Random topic: What script font do you like/use?

Random topic: What script font do you like/use?

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto
I've used Andale Mono by preference, but I don't have the bold, and
so on versions of LC after 5.x, bolding for comments and keywords
doesn't show up in the script editor. (Bah.)

I liked it because it was:
  1) clean-looking with a good x-height
  2) has easily distinguishable lowercase l, capital I, and number 1,
and zero and O

I thought about just buying the bold, but I've been experimenting
with other fonts. I tried Verdana for a while-it's not monospaced,
but fairly wide and very clean-looking-but it turns out that I prefer
monospaced fonts better for reading code. Maybe just because I'm so
used to them that non-monospaced fonts look weird in that context.
Source Code Pro is appealing.

-----

So...

What fonts do you like best for code?
Or does everybody just fall back on Courier? ;-)

Re: Random topic: What script font do you like/use?

Monte Goulding-2

> On 21 Sep 2016, at 11:31 AM, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Source Code Pro is appealing.

We are contemplating bundling this with LiveCode as the default it seems to be suitably licensed. Hack is also a pretty nice open source font http://sourcefoundry.org/hack/ <http://sourcefoundry.org/hack/>

Cheers

Monte

Re: Random topic: What script font do you like/use?

mwieder
On 09/20/2016 06:36 PM, Monte Goulding wrote:

>> On 21 Sep 2016, at 11:31 AM, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Source Code Pro is appealing.

Source Code Pro has been my coding font of choice on all platforms and
programming languages since it was first announced.

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Random topic: What script font do you like/use?

Jerry Daniels-3
I use Typewalk Mono 1915 Medium for the most part. They have a thin as well. I use thin and medium in my own editors and medium in the native one.

I am a former Verdana user for the exact reasons you stated, Jeanne. Good luck on your quest!

Best, Jerry

On Sep 20, 2016, 8:32 PM -0500, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> I've used Andale Mono by preference, but I don't have the bold, and
> so on versions of LC after 5.x, bolding for comments and keywords
> doesn't show up in the script editor. (Bah.)
>
> I liked it because it was:
> 1) clean-looking with a good x-height
> 2) has easily distinguishable lowercase l, capital I, and number 1,
> and zero and O
>
> I thought about just buying the bold, but I've been experimenting
> with other fonts. I tried Verdana for a while-it's not monospaced,
> but fairly wide and very clean-looking-but it turns out that I prefer
> monospaced fonts better for reading code. Maybe just because I'm so
> used to them that non-monospaced fonts look weird in that context.
> Source Code Pro is appealing.
>
> -----
>
> So...
>
> What fonts do you like best for code?
> Or does everybody just fall back on Courier? ;-)

Re: Random topic: What script font do you like/use?

AndyP
I default to Source Code Pro  SemiBold.

Good identification between upper and lower case, has easily distinguishable lowercase l, capital I, and number 1, and zero and O

You have the options of

Source Code Pro
Source Code Pro Black
Source Code Pro ExtraLight
Source Code Pro Light
Source Code Pro  SemiBold

Andy Piddock

TinyIDE a Free alternative minimalist IDE Plugin for LiveCode

Script editor Themer for LC http://2108.co.uk

PointandSee is a FREE simple but full featured under cursor colour picker / finder. http://www.pointandsee.co.uk - made with LiveCode

Re: Random topic: What script font do you like/use?

Richmond Mathewson-2
Ubuntu bold.

http://font.ubuntu.com

Richmond.

On 21.09.2016 04:31, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:

> I've used Andale Mono by preference, but I don't have the bold, and so
> on versions of LC after 5.x, bolding for comments and keywords doesn't
> show up in the script editor. (Bah.)
>
> I liked it because it was:
>  1) clean-looking with a good x-height
>  2) has easily distinguishable lowercase l, capital I, and number 1,
> and zero and O
>
> I thought about just buying the bold, but I've been experimenting with
> other fonts. I tried Verdana for a while-it's not monospaced, but
> fairly wide and very clean-looking-but it turns out that I prefer
> monospaced fonts better for reading code. Maybe just because I'm so
> used to them that non-monospaced fonts look weird in that context.
> Source Code Pro is appealing.
>
> -----
>
> So...
>
> What fonts do you like best for code?
> Or does everybody just fall back on Courier? ;-)

Re: Random topic: What script font do you like/use?

Peter TB Brett
On 21/09/2016 02:31, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:

> I've used Andale Mono by preference, but I don't have the bold, and so
> on versions of LC after 5.x, bolding for comments and keywords doesn't
> show up in the script editor. (Bah.)
>
> I liked it because it was:
>  1) clean-looking with a good x-height
>  2) has easily distinguishable lowercase l, capital I, and number 1, and
> zero and O
>
> I thought about just buying the bold, but I've been experimenting with
> other fonts. I tried Verdana for a while-it's not monospaced, but fairly
> wide and very clean-looking-but it turns out that I prefer monospaced
> fonts better for reading code. Maybe just because I'm so used to them
> that non-monospaced fonts look weird in that context. Source Code Pro is
> appealing.

