PullDown Menu and the label

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Hi all.

I'm pretty sure this is a bug. If I set the label of a pulldown menu button where the label was empty before, the button does not display the label. I checked the property inspector, and the label is indeed set, but the label does not display until I interact with the button and actually select the menu choice.

Setting the text, then setting the label or even the menuHistory does not suffice to display the menu label. Bug? Expected behavior? It seems to work with every other menu button type.

Mac 10.13 LC v9 Community

Re: PullDown Menu and the label

Bob Sneidar wrote:
 > I'm pretty sure this is a bug. If I set the label of a pulldown menu
 > button where the label was empty before, the button does not display
 > the label. I checked the property inspector, and the label is indeed
 > set, but the label does not display until I interact with the button
 > and actually select the menu choice.
 >
 > Setting the text, then setting the label or even the menuHistory does
 > not suffice to display the menu label. Bug? Expected behavior? It
 > seems to work with every other menu button type.

Setting the text of a pulldown menu should not change that object's
apparent label.  In any app, note the menu bar menus: items in a menu
may change, but those changes do not change the name of the menu in
which they appear.

As for the label property itself, yes, one of the wonderful things about
LC is the ability to set object name and display label separately, so we
can use names that have mnemonic value in our code while providing a
graceful experience for the user.

But FWIW that seems to work here (v9, Ubuntu).

I've never seen it do otherwise.

Recipe?

Re: PullDown Menu and the label

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
I have noticed that if you set the text of a menu button without setting the label, the label becomes the first line in the text. It may only do this on a Mac though.

I will try with a new stack. There may be something in mine preventing it from working. Who knows?

Bob S

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > I have noticed that if you set the text of a menu button without
 > setting the label, the label becomes the first line in the text.
 > It may only do this on a Mac though.

If you haven't set the label, what exactly appears in that first line in
the text?

If you find a step-by-step recipe I'd be happy to try it here.

Re: PullDown Menu and the label

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Sorry  Iwas working on something else.

I may not have explained it well. I have a Pulldown Menu with these options:

Device Installation
Device Relocation
Firmware Update
Onsite Service
Remote Service
Software Installation
Other...

When no datagrid record is selected, I set the label of this menu to empty, because it is both a display object for the selected record in the datagrid, as well as an input object when editing the data.

Now the handler which "populates" the form will set the label to the value in the datagrid record corresponding to it. But when the user clicks the New button on the form, all the input objects/controls are initialized, and in the past I simply set the label of this button to empty. But now instead of leaving the object empty, I want to pre-populate it with the text, "Select the service type..." as a visula clue for the user.

When I set the label of the button to "Select the service type...", instead of displaying that text, it displays nothing, but in the property inspector, the label is actually set properly. Other menu buttons seem to work, and I thought this worked in the past, but now it seems not to.

I will throw a demo together later. I have to get a new employee and computer set up in AD before Monday Morning and I am running out of time. Thanks though for your interest and help. Best list ever!

Bob S

> On Jun 8, 2018, at 14:10 , Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bob Sneidar wrote:
>
> > I have noticed that if you set the text of a menu button without
> > setting the label, the label becomes the first line in the text.
> > It may only do this on a Mac though.
>
> If you haven't set the label, what exactly appears in that first line in the text?
>
> If you find a step-by-step recipe I'd be happy to try it here.
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World Systems

Re: PullDown Menu and the label

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
NVM I figured it out. I had in the past, to avoid having a see through menu button, set the showName of the button to false in a populateForm handler.

Bob S