Open Language and stability

Graham Samuel-4
The discussion about Open Language is interesting, and the idea may well be a good thing. But I for one would rather hear that for the actual development team, delivering a rock-solid version of LiveCode on all supported platforms is taking a massive priority over even thinking about this stuff. Peter Brett, can you reassure me, as a member of the use list?

Graham

Re: Open Language and stability

Geoff Canyon-4
As someone who *really* wants open language, I completely agree with this.

gc

> On Oct 25, 2015, at 7:06 AM, Graham Samuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The discussion about Open Language is interesting, and the idea may well be a good thing. But I for one would rather hear that for the actual development team, delivering a rock-solid version of LiveCode on all supported platforms is taking a massive priority over even thinking about this stuff. Peter Brett, can you reassure me, as a member of the use list?
>
> Graham

Re: Open Language and stability

[-hh]
> Graham Samuel wrote:
> The discussion about Open Language is interesting, and the idea may well be a good thing. But I for one would rather hear that for the actual development team, delivering a rock-solid version of LiveCode on all supported platforms is taking a massive priority over even thinking about this stuff. Peter Brett, can you reassure me, as a member of the use list?

They do take priority. Look at the output. Especially PeterBrett with HTML5, where he also has to be at the top of new internet wording/language. By coding only he is not challenged ("er ist unterfordert" in german words).

And honestly, RichmondMatth demonstrates here once again his wonderful treasury of words, he should write a monthly feuilleton "Around LiveCode", with annotations by MarkWieder (I love his impish humour).

There were a lot of really good arguments in this discussion, we need time to think about it.

Perhaps MarkWadd and the team should think from time to time about a basic set of words and phrasing options oriented on (the idea of) Ogden's Basic English?
Currently commandNames+functionNames+constantNames+propertyNames add up to over thousand words, Ogden's first list had 800 words.

Open language doesn't mean to only to add words to the basic set of words, one could also start with diminishing to #codeEssentials and add to that.

No problems will arise, there will be a translator to the #codeEssentials, just as there is one from English to Ogden's Basic English.

Re: Open Language and stability

[-hh]
"RichmondMatth" should read "RichmondMath".

Sorry Richmond, that was a 'Freundian slip' ;-)

Re: Open Language and stability

Graham Samuel-4
I **am** looking at the output. I love LiveCode, but there is more than one version current, there are many bugs, there are many deficiencies in the documentation... What would your advice be to a fairly non-technical person plunging into the LiveCode pool today for the first time and not wanting his or her ankles nibbled off by unexpected piranhas? And for that person's chosen platform, where would you tell them to look for advice on deployment?

Graham

PS
1 - The rest of your text belongs in the 'Open Language' discussion, IMHO.
2 - When I describe my imaginary newbie as 'non-technical', I mean not much used to programming, but almost certainly highly expert in their chosen field and looking to LiveCode as the shortest route to some necessary computational assistance.

Sent from my iPad

On 25 Oct 2015, at 15:14, hh <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Graham Samuel wrote:
>> The discussion about Open Language is interesting, and the idea may well be a good thing. But I for one would rather hear that for the actual development team, delivering a rock-solid version of LiveCode on all supported platforms is taking a massive priority over even thinking about this stuff. Peter Brett, can you reassure me, as a member of the use list?
>
> They do take priority. Look at the output. Especially PeterBrett with HTML5, where he also has to be at the top of new internet wording/language. By coding only he is not challenged ("er ist unterfordert" in german words).

Re: Open Language and stability

Kevin Miller-2
Absolutely. Open Language is at the very end of the list. The cake has to
be fully risen before we add icing.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller ~ [hidden email] ~ http://www.livecode.com/
LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

On 25/10/2015 13:59, "use-livecode on behalf of Geoff Canyon"
<[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]>
wrote:

>As someone who *really* wants open language, I completely agree with
>this.
>
>gc
>
>> On Oct 25, 2015, at 7:06 AM, Graham Samuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The discussion about Open Language is interesting, and the idea may
>>well be a good thing. But I for one would rather hear that for the
>>actual development team, delivering a rock-solid version of LiveCode on
>>all supported platforms is taking a massive priority over even thinking
>>about this stuff. Peter Brett, can you reassure me, as a member of the
>>use list?
>>
>> Graham

Re: Open Language and stability

Colin Holgate-3
Is it cheesecake?

