PDFs in QT Player -- Hot Links Challenge

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

PDFs in QT Player -- Hot Links Challenge

Sivakatirswami
Goal: Show PDF's inside a Revolution QT player object with PDF  
hyperlinks clickable.

Tests so far, can someone confirm? (even better tell us how to do it)

1) Create PDF spread of two pages of a magazine, source is IDCS2,  
target format is Acrobat 7.0

2) open Rev, create player object, point the player to the PDF file..  
it appears... And, what is even better... on zoom in (scale up) the  
text looks really great!

3) Go back to IDCS2, hyper link a URL on the page. Output to PDF  
again.. check the PDF.. The hyperlink is working, it's hot, click and  
it will open the web site in acrobat, or your browser (your choice)

4) Go back to Rev. Point the player now to the PDF that has the  
hypertext link.

:-( player object goes blank...

OK ? is it QT or Revolution? Let's find out....

5) drop the PDF with hypertext link on QT Player... it opens...  
hyperlink is not there. But QT will at least show the file as a  
single movie frame.

6) back to Revolution, Toggle the filename of the player object between
     a) the same page/PDF  with no links: it appears in Revolution
      b) the same page with one hyperlink: player goes blank.

Conclusion: Revolution will not import the PDF with an embedded  
Hypertext link into a QT player object.

Our expectations for inter-application file format interoperability  
here are probably just "out of this world." so much so that to call  
this a bug would be unfair to the Revolution engineers... after all I  
don't ask Acrobat to make chocolate chip cookies and then find out it  
doesn't work and call tech support at Adobe.  But the trouble with  
Revolution is, it tends to give you this sense of "We can do anything  
we want."

I guess finding a way to map PDF hyperlinks to hot spots with linked  
URL in the QT player is asking a lot.. but I thought to pose this  
question to the forum of the more experienced. I have seen a few here  
some who seem to be deep into the PDF file format...

TIA

Sivakatirswami


_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PDFs in QT Player -- Hot Links Challenge

Dan Shafer
On OS X 10.4.1 with Rev 2.6.1, PDFs are not among the file types one  
can load into a QT Player.

Unless, of course, I'm missing something. At least I don't seem to be  
able simply to point a QT Player at a PDF file; the file name is  
dimmed in the file dialog.

Dan

On Jul 3, 2005, at 2:40 PM, Sivakatirswami wrote:

> Goal: Show PDF's inside a Revolution QT player object with PDF  
> hyperlinks clickable.
>
> Tests so far, can someone confirm? (even better tell us how to do it)
>
> 1) Create PDF spread of two pages of a magazine, source is IDCS2,  
> target format is Acrobat 7.0
>
> 2) open Rev, create player object, point the player to the PDF  
> file.. it appears... And, what is even better... on zoom in (scale  
> up) the text looks really great!
>
> 3) Go back to IDCS2, hyper link a URL on the page. Output to PDF  
> again.. check the PDF.. The hyperlink is working, it's hot, click  
> and it will open the web site in acrobat, or your browser (your  
> choice)
>
> 4) Go back to Rev. Point the player now to the PDF that has the  
> hypertext link.
>
> :-( player object goes blank...
>
> OK ? is it QT or Revolution? Let's find out....
>
> 5) drop the PDF with hypertext link on QT Player... it opens...  
> hyperlink is not there. But QT will at least show the file as a  
> single movie frame.
>
> 6) back to Revolution, Toggle the filename of the player object  
> between
>     a) the same page/PDF  with no links: it appears in Revolution
>      b) the same page with one hyperlink: player goes blank.
>
> Conclusion: Revolution will not import the PDF with an embedded  
> Hypertext link into a QT player object.
>
> Our expectations for inter-application file format interoperability  
> here are probably just "out of this world." so much so that to call  
> this a bug would be unfair to the Revolution engineers... after all  
> I don't ask Acrobat to make chocolate chip cookies and then find  
> out it doesn't work and call tech support at Adobe.  But the  
> trouble with Revolution is, it tends to give you this sense of "We  
> can do anything we want."
>
> I guess finding a way to map PDF hyperlinks to hot spots with  
> linked URL in the QT player is asking a lot.. but I thought to pose  
> this question to the forum of the more experienced. I have seen a  
> few here some who seem to be deep into the PDF file format...
>
> TIA
>
> Sivakatirswami
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your  
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>
>

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PDFs in QT Player -- Hot Links Challenge

Richard Gaskin
Dan Shafer wrote:
> On OS X 10.4.1 with Rev 2.6.1, PDFs are not among the file types one  
> can load into a QT Player.
>
> Unless, of course, I'm missing something. At least I don't seem to be  
> able simply to point a QT Player at a PDF file; the file name is  dimmed
> in the file dialog.

