OT: system recommendation

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Sorry for the off topic question, but this is my most trusted place for
tech knowledge.  Appreciate any tips and advice (for a friend).

My friend is looking to buy or build a pc to do 4k video editing.  I know
the obvious part.. If you can afford more memory, add more memory.

After that, I'm lost.  intel vs amd?  For video, amd or nvidia or something
else?  Is there a synergy between choice of motherboard/cpu make/video
choice?  As for hard drive setup, i'm thinking a 500g ssd boot device and a
single 7200rpm 3tb or greater drive (drive space is CHEAP!)

I also don't know how important drive throughput is for vid processing.  I
know it matters, but how fast is fast enough?  Does it pay to set up a
striped set of 3 or 5 drives?  Or a hybrid drive?

Is it acceptable to do the processing on a non 4k monitor?

Unfortunately, cost IS a factor.  I know it boils down to how much cash one
wants to throw at it, but i'm looking for best bang for the buck, 1500 or
less.  (things could be bumped up later by adding mem, better monitor to
view output.

Oh, also, this will not be online editing (Which I assume to mean "live")
and will be video from a gopro so the bitrate won't be as intensive as say
a RED quality camera.

Thanks for any and all suggestions, and helping me provide better
recommendations to my friend.

Re: OT: system recommendation

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
This is really the wrong place.You can find out all you need on YouTube
videos.
However, due to my own experience, I would consider only a very recent
Macintosh system To work with 4K video. They provide the best bang for the
buck over any PC.  The video “card” is an Integral part of the computer and
system.
Also your friend really needs to figure out which editing program he’s
going to use FIRST and there are many... by the way, final cut Pro X for
the Mac is what I would suggest.   It’s the best deal at $300

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 02:02 Mike Bonner via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry for the off topic question, but this is my most trusted place for
> tech knowledge.  Appreciate any tips and advice (for a friend).
>
> My friend is looking to buy or build a pc to do 4k video editing.  I know
> the obvious part.. If you can afford more memory, add more memory.
>
> After that, I'm lost.  intel vs amd?  For video, amd or nvidia or something
> else?  Is there a synergy between choice of motherboard/cpu make/video
> choice?  As for hard drive setup, i'm thinking a 500g ssd boot device and a
> single 7200rpm 3tb or greater drive (drive space is CHEAP!)
>
> I also don't know how important drive throughput is for vid processing.  I
> know it matters, but how fast is fast enough?  Does it pay to set up a
> striped set of 3 or 5 drives?  Or a hybrid drive?
>
> Is it acceptable to do the processing on a non 4k monitor?
>
> Unfortunately, cost IS a factor.  I know it boils down to how much cash one
> wants to throw at it, but i'm looking for best bang for the buck, 1500 or
> less.  (things could be bumped up later by adding mem, better monitor to
> view output.
>
> Oh, also, this will not be online editing (Which I assume to mean "live")
> and will be video from a gopro so the bitrate won't be as intensive as say
> a RED quality camera.
>
> Thanks for any and all suggestions, and helping me provide better
> recommendations to my friend.

Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

Re: OT: system recommendation

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Thank you.

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 8:05 AM, Stephen Barncard via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is really the wrong place.You can find out all you need on YouTube
> videos.
> However, due to my own experience, I would consider only a very recent
> Macintosh system To work with 4K video. They provide the best bang for the
> buck over any PC.  The video “card” is an Integral part of the computer and
> system.
> Also your friend really needs to figure out which editing program he’s
> going to use FIRST and there are many... by the way, final cut Pro X for
> the Mac is what I would suggest.   It’s the best deal at $300
>
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 02:02 Mike Bonner via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Sorry for the off topic question, but this is my most trusted place for
> > tech knowledge.  Appreciate any tips and advice (for a friend).
> >
> > My friend is looking to buy or build a pc to do 4k video editing.  I know
> > the obvious part.. If you can afford more memory, add more memory.
> >
> > After that, I'm lost.  intel vs amd?  For video, amd or nvidia or
> something
> > else?  Is there a synergy between choice of motherboard/cpu make/video
> > choice?  As for hard drive setup, i'm thinking a 500g ssd boot device
> and a
> > single 7200rpm 3tb or greater drive (drive space is CHEAP!)
> >
> > I also don't know how important drive throughput is for vid processing.
> > know it matters, but how fast is fast enough?  Does it pay to set up a
> > striped set of 3 or 5 drives?  Or a hybrid drive?
> >
> > Is it acceptable to do the processing on a non 4k monitor?
> >
> > Unfortunately, cost IS a factor.  I know it boils down to how much cash
> one
> > wants to throw at it, but i'm looking for best bang for the buck, 1500 or
> > less.  (things could be bumped up later by adding mem, better monitor to
> > view output.
> >
> > Oh, also, this will not be online editing (Which I assume to mean "live")
> > and will be video from a gopro so the bitrate won't be as intensive as
> say
> > a RED quality camera.
> >
> > Thanks for any and all suggestions, and helping me provide better
> > recommendations to my friend.

> Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
> mixstream.org

Re: OT: system recommendation

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
If not data is being stored on the raid, and is only being used for post processing, then the more drives you add to a stripe, the faster it can be, with the limitation of the external interface. I hear Thunderbolt interfaces scream but are pricey.

Also, you will need to have some kind of backup for current projects. Last thing you want is to lose the stripe the day before final rendering. Ask me how I know. Barring that, a RAID 5 may be a better choice, but it's not as fast.

Bob S

> On Jan 10, 2018, at 02:01 , Mike Bonner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I also don't know how important drive throughput is for vid processing.  I
> know it matters, but how fast is fast enough?  Does it pay to set up a
> striped set of 3 or 5 drives?  Or a hybrid drive?

Re: OT: system recommendation

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Thanks Bob.  Yeah I've already been stressing the need for a backup
strategy. Possibly a combination of a freenas with zfs1 (3 drives, I
already have most of the parts to make it work) and nextcloud as part of
the strategy. (plus offline)  Love freenas.  (now i'm wondering if the
network would be quick enough to work off a share)  So much to learn.

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 9:44 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> If not data is being stored on the raid, and is only being used for post
> processing, then the more drives you add to a stripe, the faster it can be,
> with the limitation of the external interface. I hear Thunderbolt
> interfaces scream but are pricey.
>
> Also, you will need to have some kind of backup for current projects. Last
> thing you want is to lose the stripe the day before final rendering. Ask me
> how I know. Barring that, a RAID 5 may be a better choice, but it's not as
> fast.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Jan 10, 2018, at 02:01 , Mike Bonner via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I also don't know how important drive throughput is for vid processing.
> > know it matters, but how fast is fast enough?  Does it pay to set up a
> > striped set of 3 or 5 drives?  Or a hybrid drive?

Creating .ipa now that iTunes has depreciated apps.

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Well I finally updated iTunes and lost the ability to create an .ipa. I made
a right click context item in finder to get one click .ipa creation back.

If anyone want this:

1) Open up the Automater
2) Create new
3) Select "Run Shell Script" from left pane
4) Change "Pass input:" to "as arguments"
5) Paste in this script

current_path=$(dirname "$1")
cd "$current_path"

for f in "$@"
do
mkdir Payload
cp -r "$f" Payload/
base=$(basename $f)
base2="${base%.*}"
zip -r "$base2".zip Payload/
mv "$base2".zip "$base2".ipa
rm -R Payload/
done

6) Save and name it "Create ipa"

That's it.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services

Re: OT: system recommendation

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
For 4k post production, or even capture I would say that even a gigabit network may not suffice. Typically you would use a fiber channel, or as I said a high speed interface like SCSI or Thunderbolt. Unfortunately, an reliable and economical 4k capture and post production workflow is a contradiction in terms.

Bob S

> On Jan 10, 2018, at 09:10 , Mike Bonner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Bob.  Yeah I've already been stressing the need for a backup
> strategy. Possibly a combination of a freenas with zfs1 (3 drives, I
> already have most of the parts to make it work) and nextcloud as part of
> the strategy. (plus offline)  Love freenas.  (now i'm wondering if the
> network would be quick enough to work off a share)  So much to learn.

Re: Creating .ipa now that iTunes has depreciated apps.

