OT: error messages

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
LiveCode is getting way too easy to use.
I suggest implementing some of these error messages.

https://boingboing.net/2017/08/28/unnervingly-vague-error-messag.html

Or these:
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~jasonh/personal/humor/compile.html

Or at least "Underfull hbox (badness 10000)"

Re: OT: error messages

On 8/28/17 11:18 AM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:

> LiveCode is getting way too easy to use.
> I suggest implementing some of these error messages.
>
> https://boingboing.net/2017/08/28/unnervingly-vague-error-messag.html
>
> Or these:
> https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~jasonh/personal/humor/compile.html
>
> Or at least "Underfull hbox (badness 10000)"

Apple shows far more creativity than MS. Not surprised.

Re: OT: error messages

On 08/28/2017 12:15 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:

> On 8/28/17 11:18 AM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
>> LiveCode is getting way too easy to use.
>> I suggest implementing some of these error messages.
>>
>> https://boingboing.net/2017/08/28/unnervingly-vague-error-messag.html
>>
>> Or these:
>> https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~jasonh/personal/humor/compile.html
>>
>> Or at least "Underfull hbox (badness 10000)"
>>

> Apple shows far more creativity than MS. Not surprised.

I have to admit to having invoked several of those in my MPW days.

Re: OT: error messages

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
The one the president sees most often:
'Illegal Document Count'

Re: OT: error messages

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
One of my faves from the IBM mainframe world in the 80s and earlier:

    Probable user error. Correct and resubmit.

It's mostly intelligible although it tells you nothing.

Phil Davis

--
Phil Davis

Re: OT: error messages

Mike Kerner via use-livecode

> On Aug 29, 2017, at 5:51 PM, Phil Davis via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> One of my faves from the IBM mainframe world in the 80s and earlier:
>
>   Probable user error. Correct and resubmit.
>
> It's mostly intelligible although it tells you nothing.
>
> Phil Davis
>

> On 8/28/17 12:15 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
>> On 8/28/17 11:18 AM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
>>> LiveCode is getting way too easy to use.
>>> I suggest implementing some of these error messages.
>>>
>>> https://boingboing.net/2017/08/28/unnervingly-vague-error-messag.html
>>>
>>> Or these:
>>> https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~jasonh/personal/humor/compile.html
>>>
>>> Or at least "Underfull hbox (badness 10000)"
>>>

>> Apple shows far more creativity than MS. Not surprised.
>>

> --
> Phil Davis

Re: OT: error messages

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
The early IBM TSS console would occasionally stop, typing “You Crashed Monito” with the rest of the system running fine. Like a driverless car with no clear destination.
.Jerry

> On Aug 29, 2017, at 5:51 PM, Phil Davis via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> One of my faves from the IBM mainframe world in the 80s and earlier:
>
>   Probable user error. Correct and resubmit.
>
> It's mostly intelligible although it tells you nothing.
>
> Phil Davis
>

> On 8/28/17 12:15 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
>> On 8/28/17 11:18 AM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
>>> LiveCode is getting way too easy to use.
>>> I suggest implementing some of these error messages.
>>>
>>> https://boingboing.net/2017/08/28/unnervingly-vague-error-messag.html
>>>
>>> Or these:
>>> https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~jasonh/personal/humor/compile.html
>>>
>>> Or at least "Underfull hbox (badness 10000)"
>>>

>> Apple shows far more creativity than MS. Not surprised.
>>

> --
> Phil Davis

Re: OT: error messages

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
HyperCard had an error: Script too silly to parse

On August 29, 2017 7:56:58 PM Jerry Jensen via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The early IBM TSS console would occasionally stop, typing “You Crashed
> Monito” with the rest of the system running fine. Like a driverless car
> with no clear destination.
> .Jerry
>
>> On Aug 29, 2017, at 5:51 PM, Phil Davis via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> One of my faves from the IBM mainframe world in the 80s and earlier:
>>
>>   Probable user error. Correct and resubmit.
>>
>> It's mostly intelligible although it tells you nothing.
>>
>> Phil Davis

>>> Apple shows far more creativity than MS. Not surprised.
>>>

>> --
>> Phil Davis

Re: OT: error messages

On 08/29/2017 06:56 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
> HyperCard had an error: Script too silly to parse

...TFW...

RE: OT: error messages

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
In 1975 a few of us were huddled around the console of an IBM 1130 trying to
figure out the new command line text editor(Cytos). The error messages were
less than helpful(much less) so at one point in frustration we typed "f***
you". Cytos replied "Same to you" and we all fell on the floor laughing!

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services