Playing video within stacks on Linux

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Playing video within stacks on Linux

Alejandro Tejada
Hi All,

How do you play videoclips inside a stack on Linux?

I been trying, without success, to play a short clip
inside a stack.

By the way, Why the preferred Video Player is not saved
between sessions?

Every time that I open LiveCode, have to write this
in the message box:

set vcplayer to "/usr/bin/gnome-media-player"

XAnim does not exists in the repositories
for Ubuntu, just here: http://xanim.polter.net/

This VideoClipPlayer must be a preference set in the IDE
but could not find it in the Preferences pane...

Thanks in advance!

Al
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Playing video within stacks on Linux

Warren Samples
On 12/13/2013 06:13 PM, Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> How do you play videoclips inside a stack on Linux?
>
> I been trying, without success, to play a short clip
> inside a stack.
>
> By the way, Why the preferred Video Player is not saved
> between sessions?
>
> Every time that I open LiveCode, have to write this
> in the message box:
>
> set vcplayer to "/usr/bin/gnome-media-player"
>
> XAnim does not exists in the repositories
> for Ubuntu, just here: http://xanim.polter.net/
>
> This VideoClipPlayer must be a preference set in the IDE
> but could not find it in the Preferences pane...
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Al

Video playback is a mess under Linux. We are eagerly awaiting the new
multimedia object!

I don't have helpful advice, but my experience in openSUSE is that
LiveCode attempts to play videoclips using mplayer by default. Audio
plays but video does not display. This is true regardless of whether or
not desktop effects are enabled. It seems unlikely that this would be
codec dependent since mplayer is clearly playing the file and is capable
of rendering the video along with the audio. On my system disabling
desktop effects prior to launching LiveCode allows video to display in
the player (not as a videoclip, though) but now, in LC 6.5.0, hue is
completely off. As I said, eagerly awaiting the new player...

Good luck!

Warren


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Playing video within stacks on Linux

Alejandro Tejada
Warren Samples wrote
Video playback is a mess under Linux.
We are eagerly awaiting the new
multimedia object!
[snip]
Hi Warren,

What is your experience using shell commands
to control a video player?

This works from the message box:

shell("mplayer -ontop -noborder -geometry 50%:50%  myvideo.mp4")

but I have not found a way to pause, stop, move forward or backward,
change volume, etc, after the movie have started playing.
It´s necessary to wait until the movie plays completely to issue
another shell command... :(

Notice that you could use vlc in the same way, and vlc already
shows all controls inside the video windows, but LiveCode does not
respond to any command until VLC is closed (not simply stopped).

Does exists some way to control with precision these video players
(using shell or other method) within LiveCode?

Al
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Playing video within stacks on Linux

Roger Eller
http://livecode.com/community/roadmap/

*Queued: **(behind 7 other priorities)*
Multimedia
A new cross platform player object.

~Roger


On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM, Alejandro Tejada <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Warren Samples wrote
> > Video playback is a mess under Linux.
> > We are eagerly awaiting the new
> > multimedia object!
> > [snip]
>
> Hi Warren,
>
> What is your experience using shell commands
> to control a video player?
>
> This works from the message box:
>
> shell("mplayer -ontop -noborder -geometry 50%:50%  myvideo.mp4")
>
> but I have not found a way to pause, stop, move forward or backward,
> change volume, etc, after the movie have started playing.
> It´s necessary to wait until the movie plays completely to issue
> another shell command... :(
>
> Notice that you could use vlc in the same way, and vlc already
> shows all controls inside the video windows, but LiveCode does not
> respond to any command until VLC is closed (not simply stopped).
>
> Does exists some way to control with precision these video players
> (using shell or other method) within LiveCode?
>
> Al
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Playing-video-within-stacks-on-Linux-tp4673716p4673720.html
> Sent from the Revolution - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Playing video within stacks on Linux

Warren Samples
In reply to this post by Alejandro Tejada
On 12/13/2013 07:54 PM, Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> Warren Samples wrote
>> Video playback is a mess under Linux.
>> We are eagerly awaiting the new
>> multimedia object!
>> [snip]
>
> Hi Warren,
>
> What is your experience using shell commands
> to control a video player?
>
> This works from the message box:
>
> shell("mplayer -ontop -noborder -geometry 50%:50%  myvideo.mp4")
>
> but I have not found a way to pause, stop, move forward or backward,
> change volume, etc, after the movie have started playing.
> It´s necessary to wait until the movie plays completely to issue
> another shell command... :(
>
> Notice that you could use vlc in the same way, and vlc already
> shows all controls inside the video windows, but LiveCode does not
> respond to any command until VLC is closed (not simply stopped).
>
> Does exists some way to control with precision these video players
> (using shell or other method) within LiveCode?
>
> Al
>
>


You can run mplayer in slave mode and control it with LiveCode writing
to the FIFO.

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/tech/slave.txt

Because shell() is blocking, you probably want to use an independent
process to open mplayer using -slave. I once spent some time exploring
this. You have to take precautions to make sure you don't leave a bunch
of mplayer instances open when you're done. I couldn't get embed to work
to attach mplayer to a LiveCode window, but this didn't appear to be a
LiveCode issue per se since it was very fickle about attaching to other
application windows as well.

If you don't mind having mplayer open in an independent window, this may
be a good option.

Warren


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Playing video within stacks on Linux

Alejandro Tejada
In reply to this post by Roger Eller
Here is the manual, just in case that
many of you want to check by yourself
all the capabilities of mplayer :D

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1.html

Interesting enough, the keyboard works inside the
floating mplayer video window. So, if needed, a user
could be instructed to use these keys to control the
video.

Looks like it is possible to control mplayer (and vlc)
using sockets:
http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2007-April/066505.html
http://n0tablog.wordpress.com/2009/02/09/controlling-vlc-via-rc-remote-control-interface-using-a-unix-domain-socket-and-no-programming/

How many of you have used sockets to control other applications
inside LiveCode?

Al

shell("mplayer -ontop -noborder -geometry 50%:50% -quiet -ss 12 -xy 0.5 TFF.mp4")