Problem with Unicode

RH-4
Russian-English Learning Stack

This applies to the Windows version. I have not tested any other version.

I want to build a language learning software that uses various methods and a
lot of multimedia to teach Russian language. Unicode support is needed. I
found that entering Cyrillic language into field 1 is possible. But to set
another field with exactly the same properties will distort characters after
the first space.

Field "Russian 1": "Как дела" (how are you?)

Field "Russian 2": "Как????"

on mouseUp

  set the useUnicode to true

  set the unicodeText of field "Russian2" to field "Russian1" - only first
word is moved correctly

end mouseUp

Setting a field to ASCII using a Cyrillic font does not work either because
a field crashes on such settings. For example field "Russian" is set to font
"Arial CYR" and trying to enter Cyrillic will lead to very strange behaviour
of text entry, cursor bouncing, etc.

I consider this heavy bugs and it would disallow building my project.

May be some workarounds are available?

Roland

---------------------------------

Roland Huettmann

KRYMSOFT / Babanin GmbH

Naehseydi 6

Postbox

CH-6374 Buochs

Switzerland

Phone +41 41 6200620

Fax +41 41 6209620

Mobile +41 79 4157083

Re: Problem with Unicode

masmit
A stab in the dark, but have you tried:

set the unicodeText of fld 2 to the unicodeText of fld 1?

best,

Mark

On 6 May 2006, at 22:29, RH wrote:

> Russian-English Learning Stack
>

> This applies to the Windows version. I have not tested any other
> version.
>

> I want to build a language learning software that uses various
> methods and a
> lot of multimedia to teach Russian language. Unicode support is
> needed. I
> found that entering Cyrillic language into field 1 is possible. But
> to set
> another field with exactly the same properties will distort
> characters after
> the first space.
>

> Field "Russian 1": "Как дела" (how are you?)
>
> Field "Russian 2": "Как????"
>

> on mouseUp
>
>   set the useUnicode to true
>
>   set the unicodeText of field "Russian2" to field "Russian1" -
> only first
> word is moved correctly
>
> end mouseUp
>

> Setting a field to ASCII using a Cyrillic font does not work either
> because
> a field crashes on such settings. For example field "Russian" is
> set to font
> "Arial CYR" and trying to enter Cyrillic will lead to very strange
> behaviour
> of text entry, cursor bouncing, etc.
>

> I consider this heavy bugs and it would disallow building my project.
>

> May be some workarounds are available?
>

> Roland
>

> ---------------------------------
>
> Roland Huettmann
>
> KRYMSOFT / Babanin GmbH
>
> Naehseydi 6
>
> Postbox
>
> CH-6374 Buochs
>
> Switzerland
>

> Phone +41 41 6200620
>
> Fax +41 41 6209620
>
> Mobile +41 79 4157083

Re: Problem with Unicode

xtalkprogrammer
Hello Roland,

Economy-x-Talk has lots of experience with this kind of unicode
problems. We could write a library for you or just help you to sort
out the problem. Feel free to contact me off-list.

Best,

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk
Consultancy and Software Engineering

www.salery.biz/salery.html

Op 6-mei-2006, om 23:29 heeft RH het volgende geschreven:

> Russian-English Learning Stack
>

> This applies to the Windows version. I have not tested any other
> version.
>

> I want to build a language learning software that uses various
> methods and a
> lot of multimedia to teach Russian language. Unicode support is
> needed. I
> found that entering Cyrillic language into field 1 is possible. But
> to set
> another field with exactly the same properties will distort
> characters after
> the first space.
>

> Field "Russian 1": "Как дела" (how are you?)
>
> Field "Russian 2": "Как????"
>

> on mouseUp
>
>   set the useUnicode to true
>
>   set the unicodeText of field "Russian2" to field "Russian1" -
> only first
> word is moved correctly
>
> end mouseUp
>

> Setting a field to ASCII using a Cyrillic font does not work either
> because
> a field crashes on such settings. For example field "Russian" is
> set to font
> "Arial CYR" and trying to enter Cyrillic will lead to very strange
> behaviour
> of text entry, cursor bouncing, etc.
>

> I consider this heavy bugs and it would disallow building my project.
>

> May be some workarounds are available?
>

> Roland

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Problem with Unicode

Devin Asay

On May 6, 2006, at 3:29 PM, RH wrote:

> I want to build a language learning software that uses various
> methods and a
> lot of multimedia to teach Russian language. Unicode support is
> needed. I
> found that entering Cyrillic language into field 1 is possible. But
> to set
> another field with exactly the same properties will distort
> characters after
> the first space.
>

> Field "Russian 1": "Как дела" (how are you?)
>
> Field "Russian 2": "Как????"
>

> on mouseUp
>
>   set the useUnicode to true
>
>   set the unicodeText of field "Russian2" to field "Russian1" -
> only first
> word is moved correctly
>
> end mouseUp
>

> Setting a field to ASCII using a Cyrillic font does not work either
> because
> a field crashes on such settings. For example field "Russian" is
> set to font
> "Arial CYR" and trying to enter Cyrillic will lead to very strange
> behaviour
> of text entry, cursor bouncing, etc.

Roland,
I feel your pain. However, you can get it to work. I've been working
on a very similar project with Cyrillic, and have solved most of the
problems you're encountering, both in Mac OS X and Windows. I haven't
seen this specific problem, but have seen similar ones. The biggest
problem is that characters that fall into the ASCII range, like space
(ascii 32), comma (44), period (46) are not encoded as unicode, but
remain ascii. To see what I mean type some Cyrillic text into your
field and enter this in the message box:

put the htmlText of fld "Russian 1"

You'll see that all of the Cyrillic characters are rendered as
Unicode entities in the htmltext, but the ascii-range characters are
simply rendered as the character glyphs themselves, and are enclosed
by a different font tag. One approach is to convert all the ascii
characters to unicode, like this:

replace space with uniencode(space,"w") in fld "russian 1"

It can help in some cases but can also get messy.

You can also try setting the htmlText of fld 2 to the htmlText of fld
1. Generally speaking, unicode "travels" better as unicode entities
imbedded in html than as straight unicode.

You might try looking at my site at revolution.byu.edu. Go to the
Tutorials by Topic link and look for Revolution and Unicode. There
are some notes there about using unicode, as well as some links at
the bottom to some example stacks. You'll have to open those from
within Rev, of course, by entering in the message box:

go stack url "http://revolution.byu.edu/unicode/unicodeTrials.rev"

HTH

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University

Re: Problem with Unicode

Dar Scott

On May 6, 2006, at 3:29 PM, RH wrote:

> on mouseUp
>
>   set the useUnicode to true
>
>   set the unicodeText of field "Russian2" to field "Russian1" -
> only first
> word is moved correctly
>
> end mouseUp

Do this (as Mark Smith suggested):

on mouseUp
   set the unicodeText of field "Russian2" to the unicodeText field
"Russian1"
end mouseUp

The useUnicode property is very limited in what it influences.  It
applies to charToNum and numToChar only.  For example, from the code
point of a Unicode character you can create the host-orter UTF-16
used by Rev.

Dar Scott