Good news:  That's just a filtering thang; from your own script you can
set a player to a PDF and it'll display nicely.

Bad news:  This capability doesn't exist in the Windows version of QT. :(


--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal
  _______________________________________________________
  Rev tips, tutorials and more: http://www.revJournal.com
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PDFs in QT Player -- Hot Links Challenge

Sivakatirswami
Aiyo! (Lamentations)

  Windows won't play PDFs in QT...

  Richard: did that windows machine have QT 7 for Windows loaded?

I'm sure you know this already but Apple just released QT with H.264  
format capabilities for Windows just a few weeks ago... so I just  
wanted to check if this was happening in the latest QT,

Dan: in the top of the open dialog box when clicking the browse  
button in a Rev QT Player, it defaults to "QuickTime Movie",  just  
choose "All Files"  and then the PDF files will be available as a  
file choice (OSX).

But the "not on Windows"  really a show stopper for this project.  We  
will call our friends at Apple tomorrow and beg!

Sivakatirswami





On Jul 04, 2005, at 11:19 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Dan Shafer wrote:
>
>> On OS X 10.4.1 with Rev 2.6.1, PDFs are not among the file types  
>> one  can load into a QT Player.
>> Unless, of course, I'm missing something. At least I don't seem to  
>> be  able simply to point a QT Player at a PDF file; the file name  
>> is  dimmed in the file dialog.
>>
>
> Good news:  That's just a filtering thang; from your own script you  
> can set a player to a PDF and it'll display nicely.
>
> Bad news:  This capability doesn't exist in the Windows version of  
> QT. :(
>

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PDFs in QT Player -- Hot Links Challenge

Dan Shafer
In reply to this post by Richard Gaskin

On Jul 4, 2005, at 2:19 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Dan Shafer wrote:
>
>> On OS X 10.4.1 with Rev 2.6.1, PDFs are not among the file types  
>> one  can load into a QT Player.
>> Unless, of course, I'm missing something. At least I don't seem to  
>> be  able simply to point a QT Player at a PDF file; the file name  
>> is  dimmed in the file dialog.
>>
>
> Good news:  That's just a filtering thang; from your own script you  
> can set a player to a PDF and it'll display nicely.
>
But not in the property settings for the player object? So I need to  
script the player to respond to an event to open a file at runtime.  
Seems kinda clunky. But I'll give it a go.

> Bad news:  This capability doesn't exist in the Windows version of  
> QT. :(
>
No comment from the guy who is currently wearing a T-shirt that says,  
"Friends Don't Let Friends Use Windows."

:-)

Dan

>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Managing Editor, revJournal
>  _______________________________________________________
>  Rev tips, tutorials and more: http://www.revJournal.com
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your  
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>
>

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PDFs in QT Player -- Hot Links Challenge

Richard Gaskin
Dan Shafer wrote:
>> Good news:  That's just a filtering thang; from your own script you  
>> can set a player to a PDF and it'll display nicely.
>>
> But not in the property settings for the player object? So I need to  
> script the player to respond to an event to open a file at runtime.  
> Seems kinda clunky. But I'll give it a go.

For any real work with players or referenced image you need to write
your own scripts to handle them anyway.  The IDE uses a full path to the
media, which works so long as you never move either the stack or the
media it references.

Relative paths kinda work if you hand-edit them in the Inspector, but
they're currently implemented to be relative to the current directory,
which is volatile.  So as long as one successfully prays that no script
will ever touch the current directory, and that the relative path to
your stack will be the same as to your standalone (that rules out OS X
unless you move you media inside the bundle), relative paths kinda work.
The rest of the time we need clever scripts.

