Open source iOS and Android

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
It is my understanding that apps created with the Community version of LiveCode are open source.  If so, how to you know what apps on the apps stores (Apple and Google) are created with LiveCode and how do you request a copy of the source code?  I have never published a LC app and am still in the learning stages.  I would like to know how I can actually have a look at other people's source code for learning purposes.

Linda

Re: Open source iOS and Android

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Hi Linda,

To best of my knowledge, you can’t use the Community version to build apps for iOS. So, the source code isn’t automatically available from developers… but, within the IDE of LiveCode, select the Sample Stacks… all sorts of options there with code available for viewing.

be well,
randy hengst

> On Jun 22, 2018, at 8:50 PM, Linda Miller, DVM via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It is my understanding that apps created with the Community version of LiveCode are open source.  If so, how to you know what apps on the apps stores (Apple and Google) are created with LiveCode and how do you request a copy of the source code?  I have never published a LC app and am still in the learning stages.  I would like to know how I can actually have a look at other people's source code for learning purposes.
>
> Linda

Re: Open source iOS and Android

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Hi Linda .... I hope this can help you on your journey of learning livecode
mobile development.

http://www.allitebooks.in/livecode-mobile-development-beginners-guide/

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 2:37 PM, Randy Hengst via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Linda,
>
> To best of my knowledge, you can’t use the Community version to build apps
> for iOS. So, the source code isn’t automatically available from developers…
> but, within the IDE of LiveCode, select the Sample Stacks… all sorts of
> options there with code available for viewing.
>
> be well,
> randy hengst
>
> > On Jun 22, 2018, at 8:50 PM, Linda Miller, DVM via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > It is my understanding that apps created with the Community version of
> LiveCode are open source.  If so, how to you know what apps on the apps
> stores (Apple and Google) are created with LiveCode and how do you request
> a copy of the source code?  I have never published a LC app and am still in
> the learning stages.  I would like to know how I can actually have a look
> at other people's source code for learning purposes.
> >
> > Linda

Re: Open source iOS and Android

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
I contacted Colin to see if it was him who has allowed his book to be
downloaded for free..... it was not.  He doesn't mind, but says the
publisher might.  here is a link.

https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/livecode-mobile-development-beginners-guide-second-edition

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 4:13 PM, Tom Glod <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Linda .... I hope this can help you on your journey of learning
> livecode mobile development.
>
> http://www.allitebooks.in/livecode-mobile-development-beginners-guide/
>

> On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 2:37 PM, Randy Hengst via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Linda,
>>
>> To best of my knowledge, you can’t use the Community version to build
>> apps for iOS. So, the source code isn’t automatically available from
>> developers… but, within the IDE of LiveCode, select the Sample Stacks… all
>> sorts of options there with code available for viewing.
>>
>> be well,
>> randy hengst
>>
>> > On Jun 22, 2018, at 8:50 PM, Linda Miller, DVM via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > It is my understanding that apps created with the Community version of
>> LiveCode are open source.  If so, how to you know what apps on the apps
>> stores (Apple and Google) are created with LiveCode and how do you request
>> a copy of the source code?  I have never published a LC app and am still in
>> the learning stages.  I would like to know how I can actually have a look
>> at other people's source code for learning purposes.
>> >
>> > Linda

Re: Open source iOS and Android

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Linda

Do you know GIT?

A lot of us (developers) have "stuff on GIT" . You do a deep search through mailings

Search for "https://github.com/

And you will find the public repositories. I am sure you will find plenty!

Here is one example (be sure to get the nightly branch)

https://github.com/Himalayan-Academy/Siva-Siva-App/tree/nightly

While it may not help you "produce apps" there are lots of cool code in stacks on RevOnLine.

Once you can have app to publish, you can go to lessons at the LiveCode site. To get you start with being an "Android developer" (hopefully they upgrade that lesson, soon!)

Since you are "starting from scratch" ... I don't you history in other languages, but you might check on "Levure"

BR

On 6/22/18, 3:50 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Linda Miller, DVM via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    It is my understanding that apps created with the Community version of LiveCode are open source.  If so, how to you know what apps on the apps stores (Apple and Google) are created with LiveCode and how do you request a copy of the source code?  I have never published a LC app and am still in the learning stages.  I would like to know how I can actually have a look at other people's source code for learning purposes.

    Linda

RE: Open source iOS and Android

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
My original question is about the Community version of LC.  If apps built with it are supposed to be open source, is there a "place" where the developers "share" their apps.  How do we know what people have created in order to request a copy?  I personally would like to "meet" other developers of medical, scientific, pharmaceutical, dental and especially veterinary apps if there are any around.

Thank you for the link.  I already own the book but have not read all of it yet. I also have access to many sources of code like everyone else on the LiveCode website and other sites.

I know (obviously about this list) and about the forums on LC's website. I have Google'd and found a fair number of sites that people have posted code and apps long before the Community version was available.

Thanks,
Linda

RE: Open source iOS and Android

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Thank you, BR, for the suggestion!

"Do you know GIT?
A lot of us (developers) have "stuff on GIT" . You do a deep search through mailings
Search for "https://github.com/ <https://github.com/>"
Linda