Problem with editable field -

William de Smet
Thanks for the advice Troy,

I've made a new data stack and linked it to the mainstack.
After creating the standalone application it still works and that's
what I needed.
However now I've got two visible files under Windows: one .exe file
and one .rev file.
Mac OSX just shows one file.

Chipp embeds his library substacks but he problably doesn't need to
update and save, like I do.
After reading the suggestions I believe there is no way to put it all
in one file, is there?
How can I make the distribution under WIndows more friendly. Do I
need to make or use an installer?
Until now I distributed a single .exe file.

Any suggestions?

William de Smet

Re: Problem with editable field -

Chipp Walters

William de Smet wrote:

> Chipp embeds his library substacks but he problably doesn't need to
> update and save, like I do.

I save data either in binary files (stacks) or xml/text files. I
typically let the user choose where to save the file in the typical
document/application framework.

> After reading the suggestions I believe there is no way to put it all
> in one file, is there?

If you use a splashscreen stack (search this list for splashscreen), you
can have your mainstack downloaded from the web and editable-- though I
don't recommend ever saving data with interface.

Check out Monte's InstallGadget at www.sweattechnologies.com

It's super simple.

Re: Problem with editable field -

Troy Rollins

On Oct 31, 2005, at 4:52 PM, William de Smet wrote:

> Chipp embeds his library substacks but he problably doesn't need to
> update and save, like I do.
> After reading the suggestions I believe there is no way to put it all
> in one file, is there?
> How can I make the distribution under WIndows more friendly. Do I need
> to make or use an installer?
> Until now I distributed a single .exe file.

Hi,

No, there really is no way to have a single file, which is an
executable, and still save the data. You'll need to save it somewhere.
Often, this can be stored in a preferences file in one of the "special
folders."

Chipp's suggestion's are also good ones. In my own projects, I usually
have a resource folder alongside my executable, and place any required
data stacks within it. If it is something where they might want to
share files, then using standard "get file" dialogs are useful to
determine where the user might want to save things.

Finally, if distribution simplicity is the key, consider this... simply
have a template substack that is contained within your main stack. When
the main stack is run, check for the existence of your data stack, if
it doesn't yet exist, have your executable create it from the template.
This lets you have the single file distribution, but a savable data
stack after the user runs the app.

--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.

Re: Problem with editable field -

Jan Schenkel
--- William de Smet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the advice Troy,
>
> I've made a new data stack and linked it to the
> mainstack.
> After creating the standalone application it still
> works and that's
> what I needed.
> However now I've got two visible files under
> Windows: one .exe file
> and one .rev file.
> Mac OSX just shows one file.
>
> Chipp embeds his library substacks but he problably
> doesn't need to
> update and save, like I do.
> After reading the suggestions I believe there is no
> way to put it all
> in one file, is there?
> How can I make the distribution under WIndows more
> friendly. Do I
> need to make or use an installer?
> Until now I distributed a single .exe file.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> William de Smet

Hi William,

You've already received a suggestion to include a
'template' stack in your standalone, and to save that
as a separate stack on the user's hard drive -- on
startup, you check if the file exists; if so, you open
it; if not, you work with the template substack.

To this scenario, I'd like to add the suggestion of
saving the stack to the user's Application Data
directory on Windows (or Home directory on Unix-based
machines).
See the Transcript Dictionary for a detailed overview
of the 'specialFolderPath' function.
Be sure to check out Ken Ray's research of this
function on his excellent Revolution developer
resources site, at:
<http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/tips/file010.htm>

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam - Tools for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====
"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish at the same time."  (La Rochefoucauld)