HTML has done a good job of familiarizing a significant portion of
humanity with true relative paths, paths which are relative to the file
referencing them.  The stackfiles property works like that, and there is
a request to consider changing how relative paths work with media to be
consistent with this widely-used paradigm:

<http://support.runrev.com/bugdatabase/show_bug.cgi?id=2490>

In the meantime, we write clever scripts to get past the clunky funky
media paths issue. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal
  _______________________________________________________
  Rev tips, tutorials and more: http://www.revJournal.com
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PDFs in QT Player -- Hot Links Challenge

Richard Gaskin
In reply to this post by Sivakatirswami
Sivakatirswami wrote:
> Aiyo! (Lamentations)
>
>  Windows won't play PDFs in QT...
>
>  Richard: did that windows machine have QT 7 for Windows loaded?
>
> I'm sure you know this already but Apple just released QT with H.264  
> format capabilities for Windows just a few weeks ago... so I just  
> wanted to check if this was happening in the latest QT,

I haven't the foggiest.  What is "H.264" and what happens when you try
it with QT 7 on Win?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation
  ___________________________________________________________
  [hidden email]       http://www.FourthWorld.com
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PDFs in QT Player -- Hot Links Challenge

Klaus major-k
Hi Richard,

> Sivakatirswami wrote:
>
>> Aiyo! (Lamentations)
>>  Windows won't play PDFs in QT...
>>  Richard: did that windows machine have QT 7 for Windows loaded?
>> I'm sure you know this already but Apple just released QT with H.
>> 264  format capabilities for Windows just a few weeks ago... so I  
>> just  wanted to check if this was happening in the latest QT,
>>
>
> I haven't the foggiest.  What is "H.264"

well this is exactly ONE more than "H.263" :-D

Actually this is a video codec.
But Apple only released a TEST version of QT 7 for Windows until today!

> and what happens when you try it with QT 7 on Win?

No idea, but this thread was about displaying PDF in a player, so
i don't think that this will work on windows even with QT 7.

> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Media Corporation
>  ___________________________________________________________
>  [hidden email]       http://www.FourthWorld.com

Regards

Klaus Major
[hidden email]
http://www.major-k.de

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Message to Listmom: a couple of blank lines after list text.

Stephen Barncard
In reply to this post by Richard Gaskin
Just a little annoyance, but I've noticed that since Rev has changed
web providers that their footers are exactly on the next line after
the last line after the message. (note example below) This has led to
confusion (at least for me) as it appears that the footer is part of
the message it contains. Would it be possible to have a blank line
and some kind of separator in the footer - it would make the posts
easier to read and skim.



>I haven't the foggiest.  What is "H.264" and what happens when you
>try it with QT 7 on Win?
>Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
>subscription preferences:
>http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution



<---------here is my last line of msg----sqb----------->
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Message to Listmom: a couple of blank lines after list text.

Stephen Barncard
As if to prove me wrong... the listserv just did what I requested. It
appears to be intermittent with this feature....

>
><---------here is my last line of msg----sqb----------->
>_______________________________________________
>use-revolution mailing list
>[hidden email]
>Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
>subscription preferences:
>http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution


this is a last line of text without dashes.


_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PDFs in QT Player -- Hot Links Challenge

Sivakatirswami
In reply to this post by Richard Gaskin
H.264 is Apple's latest hi-definition format for video. It's really  
quite incredible (go www.apple.com  and then quicktime)

I don't have  a window's machine handy... Andre is checking it out.


On Jul 05, 2005, at 6:24 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Sivakatirswami wrote:
>
>> Aiyo! (Lamentations)
>>  Windows won't play PDFs in QT...
>>  Richard: did that windows machine have QT 7 for Windows loaded?
>> I'm sure you know this already but Apple just released QT with H.
>> 264  format capabilities for Windows just a few weeks ago... so I  
>> just  wanted to check if this was happening in the latest QT,
>>
>
> I haven't the foggiest.  What is "H.264" and what happens when you  
> try it with QT 7 on Win?
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Media Corporation
>  ___________________________________________________________
>  [hidden email]       http://www.FourthWorld.com
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your  
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PDFs in QT Player -- Hot Links Challenge

Roger Eller
In reply to this post by Sivakatirswami
> Aiyo! (Lamentations)
>
> Windows won't play PDFs in QT...
>
> Richard: did that windows machine have QT 7 for Windows loaded?
>
> I'm sure you know this already but Apple just released QT with H.264
> format capabilities for Windows just a few weeks ago... so I just
> wanted to check if this was happening in the latest QT,
>
> Dan: in the top of the open dialog box when clicking the browse
> button in a Rev QT Player, it defaults to "QuickTime Movie",  just
> choose "All Files"  and then the PDF files will be available as a
> file choice (OSX).
>
> But the "not on Windows"  really a show stopper for this project.  We
> will call our friends at Apple tomorrow and beg!
>
> Sivakatirswami

Since you probably don't need to edit the PDF, you can use the shareware
Ghostscript to convert a PDF via command-line to a displayable GIF, JPG,
PNG or other raster format that Revolution will accept.

