Odd data in message box

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
I get a bunch of data from my server.  In this array, there are some dates.  I roll through each one converting the date to local time:

function convertToLocalTime sTime  //sTime is already been converted to seconds format
  //convert the time using the hour offset for local time zone
  put word 6 of the internet date into timeOffset
  put (abs(timeOffset))*1 into timeOffset
  put timeOffset/100 into timeOffset
  if char 1 of timeOffset = "-" then
    put ((timeOffset*60)*60) into pTimeOffset
    put sTime - pTimeOffset into sTime
  else
    put sTime + ((timeOffset*60)*60) into sTime
  end if

  return sTime
end convertToLocalTime

There is no problem with this function, and it's producing the correct time.   However, when it's all said and done, I get this in the message box:

394,2185,1
465,2185,1
253,2185,1
241,2181,1,convertToLocalTime
353,0,0,stack "/Users/Dan1/Desktop/Ignite/MY App/App/main.livecode"
219,2130,9,convertToLocalTime
465,2130,9
253,2130,9
241,2129,1,convertKevinDate
353,0,0,stack "/Users/ Dan1/Desktop/Ignite/MY App/App/main.livecode"
219,38,41,convertKevinDate
119,38,41
118,38,41
118,38,41
465,38,41
241,38,1,FillInData
353,0,0,button id 1410 of card id 1406 of stack "Data Grid Templates 1571787360744" of stack "/Users/Dan1/Desktop/Ignite/MY App/App/main.livecode"
675,3536,1,FillInData
253,3536,1
253,3536,1
490,3536,1
253,3536,1

Any thoughts?

-Dan

RE: Odd data in message box

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
This what I get here in the eastern US time zone(gmt-4). Looks Correct to
me.

Command:

put the seconds into x;put convertToLocalTime(x) into y;convert x to
dateitems;convert y to dateitems;put x&cr&y

Message box results:

2020,10,16,12,20,25,6

2020,10,16,16,20,25,6

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

On 10/16/20 8:46 AM, Dan Friedman via use-livecode wrote:

> There is no problem with this function, and it's producing the correct time.   However, when it's all said and done, I get this in the message box:
>
> 394,2185,1

what's line 2185 look like?

Re: Odd data in message box

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Mark,

THANK YOU for the reply...   Line 2185 is:

        put sTime + ((timeOffset*60)*60) into sTime

function convertToLocalTime sTime  //sTime is already been converted to seconds format
  //convert the time using the hour offset for local time zone
  put word 6 of the internet date into timeOffset
  put (abs(timeOffset))*1 into timeOffset
  put timeOffset/100 into timeOffset
  if char 1 of timeOffset = "-" then
    put ((timeOffset*60)*60) into pTimeOffset
    put sTime - pTimeOffset into sTime
  else
    put sTime + ((timeOffset*60)*60) into sTime   //<----------------- 2185
  end if

  return sTime
end convertToLocalTime

Thank you!

Dan Friedman
CEO, ClearVision Technologies, LLC
Voice: 909/484-2052
http://www.clearvisiontech.com

On 10/16/20, 9:49 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Mark Wieder via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    On 10/16/20 8:46 AM, Dan Friedman via use-livecode wrote:

    > There is no problem with this function, and it's producing the correct time.   However, when it's all said and done, I get this in the message box:
    >
    > 394,2185,1

    what's line 2185 look like?

Re: Odd data in message box

On 10/16/20 10:46 AM, Dan Friedman via use-livecode wrote:

> There is no problem with this function, and it's producing the correct time.   However, when it's all said and done, I get this in the message box:
>
> 394,2185,1
> 465,2185,1
> 253,2185,1
> 241,2181,1,convertToLocalTime
> 353,0,0,stack "/Users/Dan1/Desktop/Ignite/MY App/App/main.livecode"
> 219,2130,9,convertToLocalTime
> 465,2130,9
> 253,2130,9
> 241,2129,1,convertKevinDate
> 353,0,0,stack "/Users/ Dan1/Desktop/Ignite/MY App/App/main.livecode"
> 219,38,41,convertKevinDate
> 119,38,41
> 118,38,41
> 118,38,41
> 465,38,41
> 241,38,1,FillInData
> 353,0,0,button id 1410 of card id 1406 of stack "Data Grid Templates 1571787360744" of stack "/Users/Dan1/Desktop/Ignite/MY App/App/main.livecode"
> 675,3536,1,FillInData
> 253,3536,1
> 253,3536,1
> 490,3536,1
> 253,3536,1

