OT(ish): Selling software downloads - sales tax?

OT(ish): Selling software downloads - sales tax?

Graham Samuel-4
I have been discussing the sale of a desktop product (developed with LC, obviously) with a colleague. We’re thinking of direct sales, rather than selling via an agent or an app store type of arrangement. He’s in the US and I’m in the UK, or at any rate the EU.

I think that if I sell a low volume of product purely as a download with no physical fulfilment, I won’t have to charge sales tax anywhere in the European Union. But I am not sure about the US. It seems that some states charge sales tax on everything, while others (California, perhaps?) don’t charge if there is no physical fulfilment. I am not sure if the volume (or more accurately, the total value of sales per year) comes into it or not. It certainly does in Europe.

Some people on this list are selling apps, stacks etc in this way - can anyone explain how they see this?

This may not be the right place to discuss the issue, but looking at the only forum topic which seems close - ‘Marketing Your Products’ - it seems pretty dead.

TIA

Graham

Re: OT(ish): Selling software downloads - sales tax?

Matthias Rebbe | M-R-D
Graham,

if you want to go the save way, then you should consider using a service like Fastspring, KAGI or other.
They will fulfill the complete order,payment and deliver process for you including VAT if applicable.

You will get your earnings and do not have to think about VAT.

Since 1st January as an european reseller  you have to use the VAT-rate of the  buyers country when selling digital products like videostreaming, licenses, downloads or whatever.
Before that date you could use the VAT-Rate of your country. At least here in Germany the 1st January was the deadline. I am not sure if all european countries already made this mandatory , but it is a european wide thing.

Because of this regulation i switched to KAGI and do not have to worry about the VAT stuff.

Btw. if you want to protect your app you should think about Zygodact http://www.hyperactivesw.com/solutions_zygodact.html <http://www.hyperactivesw.com/solutions_zygodact.html> . It provides you an very easy to use registration serial key system to your LiveCode standalone or stack. It creates for each app a separate registration stack and a key generator stack.

I am using Zygodact with KAGI order system. KAGI´s order system supports Livecode stacks. So after successful payment KAGI automatically  to creates the registration key using a stack with key generator substack and sends out the registration info to the customer.  That works like a charm.

Regards,

Matthias

> Am 17.03.2016 um 19:06 schrieb Graham Samuel <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> I have been discussing the sale of a desktop product (developed with LC, obviously) with a colleague. We’re thinking of direct sales, rather than selling via an agent or an app store type of arrangement. He’s in the US and I’m in the UK, or at any rate the EU.
>
> I think that if I sell a low volume of product purely as a download with no physical fulfilment, I won’t have to charge sales tax anywhere in the European Union. But I am not sure about the US. It seems that some states charge sales tax on everything, while others (California, perhaps?) don’t charge if there is no physical fulfilment. I am not sure if the volume (or more accurately, the total value of sales per year) comes into it or not. It certainly does in Europe.
>
> Some people on this list are selling apps, stacks etc in this way - can anyone explain how they see this?
>
> This may not be the right place to discuss the issue, but looking at the only forum topic which seems close - ‘Marketing Your Products’ - it seems pretty dead.
>
> TIA
>
> Graham

Re: OT(ish): Selling software downloads - sales tax?

Camm29
I sell from the UK and went over to FastSpring due to the new VAT rules for downloads.
Works fine and no worries about VAT.
You can select to show the applicable VAT charge up front or at added at checkout for the customer.
Then all you need to do is declare Wholesale Sales from FastSpring as earnings.
Of course there are fees per transaction but its worth it !
I assume KAGI and others are similar.

Regards
Camm

if you want to go the save way, then you should consider using a service like Fastspring, KAGI or other.
They will fulfill the complete order,payment and deliver process for you including VAT if applicable.

You will get your earnings and do not have to think about VAT.

Since 1st January as an european reseller  you have to use the VAT-rate of the  buyers country when selling digital products like videostreaming, licenses, downloads or whatever.
Before that date you could use the VAT-Rate of your country. At least here in Germany the 1st January was the deadline. I am not sure if all european countries already made this mandatory , but it is a european wide thing.

