[OT-ish] WWDC things of interest

Colin Holgate-3
The start of Apple’s WWDC was today. They announced a bunch of things. One of those was a rename to the OS, to be macOS instead of OS X , and they released the next version to developers (10.12 codename Sierra). I’m running that already!

I tested LiveCodes 5, 6, 7,and 8, and all seem to open ok.

The most interesting thing that was shown overlaps somewhat with what LiveCode is good for. Apple have a new app coming, called Swift Playgrounds. It’s free, and it’s meant for people learning programming. Here’s the info page on it:

http://www.apple.com/swift/playgrounds/

Re: [OT-ish] WWDC things of interest

mwieder
Colin Holgate <colinholgate@...> writes:

> The start of Apple’s WWDC was today. They announced a bunch of things.
> One of those was a rename to the OS, to be macOS instead of OS X , and
> they released the next version to developers (10.12 codename Sierra). I’m
> running that already!

Also, they're opening up the Siri and messaging apis to developers.

(and you'll now be able to accidentally dial 911 from your watch)

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: [OT-ish] WWDC things of interest

Colin Holgate-3
999 in Hong Kong (and the UK).

> On Jun 13, 2016, at 7:07 PM, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Colin Holgate <colinholgate@...> writes:
>

>> The start of Apple’s WWDC was today. They announced a bunch of things.
>> One of those was a rename to the OS, to be macOS instead of OS X , and
>> they released the next version to developers (10.12 codename Sierra). I’m
>> running that already!
>
> Also, they're opening up the Siri and messaging apis to developers.
>
> (and you'll now be able to accidentally dial 911 from your watch)
>
> --
> Mark Wieder

Re: [OT-ish] WWDC things of interest

mwieder
Colin Holgate <colinholgate@...> writes:

> 999 in Hong Kong (and the UK).
>
> > On Jun 13, 2016, at 7:07 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
> >
> > (and you'll now be able to accidentally dial 911 from your watch)

It's a joke in your town.

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: [OT-ish] WWDC things of interest

Mark Smith
Colin Holgate-3 wrote
The most interesting thing that was shown overlaps somewhat with what LiveCode is good for. Apple have a new app coming, called Swift Playgrounds. It’s free, and it’s meant for people learning programming. Here’s the info page on it:

http://www.apple.com/swift/playgrounds/
Interesting, indeed!!

Re: [OT-ish] WWDC things of interest

[-hh]
Sadly LC is not OK with 10.12 here:

Menu file > Open stack ... *crashes* LC immediately.
Tested with LC 6/7/8 latest releases.

[I'm running MacOS 10.12 beta (16A201w) from an external disk].
Is that system dialog working in LC with you?

Re: [OT-ish] WWDC things of interest

Colin Holgate-3
I’m running it from my internal drive, and open stack works fine. I do use the utility Default Folder, and that isn’t working it seems.

> On Jun 14, 2016, at 6:12 AM, [-hh] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sadly LC is not OK with 10.12 here:
>
> Menu file > Open stack ... *crashes* LC immediately.
> Tested with LC 6/7/8 latest releases.
>
> [I'm running MacOS 10.12 beta (16A201w) from an external disk].
> Is that system dialog working in LC with you?

Re: [OT-ish] WWDC things of interest

Mike Kerner
the playgrounds looks like fun...

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 7:00 AM, Colin Holgate <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I’m running it from my internal drive, and open stack works fine. I do use
> the utility Default Folder, and that isn’t working it seems.
>

> > On Jun 14, 2016, at 6:12 AM, [-hh] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Sadly LC is not OK with 10.12 here:
> >
> > Menu file > Open stack ... *crashes* LC immediately.
> > Tested with LC 6/7/8 latest releases.
> >
> > [I'm running MacOS 10.12 beta (16A201w) from an external disk].
> > Is that system dialog working in LC with you?
> >

> > --

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: [OT-ish] WWDC things of interest

Colin Holgate-3
Something else from yesterday, macOS 10.12 has a new feature where applications that didn’t have a tabs feature before suddenly do now. I’ve tried that with SketchUp, and it works well. The system inserts a Show Tab Bar into the top of the View menu.

In some cases that option is there but doesn’t get you very far, the tab bar shows without a + at the end, so you can’t add more tabs. That happens in Starry Night and in Mail.

LiveCode is different though, it doesn’t show the new menu item at all. I’m not sure if it would be that useful in LiveCode, in that very often stacks are different sizes, which wouldn’t work well as tabs in a single size window. But, it’s just curious that LiveCode must be doing menus or windows in a non-standard way.

Re: [OT-ish] WWDC things of interest

Dr. Hawkins
On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also, they're opening up the Siri and messaging apis to developers.