Here's a translation of the first few lines of the error codes (down through fillInData):

394 Operators +: error in left operand
465 put: error in expression
253 if-then: error in statement
241 Handler: error in statement
353 Object Name:
219 Function: error in function handler
465 put: error in expression
253 if-then: error in statement
241 Handler: error in statement
353 Object Name:
219 Function: error in function handler
119 Operators &: error in right operand
118 Operators &: error in left operand
118 Operators &: error in left operand
465 put: error in expression
241 Handler: error in statement

Re: Odd data in message box

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Mark and Jacque,

Thank you for your assistance.  There was invalid data in sTime.  Interestingly, it wasn't from the data I was loading... it was old data coming from a reference to an array in a datagrid.  Setting the datagrid's Persistent Data to false resolved the problem.

A couple follow up questions:

1. Why didn't the debugger throw an error?  Instead, it put this error chunk in the message box?
2. Where did Jacque get that list of codes?   Is there some support docs I don't know about that explain these types of thing?

Again, thank you both for your help.  What would we do without this list, and the talented and helpful people on it?!

-Dan

On 10/16/20, 12:36 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Mark Wieder via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    On 10/16/20 9:57 AM, Dan Friedman wrote:
    > Mark,
    >
    > THANK YOU for the reply...   Line 2185 is:
    >
    > put sTime + ((timeOffset*60)*60) into sTime

    That's what I thought. The error you're getting (see Jacque's annotated
    list) is pointing to an invalid value for sTime in some iteration of
    that function call. My guess is either sTime is empty or not a numeric
    value.

    Try something like this to pinpoint the error:

       if char 1 of timeOffset = "-" then
         put ((timeOffset*60)*60) into pTimeOffset
         put sTime - pTimeOffset into sTime
       else
         try
             put sTime + ((timeOffset*60)*60) into sTime
         catch e
             put the sTime & cr executionContexts & cr after msg
         end try

Re: Odd data in message box

On 10/17/20 10:13 AM, Dan Friedman wrote:

> 2. Where did Jacque get that list of codes?   Is there some support docs I don't know about that explain these types of thing?

The error texts are in a global property, but there's a definite
catch22ness involved because you have to know it's there in order to
find it in the dictionary:
put the scriptExecutionErrors

In PowerDebug I added a helper function so that from the messagebox you
can say

put explainerror(219)

which is basically just a wrapper:

function explainError pError
   return line pError of the scriptExecutionErrors
end explainError

Re: Odd data in message box

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
On 10/17/20 10:13 AM, Dan Friedman wrote:

> 1. Why didn't the debugger throw an error?  Instead, it put this error chunk in the message box?

Dunno. I can't replicate your experience. Somewhat higher in your stack
or in the message path?

If I try this on my system with an invalid sTime value the debugger gets
triggered. If I take PowerDebug out of the picture I still end up in the
builtin debugger. If I then check Suppress Errors from the menubar then
the stack locks up on the error.

Re: Odd data in message box

On 10/17/20 12:13 PM, Dan Friedman via use-livecode wrote:
> Where did Jacque get that list of codes?

 From a plugin Richard and I wrote some years ago. It dynamically loads the error list based on
the version of LC you're using. You can look up individual codes, or paste in a list of errors
which is what I did with your report.

You can get the plugin from Sample Stacks in the LC toolbar; search for "LiveCode Error
Lookup". Or in your browser here: <http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/712/LiveCode-Error-Lookup>

Re: Odd data in message box

J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 10/17/20 12:13 PM, Dan Friedman via use-livecode wrote:
>> Where did Jacque get that list of codes?
>
>  From a plugin Richard and I wrote some years ago. It dynamically loads the error list based on
> the version of LC you're using. You can look up individual codes, or paste in a list of errors
> which is what I did with your report.

Tools like that can be useful at runtime to help fill out logs and such.

But I've been seeing a surprising number of conversations here and in
the forums suggesting that people are seeing raw error info in the IDE.

If that's true, what broke with the IDE's more guided error handling?

