Player will not play long file names!

Sivakatirswami
Serious bug discovered:

I'm pretty sure this just appeared in Mac OSX-Tiger / Rev 2.6

I'm unable to set a player to an MPEG with a file name that is longer
than 32 characters long! Ouch.. I have set up an entire spec for
processing sound files and these files all have long file names... :-(

Can someone confirm this:

Make a stack, create a player, give a foo.mp3 file a name with
40Characters.mp3

Now, try to set the player to that file with the long file name... it
doesn't work.

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery
[hidden email]

www.HimalayanAcademy.com,
www.HinduismToday.com
www.Gurudeva.org
www.Hindu.org

Re: Player will not play long file names!

Chris Sheffield
Confirmed.  In fact, when I set the filename, the controller
disappears.  This is not good. :-(

Chris

On Jun 17, 2005, at 2:19 PM, Sivakatirswami wrote:

> Serious bug discovered:
>
> I'm pretty sure this just appeared in Mac OSX-Tiger / Rev 2.6
>
> I'm unable to set a player to an MPEG with a file name that is
> longer than 32 characters long! Ouch.. I have set up an entire spec
> for processing sound files and these files all have long file
> names... :-(
>
> Can someone confirm this:
>
> Make a stack, create a player, give a foo.mp3 file a name with
> 40Characters.mp3
>
> Now, try to set the player to that file with the long file name...
> it doesn't work.
>
> Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
> Himalayan Academy Publications
> at Kauai's Hindu Monastery
> [hidden email]
>
> www.HimalayanAcademy.com,
> www.HinduismToday.com
> www.Gurudeva.org
> www.Hindu.org

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally
The Fluency Company
http://www.readnaturally.com

Re: Player will not play long file names!

Eric Chatonet
Hello Sivakatirswami,

A long time ago, when file names could not be more than 7 characters
on Windows 3.x, Mac users were very proud with 31 characters allowed.
Since Windows turtle has made some progress, Mac OS hare no (private
french joke :-).
It's not a Rev issue or a player either: Apple developers notes
always say to avoid names longer than 31 characters :-(
Besides some apps truncate automatically too long names (have a look
at MicroSoft software :-)

Le 17 juin 05 à 22:19, Sivakatirswami a écrit :

> Serious bug discovered:
>
> I'm pretty sure this just appeared in Mac OSX-Tiger / Rev 2.6
>
> I'm unable to set a player to an MPEG with a file name that is
> longer than 32 characters long! Ouch.. I have set up an entire spec
> for processing sound files and these files all have long file
> names... :-(
>
> Can someone confirm this:
>
> Make a stack, create a player, give a foo.mp3 file a name with
> 40Characters.mp3
>
> Now, try to set the player to that file with the long file name...
> it doesn't work.
>
> Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
> Himalayan Academy Publications
> at Kauai's Hindu Monastery
> [hidden email]

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Re: Player will not play long file names!

ScottR
Recently, Sivakatirswami wrote:

> I'm pretty sure this just appeared in Mac OSX-Tiger / Rev 2.6

Nope -- this was present before 2.6.  This bug also may at some times
involve special (non-Roman) characters.  Good (well, bad really) to see
someone else run across this.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Development & Design
-----
E: [hidden email]
W: http://www.tactilemedia.com

Re: Player will not play long file names!

Mark Waddingham
Hi all,

As a work-around for this at the moment, try setting the filename of
a player to a *real* file URL:
   e.g. file:///Volumes/Primary/Users/mark/Desktop/
mask_with_a_really_really_really_long_filename.tiff

This uses a QT function direct, by-passing the engine's present
limitation of 32 characters on OS X.

Warmest Regards,

Mark Waddingham
Chief Technical Officer.

