RE: little OT: Did anyone from Germany receive the Conference

RE: little OT: Did anyone from Germany receive the Conference

barryb@libero.it
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 18:43:10 +0100 Tiemo Hollman wrote in response to Matthias

>Nooop :(
>Germany doesn't seems to be on the line in Edinburgh
>Tiemo

  Reminds me of an apparently true story here in Italy from the 2nd World War.
The phone lines to the isle of Sicily were interrupted and the switchboard
operator reported to his superior officer :- "Signore, the mainland is
isolated!"

Best Regards Barry

----------------
 >Donnerstag, 4. Februar 2010 18:36

> Hi,
>
> is there  anyone from germany here on the list, who has already  received
> the Conference DVD set ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthias

Re: little OT: Did anyone from Germany receive the Conference

Bernard Devlin-2
On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 11:22 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Reminds me of an apparently true story here in Italy from the 2nd World War.
> The phone lines to the isle of Sicily were interrupted and the switchboard
> operator reported to his superior officer :- "Signore, the mainland is
> isolated!"

Barry, the same set of circumstances happened in the UK, reportedly in 1939.

"Dense Fog in [the English] Channel: Continent Isolated for Three Days."

http://www.englishforums.com/English/ArePhoneTermsTurning/21/hwwcg/Post.htm

I remember hearing this anecdote in my childhood, and I could not see
what was funny about it - seemed to make sense to me, but it sits
strangely on the shoulders of a sea-faring nation.

Bernard