PLEASE HELP PLEASE HEP.........

Ban Nguyen
I have this code in the scrolling list field:

global textOfClickedLine
on mouseUp
   select the clickLine
   put the value of the clickLine into textOfClickedLine
   answer textOfClickedLine
end mouseUp

It prints the value of the clickline correctly

And then created a button on the same card

And have this code for the button:

on mouseUp
    answer value(textOfClickedLine)
end mouseUp

but it prints out the whole text "textOfClickedLine" not the value. How
can I get the value of the "textOfClickedLine" to print out

I don't know what I did wrong Please help me.........

Thank you for you help

Re: PLEASE HELP PLEASE HEP.........

David Burgun
define it as a global, outside of the handlers

global textOfClickedLine

Hope this helps
Dave

>I have this code in the scrolling list field:
>
>global textOfClickedLine
>on mouseUp
>    select the clickLine
>    put the value of the clickLine into textOfClickedLine
>    answer textOfClickedLine
>end mouseUp
>
>It prints the value of the clickline correctly
>
>And then created a button on the same card
>
>And have this code for the button:
>
>on mouseUp
>     answer value(textOfClickedLine)
>end mouseUp
>
>but it prints out the whole text "textOfClickedLine" not the value. How
>can I get the value of the "textOfClickedLine" to print out
>
>I don't know what I did wrong Please help me.........
>
>Thank you for you help

Re: PLEASE HELP PLEASE HEP.........

Chris Sheffield
Looks like you already have your variable textOfClickedLine set up as
a global.  All you need to do is declare that same variable as a
global in your button's script.  Should work how you want it.

Chris

On Jul 11, 2005, at 1:08 PM, Ban Nguyen wrote:

> I have this code in the scrolling list field:
>
> global textOfClickedLine
> on mouseUp
>    select the clickLine
>    put the value of the clickLine into textOfClickedLine
>    answer textOfClickedLine
> end mouseUp
>
> It prints the value of the clickline correctly
>
> And then created a button on the same card
>
> And have this code for the button:
>
> on mouseUp
>     answer value(textOfClickedLine)
> end mouseUp
>
> but it prints out the whole text "textOfClickedLine" not the value.
> How
> can I get the value of the "textOfClickedLine" to print out
>
> I don't know what I did wrong Please help me.........
>
> Thank you for you help

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally
The Fluency Company
http://www.readnaturally.com

RE: PLEASE HELP PLEASE HEP.........

Ban Nguyen

It works thank you so much for your help.

Looks like you already have your variable textOfClickedLine set up as
a global.  All you need to do is declare that same variable as a
global in your button's script.  Should work how you want it.

Chris

On Jul 11, 2005, at 1:08 PM, Ban Nguyen wrote:

> I have this code in the scrolling list field:
>
> global textOfClickedLine
> on mouseUp
>    select the clickLine
>    put the value of the clickLine into textOfClickedLine
>    answer textOfClickedLine
> end mouseUp
>
> It prints the value of the clickline correctly
>
> And then created a button on the same card
>
> And have this code for the button:
>
> on mouseUp
>     answer value(textOfClickedLine)
> end mouseUp
>
> but it prints out the whole text "textOfClickedLine" not the value.
> How
> can I get the value of the "textOfClickedLine" to print out
>
> I don't know what I did wrong Please help me.........
>
> Thank you for you help

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally
The Fluency Company
http://www.readnaturally.com

Re: PLEASE HELP PLEASE HEP.........

Chris Sheffield
And no need to use the value() function in your button's script, btw.

On Jul 11, 2005, at 1:08 PM, Ban Nguyen wrote:

> I have this code in the scrolling list field:
>
> global textOfClickedLine
> on mouseUp
>    select the clickLine
>    put the value of the clickLine into textOfClickedLine
>    answer textOfClickedLine
> end mouseUp
>
> It prints the value of the clickline correctly
>
> And then created a button on the same card
>
> And have this code for the button:
>
> on mouseUp
>     answer value(textOfClickedLine)
> end mouseUp
>
> but it prints out the whole text "textOfClickedLine" not the value.
> How
> can I get the value of the "textOfClickedLine" to print out
>
> I don't know what I did wrong Please help me.........
>
> Thank you for you help

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally
The Fluency Company
http://www.readnaturally.com

Re: PLEASE HELP PLEASE HEP.........

Eric Chatonet
Hi Ban and others who replied,

In a scrolling list field, line selection is automated at mouseDown
by the engine.
So one single line in both scripts is enough (without using global,
value function or anything else :-)

answer the hilitedText of fld "My scrolling list field" -- "of me" in
the field script if you prefer

If you allow me, one word on top of that about ergonomics: however is
the platform, guide lines say that selecting a line in a list just do
that and nothing else :-)

Le 11 juil. 05 à 21:08, Ban Nguyen a écrit :

> I have this code in the scrolling list field:
>
> global textOfClickedLine
> on mouseUp
>    select the clickLine
>    put the value of the clickLine into textOfClickedLine
>    answer textOfClickedLine
> end mouseUp
>
> It prints the value of the clickline correctly
>
> And then created a button on the same card
>
> And have this code for the button:
>
> on mouseUp
>     answer value(textOfClickedLine)
> end mouseUp
>
> but it prints out the whole text "textOfClickedLine" not the value.
> How
> can I get the value of the "textOfClickedLine" to print out

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software