PDF to JPEG

Ray Horsley-2
Anybody know of a way to convert a single PDF file (with multiple pages) to
multiple JPEG files?

Thanks,

Ray Horsley
LinkIt! Software

Re: PDF to JPEG

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 01/18/2011 11:28 PM, Ray Horsley wrote:
> Anybody know of a way to convert a single PDF file (with multiple pages) to
> multiple JPEG files?

GIMP; a bit tedious; i.e. page by page, but it is FREE.

> Thanks,
>
> Ray Horsley
> LinkIt! Software

RE: PDF to JPEG

Ray Horsley-2
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I need to do this from within LiveCode.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Ray Horsley
LinkIt! Software

On 01/18/2011 11:28 PM, Ray Horsley wrote:
> Anybody know of a way to convert a single PDF file (with multiple
> pages) to multiple JPEG files?

GIMP; a bit tedious; i.e. page by page, but it is FREE.

> Thanks,
>
> Ray Horsley
> LinkIt! Software

RE: PDF to JPEG

Roger Eller
I have never used this software, but being a command-line tool, you should
be able to call it from Rev via shell, assuming you are using Windows.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Business/Document_Management_Tools/e_PDF_PDF_To_Thumbnail_Converter.html

Key features:
1. PDF to Thumbnail Command Line can convert PDF files to JPG, JPEG, TIFF,
BMP, PNG, GIF, TGA, PCX, PNM, RAS, PBM, etc. images;
2. PDF to Thumbnail Command Line supports Password Protected PDF files;
3. PDF to Thumbnail Command Line can specify any resolution from 10 to 1200
dpi in the generated image files;
... and more...

~Roger

> Sorry, I should have mentioned that I need to do this from within
LiveCode.

> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray Horsley
> LinkIt! Software

  I don't think this is possible in Livecode qua Livecode; you might be
able to send a signal
to another program that has the capability you want from within LiveCode.

As far as I know PDF and Livecode don't really mix. I did, for what it
is worth, manage to import
a PDF file as a text file, but that doesn't bring us nearer to any image
formats.

If you have a Mac this might be some sort of help:

http://www.documentsnap.com/applescript-easily-convert-pdf-documents-to-jpg-or-png/

RE: PDF to JPEG

Ray Horsley-2
I've looked briefly at Roger Eller's suggestion:

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Business/Document_Management_Tools/e_PDF_
PDF_To_Thumbnail_Converter.html

I'll try hooking into this via the shell function.  Hopefully that'll split
these up for me.

Thanks,

Ray Horsley
LinkIt! Software

On 01/18/2011 11:28 PM, Ray Horsley wrote:
> Anybody know of a way to convert a single PDF file (with multiple
> pages) to multiple JPEG files?

  I don't think this is possible in Livecode qua Livecode; you might be able
to send a signal to another program that has the capability you want from
within LiveCode.

As far as I know PDF and Livecode don't really mix. I did, for what it is
worth, manage to import a PDF file as a text file, but that doesn't bring us
nearer to any image formats.

If you have a Mac this might be some sort of help:

http://www.documentsnap.com/applescript-easily-convert-pdf-documents-to-jpg-
or-png/

Re: PDF to JPEG

AndyP
Hi Ray,

If Windows then no extra software is needed.

1) Open PDF

2) Go – File – Print

3) Change printer to “Microsoft Office Document Image Writer” (most XP and Vista computers will have this installed)

4) Bottom of page, tick box “Print to File”

5) Click Properties, go to Advanced tab and change file path to where you want the file saved, click OK

6) Click OK, when box for File Name comes up, name the file and add extension (ie: .jpg) on the end.

7) Check location you saved the file to, there should be a .jpg image of your .pdf document.

Andy Piddock

TinyIDE a Free alternative minimalist IDE Plugin for LiveCode

Script editor Themer for LC http://2108.co.uk

PointandSee is a FREE simple but full featured under cursor colour picker / finder. http://www.pointandsee.co.uk - made with LiveCode

RE: PDF to JPEG

Ray Horsley-2
Andy,

Thanks for these steps.  Unfortunately they don't work so well on Windows 7 (all I have installed is Microsoft XPS Document Writer) but in any event I really need something I can use in scripts.

Thanks,

Ray

Re: PDF to JPEG

Matthias Rebbe
Hi Ray,

you could use a 3rd party tool named ImageMagick. It is commandline based, is available for Mac OS X, Windows and Unix and can be used with the shell() function.
I used it in one of my apps to add a logo to images. Maybe you give it a try.

Regards,

Matthias
Am 20.01.2011 um 00:05 schrieb Ray Horsley:

> Andy,
>
> Thanks for these steps.  Unfortunately they don't work so well on Windows 7 (all I have installed is Microsoft XPS Document Writer) but in any event I really need something I can use in scripts.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

RE: PDF to JPEG

AndyP
I don't think you will be able to do this from within LiveCode.

How about Imagemagick http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

This is free to use and has command line options for convertion.
Andy Piddock

TinyIDE a Free alternative minimalist IDE Plugin for LiveCode

Script editor Themer for LC http://2108.co.uk

PointandSee is a FREE simple but full featured under cursor colour picker / finder. http://www.pointandsee.co.uk - made with LiveCode

RE: PDF to JPEG

Ray Horsley-2
Andy,

Thanks for this suggestion.  Several other guys on the list also think this
is the best route.  I'm looking into ImageMagick now.

Ray

Ray Horsley wrote:
> Andy,
>
> Thanks for this suggestion.  Several other guys on the list also think
this
> is the best route.  I'm looking into ImageMagick now.
>
> Ray

And another command-line tool to try is ghostscript.
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

I used it a long time ago on WinXP (Ghostscript version 8.54) with a script
similar to this:

on convertPDF2JPEG
  -- put the path to GhostScript into tEXEpath
  -- put GIF or JPEG into tIMGformat
  -- put 300 into tIMGresolution
  -- put the path to a PDF into tSourcePDFfile
  -- put the path to your new image file into tTargetFile
  set the hideConsoleWindows to true -- eliminate CMD pop-up
  put tEXEpath && "-dPrinted -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=" & tIMGformat \
      && "-r" & tIMGresolution & "x" & tIMGresolution && "-sOutputFile="  &
quote \
      & tTargetFile & quote && quote & tSourcePDFfile & quote && "-c quit"
into shellcmd
  get shell(shellcmd)
end convertPDF2JPEG

~Roger

RE: PDF to JPEG

Ray Horsley-2
Many thanks to the suggestions regarding converting PDF files to JPEG's!
The solution I've found works best for my purposes is E-PdfConverter. It's a
little pricy and documentation for it is nearly non-existent (I still can't
even figure out how to enter the license I bought) but it does work well.
If anybody has any idea how to enter a license codes into these command line
types of tools please let me know.  Otherwise I should hear back from the
company (eventually).

Thanks,

Ray