This is what I've been waiting for--I want to be able to tell Siri to
record billing information while out and about.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: [OT-ish] WWDC things of interest

Mike Kerner
I emailed Kevin and proposed another funding round, for universal voice
support across all platforms for all digital assistants.  We paid Monte to
give us hooks into Dragon (for both voice in and out), because Siri wasn't
available.  For those keeping score at home, I think there are now 5:
 Siri, Google Now, Cortana, Alexa, and Dragon, serving different
platforms.  It would therefore be great to have a way to get voice
recognition and voice feedback on all.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 10:28 AM, Dr. Hawkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > Also, they're opening up the Siri and messaging apis to developers.
> >

> This is what I've been waiting for--I want to be able to tell Siri to
> record billing information while out and about.
>
> --
> Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
> (702) 508-8462

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: [OT-ish] WWDC things of interest

Mike Kerner
I am also extremely disappointed that we are not seeing any sort of real
convergence between macOS and ios.  Here, we have several users that are on
surface pro's, because they can get the best of both worlds in the windows
universe on one device.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 10:46 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I emailed Kevin and proposed another funding round, for universal voice
> support across all platforms for all digital assistants.  We paid Monte to
> give us hooks into Dragon (for both voice in and out), because Siri wasn't
> available.  For those keeping score at home, I think there are now 5:
>  Siri, Google Now, Cortana, Alexa, and Dragon, serving different
> platforms.  It would therefore be great to have a way to get voice
> recognition and voice feedback on all.
>
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 10:28 AM, Dr. Hawkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>

>> > Also, they're opening up the Siri and messaging apis to developers.
>> >

>> This is what I've been waiting for--I want to be able to tell Siri to
>> record billing information while out and about.
>>
>> --
>> Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
>> (702) 508-8462

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: [OT-ish] WWDC things of interest

Colin Holgate-3
Although I’m a fan of Apple, and a fan of Halo, Alexa is my favorite one of these. Amazon have done a good job with it.

> On Jun 14, 2016, at 10:46 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I emailed Kevin and proposed another funding round, for universal voice
> support across all platforms for all digital assistants.  We paid Monte to
> give us hooks into Dragon (for both voice in and out), because Siri wasn't
> available.  For those keeping score at home, I think there are now 5:
> Siri, Google Now, Cortana, Alexa, and Dragon, serving different
> platforms.  It would therefore be great to have a way to get voice
> recognition and voice feedback on all.
>
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 10:28 AM, Dr. Hawkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Also, they're opening up the Siri and messaging apis to developers.
>>>

>> This is what I've been waiting for--I want to be able to tell Siri to
>> record billing information while out and about.
>>
>> --
>> Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
>> (702) 508-8462

>   and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: [OT-ish] WWDC things of interest

Colin Holgate-3
Did you see the shared clipboard feature? And Siri on Mac is pretty neat.

On 06/14/2016 07:24 AM, Colin Holgate wrote:

> Something else from yesterday, macOS 10.12 has a new feature where applications that didn’t have a tabs feature before suddenly do now.

The way I understand this is that applications *that support multiple
windows* now have tabs. LC doesn't have actual multiple windows, just
multiple stacks, and that can be a very different thing from the
operating system's point of view.

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Mike Kerner wrote:

 > I emailed Kevin and proposed another funding round, for universal
 > voice support across all platforms for all digital assistants. We
 > paid Monte to give us hooks into Dragon (for both voice in and out),
 > because Siri wasn't available.

With all due respect to you and the dev team, I hope that before we pull
them away into new platform-specific features we first tighten up the
loose ends with Windows.

I know that Mac represents a disproportionately large segment of our
audience, but what we use to develop on is less important than where we
deliver to our customers.  Many of us who use LiveCode chose it because
SuperCard is exclusively Mac.  Even if we develop on Mac or Linux, the
majority of most of our income comes from Windows users, and our income
is what enables LC's income.

So it's critically important we look past direct download counts at
livecode.com and look instead and general market share when prioritizing
platform-specific features.

The Mac audience may be two to three times larger than Linux, but both
are niches compared to the 86% using Windows.

The new macOS features outlined at WWDC yesterday are very exciting and
I share your enthusiasm for seeing direct support for them in LC,
whether as engine enhancements or as community-driven libraries using LC
Builder's ability to call OS APIs.

But ideally any near-term development to support OS-specific features
for Mac or Linux would be coming from the community, so the engine team
can continue their good focus on bringing the Windows engine up to
parity with the Mac in terms of common features and robustness.

Certainly a Feature Exchange would offset direct costs, but unless it's
large enough to hire more devs it represents an opportunity cost.

Let's tidy up Windows right now, and if we're really itching to get
going on Mac-specific features let's see if we can use the last
successful fundraiser for extending LC Builder's API support to empower
community-driven development there.

Along those lines, once that's in hand I'd love to see if anyone here
has time and interest to explore how we might use that API access to
handle menus in Ubuntu as they are on the Mac for better integration
with Ubuntu Unity, but that's a different thread....

 > For those keeping score at home, I think there are now 5: Siri,
 > Google Now, Cortana, Alexa, and Dragon, serving different
 > platforms. It would therefore be great to have a way to get voice
 > recognition and voice feedback on all.