On 17 Jun 2005, at 21:44, Scott Rossi wrote:

> Recently, Sivakatirswami wrote:
>

>> I'm pretty sure this just appeared in Mac OSX-Tiger / Rev 2.6
>>

> Nope -- this was present before 2.6.  This bug also may at some times
> involve special (non-Roman) characters.  Good (well, bad really) to
> see
> someone else run across this.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, Development & Design
> -----
> E: [hidden email]
> W: http://www.tactilemedia.com

Re: Player will not play long file names!

Klaus major-k
Hi Mark,

> Hi all,
>
> As a work-around for this at the moment, try setting the filename
> of a player to a *real* file URL:
>   e.g. file:///Volumes/Primary/Users/mark/Desktop/
> mask_with_a_really_really_really_long_filename.tiff
>
> This uses a QT function direct, by-passing the engine's present
> limitation of 32 characters on OS X.

this is WONDERFUL! How did you know? ;-)

Thank you for this great workaround, very appreciated.

> Warmest Regards,
>
> Mark Waddingham
> Chief Technical Officer.

Regards

Klaus Major
[hidden email]
http://www.major-k.de

Re: Player will not play long file names!

Trevor DeVore
On Jul 2, 2005, at 7:17 AM, Mark Waddingham wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As a work-around for this at the moment, try setting the filename
> of a player to a *real* file URL:
>   e.g. file:///Volumes/Primary/Users/mark/Desktop/
> mask_with_a_really_really_really_long_filename.tiff
>
> This uses a QT function direct, by-passing the engine's present
> limitation of 32 characters on OS X.

Mark,

Does this just pass the file path to QT as a URL, bypassing the FSSpec?

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia

Recently, Mark Waddingham  wrote:

> As a work-around for this at the moment, try setting the filename of
> a player to a *real* file URL:
>  e.g. file:///Volumes/Primary/Users/mark/Desktop/
> mask_with_a_really_really_really_long_filename.tiff

Thanks Mark:

I'm still not clear on how to get this to work.  I've got a bunch of audio
files with long names and spaces in the their names.  I've tried setting the
fileNames to straight filenames, URLencoded filenames, etc, using URL forms
"file:" and "binfile:" and nothing seems to work.

Am I missing something?

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design
-----
E: [hidden email]
W: http://www.tactilemedia.com

Re: Player will not play long file names!

Klaus major-k
Hi Scott,

> Recently, Mark Waddingham  wrote:
>

>> As a work-around for this at the moment, try setting the filename of
>> a player to a *real* file URL:
>>  e.g. file:///Volumes/Primary/Users/mark/Desktop/
>> mask_with_a_really_really_really_long_filename.tiff
>>

> Thanks Mark:
>
> I'm still not clear on how to get this to work.  I've got a bunch
> of audio
> files with long names and spaces in the their names.  I've tried
> setting the
> fileNames to straight filenames, URLencoded filenames, etc, using
> URL forms
> "file:" and "binfile:" and nothing seems to work.
>
> Am I missing something?

quick guess:

Do your pathnames start with "file:///Volumes..."
"VOLUMES" is not included in filenames on the boot hd.

> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design
> -----
> E: [hidden email]
> W: http://www.tactilemedia.com

Regards

Klaus Major
[hidden email]
http://www.major-k.de

Re: Player will not play long file names!

Mark Waddingham
Hi Trevor,

This just creates a QT Movie using the NewMovieFromDataRef call (with
dataRefType URLDataHandlerSubType).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

On 2 Jul 2005, at 16:17, Trevor DeVore wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2005, at 7:17 AM, Mark Waddingham wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> As a work-around for this at the moment, try setting the filename
>> of a player to a *real* file URL:
>>   e.g. file:///Volumes/Primary/Users/mark/Desktop/
>> mask_with_a_really_really_really_long_filename.tiff
>>
>> This uses a QT function direct, by-passing the engine's present
>> limitation of 32 characters on OS X.
>>

> Mark,
>
> Does this just pass the file path to QT as a URL, bypassing the
> FSSpec?
>

> --
> Trevor DeVore
> Blue Mango Multimedia

Re: Player will not play long file names!

