Popup problem under Windows

Francis Nugent Dixon
Hi from Paris,

I have a strange phenomenon, and I've tried
everything to overcome it (three days !)

I use a popup menu to display a list of files
(to be played with a player). On my Mac, I click
on a button which contains a mouseUp handler
which contains a popup menu to show the list.
The list is displayed, I choose a name,  and the file
is played on the player. ....... "No Worries !"

On my PC (Windows XP), my popup menu is
not displayed (I seem to pass through with no
selection). No name is passed to my player which
then obviously fails. However, the popup menu has
been initialized with the list.

If I click on the popup menu button itself, I display
the correct menu contents. I can click on a file name,
and the menu disappears. From then on, when I
execute the mouseUp handler from my button, the
popup menu is displayed, and with no intervention
at all (at all) the file I selected in the menu is played!

All the popup menu parameters are correct (style is
"menu", menumode is "popup", mouseMenuButton is 0)

Strangely enough , I have other popup menus in the stack
which work perfectly on my PC, and when I compare
the menu initialization and the popup execution sequences,
they are identical, except of course, for the menu
contents.

Has anybody come up with any popup problems on a
PC such as these ?

Scripts available (off forum), for anyone who has nothing
to do this weekend ...........

-Francis

"Nothing should ever be done for the first time !"

Re: Popup problem under Windows

xtalkprogrammer
Hello Francis,

Why don't you use a mouseDown handler instead of a mouseUp handler?
Is the actual popup menu visible? What happens if you try to recreate
it by duplicating one of the correctly working buttons and adjusting
that?

I have lots to do this weekend, but you can send me your stack if you
like. Also, the guys (and sometimes gals) at ChatRev are really good
at solving this kind of problems. Why don't you pop up in the chat
for a change? Clients are available in RevOnline, at http://economy-x-
talk.com/chatrev.html and http://chatrev.bjoernke.com.

Best,

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk
Consultancy and Software Engineering

www.salery.biz/salery.html

Op 5-mei-2006, om 21:49 heeft Francis Nugent Dixon het volgende
geschreven:

> Hi from Paris,
>
> I have a strange phenomenon, and I've tried
> everything to overcome it (three days !)
>
> I use a popup menu to display a list of files
> (to be played with a player). On my Mac, I click
> on a button which contains a mouseUp handler
> which contains a popup menu to show the list.
> The list is displayed, I choose a name,  and the file
> is played on the player. ....... "No Worries !"
>
> On my PC (Windows XP), my popup menu is
> not displayed (I seem to pass through with no
> selection). No name is passed to my player which
> then obviously fails. However, the popup menu has
> been initialized with the list.
>
> If I click on the popup menu button itself, I display
> the correct menu contents. I can click on a file name,
> and the menu disappears. From then on, when I
> execute the mouseUp handler from my button, the
> popup menu is displayed, and with no intervention
> at all (at all) the file I selected in the menu is played!
>
> All the popup menu parameters are correct (style is
> "menu", menumode is "popup", mouseMenuButton is 0)
>
> Strangely enough , I have other popup menus in the stack
> which work perfectly on my PC, and when I compare
> the menu initialization and the popup execution sequences,
> they are identical, except of course, for the menu
> contents.
>
> Has anybody come up with any popup problems on a
> PC such as these ?
>
> Scripts available (off forum), for anyone who has nothing
> to do this weekend ...........
>
> -Francis
>
> "Nothing should ever be done for the first time !"

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Popup problem under Windows

Francis Nugent Dixon
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

I have never used a mouseDown. I don't know if
it's any different from a mouseUp (simply because
when you click on the mouse, you have to release !).

I have copied popUp buttons which work and then
adjusted them (that was my first attempt !), and it
didn't work.  At first, I was sure that it was the
mousemenuButton which was the culprit, because
it clearly states that the value must be "0", otherwise
there are "unpredictable results", but I have tried
all values of MMB from 0 to 3, and nothing works.
It is strange also that the doc states that MMB must
be "0", but it is always generated (on the Mac) as "1",
and it works ..... on other popups !

When I execute my button script, the menu does
NOT popup, even if I repeat the mouseUp. However,
if I click on the menu ITSELF, it displays, I make a
selection, and then FROM THEN ON, when I execute
my button script, I get the menu displayed, but I don't
even have to click on a selection, the rest of the handler
runs to completion, and my player always plays the same
song (the one I selected when I clicked on the menu !)
I find this strange, to say the least.

In order to let you see the stack, I will have to strip
it down a little.  It uses external folders of data.
I can remove 95 % of the external files to reduce the
size. I'd be interested to see if it did the same thing
on someone else's Windows machine.

Best Regards

-Francis

> Why don't you use a mouseDown handler instead of a mouseUp handler?
> Is the actual popup menu visible? What happens if you try to recreate
> it by duplicating one of the correctly working buttons and adjusting
> that?
>
> I have lots to do this weekend, but you can send me your stack if you
> like. Also, the guys (and sometimes gals) at ChatRev are really good
> at solving this kind of problems. Why don't you pop up in the chat
> for a change? Clients are available in RevOnline, at http://economy-x-
> talk.com/chatrev.html and http://chatrev.bjoernke.com.

Re: Popup problem under Windows

xtalkprogrammer
Hi Francis,

Op 6-mei-2006, om 23:20 heeft Francis Nugent Dixon het volgende
geschreven:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I have never used a mouseDown. I don't know if
> it's any different from a mouseUp (simply because
> when you click on the mouse, you have to release !).

I believe it is more intuitive to make a popup menu appear on
mouseDown. I don't expect to see it on mouseUp.

> I have copied popUp buttons which work and then
> adjusted them (that was my first attempt !), and it
> didn't work.  At first, I was sure that it was the

If you do the adjustments step by step, you might find out at which
point the buttons stops working.

<snip>

> In order to let you see the stack, I will have to strip
> it down a little.  It uses external folders of data.
> I can remove 95 % of the external files to reduce the
> size. I'd be interested to see if it did the same thing
> on someone else's Windows machine.

Can't you just take the stackfile and send it?

Best,

Mark