Parent Group of the Target

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
I could have sworn we passed way before, but I can't find it anywhere on the list

what is the most efficient was to get the name of the "Parent Group" of the target?

Do we really have to parse this?

widget id 67388 of group id 67392 of card id 8169 of stack "/Users/brahmanathaswami/Documents/_Siva-Siva-App/Siva-Siva-Portal.livecode"

To get the name of "group id 67392"

?

BR

Re: Parent Group of the Target

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
The wonderful “Owner” is the property you’re after, I think.

Hope that is useful.  If it is, possibly my first time!

Best wishes,

David Glasgow

> On 7 Jan 2020, at 3:18 pm, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I could have sworn we passed way before, but I can't find it anywhere on the list
>
> what is the most efficient was to get the name of the "Parent Group" of the target?
>
> Do we really have to parse this?
>
> widget id 67388 of group id 67392 of card id 8169 of stack "/Users/brahmanathaswami/Documents/_Siva-Siva-App/Siva-Siva-Portal.livecode"
>
> To get the name of "group id 67392"
>
> ?
>
> BR

Re: Parent Group of the Target

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
BR,

Try "the owner of the target".  Or, the long id of the owner of the target.  Hope that helps.

-Dan

On 1/7/20, 7:20 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    I could have sworn we passed way before, but I can't find it anywhere on the list

    what is the most efficient was to get the name of the "Parent Group" of the target?

    Do we really have to parse this?

    widget id 67388 of group id 67392 of card id 8169 of stack "/Users/brahmanathaswami/Documents/_Siva-Siva-App/Siva-Siva-Portal.livecode"

    To get the name of "group id 67392"

    ?

    BR

Re: Parent Group of the Target

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
And for multiple groupings,

.... the owner of the owner of the owner of....

On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 at 15:26, Dan Friedman via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> BR,
>
> Try "the owner of the target".  Or, the long id of the owner of the
> target.  Hope that helps.
>
> -Dan
>

> On 1/7/20, 7:20 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami
> via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     I could have sworn we passed way before, but I can't find it anywhere
> on the list
>
>     what is the most efficient was to get the name of the "Parent Group"
> of the target?
>
>     Do we really have to parse this?
>
>     widget id 67388 of group id 67392 of card id 8169 of stack
> "/Users/brahmanathaswami/Documents/_Siva-Siva-App/Siva-Siva-Portal.livecode"
>
>     To get the name of "group id 67392"
>
>     ?
>
>     BR

Kaveh Bazargan PhD
Director
River Valley Technologies <http://rivervalleytechnologies.com/> • Twitter
<https://twitter.com/kaveh1000> • LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/bazargankaveh/>

Re: Parent Group of the Target

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Folks,
It would be very nice if there was a compilation of the various keywords and what each refers to. I know I’ve had to scratch my head to find words like the element, the target, the owner, the parent, etc. The names seem intuitive at some level, but each meaning is very specific and, for me at least, I wouldn’t think to call the group an object is in “the owner”.

Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Jan 7, 2020, at 9:46 AM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> aha! I was searching for "parent" Yes, "owner" is it.
>
> And for multiple groupings,
>
> .... the owner of the owner of the owner of....

Re: Parent Group of the Target

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
@Bill P.  ditto that "if there was a compilation of the various keywords and what each refers to".

on mouseup
        put the short name of the owner of the target
        # where all you want it the "immediate" owner and not the card, stack
end mouseUp

# that was easy!

And for multiple groupings,
.... the owner of the owner of the owner of....

I suppose we could create function that uses " of " as a delimiter and turn this in an array...

@ Kaveh wrote
multiple groupings... may be good for visualization:"

the target
        the target's owner
               the owner of target's owner