Mark Waddingham
Hi Scott,

If you do
   replace space with "%20" in tURL
then you should get the desired result. (i.e. don't urlEncode)

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

On 2 Jul 2005, at 17:18, Scott Rossi wrote:

> Recently, Mark Waddingham  wrote:
>

>> As a work-around for this at the moment, try setting the filename of
>> a player to a *real* file URL:
>>  e.g. file:///Volumes/Primary/Users/mark/Desktop/
>> mask_with_a_really_really_really_long_filename.tiff
>>

> Thanks Mark:
>
> I'm still not clear on how to get this to work.  I've got a bunch
> of audio
> files with long names and spaces in the their names.  I've tried
> setting the
> fileNames to straight filenames, URLencoded filenames, etc, using
> URL forms
> "file:" and "binfile:" and nothing seems to work.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design
> -----
> E: [hidden email]
> W: http://www.tactilemedia.com

Re: Player will not play long file names!

ScottR
>> I'm still not clear on how to get this to work.  I've got a bunch
>> of audio files with long names and spaces in the their names.  I've tried
>> setting the
>> fileNames to straight filenames, URLencoded filenames, etc, using
>> URL forms
>> "file:" and "binfile:" and nothing seems to work.
>>
>> Am I missing something?

> If you do
>  replace space with "%20" in tURL
> then you should get the desired result. (i.e. don't urlEncode)

Success!  A "semi-urlEncode" workaround...

Thank you Mark.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design
-----
E: [hidden email]
W: http://www.tactilemedia.com

Re: Player will not play long file names!

Stephen Barncard
generally it's always best to avoid spaces in filenames....especially
on the net.

sqb

Recently, Stephen Barncard  wrote:

> generally it's always best to avoid spaces in filenames....especially
> on the net.

Of course, but the issue here is to address the playback of *any* file with
long filenames, regardless of their origin, and regardless of whether they
have spaces (or other non-alpha characters) in their names.

In the case of iTunes (not sure about other MP3 apps), songs from CDs as
well as those purchased via download are often named with spaces.  If you
want to deliver a player that can play these files, you can't expect a user
to go through all their files and manually rename them, nor should you as a
developer do this behind the user's back.  Thus Mark's workaround solves a
major problem.  Thanks Mark!

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design
-----
E: [hidden email]
W: http://www.tactilemedia.com

Re: Player will not play long file names!

Keith Martin-2
Scott, thanks for the info. I looked up the exchange you mentioned:

>>>As a work-around for this at the moment, try setting the filename of
>>>a player to a *real* file URL:
>>>  e.g. file:///Volumes/Primary/Users/mark/Desktop/
>>>mask_with_a_really_really_really_long_filename.tiff

>>I've got a bunch of audio
>>files with long names and spaces in the their names.  I've tried setting the
>>fileNames to straight filenames, URLencoded filenames, etc, using URL forms
>>"file:" and "binfile:" and nothing seems to work.

>If you do
>   replace space with "%20" in tURL
>then you should get the desired result. (i.e. don't urlEncode)

So is this space-replacement trick a requirement in Rev 2.6 when
dealing with long filenames? Mark, any news on when this might go in
the future, if this is just for the moment?

Recently, keith  wrote:

>>> As a work-around for this at the moment, try setting the filename of
>>> a player to a *real* file URL:
>>> e.g. file:///Volumes/Primary/Users/mark/Desktop/
>>> mask_with_a_really_really_really_long_filename.tiff

>> If you do
>> replace space with "%20" in tURL
>> then you should get the desired result. (i.e. don't urlEncode)

> So is this space-replacement trick a requirement in Rev 2.6 when
> dealing with long filenames?

It is a requirement for this method of using a file URL reference for the
player's filename.  Given that the alternative is to physically rename a
media file, this would seem to be a minor hassle.