Obtaining the "active" Desktop/Monitor under OSX?

Obtaining the "active" Desktop/Monitor under OSX?

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
I remember when the multiple Desktop feature was introduced on OSX
(Yosemite I think?) there was a very active discussion on this email
list about how to tell what monitor (in a multiple monitor
configuration) your application was starting up on.

I have tried searching for this but my search keyword choices (or search
skills) are failing me.

Does anyone remember how to do this? Or can point me to the
answer/workaround from the discussion?

OR has anything been added to the LiveCode language in 8.x.x+ that lets
an app tell what monitor it is starting up on? I check the 8.1.4
Dictionary, but I could not find anything.

The 1st line of the screenrects is the "primary" monitor, which with the
OSX feature is not necessarily the monitor the app is launching on
running on (it has its menubar on)

Thank you in advance for any pointers/guidance.

Re: Obtaining the "active" Desktop/Monitor under OSX?

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
If I execute this

put (the loc of this stack is within -1440,-132,0,768)

on my primary screen, I get false in the message box.

Kind regards,

Mark Schonewille
http://economy-x-talk.com
https://www.facebook.com/marksch

Buy the most extensive book on the
LiveCode language:
http://livecodebeginner.economy-x-talk.com

Op 28-Jun-17 om 16:59 schreef Paul Dupuis via use-livecode:

> I remember when the multiple Desktop feature was introduced on OSX
> (Yosemite I think?) there was a very active discussion on this email
> list about how to tell what monitor (in a multiple monitor
> configuration) your application was starting up on.
>
> I have tried searching for this but my search keyword choices (or search
> skills) are failing me.
>
> Does anyone remember how to do this? Or can point me to the
> answer/workaround from the discussion?
>
> OR has anything been added to the LiveCode language in 8.x.x+ that lets
> an app tell what monitor it is starting up on? I check the 8.1.4
> Dictionary, but I could not find anything.
>
> The 1st line of the screenrects is the "primary" monitor, which with the
> OSX feature is not necessarily the monitor the app is launching on
> running on (it has its menubar on)
>
> Thank you in advance for any pointers/guidance.

Re: Obtaining the "active" Desktop/Monitor under OSX?

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
 I am not at my computer to confirm this but I believe the "screen
"property of a stack returns the number of the screen that the stack is on.
That number represents the line offset of the screen in the screenrects
property.

--
Trevor DeVore

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 9:59 AM Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I remember when the multiple Desktop feature was introduced on OSX
> (Yosemite I think?) there was a very active discussion on this email
> list about how to tell what monitor (in a multiple monitor
> configuration) your application was starting up on.
>
> I have tried searching for this but my search keyword choices (or search
> skills) are failing me.
>
> Does anyone remember how to do this? Or can point me to the
> answer/workaround from the discussion?
>
> OR has anything been added to the LiveCode language in 8.x.x+ that lets
> an app tell what monitor it is starting up on? I check the 8.1.4
> Dictionary, but I could not find anything.
>
> The 1st line of the screenrects is the "primary" monitor, which with the
> OSX feature is not necessarily the monitor the app is launching on
> running on (it has its menubar on)
>
> Thank you in advance for any pointers/guidance.

Re: Obtaining the "active" Desktop/Monitor under OSX?

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
confirmed.

Bob S

> On Jun 28, 2017, at 08:41 , Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am not at my computer to confirm this but I believe the "screen
> "property of a stack returns the number of the screen that the stack is on.
> That number represents the line offset of the screen in the screenrects
> property.
>
> --
> Trevor DeVore

Re: Obtaining the "active" Desktop/Monitor under OSX?

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Thank you all,

the screen of stack is the answer!