Quicktime on PC stuttering during Video displays

Quicktime on PC stuttering during Video displays

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Hi from Beautiful Brittany,

Running LiveCode 5.5 on my Macs for many years with several
very successful conversions to a PC platform (Windows 7)
Apart  from some field parameters and choice of "more PC"
oriented character sets, I could convert in no time. Happy Bunny !
However, some of my Apple Livecode stacks use Quicktime to play
my audio and video tracks. For MP3, Happy Bunny once more !
With .MP4 (et alia), I get glitches during replay.
I've seen warnings about Quicktime on PC but I ignored them as my
video use was very limited. I put the problem on the back-burner.

Recently I use much more video, and have to solve the problem.
Google searches invited me to use VLC or KMPlayer.

What modifications must I apply to choose a good solution ?
LiveCode Help on the internet is obtuse !
Does using the "dontuseQT" command solve this problem (sounds far
too easy, even for LiveCode ….. !)

I hope that  my LiveCode status of 5.5 (can't afford LiveCode updates)
is not going to restrict me in any way.

I have a feeling that Klaus could help me out here ! (thanks for the music)

Thanks for any help

-Francis

Re: Quicktime on PC stuttering during Video displays

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Hi Francis,

Is it Windows 10 that you’re having trouble playing video on?

Apple stopped supporting QT with that version and the latest version of QT won’t work on Windows 10. However, a previous version should install and work. I happen to have it:

http://artsinteractive-products.s3.amazonaws.com/MITA/QuickTimeInstaller.exe <http://artsinteractive-products.s3.amazonaws.com/MITA/QuickTimeInstaller.exe>

“dontuseQT” otherwise won’t help you.

Peter

> On Jul 30, 2018, at 1:06 PM, Francis Nugent Dixon via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi from Beautiful Brittany,
>
> Running LiveCode 5.5 on my Macs for many years with several
> very successful conversions to a PC platform (Windows 7)
> Apart  from some field parameters and choice of "more PC"
> oriented character sets, I could convert in no time. Happy Bunny !
> However, some of my Apple Livecode stacks use Quicktime to play
> my audio and video tracks. For MP3, Happy Bunny once more !
> With .MP4 (et alia), I get glitches during replay.
> I've seen warnings about Quicktime on PC but I ignored them as my
> video use was very limited. I put the problem on the back-burner.
>
> Recently I use much more video, and have to solve the problem.
> Google searches invited me to use VLC or KMPlayer.
>
> What modifications must I apply to choose a good solution ?
> LiveCode Help on the internet is obtuse !
> Does using the "dontuseQT" command solve this problem (sounds far
> too easy, even for LiveCode ….. !)
>
> I hope that  my LiveCode status of 5.5 (can't afford LiveCode updates)
> is not going to restrict me in any way.
>
> I have a feeling that Klaus could help me out here ! (thanks for the music)
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> -Francis

Re: Quicktime on PC stuttering during Video displays

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Hi Francis,

> Am 30.07.2018 um 22:06 schrieb Francis Nugent Dixon via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi from Beautiful Brittany,
>
> Running LiveCode 5.5 on my Macs for many years with several
> very successful conversions to a PC platform (Windows 7)
> Apart  from some field parameters and choice of "more PC"
> oriented character sets, I could convert in no time. Happy Bunny !
> However, some of my Apple Livecode stacks use Quicktime to play
> my audio and video tracks. For MP3, Happy Bunny once more !
> With .MP4 (et alia), I get glitches during replay.
> I've seen warnings about Quicktime on PC but I ignored them as my
> video use was very limited. I put the problem on the back-burner.
>
> Recently I use much more video, and have to solve the problem.
> Google searches invited me to use VLC or KMPlayer.
>
> What modifications must I apply to choose a good solution ?
> LiveCode Help on the internet is obtuse !
> Does using the "dontuseQT" command solve this problem (sounds far
> too easy, even for LiveCode ….. !)

if you: set the dontuseqt to TRUE
then you will only be able to ONLY play MPG (1), SOME AVI and MOV files with
"ancient" codecs in LC via: play vc "path/to/videofile.mp"

> I hope that  my LiveCode status of 5.5 (can't afford LiveCode updates)
> is not going to restrict me in any way.

I'm afraid it does.

> I have a feeling that Klaus could help me out here ! (thanks for the music)

Thank you for your confidence, but sorry, I cannot be of help here.

QT and Windows were never good companions, so you are out of luck because LC 5.5
will always use QT for multimedia playback on Windows.

> Thanks for any help
>
> -Francis

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Francis Nugent Dixon wrote:

> I hope that  my LiveCode status of 5.5 (can't afford LiveCode updates)
> is not going to restrict me in any way.

Unless you want your stacks/apps to be closed source you can use the latest community release. The license payment is only required if you want to lock up your code. Apps made with the community version can still be sold they only require you make the source code available.

James