Quartam Reports Released

Paul Looney-2
Are you serious?
Have we been waiting 19 months for a "Report Maker" that doesn't break
scrolling fields across multiple pages?!?
Paul Looney

Re: Quartam Reports Released

Jan Schenkel
--- [hidden email] wrote:
> Are you serious?
> Have we been waiting 19 months for a "Report Maker"
> that doesn't break
> scrolling fields across multiple pages?!?
> Paul Looney

Hi Paul,

Let me start by saying that I do appreciate your
concern and understand your sentiment very well.

While it is true that it does not _yet_ break
scrolling fields accross multiple pages, it is right
at the top of my list of items to incorporate.

I would encourage everyone to have a good look at the
current feature set: there are useful items for
everyone, a lot of them going far beyond what 9-to-5
Reports or Reports Data Pro ever offered for
HyperCard.

Quartam Reports is based on traditional reporting
tools as you would find in FoxPro, Access and
FileMaker Pro -- it offers among other items:

- data fields using everyday Transcript expressions
- data groups with separate header and footer
- flexible formatting options
- aggregate functions without a line of code
- support for printing conditions, color and inks
- simplified printing commands for stacks, database
cursors and automated queries
- an advanced callback architecture that lets you
combine data from multiple sources

All that in a cross-platform package that lets you get
the most out of what Revolution has to offer. Data
doesn't just come from stacks, it is stored in
databases, internet pages, xml-files, web services,...

Providing developers with support for these advanced
features was my goal. And in order to get this out of
my computer into the hands of my fellow Rev-users,
while working a full-time job, I had to prioritize.

Perhaps not everyone will be happy with the decision
making process that I employed for this, but I do
think that this is a powerful and valuable addition to
the arsenal of Rev-related tools.

In order to accomplish this, I've had to be *quite*
resourceful to make it all work: creating a layout
builder like the one that ships with Quartam Reports,
has proven quite a challenge.

That being said, I would like to repeat that it is my
top priority to bring dynamic resizing fields to the
mix. I have a working prototype that, once again, had
to circumvent limitations in the environment.

But I have to do more than split text over pages: I
need to support relative positioning of items to make
this feature as flexible as it deserves to be. Another
challenge that I'm taking up in the coming weeks.

Version 1.0 is not an end-point, it is the start of a
long roadmap that will offer developers the best of
features found in similar tools. There are some
exciting features waiting in the wings.

A lot of developers will be more than fine starting
out with this first version. And allow me to point out
that the upgrade to version 1.1 will be FREE to anyone
who buys version 1.0 between now and when the upgrade
ships. I think that shows my commitment.

Again, I most certainly appreciate your eagerness to
have this feature. And I'll make it happen shortly. In
the meantime, Quartam Reports offers tremendous value
right here and right now.

Best regards,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam - Tools for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====
"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish at the same time."  (La Rochefoucauld)

Re: Quartam Reports Released

Dan Shafer
Paul.....

Wow. that was a quick judgment call.

Nothing about all the great stuff it DOES make possible?

I have to say, I seldom have a need for splitting a scrolling field
over multiple pages, but then the kind of reports I usually end up
doing are far more like business reports examples in the Quartam stack.

On Jul 14, 2005, at 2:11 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Are you serious?
> Have we been waiting 19 months for a "Report Maker" that doesn't break
> scrolling fields across multiple pages?!?
> Paul Looney
Dan Shafer, Revolution Consultant and Author
http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.shafermedia.com/revolutionbooks.html

Re: Quartam Reports Released

Jan Schenkel
[my apologies if this appears twice]

--- [hidden email] wrote:
> [...]

long roadmap that will offer developers the best of
features found in similar tools. There are some
exciting features waiting in the wings.

A lot of developers will be more than fine starting
out with this first version. And allow me to point out
that the upgrade to version 1.1 will be FREE to anyone
who buys version 1.0 between now and when the upgrade
ships. I think that shows my commitment.

Again, I most certainly appreciate your eagerness to
have this feature. And I'll make it happen shortly. In
the meantime, Quartam Reports offers tremendous value
right here and right now.

Best regards,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam - Tools for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====
"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish at the same time."  (La Rochefoucauld)

Dan,
     That was NOT a quick judgment call. I met with Jan at Mac World in
January of 2004. We talked for 5 hours. I was adamant about the necessity to
accommodate data in scrolling fields. I have repeatedly told Kevin why this is
necessary. I have repeatedly volunteered to be a beta tester for any reports system
they wanted my to help test.
     I have actually been extremely patient. We have all been patient.
Revolution promised a report maker for version 2.0, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5 (where they took
away everything else and told us to expect "a third party alternative").
Revolution STILL does not have a viable report maker.
     You ask:
          "Nothing about all the great stuff it DOES make possible?"
     Well Dan, if you buy a cookbook and   then find it doesn't have any
recipes, it doesn't make any difference if it is lavishly illustrated or if it
contains wise and witty saying - it won't help you cook! A modern report maker
MUST accommodate scrolling fields! There is no need to look further.
     Consolidating data can be done in a stack; you don't need a report maker
for that. You don't need (and probably don't want) HTML text. The bells and
whistles can't hide the fact that Quartam Reports doesn't do basic the basic
stuff it needs to do.
     I have spent over 30 years designing business systems. I have used a lot
of programs. Anything I'd use today would accommodate scrolling fields.
Modern Invoices, Statements, Quotes, Contracts require them - unless I confine my
business to companies that only write one page orders...
     Today we still cannot build a business system in Revolution that has repo
rting capabilities equal to circa 1992 HyperCard.
     So, it was not a quick call, just a slow boil.
Paul Looney