The syntax is like so:

gswin32c.exe -sDEVICE=png16 -r72 -sOutputFile=MyOutput.png MyInput.pdf

And of course you can do this with Rev's shell capability, then load the
resulting image for display.

Roger Eller <[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PDFs in QT Player -- Hot Links Challenge

Jon-3
I'm confused: if all you want to do is see a PDF, you can use Acrobat...

[hidden email] wrote:

>>Aiyo! (Lamentations)
>>
>>Windows won't play PDFs in QT...
>>
>>Richard: did that windows machine have QT 7 for Windows loaded?
>>
>>I'm sure you know this already but Apple just released QT with H.264
>>format capabilities for Windows just a few weeks ago... so I just
>>wanted to check if this was happening in the latest QT,
>>
>>Dan: in the top of the open dialog box when clicking the browse
>>button in a Rev QT Player, it defaults to "QuickTime Movie",  just
>>choose "All Files"  and then the PDF files will be available as a
>>file choice (OSX).
>>
>>But the "not on Windows"  really a show stopper for this project.  We
>>will call our friends at Apple tomorrow and beg!
>>
>>Sivakatirswami
>>    
>>
>
>Since you probably don't need to edit the PDF, you can use the shareware
>Ghostscript to convert a PDF via command-line to a displayable GIF, JPG,
>PNG or other raster format that Revolution will accept.
>
>The syntax is like so:
>
>gswin32c.exe -sDEVICE=png16 -r72 -sOutputFile=MyOutput.png MyInput.pdf
>
>And of course you can do this with Rev's shell capability, then load the
>resulting image for display.
>
>Roger Eller <[hidden email]
>
>_______________________________________________
>use-revolution mailing list
>[hidden email]
>Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
>http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>
>
>  
>
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PDFs in QT Player -- Hot Links Challenge

Roger Eller
In reply to this post by Sivakatirswami
On 07/06/2005 at 12:11 PM, Jon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm confused: if all you want to do is see a PDF, you can use Acrobat...

Yes, you could if that is your only objective.

But -- not -- if you intend to display it -- inside -- a revolution
application window on the Windows platform. My suggestion was intended to
fill the void of not being able to use QuickTime to display a PDF in rev
as you can easily do on Mac OS X.

Roger Eller <[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Easily display PDF in rev on Mac OS X

william humphrey-2
I import jpg and png images and use them as background images on large cards
then put fields on them with data. This card is then printed. If a PDF was
the background instead of a jpg or png it would print faster and clearer.

Is this possible using your inside quicktime method?


On 7/6/05 1:15 PM, "[hidden email]"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/06/2005 at 12:11 PM, Jon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm confused: if all you want to do is see a PDF, you can use Acrobat...
>
> Yes, you could if that is your only objective.
>
> But -- not -- if you intend to display it -- inside -- a revolution
> application window on the Windows platform. My suggestion was intended to
> fill the void of not being able to use QuickTime to display a PDF in rev
> as you can easily do on Mac OS X.
>
> Roger Eller <[hidden email]
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription
> preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>
>

            |    |    |
           )_)  )_)  )_)
          )___))___))___)\
         )____)____)_____)\\
       _____|____|____|____\\\__
-------\                   /--------- http://www.bluewatermaritime.com
 ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  ^^^^      ^^^^     ^^^    ^^
       ^^^^      ^^^

24 hour cell: (787) 378-6190
fax: (787) 809-8426

Blue Water Maritime
P.O. Box 91
Puerto Real, PR 00740



_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Easily display PDF in rev on Mac OS X

Roger Eller
On 07/06/2005 at 01:32 PM, Bill <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I import jpg and png images and use them as background images on large
cards
> then put fields on them with data. This card is then printed. If a PDF
was
> the background instead of a jpg or png it would print faster and
clearer.
>
> Is this possible using your inside quicktime method?

