Problem with "Save As Standalone App"

Ban Nguyen
Hello,

I am having problem with "Save As Standalone App."
I have a Rev file (about 400,000 KB) when I save it as standalone app
(making an exe file).  It took a long time to finish.  The exe file size
is only 1,620 KB.  I could not open it.  I don't know what's wrong.
Could someone help me with this?  Thank you

Re: Problem with "Save As Standalone App"

J. Landman Gay
On 7/18/05 11:52 AM, Ban Nguyen wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I am having problem with "Save As Standalone App."
> I have a Rev file (about 400,000 KB) when I save it as standalone app
> (making an exe file).  It took a long time to finish.  The exe file size
> is only 1,620 KB.  I could not open it.  I don't know what's wrong.
> Could someone help me with this?  Thank you

We don't have enough information. Do you get an error message? Did you
enter all the settings in the Standalone Application Settings (in the
File menu) before you did the build?

Jacque's Great!

Timothy Miller-2
I've retained Jacque (as in J. Landman Gay) as a Rev consultant, on a
per-hour basis, on and off over the past few months. The job is
pretty much done now. Not only did she prepare my HC stacks for
transition to Rev, she also helped me to learn to fly on my own wings
in Rev. She was patient and resourceful. My stacks have grown quite
complex over the years, since I wrote the first simple one in HC 1.0.
Because I'm a self-taught do-it-yourself end-user, you can imagine
all the bad scripting practices to be found in my stacks. Complex
plus bad scripting practices = big headaches for the consultant. You
can imagine.

Anyway, she did a great job, technically, while patiently suggesting
better scripting practices, and otherwise treating me nice. The
stacks are all very stable, now. She was willing to work on my stacks
herself, or to be available as a consultant by email when I came
across stuff I couldn't fix. We did some of each. I don't really know
what the going rate is, but her fees seem quite reasonable.

The days I posted dumb questions on the list -- those weren't her
fault. That happened either before I retained her, or on the rare
days she wasn't available by email and I was impatient about fixing
some problem.

(BTW, the debugger anomaly, discussed last week, if anyone remembers
it, turned out to be a bug. It will only debug a bg script on card 1
of the background. I built a fresh, clean stack in 2.6.1 to confirm
it. It's been posted on BZ. That one wasn't dumb, contrary to my own
self-doubt.)

I guess other folks on this list also earn their daily bread as
self-employed X-talk consultants. I don't want to diminish their
ability by comparison. Judging by their messages on the list, they
know their stuff, too. This is just one endorsement for Jacque, from
one grateful client.

Cheers,

Tim Miller

--awww, what the heck--

Timothy Miller, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Stockton, CA

Re: Jacque's Great!

Richard Gaskin
Amen to that, brother.

I've hired Jacque myself in the past, and recently recommended her to a
client whose work I'd love to do but things are just too busy here right
now to do it well.  She's always done a great job and has a rare gift
for communication as well, offering good feedback on topics that might
be difficult for anyone else but from her it's always well recieved and
highly productive.

In fact, if there's any reason I'm at all diplomatic on my better days,
I owe at least some of that to her feedback over the years. :)

The only thing that mystifies me about Jacque is how she's able to take
such good care of so many people and then also find the time to take
care of so many more with the online scripting conference series.

:::: releasing balloons that read "Hurray for Jacque" ::::

  Managing Editor, revJournal

Re: Jacque's Great!

Andre Garzia

On Jul 18, 2005, at 8:23 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> :::: releasing balloons that read "Hurray for Jacque" ::::

I want one!!!!!

Jacque is great!!!!

and that is one of the reasons I like this list so much, it's a place
where consultants on the same niche praise each other with no regrets
or competition!!! :D

Many cheers to Jacque!

Andre

Re: Jacque's Great!

Richard Gaskin
Andre Garzia wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2005, at 8:23 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> :::: releasing balloons that read "Hurray for Jacque" ::::
>
> I want one!!!!!
>
> Jacque is great!!!!
>
> and that is one of the reasons I like this list so much, it's a place
> where consultants on the same niche praise each other with no regrets
> or competition!!! :D

It's also a testimony to the good marketing from Kevin, Rod, and the
others at RunRev.  As their user base grows most full-time Rev
consultants I know are booked many months ahead with lots of interesting
work.