Because of this regulation i switched to KAGI and do not have to worry about the VAT stuff.

Btw. if you want to protect your app you should think about Zygodact http://www.hyperactivesw.com/solutions_zygodact.html <http://www.hyperactivesw.com/solutions_zygodact.html> . It provides you an very easy to use registration serial key system to your LiveCode standalone or stack. It creates for each app a separate registration stack and a key generator stack.

I am using Zygodact with KAGI order system. KAGI´s order system supports Livecode stacks. So after successful payment KAGI automatically  to creates the registration key using a stack with key generator substack and sends out the registration info to the customer.  That works like a charm.

Regards,

Matthias

> Am 17.03.2016 um 19:06 schrieb Graham Samuel <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> I have been discussing the sale of a desktop product (developed with LC, obviously) with a colleague. We’re thinking of direct sales, rather than selling via an agent or an app store type of arrangement. He’s in the US and I’m in the UK, or at any rate the EU.
>
> I think that if I sell a low volume of product purely as a download with no physical fulfilment, I won’t have to charge sales tax anywhere in the European Union. But I am not sure about the US. It seems that some states charge sales tax on everything, while others (California, perhaps?) don’t charge if there is no physical fulfilment. I am not sure if the volume (or more accurately, the total value of sales per year) comes into it or not. It certainly does in Europe.
>
> Some people on this list are selling apps, stacks etc in this way - can anyone explain how they see this?
>
> This may not be the right place to discuss the issue, but looking at the only forum topic which seems close - ‘Marketing Your Products’ - it seems pretty dead.
>
> TIA
>
> Graham

Re: OT(ish): Selling software downloads - sales tax?

Graham Samuel-4
Thanks to Matthias and Camm for your quick replies.

Matthias, your method looks like a very good solution to me, especially as we have already decided to use Zygodact.

I have more questions, for example about the link between KAGI and a web site which describes the product and offers a ‘contact us’ service etc - you have this; but I couldn’t understand how that works from my first look at the KAGI site. I also think you do your own fulfilment - providing the actual downloads to the user - although I see that KAGI offers to do it, presumably for a fee. I’d like to know how you made that decision.

If you haven’t the time to explain this in more detail I will just start talking to KAGI - but of course it’s really interesting to hear from someone in the LiveCode community.

Regards

Graham

> [...]
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Graham

Re: OT(ish): Selling software downloads - sales tax?

Matthias Rebbe | M-R-D

> Am 17.03.2016 um 22:45 schrieb Graham Samuel <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Thanks to Matthias and Camm for your quick replies.
>
> Matthias, your method looks like a very good solution to me, especially as we have already decided to use Zygodact.
>
> I have more questions, for example about the link between KAGI and a web site which describes the product and offers a ‘contact us’ service etc - you have this; but I couldn’t understand how that works from my first look at the KAGI site. I also think you do your own fulfilment - providing the actual downloads to the user - although I see that KAGI offers to do it, presumably for a fee. I’d like to know how you made that decision.

I am using KAGI only for the order process which includes the ordering, payment and delivering the serial key be email to the customer.

The reasons why my website offers the download of the software are that i have the website anyway and my software can be used in demo mode until it´s unlocked. So the user can download and try before buy. When the users decide to buy, they can either click on my website the link to my KAGI shop or click in my software a “purchase” button which then opens the link to my KAGI shop  in the default browser.
If you haven´t a website then maybe using KAGI for providing the download of your software might be a solution.

But for me that was never an option, because updates of my software are available for download immediately after i uploaded it to my server.
Maybe this would also be the fact using KAGI for storing the software, but i do not know.

Btw, Kagi is providing you a template stack which you have to modify a little bit (adding the key generator stack and calling it and so on) to get it working with Zygodact. If you need further information how i managed that, please let me know. If this of interest for others in the list we can discuss it here or just send me an email offlist.

