Print to PDF output dodgy on Windows

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Before I bug report this, has anyone else had problems printing styled text to PDF on Windows? I’ve been printing multipage reports (lots of formatting, graphics etc) to PDF using LC on a Mac for ages without any problems (well, not this particular problem at least). However, when I try to do the same on Windows it screws up the text formatting if any of the text within a field to be printed includes bolded or italicised words, introducing adjacent non-existent spaces or (equally bad) rending the styled text so that it overlaps the non-styled text on either side of it. I’ve tried changing the font at the stack and field level, thinking that might help but to no avail. If an entire line or field has a style associated with it then there is no problem. It’s only when styles are mixed within a field.

Terry...

Re: Print to PDF output dodgy on Windows

On 2017-09-04 06:43, Terry Judd via use-livecode wrote:

> Before I bug report this, has anyone else had problems printing styled
> text to PDF on Windows? I’ve been printing multipage reports (lots of
> formatting, graphics etc) to PDF using LC on a Mac for ages without
> any problems (well, not this particular problem at least). However,
> when I try to do the same on Windows it screws up the text formatting
> if any of the text within a field to be printed includes bolded or
> italicised words, introducing adjacent non-existent spaces or (equally
> bad) rending the styled text so that it overlaps the non-styled text
> on either side of it. I’ve tried changing the font at the stack and
> field level, thinking that might help but to no avail. If an entire
> line or field has a style associated with it then there is no problem.
> It’s only when styles are mixed within a field.

Do you have 'the formatForPrinting' of the stack set to true?

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: Print to PDF output dodgy on Windows

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Thanks Mark - I wasn't aware of that setting. I'll try setting it to true before I print each report and see what happens. Based on the dictionary entry it sounds like I'll need to set it back to false again before my script updates all the report's various templates, and perhaps even close and reopen the stack before turning it back on and printing the next report?

Terry...

Sent from my iPhone

On 2017-09-04 09:20, Terry Judd via use-livecode wrote:
> Thanks Mark - I wasn't aware of that setting. I'll try setting it to
> true before I print each report and see what happens. Based on the
> dictionary entry it sounds like I'll need to set it back to false
> again before my script updates all the report's various templates, and
> perhaps even close and reopen the stack before turning it back on and
> printing the next report?

The dictionary entry might need an update. Since we added 'fullscreen
mode', I think the engine is a lot better at 'resetting things' when you
toggle formatForPrinting on and off.

The 'formatForPrinting' changes the way fonts are handled on Windows to
ensure that screen-specific hints and metric changes don't occur -
'fullscreen mode' uses it implicitly internally on Windows too
(otherwise fonts don't necessarily linearly scale with size, something
which is quite important for printing!) so you should find you can just
toggle it on and off.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: Print to PDF output dodgy on Windows

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Thanks again Mark – it’s all printing nicely now without having to close and open the target stack.

Regards,

Terry...