I cannot take credit for the quicktime method. A revolution QT player
object can display any file format that is supported by QuickTime itself.
Placing text fields over this image may be a problem though since it is
acting as a "video area". As for printing and/or the quality/speed of the
printing, I have never done this. Maybe someone else could answer with
their experience.

Roger Eller <[hidden email]>

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PDFs in QT Player -- Hot Links Challenge

Chipp Walters
In reply to this post by Roger Eller
The new altBrowser for Tiger will open up PDF's within an altBrowser
window. (Works on PC's too).

-Chipp

[hidden email] wrote:

>>I'm confused: if all you want to do is see a PDF, you can use Acrobat...

> Yes, you could if that is your only objective.
>
> But -- not -- if you intend to display it -- inside -- a revolution
> application window on the Windows platform.

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PDFs in QT Player -- Hot Links Challenge

Andre Garzia

On Jul 6, 2005, at 4:09 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> The new altBrowser for Tiger will open up PDF's within an  
> altBrowser window. (Works on PC's too).
>
> -Chipp

Chipp,

that's marvelous!!!! Can you tell me if we can code our way to flip  
pages and if there's a way to zoom? Using QT Player, every 75 secs  
increment will flip a page, and by changing the rect of the player  
you achieve zoom. The only last piece is searching... but that is  
hard. I'd like to know if you guys have any way to interact with the  
pdf being displayed.

Cheers
andre
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PDFs in QT Player -- Hot Links Challenge

william humphrey-2
In reply to this post by Chipp Walters
Con text fields be put on top of this window as if it were a card object and
the whole thing printed?


On 7/6/05 3:09 PM, "Chipp Walters" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The new altBrowser for Tiger will open up PDF's within an altBrowser
> window. (Works on PC's too).
>
> -Chipp
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>>> I'm confused: if all you want to do is see a PDF, you can use Acrobat...
>
>> Yes, you could if that is your only objective.
>>
>> But -- not -- if you intend to display it -- inside -- a revolution
>> application window on the Windows platform.
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription
> preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>
>

            |    |    |
           )_)  )_)  )_)
          )___))___))___)\
         )____)____)_____)\\
       _____|____|____|____\\\__
-------\                   /--------- http://www.bluewatermaritime.com
 ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  ^^^^      ^^^^     ^^^    ^^
       ^^^^      ^^^

24 hour cell: (787) 378-6190
fax: (787) 809-8426

Blue Water Maritime
P.O. Box 91
Puerto Real, PR 00740



_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PDFs in QT Player -- Hot Links Challenge

Sivakatirswami
In reply to this post by Chipp Walters
Chipp,

1) one would assume this requires the user has the acrobat plug-in  
for  their browsers installed, right?
2) if the user has set a different browser as their default (e.g. I  
use FireFox on my mac... not Safari, though Safari is there...) will  
altBrowser still call the rendering engine?


Question? Are the browser plug-ins that allow display of PDFs inside  
the browsers, written by Adobe? i.e. does the code for those plug ins  
comprise a proprietary "object".... what am I driving at? Well, why  
doesn't someone write a plug-in for Revolution to view PDF's  
directory without going through an embedded browser?

(Hinduism Today would pay money for that...though I suspect there may  
be license issues with Adobe...)

Re:

> I'm confused: if all you want to do is see a PDF, you can use  
> Acrobat...

Simple: Acrobat is not an environment for a true "enterprise" desktop  
client application where:

1) the PDF file is, while being the core content, only a single  
element in a larger scenario
2) you want to download files in the background, cache and save to  
hard drive.
3) deal with user registration for.
4) serve other media in separate windows.
5) offer interface of email

i.e. do a host of other kinds of operations that only Rev can do...

Sivakatirswami




On Jul 06, 2005, at 9:09 AM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> The new altBrowser for Tiger will open up PDF's within an  
> altBrowser window. (Works on PC's too).
>
> -Chipp
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>
>>> I'm confused: if all you want to do is see a PDF, you can use  
>>> Acrobat...
>>>
>
>
>> Yes, you could if that is your only objective.
>> But -- not -- if you intend to display it -- inside -- a  
>> revolution application window on the Windows platform.
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your  
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
12