These days there's plenty of work to go around.  Let's just hope Rev
doesn't become so popular that we get commoditized like VB and Java
programmers....  ;)

It's a good thing for future Rev scripters that I don't own the company:
   it's such a competitive advantage for our clients that I'd stop
selling it and make it a private club for existing customers only. :)

  Managing Editor, revJournal

Re: Jacque's Great!

mwieder
Timothy-

Monday, July 18, 2005, 4:04:38 PM, you wrote:

TM> I've retained Jacque (as in J. Landman Gay) as a Rev consultant, on a

Ah... you're in good hands then. Just watch her estimates - she tends
to list everything in seconds these days... <g>

TM> (BTW, the debugger anomaly, discussed last week, if anyone remembers
TM> it, turned out to be a bug. It will only debug a bg script on card 1
TM> of the background. I built a fresh, clean stack in 2.6.1 to confirm
TM> it. It's been posted on BZ. That one wasn't dumb, contrary to my own
TM> self-doubt.)

Thanks for persevering on that one. I was convinced it was something
in your code. BTW - if you publish the BZ number it's easier to find
and vote for bugs. That one's #3011 - took me several tries to find
it. I just verified it myself and threw five votes its way.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Jacque's Great!

Sarah Reichelt
Hear, hear!

While I have never hired Jacque, I have imposed on her good nature
many times over many years, first on the Hypercard list and now here.
She is unfailingly helpful, polite and extremely knowledgeable.

Many thanks to Jacque and all the other helpful folk on this list.

Sarah

Re: Jacque's Great!

J. Landman Gay
Oh gosh, guys, thanks so much. I was away all evening and didn't get
back to the computer until about 1121748600 (Jacque standard time,) and
there was all this nice stuff about me here. I'm not used to it, but it
was so nice of Tim and all the rest of you. Made my day (which up till
then wasn't so great.) I should leave and come back more often, I guess.

I WILL BE AWAY TOMORROW FROM 1121796000 TO... oh, never mind. ;)

It is true that everyone on this list is giving; it isn't just me. When
I see the amount of care and attention everyone contributes to our
community I am constantly amazed. Together we are such a wealth of
information. Together we are so...family. How could we not help each
other? Every one of you gives as much as I do -- even the newbies who
think they are asking dumb questions but who are actually opening the
fonts of knowledge for everyone's benefit.

Anyway, thanks again. Truly.

Jacque

RE: Problem with "Save As Standalone App"

Ban Nguyen

> Hello,
>

> I am having problem with "Save As Standalone App."
> I have a Rev file (about 400,000 KB) when I save it as standalone app
> (making an exe file).  It took a long time to finish.  The exe file
size
> is only 1,620 KB.  I could not open it.  I don't know what's wrong.
> Could someone help me with this?  Thank you

We don't have enough information. Do you get an error message? Did you
enter all the settings in the Standalone Application Settings (in the
File menu) before you did the build?

It took so long to finish.  I created a new folder to save it.  I opened
the folder.  It has two file myfile.rev(400,000 KB) and myfile.exe(1,650
KB).  I clicked on the myfile.exe.  It displayed an error: "cannot open
file myfile.exe, error message 0, 0"

Does anyone have any idea what's happening?

I tried to save a small application and I worked fine.  The only file
that I see after saving as standalone is .exe file (no .rev).  I don't
know if something wrong with the big file????

Please help

Thank you

Re: Jacque's Great!

Mark Talluto

On Jul 18, 2005, at 4:34 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> These days there's plenty of work to go around.  Let's just hope
> Rev doesn't become so popular that we get commoditized like VB and
> Java programmers....  ;)
>
> It's a good thing for future Rev scripters that I don't own the
> company:   it's such a competitive advantage for our clients that
> I'd stop selling it and make it a private club for existing
> customers only. :)

I hear you on that.  I would do the same if it was up to me.  Luckily
for all the future users yet to find this wonderful tool, it will be
there for them.

Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software
http://www.canelasoftware.com

Re: Jacque's Great!

Timothy Miller-2
>Timothy-
>
>Monday, July 18, 2005, 4:04:38 PM, you wrote:
>
>TM> I've retained Jacque (as in J. Landman Gay) as a Rev consultant, on a
>
>Ah... you're in good hands then. Just watch her estimates - she tends
>to list everything in seconds these days... <g>
>
>TM> (BTW, the debugger anomaly, discussed last week, if anyone remembers
>TM> it, turned out to be a bug. It will only debug a bg script on card 1
>TM> of the background. I built a fresh, clean stack in 2.6.1 to confirm
>TM> it. It's been posted on BZ. That one wasn't dumb, contrary to my own
>TM> self-doubt.)
>
>Thanks for persevering on that one. I was convinced it was something
>in your code. BTW - if you publish the BZ number it's easier to find
>and vote for bugs. That one's #3011 - took me several tries to find
>it. I just verified it myself and threw five votes its way.
>
>--
>-Mark Wieder
>  [hidden email]

Regarding the perseverance, you're welcome Mark. It was probably a
good troubleshooting experience for me.

Actually, Jacque posted it on BZ. I didn't feel qualified to confirm
it was a bug. She thought that if no one else had noticed it, it
couldn't be a very serious problem, and Rev would probably fix it
pretty quick anyway. I hope I quoted you correctly, J.

Tim

Re: Jacque's Great!

J. Landman Gay
On 7/19/05 1:44 PM, Timothy Miller wrote:

> Actually, Jacque posted it on BZ. I didn't feel qualified to confirm it
> was a bug. She thought that if no one else had noticed it, it couldn't
> be a very serious problem, and Rev would probably fix it pretty quick
> anyway. I hope I quoted you correctly, J.

Yes. But just yesterday someone wrote to tech support about the same
thing. So maybe more people than I suspected are running into the bug
and just not reporting it.

Re: Jacque's Great!

Chipp Walters
I just like reading the subject line, and didn't want this thread to die.

-Chipp

Ban Nguyen wrote:

 > It took so long to finish.  I created a new folder to save it.  I opened
 > the folder.  It has two file myfile.rev(400,000 KB) and myfile.exe(1,650
 > KB).  I clicked on the myfile.exe.  It displayed an error: "cannot open
 > file myfile.exe, error message 0, 0"
 >
 > Does anyone have any idea what's happening?
 >
 > I tried to save a small application and I worked fine.  The only file
 > that I see after saving as standalone is .exe file (no .rev).  I don't
 > know if something wrong with the big file????

I don't know what is wrong, but here are some general things that cause
problems:

1. The path to the stack contains non-ASCII characters, such as
diacritical marks or accent marks.  Avoid the use of accented or
non-ASCII characters in path names.

2. The standalone builder is set to search for inclusions but the stack
is password protected. Select the inclusions manually instead, or remove
the password.

3. Alternately, the standalone builder may be having trouble searching
for the required inclusions regardless of password protection. Turn off
"Search for required inclusions" and turn on "Select inclusions for the
standalone application." Then choose the resources you need to include
yourself in the Standalone Settings dialog.

4. The folder name is the same as your standalone's name. You need a
unique folder name; make sure you select an empty folder with a name
different from the standalone's name.  If you have previously built a
standalone from the same stack, do not try to build a new one into the
same folder. Trying to overwrite an existing standalone with a new one
can casue problems. Rename or remove the old folder first, and then build.

5. Your source stack's file name does not use an extension, or uses an
incorrect extension. Make sure your stack's file name ends with the
extension ".rev"

6. Your source stack contains duplicate "message box" or "ask" or
"answer" dialogs. Remove the embedded stacks and let the standalone
builder add them instead. (This usually only occurs with stacks
originally created in MetaCard.)

Re: Jacque's Great!

Judy Perry
Well, I can help keep it going!

Jacque's support has helped me rise above User Level = Amoeba to User
Level = Protozoa ;-)

Thanks, Jacque!  Can't wait until I've evolved into, say, something that
walks/crawls on land :-D

Judy