Pasting to Powerpoint

J. Landman Gay
Apparently in LC 8.x, LC text in the clipboard can't be pasted into
Powerpoint, though it works in MS Word and some other apps. I know the
workaround -- paste into a text editor, copy, paste into Powerpoint --
but is there a better way?

My app is just setting the clipboarddata["text"] to a variable
containing plain text. I wonder if I should be setting some of the other
keys in the clipboard array.

It worked okay until the last version we released, compiled with LC
8.0.2 on Mac OS X. Maybe it's been fixed since then? I don't have a copy
of Powerpoint so I can't test.

hh

Re: Pasting to Powerpoint

hh
Sadly this may depend more on user's OS than on the LC version or
your compiling OS.
I had a similar issue with pasting to Mail on Mac OS > 10.10. This
disappeared when I used the rawClipboardData[key] (exactly to such
"plainText"-encodings there is an example for different platforms).

> Jacqueline L.G. wrote:
> Apparently in LC 8.x, LC text in the clipboard can't be
> pasted into Powerpoint, though it works in MS Word and
> some other apps. I know the workaround -- paste into a
> text editor, copy, paste into Powerpoint -- but is there
> a better way?
> My app is just setting the clipboarddata["text"] to a
> variable containing plain text. I wonder if I should be
> setting some of the other keys in the clipboard array.
>  It worked okay until the last version we released,
> compiled with LC 8.0.2 on Mac OS X. Maybe it's been
> fixed since then? I don't have a copy of Powerpoint
> so I can't test.

Re: Pasting to Powerpoint

J. Landman Gay
Excellent! Thank you. I'll try it.

On 10/13/16 5:18 PM, hh wrote:

> Sadly this may depend more on user's OS than on the LC version or
> your compiling OS.
> I had a similar issue with pasting to Mail on Mac OS > 10.10. This
> disappeared when I used the rawClipboardData[key] (exactly to such
> "plainText"-encodings there is an example for different platforms).
>
>> Jacqueline L.G. wrote:
>> Apparently in LC 8.x, LC text in the clipboard can't be
>> pasted into Powerpoint, though it works in MS Word and
>> some other apps. I know the workaround -- paste into a
>> text editor, copy, paste into Powerpoint -- but is there
>> a better way?
>> My app is just setting the clipboarddata["text"] to a
>> variable containing plain text. I wonder if I should be
>> setting some of the other keys in the clipboard array.
>>  It worked okay until the last version we released,
>> compiled with LC 8.0.2 on Mac OS X. Maybe it's been
>> fixed since then? I don't have a copy of Powerpoint
>> so I can't test.

Re: Pasting to Powerpoint

Trevor DeVore
On Thursday, October 13, 2016, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Apparently in LC 8.x, LC text in the clipboard can't be pasted into
> Powerpoint, though it works in MS Word and some other apps. I know the
> workaround -- paste into a text editor, copy, paste into Powerpoint -- but
> is there a better way?
>
> My app is just setting the clipboarddata["text"] to a variable containing
> plain text. I wonder if I should be setting some of the other keys in the
> clipboard array.
>
> It worked okay until the last version we released, compiled with LC 8.0.2
> on Mac OS X. Maybe it's been fixed since then? I don't have a copy of
> Powerpoint so I can't test.

Last week I had a user report issues pasting images into SnagIt but not
other apps (Windows). This issue is new to 8.x and the clipboard changes.
It seems that the way LiveCode is placing content on the clipboard is not
correct in 8.x. I have to in estimate further though.

--
Trevor DeVore

Re: Pasting to Powerpoint

Stephen Barncard-4
I made this dumb stack to view all elements of the clipboard contents...
works inter-app

type

go URL "http://fulton.barncard.com/stax/clipboardTest.rev"

in msg box.

hth,

sqb

ps the hex display displays incorrectly at the moment. Probably the changes
to unicorn.

Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 4:21 PM, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Excellent! Thank you. I'll try it.
>

> On 10/13/16 5:18 PM, hh wrote:
>
>> Sadly this may depend more on user's OS than on the LC version or
>> your compiling OS.
>> I had a similar issue with pasting to Mail on Mac OS > 10.10. This
>> disappeared when I used the rawClipboardData[key] (exactly to such
>> "plainText"-encodings there is an example for different platforms).
>>
>> Jacqueline L.G. wrote:
>>> Apparently in LC 8.x, LC text in the clipboard can't be
>>> pasted into Powerpoint, though it works in MS Word and
>>> some other apps. I know the workaround -- paste into a
>>> text editor, copy, paste into Powerpoint -- but is there
>>> a better way?
>>> My app is just setting the clipboarddata["text"] to a
>>> variable containing plain text. I wonder if I should be
>>> setting some of the other keys in the clipboard array.
>>>  It worked okay until the last version we released,
>>> compiled with LC 8.0.2 on Mac OS X. Maybe it's been
>>> fixed since then? I don't have a copy of Powerpoint
>>> so I can't test.

hh

Re: Pasting to Powerpoint

hh
Very good and interesting stack.
Hopefully you do think about extending that to the rawClipboardData?

On Mac there is a ClipboardViewer (https://developer.apple.com/library/content/samplecode/ClipboardViewer/)
that shows even more entries in the clipboard than the rawClipboardData
reports, after putting a simple plain string into the clipboard in LC.

When pasting a copied text into a "plain" TextEdit window this reduces to
** public.utf8-plain-text **
(and NSStringPboardType). This UTF8-key works here, with MacOS 10.12, for
pasting in every other app. Probably this key, used with rawClipboardData,
has currently most chances to work for MacOS (and it's equivalents for Win
and Linux, given in the Dictionary).

> Stephen B. wrote:
> I made this dumb stack to view all elements of the clipboard contents...
> works inter-app, type
> go URL "http://fulton.barncard.com/stax/clipboardTest.rev"
> in msg box.

Re: Pasting to Powerpoint

Stephen Barncard-4
On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 7:10 PM, hh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hopefully you do think about extending that to the rawClipboardData?

yes a lot of catching up to do. thanks

Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

Re: Pasting to Powerpoint

scott@elementarysoftware.com
Stephen,

Thanks for the stack. It was educational for me and a good start for some additional learning.

- -
Scott Morrow

Elementary Software
(Now with 20% less chalk dust!)
web       http://elementarysoftware.com/
email     [hidden email]
office     1-800-615-0867

> On Oct 13, 2016, at 9:11 PM, stephen barncard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 7:10 PM, hh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hopefully you do think about extending that to the rawClipboardData?
>>

> yes a lot of catching up to do. thanks
>
> Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
> mixstream.org

Re: Pasting to Powerpoint

J. Landman Gay
On 10/13/16 7:03 PM, Trevor DeVore wrote:

> On Thursday, October 13, 2016, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Apparently in LC 8.x, LC text in the clipboard can't be pasted into
>> Powerpoint, though it works in MS Word and some other apps. I know the
>> workaround -- paste into a text editor, copy, paste into Powerpoint -- but
>> is there a better way?
>>
>> My app is just setting the clipboarddata["text"] to a variable containing
>> plain text. I wonder if I should be setting some of the other keys in the
>> clipboard array.
>>
>> It worked okay until the last version we released, compiled with LC 8.0.2
>> on Mac OS X. Maybe it's been fixed since then? I don't have a copy of
>> Powerpoint so I can't test.
>>

> Last week I had a user report issues pasting images into SnagIt but not
> other apps (Windows). This issue is new to 8.x and the clipboard changes.
> It seems that the way LiveCode is placing content on the clipboard is not
> correct in 8.x. I have to in estimate further though.

Could the clipboardData be storing UTF16? Some apps might not work with
that if they expect UTF8. If so, the fix would be to textEncode before
setting the clipboardData, but we have no way of knowing what the user
intends to do with the clipboard. It would break if they try to paste
back into LC.

Just a guess.

Re: Pasting to Powerpoint

Bob Sneidar-2
I clicked the link. It olly shows sample code (I assume that needs to be compiled??) I don't do compile. :-)

Bob S