[OT] self-expanding archives in Mac Classic

[OT] self-expanding archives in Mac Classic

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I have just downloaded a phonetic font I used in 1994 on Mac OS 7.1 when
I was
doing a Masters degree at SIUC Carbondale. It comes as a .cpt.hqx file.

On my iMac PPC G5 running Mac OS 10.4.11 and Classic 9.1.2 it expands
with Stuffit Expander for Mac OS 9 3.5
into a self-expanding archive, at which point I am quite unable to get
it to expand.

Can anyone help me in this respect?

Re: [OT] self-expanding archives in Mac Classic

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
What type of self expanding archive?
There are different versions of stuffit
expander and it might be a disk image
that needs to be mounted.

Macintosh Garden has expanders and
image mounters for just about any type
of archive.  They have a search engine
that will show a lot of applications and
I think they are your best solution.

Without more info thats all I can do.

JB

> On Feb 14, 2018, at 4:54 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have just downloaded a phonetic font I used in 1994 on Mac OS 7.1 when I was
> doing a Masters degree at SIUC Carbondale. It comes as a .cpt.hqx file.
>
> On my iMac PPC G5 running Mac OS 10.4.11 and Classic 9.1.2 it expands with Stuffit Expander for Mac OS 9 3.5
> into a self-expanding archive, at which point I am quite unable to get it to expand.
>
> Can anyone help me in this respect?
>
> Richmond.

Re: [OT] self-expanding archives in Mac Classic

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
It's an OS 9 executable. Unless you can open it in SheepShaver or some emulator, I think you will have to open it in a computer running OS 9.

Bob S

> On Feb 14, 2018, at 10:53 , JB via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On my iMac PPC G5 running Mac OS 10.4.11 and Classic 9.1.2 it expands with Stuffit Expander for Mac OS 9 3.5
>> into a self-expanding archive, at which point I am quite unable to get it to expand.
>>
>> Can anyone help me in this respect?
>>
>> Richmond.

Re: [OT] self-expanding archives in Mac Classic

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I have not used Classic OS 9 in years but since he
is using it why won’t it work in that?

JB

> On Feb 14, 2018, at 11:12 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It's an OS 9 executable. Unless you can open it in SheepShaver or some emulator, I think you will have to open it in a computer running OS 9.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Feb 14, 2018, at 10:53 , JB via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On my iMac PPC G5 running Mac OS 10.4.11 and Classic 9.1.2 it expands with Stuffit Expander for Mac OS 9 3.5
>>> into a self-expanding archive, at which point I am quite unable to get it to expand.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help me in this respect?
>>>
>>> Richmond.

Re: [OT] self-expanding archives in Mac Classic

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Is this something like what you are looking for?

https://www.vulgarlang.com/ipafonts.html

Re: [OT] self-expanding archives in Mac Classic

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Actually I managed to find a way to get Stuffit expander 3.5 on Mac OS 9
to do the job :)

Richmond.

On 14/2/2018 8:53 pm, JB via use-livecode wrote:

> What type of self expanding archive?
> There are different versions of stuffit
> expander and it might be a disk image
> that needs to be mounted.
>
> Macintosh Garden has expanders and
> image mounters for just about any type
> of archive.  They have a search engine
> that will show a lot of applications and
> I think they are your best solution.
>
> Without more info thats all I can do.
>
> JB
>

>> On Feb 14, 2018, at 4:54 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have just downloaded a phonetic font I used in 1994 on Mac OS 7.1 when I was
>> doing a Masters degree at SIUC Carbondale. It comes as a .cpt.hqx file.
>>
>> On my iMac PPC G5 running Mac OS 10.4.11 and Classic 9.1.2 it expands with Stuffit Expander for Mac OS 9 3.5
>> into a self-expanding archive, at which point I am quite unable to get it to expand.
>>
>> Can anyone help me in this respect?
>>
>> Richmond.

Re: [OT] self-expanding archives in Mac Classic

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
That is good!

JB