> On Oct 25, 2015, at 11:45 AM, Kevin Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Absolutely. Open Language is at the very end of the list. The cake has to
> be fully risen before we add icing.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Kevin
>
> Kevin Miller ~ [hidden email] ~ http://www.livecode.com/
> LiveCode: Everyone can create apps
>

> On 25/10/2015 13:59, "use-livecode on behalf of Geoff Canyon"
> <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> As someone who *really* wants open language, I completely agree with
>> this.
>>
>> gc
>>
>>> On Oct 25, 2015, at 7:06 AM, Graham Samuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The discussion about Open Language is interesting, and the idea may
>>> well be a good thing. But I for one would rather hear that for the
>>> actual development team, delivering a rock-solid version of LiveCode on
>>> all supported platforms is taking a massive priority over even thinking
>>> about this stuff. Peter Brett, can you reassure me, as a member of the
>>> use list?
>>>
>>> Graham

Re: Open Language and stability

mwieder
On 10/25/2015 08:45 AM, Kevin Miller wrote:
> Absolutely. Open Language is at the very end of the list. The cake has to
> be fully risen before we add icing.

Cake!
They told me there would be cake!

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Open Language and stability

Martin Koob
Someone will be really cheesed off if RunRev has now made a promise of cake with icing and it is not delivered or delivered without icing.

Martin

Re: Open Language and stability

Richmond Mathewson-2

On 25/10/15 17:45, Kevin Miller wrote:
> Absolutely. Open Language is at the very end of the list. The cake has to
> be fully risen before we add icing.

Aah: super, at last; but "by Gum" it takes a lot of 'heavy-lifting' to
get this sort of definite statement.

Love, Richmond.

P.S. What's the cherry, then?

On 25/10/15 17:57, Martin Koob wrote:
> Someone will be really cheesed off if RunRev has now made a promise of cake
> with icing and it is not delivered or delivered without icing.
>
> Martin

Seedcake doesn't have icing: only things that get stuck between your
teeth . . .

R.

JB

Re: Open Language and stability

JB

> On Oct 25, 2015, at 8:45 AM, Kevin Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Absolutely. Open Language is at the very end of the list. The cake has to
> be fully risen before we add icing.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Kevin
>
> Kevin Miller ~ [hidden email] ~ http://www.livecode.com/
> LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

You should probably give it a little time
to cool off too, because I put the icing
on too soon once and it just melted.

JB

Re: Open Language and stability

Kevin Miller
We did not promise a cherry. We are not going to promise a cherry. No cherry is planned. We will not be held accountable for non-delivery of said item.

On 25/10/15 18:59, Kevin Miller wrote:
> We did not promise a cherry. We are not going to promise a cherry. No cherry is planned. We will not be held accountable for non-delivery of said item.

Now, that's odd: I'm sure the word "cherry" occurred somewhere on a
web-page that has somehow, subsequently been deleted . . . .

Richmond.

On 10/25/2015 09:59 AM, Kevin Miller wrote:
> We did not promise a cherry. We are not going to promise a cherry. No cherry is planned. We will not be held accountable for non-delivery of said item.

Can we crowd-source funding for a cherry?
Who's with me on this?

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

On 25/10/15 19:10, Mark Wieder wrote:
> On 10/25/2015 09:59 AM, Kevin Miller wrote:
>> We did not promise a cherry. We are not going to promise a cherry. No
>> cherry is planned. We will not be held accountable for non-delivery
>> of said item.
>
> Can we crowd-source funding for a cherry?
> Who's with me on this?

+1

Re: Open Language and stability

J. Landman Gay
On 10/25/2015 12:10 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
> On 10/25/2015 09:59 AM, Kevin Miller wrote:
>> We did not promise a cherry. We are not going to promise a cherry. No
>> cherry is planned. We will not be held accountable for non-delivery of
>> said item.
>
> Can we crowd-source funding for a cherry?
> Who's with me on this?

Make your own cherry with LCB and give the first couple of versions away
for free. Then somewhere just after version 3 you could sell a more
expensive chocolate-covered version and call it Cherry Pi.

Re: Open Language and stability

Monte Goulding

> On 26 Oct 2015, at 4:10 am, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Can we crowd-source funding for a cherry?
> Who's with me on this?

I’m happy to donate cherries from our cherry tree but you will need to crowd fund for the shipping from Tasmania to Edinburgh and to cover the costs of cherry - cake integration.

Re: Open Language and stability

[-hh]
> Mark Wieder wrote:
> Can we crowd-source funding for a cherry?
> Who's with me on this?

 __.--~~.,-.__
   `~-._.-(`-.__`-.
           \    `~~`
      .--./ \
     /#   \  \.--.
     \    /  /#   \
      '--'   \    /
              '--'

....................................?I???II??II????II?I????I?????I????????????+.
888.....888.O888.....8888.8888888 ..??I??......??I?......?II.......I?+......III.