Quit an Android

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Yay! The SivaSiva app works well on Android. 1 ½ years in the making!

I have two requests that there be way to quit the app.

But I recall you telling me that "User knows how to quit." And that  "quit" was not an important function in the app itself.

I may not have got that right… or maybe there are nuances about the way Android works.  Can you remind to Best Practice?

I was thinking of making the bottom  "Home" button return a dialog.

"You are home. You like to quit?"
       Cancel. | OK

Congratulations to you and the development team! Such an all-inclusive app! We will be app evangelists!

One tweak possibly needed:  I've downloaded this morning on a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.   Works very well, except there is no exit.  I didn't find a way to close the app.   The only way to exit was to click the capacitive "recent" button,<https://gadgetguideonline.com/s7/galaxy-s7-online-manual/galaxy-s7-buttons/> then close the app window.  Maybe this is by design, but thought I would let you know.

Re: Quit an Android

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:

 > I have two requests that there be way to quit the app.

Few apps have that.  Why do those users want this?

 > I may not have got that right… or maybe there are nuances about the
 > way Android works.  Can you remind to Best Practice?

Mobile OSes present a very different flow than desktop. This post
describes that well, along with some other fine points about explicit quit:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2033914/is-quitting-an-application-frowned-upon/2034238#2034238

FWIW at one time I believe I'd seen a discussion about this in the
Android Design Guidelines, but the latest version has a messy taxonomy
and if there's anything related to quitting I can't find it there.

Re: Quit an Android

Pi Digital via use-livecode
The user isn't asking for a way to quit, just for a controlled exit.
Typically this is done from the entry screen (the Home stack in this case)
when the Back button is pressed. Right now the app says "you are home" and
blocks the backKey message. Instead, ask if they want to quit and if so,
pass backKey. That allows Android to take over and the user will be taken
to their launcher or whatever app they were using before yours.

Some apps skip the dialog and just allow the user to leave seamlessly, it's
up to you. It only takes one time for the user to know what will happen.
Both methods are common.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]