Online Programming Environment

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I was "over here" just now:

https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/dozens-free-online-programming-environments.htm

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/codingground.htm

and thought that a version of LiveCode (7.1.4 perhaps) available as an
online
thing might be a good 'hook'.

Re: Online Programming Environment

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
i can't see it being too hard to make a sandbox on the server....

its a good idea. thanks richmond.  should we file this as feature request?

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 11:15 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was "over here" just now:
>
> https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/dozens-free-online-
> programming-environments.htm
>
> http://www.tutorialspoint.com/codingground.htm
>
> and thought that a version of LiveCode (7.1.4 perhaps) available as an
> online
> thing might be a good 'hook'.
>
> Richmond.

Re: Online Programming Environment

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
With LC's main benefits being rapid deployment of GUI apps, this sort of
CLI can be useful for some things but not a key value driver for the
company.

But I agree it wouldn't be hard to do.  For those who want it, why not
just make it?

- rg

Tom Glod wrote:

> i can't see it being too hard to make a sandbox on the server....
>
> its a good idea. thanks richmond.  should we file this as feature request?
>
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 11:15 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
>
>> I was "over here" just now:
>>
>> https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/dozens-free-online-
>> programming-environments.htm
>>
>> http://www.tutorialspoint.com/codingground.htm
>>
>> and thought that a version of LiveCode (7.1.4 perhaps) available as an
>> online
>> thing might be a good 'hook'.
>>
>> Richmond.

Re: Online Programming Environment

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I think the premise was for new users to discover it in that.  I may look
into it when there is more time ...... i wouldn't have much use for it
myself though.

Tom Glod wrote:

> I think the premise was for new users to discover it in that.  I may look
> into it when there is more time ...... i wouldn't have much use for it
> myself though.

Exactly.

I've found it useful to go through the Bugzilla request queue a couple
times a year and see what folks are asking for.  Some really great ideas
there.  Many require engine engineering.

Taking engine programmers off the engine to do work any scripter can do
slows down development of the engine we all rely on.

And if the scriptable task isn't even something we'd use, just how
useful would it be to others?

So many good and powerful things to do in the world, but if we really
thing about it many are things we can do ourselves.  When we realize
that, we're able to have what we want much sooner.

That is, if it's something we really want. :)

Re: Online Programming Environment

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Exactly: the key word in my posting was "hook".

Obviously an online version of LiveCode would have to be a cut-down version;
but it should be sufficient to generate interest in the whole shebang.

I have had conversations with many people who "cannot be a*sed" to download
LiveCode and install it 'just' to try it out (which, in my opinion,
doesn't say very
much for them); so, by having an easily accessible online version to
"dangle under
their noses", that lassitude/passivity may be circumvented.

Richmond.