Matthias

> [...]
>>>
>>> I think that if I sell a low volume of product purely as a download with no physical fulfilment, I won’t have to charge sales tax anywhere in the European Union. But I am not sure about the US. It seems that some states charge sales tax on everything, while others (California, perhaps?) don’t charge if there is no physical fulfilment. I am not sure if the volume (or more accurately, the total value of sales per year) comes into it or not. It certainly does in Europe.
>>>
>>> Some people on this list are selling apps, stacks etc in this way - can anyone explain how they see this?
>>>
>>> This may not be the right place to discuss the issue, but looking at the only forum topic which seems close - ‘Marketing Your Products’ - it seems pretty dead.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Graham

Re: OT(ish): Selling software downloads - sales tax?

Warren Samples
On 03/17/2016 01:06 PM, Graham Samuel wrote:
> I have been discussing the sale of a desktop product (developed with LC, obviously) with a colleague. We’re thinking of direct sales...He’s in the US
>
> ..sell a low volume of product purely as a download with no physical fulfilment...I am not sure about the US.

There is no sales tax charged for any online sales in the US except for
sales to customers located within a state where the vendor has a
physical office or point of sale. Your stateside partner probably knows
this already. As far as software with no physical delivery goes, it
could be considered several different ways which will vary from state to
state but again you are only concerned with how the state where he is
qualifies it. Ask your partner to contact the revenue department of the
state in which he resides and ask them how to proceed. That would be the
only state where you have any possible obligation and even then,
depending on how your partnership/company is structured and how they
consider this kind of product, you might not have any at all.

https://www.sba.gov/content/collecting-sales-tax-over-internet

http://biztaxlaw.about.com/od/businesstaxes/f/onlinesalestax.htm

http://www.inc.com/articles/2003/10/salestax.html

Good luck!

Warren

Re: OT(ish): Selling software downloads - sales tax?

FlexibleLearning.com
The key word in the new rules for EU VAT is "automated". If your software or
a serial key is manually issued by email, the sale is not automated and not
within the scope of the regulations...

https://whitehall-admin.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/
uploads/attachment_data/file/415931/VAT_MOSS_Flow_chart_FSB_edit_V1_0.pdf

This is my understanding.

Hugh Senior

> I sell from the UK and went over to FastSpring due to the new VAT rules
for

> downloads.
> Works fine and no worries about VAT.
> You can select to show the applicable VAT charge up front or at added at
> checkout for the customer.
> Then all you need to do is declare Wholesale Sales from FastSpring as
> earnings.
> Of course there are fees per transaction but its worth it !
> I assume KAGI and others are similar.
>
> Regards
> Camm

Re: OT(ish): Selling software downloads - sales tax?

xtalkprogrammer
About VAT: small companies can ignore the new rules. Check the tables on the website of your tax office for threshold values.

--
Kind regards,

Mark Schonewille
Economy-x-Talk
Http://economy-x-talk.com

Share the clipboard of your computer over a local network with Clipboard Link http://clipboardlink.economy-x-talk.com

Op 17 mrt. 2016 om 19:55 heeft Matthias Rebbe <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

> Graham,
>
> if you want to go the save way, then you should consider using a service like Fastspring, KAGI or other.
> They will fulfill the complete order,payment and deliver process for you including VAT if applicable.
>
> You will get your earnings and do not have to think about VAT.
>
> Since 1st January as an european reseller  you have to use the VAT-rate of the  buyers country when selling digital products like videostreaming, licenses, downloads or whatever.
> Before that date you could use the VAT-Rate of your country. At least here in Germany the 1st January was the deadline. I am not sure if all european countries already made this mandatory , but it is a european wide thing.
>
> Because of this regulation i switched to KAGI and do not have to worry about the VAT stuff.
>
> Btw. if you want to protect your app you should think about Zygodact http://www.hyperactivesw.com/solutions_zygodact.html <http://www.hyperactivesw.com/solutions_zygodact.html> . It provides you an very easy to use registration serial key system to your LiveCode standalone or stack. It creates for each app a separate registration stack and a key generator stack.
>
> I am using Zygodact with KAGI order system. KAGI´s order system supports Livecode stacks. So after successful payment KAGI automatically  to creates the registration key using a stack with key generator substack and sends out the registration info to the customer.  That works like a charm.
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthias
>