There's also Mycroft AI, a free and open system that's been getting some
good news coverage lately:
https://mycroft.ai/

They got seed funding from a very successful Kickstarter campaign:
<https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aiforeveryone/mycroft-an-open-source-artificial-intelligence-for>

I met the devs at the SoCal Linux Expo a few months ago. Impressive
team, impressive project. And being open source, anyone can tailor it
for their needs however they want.

Mike Kerner wrote:

 > I am also extremely disappointed that we are not seeing any sort of
 > real convergence between macOS and ios.  Here, we have several users
 > that are on surface pro's, because they can get the best of both
 > worlds in the windows universe on one device.

No worries, it'll happen, probably within just another year or two.

It's inevitable:  it doesn't make economic sense to create a different
OS for every form factor.

After all, what's really the difference between a laptop with a
detachable touch screen and a tablet with a docking keyboard?

As device types continue to diversify they also continue to overlap in
use cases.  Unifying the underpinnings makes good sense.

They're just taking their time with it.  They want it to be good.  And
then they're ready to announce it their convergence implementation will
likely be far better than Windows', and possibly even better than
Ubuntu's.  Ubuntu has a several-year head start, but _much_ smaller R&D
resources than one of the world's wealthiest multinationals.

And before folks reply with "But Time Cook said convergence ain't gonna
happen!", remember that Steve and/or Tim have also said Apple won't make
a tablet, won't get into the music business, and have no interest in
making a phone.  The company is famous for its secrecy, and misdirection
is a frequent part of that recipe to keep the competition guessing.

Re: [OT-ish] WWDC things of interest

Mike Kerner
Here's all I can say about Apple in the last few years.  Tim Cook is no
Steve Jobs.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 12:29 PM, Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Mike Kerner wrote:
>
> > I am also extremely disappointed that we are not seeing any sort of
> > real convergence between macOS and ios.  Here, we have several users
> > that are on surface pro's, because they can get the best of both
> > worlds in the windows universe on one device.
>
> No worries, it'll happen, probably within just another year or two.
>
> It's inevitable:  it doesn't make economic sense to create a different OS
> for every form factor.
>
> After all, what's really the difference between a laptop with a detachable
> touch screen and a tablet with a docking keyboard?
>
> As device types continue to diversify they also continue to overlap in use
> cases.  Unifying the underpinnings makes good sense.
>
> They're just taking their time with it.  They want it to be good.  And
> then they're ready to announce it their convergence implementation will
> likely be far better than Windows', and possibly even better than
> Ubuntu's.  Ubuntu has a several-year head start, but _much_ smaller R&D
> resources than one of the world's wealthiest multinationals.
>
> And before folks reply with "But Time Cook said convergence ain't gonna
> happen!", remember that Steve and/or Tim have also said Apple won't make a
> tablet, won't get into the music business, and have no interest in making a
> phone.  The company is famous for its secrecy, and misdirection is a
> frequent part of that recipe to keep the competition guessing.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: [OT-ish] WWDC things of interest

Mike Kerner
"All" means all.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 12:17 PM, Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]
> [...]

> menus in Ubuntu as they are on the Mac for better integration with Ubuntu
> Unity, but that's a different thread....
>

> > For those keeping score at home, I think there are now 5: Siri,
> > Google Now, Cortana, Alexa, and Dragon, serving different
> > platforms. It would therefore be great to have a way to get voice
> > recognition and voice feedback on all.
>
> There's also Mycroft AI, a free and open system that's been getting some
> good news coverage lately:
> https://mycroft.ai/
>
> They got seed funding from a very successful Kickstarter campaign:
> <
> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aiforeveryone/mycroft-an-open-source-artificial-intelligence-for
> >

> I met the devs at the SoCal Linux Expo a few months ago. Impressive team,
> impressive project. And being open source, anyone can tailor it for their

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Mike Kerner wrote:
 > Here's all I can say about Apple in the last few years.  Tim Cook is
 > no Steve Jobs.

Agreed, but at the risk of veering off into cheeseland here I'll say
that's not entirely a bad thing.

Steve was a gifted product designer, and indeed his loss is a loss for
not just Apple but all of us.  They'll continue to make good products,
but we haven't seen anything like the excitement he was able to
generate, and I'm not sure we ever will.  He was one of a kind.

But on balance, Cook seems a more cool-headed leader, less prone to the
sort of anger fits that gave us his Adobe revenge with the iOS SDK v4
Section 3.3.1 debacle, and others.  I can't imagine Cook would lie to
his oldest friend to trick him out of money he had earned.  And if Cook
had produced a child, I imagine he'd pay child support without a court
order.

And apparently, they even disagreed over whether mounting years of
expensive lawsuits was a smart thing to do:
<http://www.phonearena.com/news/Tim-Cook-said-No-to-suing-Samsung--but-Steve-Jobs-said-Yes_id39639>

After Steve passed Cook negotiated a truce with Samsung.

I don't think Jobs was a bad person, or even a bad leader.  Obviously he
did a lot of good for Apple's growth.  But we was definitely volatile,
and like many, complicated.

Personally, I feel I can rely on Cook more, that his stewardship may be
less interesting, but more predictable, in ways that benefit business
planning with such a partner.