...

Alejandro Tejada
Hmmm... looks like Safari's version for iPad
does not have an important feature to implement
a decent text editor on it:

"Safari. This is a poor, crippled web browser.
Specifically the killer problem is the little reported
absence of support for a feature called ‘content editable’
which is used by all web-based editors, Google Docs,
Gmail, Hotmail, and all rich-text editors. None of them work.
Yep, there’s no way to edit Google Docs or use any decent
web-based editor. Appalling. Inexcusable."

Before answering to Charles Moir about this and another
comments that he wrote in his site, read the whole
page, where he calls the iPad: "Awesome, but seriously flawed"

http://charlesmoir.com/ipad.htm

Al

Re: [OT], but imagine an iPad Rev...

Geoff Canyon Rev
I'm puzzled -- I thought the regulations still prohibited anything that
loads executable code?

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Colin Holgate <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://itunes.apple.com/app/iluabox/id398073834

Re: [OT], but imagine an iPad Rev...

Andre Garzia-3
Lua is one of the permitted scripting languages on iOS... many games use it
so when the great iOSCalypse happened and Lua was one of the first to
recover since EA and other big boys use it inside their games.

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Geoff Canyon Rev
<[hidden email]<gcanyon%[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> I'm puzzled -- I thought the regulations still prohibited anything that
> loads executable code?
>
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Colin Holgate <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > http://itunes.apple.com/app/iluabox/id398073834

http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

Re: [OT], but imagine an iPad Rev...

Geoff Canyon Rev
Ah -- so something like this using livecode is still forbidden :-/

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Andre Garzia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lua is one of the permitted scripting languages on iOS... many games use it
> so when the great iOSCalypse happened and Lua was one of the first to
> recover since EA and other big boys use it inside their games.
>

> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Geoff Canyon Rev
> <[hidden email] <gcanyon%[hidden email]><gcanyon%[hidden email]<gcanyon%[hidden email]>
> >
> > wrote:
>
> > I'm puzzled -- I thought the regulations still prohibited anything that
> > loads executable code?
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Colin Holgate <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > http://itunes.apple.com/app/iluabox/id398073834

> http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

Re: [OT], but imagine an iPad Rev...

kee nethery

On Oct 26, 2010, at 5:23 PM, Geoff Canyon Rev wrote:

> Ah -- so something like this using livecode is still forbidden :-/

My understanding is that all the code that will ever run needs to go through the approval process. My understanding is that if your app interprets code that is embedded in the app, and they can review that code, no problem. On the other hand, if you import code from outside of the app, or you allow the user to write their own code to run in the interpreter, they have problems with that. That is my understanding. They want to review all the code and know that is all the code your app will every try to run.

I am guessing that running the IDE is not going to be allowed anytime soon IF the IDE can execute the code you create.

Re: [OT], but imagine an iPad Rev...

Joe Lewis Wilkins
After the 1984 Apple TV Super Bowl Advertisement, you would think that Big Brother would have made his appearance sooner than this. At least we were warned well in advance. (gruesome grin)

Joe Wilkins