Re: Odd data in message box

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
If there's an errorDialog handler, errors bypass the IDE. That's one way it
could happen.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On October 17, 2020 4:06:03 PM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> J. Landman Gay wrote:
>> On 10/17/20 12:13 PM, Dan Friedman via use-livecode wrote:
>>> Where did Jacque get that list of codes?
>>
>>  From a plugin Richard and I wrote some years ago. It dynamically loads the
>>  error list based on
>> the version of LC you're using. You can look up individual codes, or paste
>> in a list of errors
>> which is what I did with your report.
>
> Tools like that can be useful at runtime to help fill out logs and such.
>
> But I've been seeing a surprising number of conversations here and in
> the forums suggesting that people are seeing raw error info in the IDE.
>
> If that's true, what broke with the IDE's more guided error handling?
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

Re: Odd data in message box

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
True, but what would anyone go out of their way to write an error
handler that provides less useful information than what LC provides if
left alone?

And some of the error info I see shared in the forums is from newer
users, who seem unlikely to have ventured into the relatively arcane
world of custom error processing.

I hope I simply misunderstand what I've been seeing, that perhaps there
isn't something broken in recent versions of the IDE's error handling.

@Dan: Do you have a custom errorDialog handler in your message path?

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> If there's an errorDialog handler, errors bypass the IDE. That's one way it
> could happen.
>
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw.com
> On October 17, 2020 4:06:03 PM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
> <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
>> J. Landman Gay wrote:
>>>
>>>  From a plugin Richard and I wrote some years ago. It dynamically loads the
>>>  error list based on
>>> the version of LC you're using. You can look up individual codes, or paste
>>> in a list of errors
>>> which is what I did with your report.
>>
>> Tools like that can be useful at runtime to help fill out logs and such.
>>
>> But I've been seeing a surprising number of conversations here and in
>> the forums suggesting that people are seeing raw error info in the IDE.
>>
>> If that's true, what broke with the IDE's more guided error handling?
>>
>> --
>>  Richard Gaskin

Re: Odd data in message box

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
When you build a standalone there's an option to report errors in an email
or a file. The purpose is to allow users to send error info to the
developer. These are raw error messages like Dan saw and are of no use to
the user, so translating them makes no sense.

But you're right that new users probably don't have an errorDialog handler.
I've seen error lists appear in the message box too, but I do have that
handler in the stack script.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On October 18, 2020 11:45:01 AM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> True, but what would anyone go out of their way to write an error
> handler that provides less useful information than what LC provides if
> left alone?
>
> And some of the error info I see shared in the forums is from newer
> users, who seem unlikely to have ventured into the relatively arcane
> world of custom error processing.
>
> I hope I simply misunderstand what I've been seeing, that perhaps there
> isn't something broken in recent versions of the IDE's error handling.
>
> In Dan's message from yesterday he wrote:
>
>   1. Why didn't the debugger throw an error?  Instead, it put this error
>      chunk in the message box?
>
> @Dan: Do you have a custom errorDialog handler in your message path?
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems
>

> J. Landman Gay wrote:
>> If there's an errorDialog handler, errors bypass the IDE. That's one way it
>> could happen.
>>
>> --
>> Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw.com
>> HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com
>> On October 17, 2020 4:06:03 PM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
>> <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:

>>> Tools like that can be useful at runtime to help fill out logs and such.
>>>
>>> But I've been seeing a surprising number of conversations here and in
>>> the forums suggesting that people are seeing raw error info in the IDE.
>>>
>>> If that's true, what broke with the IDE's more guided error handling?
>>>
>>> --
>>>  Richard Gaskin

Re: Odd data in message box

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
//@Dan: Do you have a custom errorDialog handler in your message path?

I do not.

-Dan

    J. Landman Gay wrote:
    > If there's an errorDialog handler, errors bypass the IDE. That's one way it
    > could happen.
    >
    > --
    > Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw.com
    > On October 17, 2020 4:06:03 PM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
    > <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
    >
    >> J. Landman Gay wrote:
    >>>
    >>>  From a plugin Richard and I wrote some years ago. It dynamically loads the
    >>>  error list based on
    >>> the version of LC you're using. You can look up individual codes, or paste
    >>> in a list of errors
    >>> which is what I did with your report.
    >>
    >> Tools like that can be useful at runtime to help fill out logs and such.
    >>
    >> But I've been seeing a surprising number of conversations here and in
    >> the forums suggesting that people are seeing raw error info in the IDE.
    >>
    >> If that's true, what broke with the IDE's more guided error handling?
    >>
    >> --
    >>  Richard Gaskin

Re: Odd data in message box

On 10/18/20 10:56 AM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:

I've seen error lists appear in the message box too

I've seen that sometimes as well, but don't have a repeatable recipe. I
just always assume it's something screwy with my code.