Quantcast

RSYNC still uses MD5 and...

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
RSYNC would be a nice and useful addition
to LiveCode engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync

Could RSYNC be implemented fast enough
using only LiveCode scripts?

Al

Re: RSYNC still uses MD5 and...

On 01/03/2017 02:39, Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode wrote:
> RSYNC would be a nice and useful addition
> to LiveCode engine.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync
>
> Could RSYNC be implemented fast enough
> using only LiveCode scripts?

The way that rsync uses hashes isn't at all problematic.  If an attacker
has the level of access to be able to introduce hash collisions into
files that you're copying using rsync, then you have bigger problems
than the hash collisions!

In my opinion, rsync isn't a wheel that needs to be reinvented using
LiveCode. :-)  However, yes, since rsync is almost entirely constrained
by IO bandwidth, there's no reason that you couldn't rewrite it to be
fast enough using LiveCode.

                                  Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>