Playing Sound question

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Bill,

Just for curiosity. I tested your stack
on Ubuntu Linux.

In Ubuntu, the first button does not work at all,
(Play MP3 AudioClip) but second button
(Play Audioclip 1) loads mplayer into memory,
and after clicking "Stop Playing" button
the sound starts.

As far as I know, there is no way to stop or
resume mplayer from within LiveCode, except
waiting until sound (or movie) is finished.

Alejandro

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqnlgzph5x5h23l/PlaySound Tests.zip?dl=0

> It’s very simple, but for those who are not familiar with playing sounds
> in version 8, it may save you some time.

Re: Playing Sound question

Wprothero
That’s very interesting. I wonder if it warrants a bug report? It works as promised on iOS and Mac 10.11.6. It’s a really simple demo, so perhaps it would help if I or you filed a bug report and the stack was a sample. The dictionary says the player works on Linux. The top buttons are just playing an audio clip without using the player.

One thing to try is whether the file type matters. I included both mp3 and mp4 files.

Best,
Bill

> On Sep 18, 2016, at 6:01 PM, Alejandro Tejada <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> Just for curiosity. I tested your stack
> on Ubuntu Linux.
>
> In Ubuntu, the first button does not work at all,
> (Play MP3 AudioClip) but second button
> (Play Audioclip 1) loads mplayer into memory,
> and after clicking "Stop Playing" button
> the sound starts.
>
> As far as I know, there is no way to stop or
> resume mplayer from within LiveCode, except
> waiting until sound (or movie) is finished.
>
> Alejandro
>
> William Prothero wrote:
>
>> Folks:
>> I have a small sample stack that plays audio on desktop and iOS.
>> I haven’t debugged in on Android or Windows, but if anybody would
>> like to see it, here is the link.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqnlgzph5x5h23l/PlaySound Tests.zip?dl=0
>
>> It’s very simple, but for those who are not familiar with playing sounds
>> in version 8, it may save you some time.

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: Playing Sound question

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Bill,

After playing a bit more with this Sound Player
Livecode Stack, the IDE crashed.

LC 7.1.4 crashed after setting the playrate
to 2 and changing the volume to 50.

In fact, these features works and you could change
the playrate and the volume of mplayer from
the Properties Palette but after a while LC 7.1.4
simply crashed.

But LC 8.0.2 crashed inmediatly after clicking
the button "Play Audioclip 1". I had no
chance to test if Play Movie feature work in
LC 8.0.2

Before submitting a bug report, I will like
that MORE Linux users test your stack in their
own setup. Maybe the problem is only my own
setup and this computer.

Alejandro

On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 9:01 PM, Alejandro Tejada
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> Just for curiosity. I tested your stack
> on Ubuntu Linux.
>
> In Ubuntu, the first button does not work at all,
> (Play MP3 AudioClip) but second button
> (Play Audioclip 1) loads mplayer into memory,
> and after clicking "Stop Playing" button
> the sound starts.
>
> As far as I know, there is no way to stop or
> resume mplayer from within LiveCode, except
> waiting until sound (or movie) is finished.
>
> Alejandro
>
> William Prothero wrote:
>
>> Folks:
>> I have a small sample stack that plays audio on desktop and iOS.
>> I haven’t debugged in on Android or Windows, but if anybody would
>> like to see it, here is the link.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqnlgzph5x5h23l/PlaySound Tests.zip?dl=0
>
>> It’s very simple, but for those who are not familiar with playing sounds
>> in version 8, it may save you some time.

Re: Playing Sound question

Wprothero
Alejandro,
I built it on livecode 8.1.0, the release version. It should be tested on that version before giving up.
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Sep 18, 2016, at 9:29 PM, Alejandro Tejada <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> After playing a bit more with this Sound Player
> Livecode Stack, the IDE crashed.
>
> LC 7.1.4 crashed after setting the playrate
> to 2 and changing the volume to 50.
>
> In fact, these features works and you could change
> the playrate and the volume of mplayer from
> the Properties Palette but after a while LC 7.1.4
> simply crashed.
>
> But LC 8.0.2 crashed inmediatly after clicking
> the button "Play Audioclip 1". I had no
> chance to test if Play Movie feature work in
> LC 8.0.2
>
> Before submitting a bug report, I will like
> that MORE Linux users test your stack in their
> own setup. Maybe the problem is only my own
> setup and this computer.
>
> Alejandro
>
> On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 9:01 PM, Alejandro Tejada
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> Just for curiosity. I tested your stack
>> on Ubuntu Linux.
>>
>> In Ubuntu, the first button does not work at all,
>> (Play MP3 AudioClip) but second button
>> (Play Audioclip 1) loads mplayer into memory,
>> and after clicking "Stop Playing" button
>> the sound starts.
>>
>> As far as I know, there is no way to stop or
>> resume mplayer from within LiveCode, except
>> waiting until sound (or movie) is finished.
>>
>> Alejandro
>>
>> William Prothero wrote:
>>
>>> Folks:
>>> I have a small sample stack that plays audio on desktop and iOS.
>>> I haven’t debugged in on Android or Windows, but if anybody would
>>> like to see it, here is the link.
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqnlgzph5x5h23l/PlaySound Tests.zip?dl=0
>>
>>> It’s very simple, but for those who are not familiar with playing sounds
>>> in version 8, it may save you some time.

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: Playing Sound question

panagiotis merakos
Hi all,
Unfortunately, the LC player on Linux has been broken for a long time.
Best,
Panos