>> Am 17.03.2016 um 19:06 schrieb Graham Samuel <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>
>> I have been discussing the sale of a desktop product (developed with LC, obviously) with a colleague. We’re thinking of direct sales, rather than selling via an agent or an app store type of arrangement. He’s in the US and I’m in the UK, or at any rate the EU.
>>
>> I think that if I sell a low volume of product purely as a download with no physical fulfilment, I won’t have to charge sales tax anywhere in the European Union. But I am not sure about the US. It seems that some states charge sales tax on everything, while others (California, perhaps?) don’t charge if there is no physical fulfilment. I am not sure if the volume (or more accurately, the total value of sales per year) comes into it or not. It c

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

RE: OT(ish): Selling software downloads - sales tax?

Camm29
All ,

Just to be clear the EU VAT change Jan 2016 applies to even 1 download if sold to any EU member state customer at their current VAT rate.
It applies to any digital product that is downloaded with no physical fulfilment , its defined by "minimal user input to obtain download" so even if you sale licence keys the new rules apply.

Simple flowchart :-
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/415931/VAT_MOSS_Flow_chart_FSB_edit_V1_0.pdf

Camm

On 03/17/2016 01:06 PM, Graham Samuel wrote:
> I have been discussing the sale of a desktop product (developed with
> LC, obviously) with a colleague. We’re thinking of direct sales...He’s
> in the US
>
> ..sell a low volume of product purely as a download with no physical fulfilment...I am not sure about the US.

There is no sales tax charged for any online sales in the US except for sales to customers located within a state where the vendor has a physical office or point of sale. Your stateside partner probably knows this already. As far as software with no physical delivery goes, it could be considered several different ways which will vary from state to state but again you are only concerned with how the state where he is qualifies it. Ask your partner to contact the revenue department of the state in which he resides and ask them how to proceed. That would be the only state where you have any possible obligation and even then, depending on how your partnership/company is structured and how they consider this kind of product, you might not have any at all.

https://www.sba.gov/content/collecting-sales-tax-over-internet

http://biztaxlaw.about.com/od/businesstaxes/f/onlinesalestax.htm

http://www.inc.com/articles/2003/10/salestax.html

Good luck!

Warren

-----
No virus found in this message.
-----
No virus found in this message.
-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: OT(ish): Selling software downloads - sales tax?

Graham Samuel-4
Camm, that is really good info! It makes a cast-iron case for using someone like KAGI, as far as I can see. The whole system seems to me to be bureaucratic and obstructive, but there it is. Thanks for this link.

Graham

> On 20 Mar 2016, at 17:40, Camm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> All ,
>
> Just to be clear the EU VAT change Jan 2016 applies to even 1 download if sold to any EU member state customer at their current VAT rate.
> It applies to any digital product that is downloaded with no physical fulfilment , its defined by "minimal user input to obtain download" so even if you sale licence keys the new rules apply.
>
> Simple flowchart :-
> https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/415931/VAT_MOSS_Flow_chart_FSB_edit_V1_0.pdf
>
> Camm

sims
I've used Kagi for years. Excellent, experienced service.
Kai was or is a Rev user, used to post to this list.

sims

--

On Sunday, March 20, 2016, Graham Samuel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Camm, that is really good info! It makes a cast-iron case for using
> someone like KAGI, as far as I can see. The whole system seems to me to be
> bureaucratic and obstructive, but there it is. Thanks for this link.
>
> Graham
>

> > On 20 Mar 2016, at 17:40, Camm <[hidden email] <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> > All ,
> >
> > Just to be clear the EU VAT change Jan 2016 applies to even 1 download
> if sold to any EU member state customer at their current VAT rate.
> > It applies to any digital product that is downloaded with no physical
> fulfilment , its defined by "minimal user input to obtain download" so even
> if you sale licence keys the new rules apply.
> >
> > Simple flowchart :-
> >
> https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/415931/VAT_MOSS_Flow_chart_FSB_edit_V1_0.pdf
> >
> > Camm

Sent from my iPodo - it makes weird spelling sometimes :-P