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
I love a balanced IPA. ;-)

Bob S

> On Jan 10, 2018, at 09:42 , Ralph DiMola via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Well I finally updated iTunes and lost the ability to create an .ipa. I made
> a right click context item in finder to get one click .ipa creation back.
>
> If anyone want this:
>
> 1) Open up the Automater
> 2) Create new
> 3) Select "Run Shell Script" from left pane
> 4) Change "Pass input:" to "as arguments"
> 5) Paste in this script
>
> current_path=$(dirname "$1")
> cd "$current_path"
>
> for f in "$@"
> do
> mkdir Payload
> cp -r "$f" Payload/
> base=$(basename $f)
> base2="${base%.*}"
> zip -r "$base2".zip Payload/
> mv "$base2".zip "$base2".ipa
> rm -R Payload/
> done
>

> 6) Save and name it "Create ipa"
>

> That's it.
>
> Ralph DiMola
> IT Director
> Evergreen Information Services

Re: OT: system recommendation

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Thanks much Bob.  There is a definite adjustment being made in budget on
this.  Throwing money at a system that will "almost" work would be a very
bad thing.  I've been researching 10g ethernet, prices (for used cards, as
well as a couple new) are coming down which is nice, but costs are still
relatively high for us poor folk out here in the middle of nowhere.  I
think between you, and the reading and youtubing I've been doing i'm much
closer to understanding enough to help them decide.

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 2:59 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> For 4k post production, or even capture I would say that even a gigabit
> network may not suffice. Typically you would use a fiber channel, or as I
> said a high speed interface like SCSI or Thunderbolt. Unfortunately, an
> reliable and economical 4k capture and post production workflow is a
> contradiction in terms.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Jan 10, 2018, at 09:10 , Mike Bonner via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Bob.  Yeah I've already been stressing the need for a backup
> > strategy. Possibly a combination of a freenas with zfs1 (3 drives, I
> > already have most of the parts to make it work) and nextcloud as part of
> > the strategy. (plus offline)  Love freenas.  (now i'm wondering if the
> > network would be quick enough to work off a share)  So much to learn.

Re: Creating .ipa now that iTunes has depreciated apps.

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Give me a good stout any day, as the International

Phonetic Association get on my nerves.

Richmond.

On 11.01.2018 00:08, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:

> I love a balanced IPA. ;-)
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Jan 10, 2018, at 09:42 , Ralph DiMola via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Well I finally updated iTunes and lost the ability to create an .ipa. I made
>> a right click context item in finder to get one click .ipa creation back.
>>
>> If anyone want this:
>>
>> 1) Open up the Automater
>> 2) Create new
>> 3) Select "Run Shell Script" from left pane
>> 4) Change "Pass input:" to "as arguments"
>> 5) Paste in this script
>>
>> current_path=$(dirname "$1")
>> cd "$current_path"
>>
>> for f in "$@"
>> do
>> mkdir Payload
>> cp -r "$f" Payload/
>> base=$(basename $f)
>> base2="${base%.*}"
>> zip -r "$base2".zip Payload/
>> mv "$base2".zip "$base2".ipa
>> rm -R Payload/
>> done
>>

>> 6) Save and name it "Create ipa"
>>

>> That's it.
>>
>> Ralph DiMola
>> IT Director
>> Evergreen Information Services

Re: Creating .ipa now that iTunes has depreciated apps.

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Or (shameless promotion)

If you have a select group of registered iOS devices in your profile and you don't want to deal with iTunes connect at all for beta testing

pay Jacque the reasonable fee for her AirLaunch  "be done with it"

http://www.hyperactivesw.com/airlaunch/index.html

Then enjoy your IPA while AirLaunch makes Apple's IPA and the web page you send to your beta testers to open on Safari on their phones… "No Apple Corp in between" [sic]

On 1/10/18, 12:08 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Bob Sneidar via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    I love a balanced IPA. ;-)

Re: Creating .ipa now that iTunes has depreciated apps.

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
I second that. AirLaunch makes it really easy to create and share the .ipa

Matthias

Matthias Rebbe
Tel +49 5741 310000
https://matthiasrebbe.eu <https://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