I currently use Source Code Pro.  I find Courier nearly unreadable,
unfortunately.  In the past (by which I mean pre-2009) I used to mostly
use the "MiscFixed" X11 bitmap font.

                             Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
LiveCode Technical Project Manager

lcb-mode for Emacs: https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode

Re: Random topic: What script font do you like/use?

David V Glasgow
I use Trebuchet MS. It looks a bit different,  doesn't look like an MS font, and seems similar on Mac & Win.

Sent from my iBrain via iFingers & iPad

i-psych.co.uk

LinkedIn

> On 21 Sep 2016, at 02:31, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've used Andale Mono by preference, but I don't have the bold, and so on versions of LC after 5.x, bolding for comments and keywords doesn't show up in the script editor. (Bah.)
>
> I liked it because it was:
> 1) clean-looking with a good x-height
> 2) has easily distinguishable lowercase l, capital I, and number 1, and zero and O
>
> I thought about just buying the bold, but I've been experimenting with other fonts. I tried Verdana for a while-it's not monospaced, but fairly wide and very clean-looking-but it turns out that I prefer monospaced fonts better for reading code. Maybe just because I'm so used to them that non-monospaced fonts look weird in that context. Source Code Pro is appealing.
>
> -----
>
> So...
>
> What fonts do you like best for code?
> Or does everybody just fall back on Courier? ;-)

Re: Random topic: What script font do you like/use?

Mike Kerner
InputMono Light.  It's similar to SCP but I like the shapes better, and the
antialiasing is less fuzzy.

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 2:46 AM, David Glasgow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use Trebuchet MS. It looks a bit different,  doesn't look like an MS
> font, and seems similar on Mac & Win.
>
> Sent from my iBrain via iFingers & iPad
>
> i-psych.co.uk
>
> LinkedIn
>
> > On 21 Sep 2016, at 02:31, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I've used Andale Mono by preference, but I don't have the bold, and so
> on versions of LC after 5.x, bolding for comments and keywords doesn't show
> up in the script editor. (Bah.)
> >
> > I liked it because it was:
> > 1) clean-looking with a good x-height
> > 2) has easily distinguishable lowercase l, capital I, and number 1, and
> zero and O
> >
> > I thought about just buying the bold, but I've been experimenting with
> other fonts. I tried Verdana for a while-it's not monospaced, but fairly
> wide and very clean-looking-but it turns out that I prefer monospaced fonts
> better for reading code. Maybe just because I'm so used to them that
> non-monospaced fonts look weird in that context. Source Code Pro is
> appealing.
> >
> > -----
> >
> > So...
> >
> > What fonts do you like best for code?
> > Or does everybody just fall back on Courier? ;-)

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Random topic: What script font do you like/use?

Mike Kerner
http://input.fontbureau.com/

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 8:46 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> InputMono Light.  It's similar to SCP but I like the shapes better, and
> the antialiasing is less fuzzy.
>
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 2:46 AM, David Glasgow <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I use Trebuchet MS. It looks a bit different,  doesn't look like an MS
>> font, and seems similar on Mac & Win.
>>
>> Sent from my iBrain via iFingers & iPad
>>
>> i-psych.co.uk
>>
>> LinkedIn
>>
>> > On 21 Sep 2016, at 02:31, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I've used Andale Mono by preference, but I don't have the bold, and so
>> on versions of LC after 5.x, bolding for comments and keywords doesn't show
>> up in the script editor. (Bah.)
>> >
>> > I liked it because it was:
>> > 1) clean-looking with a good x-height
>> > 2) has easily distinguishable lowercase l, capital I, and number 1, and
>> zero and O
>> >
>> > I thought about just buying the bold, but I've been experimenting with
>> other fonts. I tried Verdana for a while-it's not monospaced, but fairly
>> wide and very clean-looking-but it turns out that I prefer monospaced fonts
>> better for reading code. Maybe just because I'm so used to them that
>> non-monospaced fonts look weird in that context. Source Code Pro is
>> appealing.
>> >
>> > -----
>> >
>> > So...
>> >
>> > What fonts do you like best for code?
>> > Or does everybody just fall back on Courier? ;-)

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:

 > I've used Andale Mono by preference, but I don't have the bold, and
 > so on versions of LC after 5.x, bolding for comments and keywords
 > doesn't show up in the script editor. (Bah.)
 >
 > I liked it because it was:
 >   1) clean-looking with a good x-height
 >   2) has easily distinguishable lowercase l, capital I, and number 1,
 > and zero and O

I was a big fan of Andale Mono for many years, deeply in love were it
not for one failing critical in programming:  the descending tail of the
comma is too short, requiring a closer look than should be necessary to
distinguish it from a period.

When I began moving most of my platform-independent work to Ubuntu I
tried out Ubuntu Mono.

At first this was because I'm something of an Ubuntu fanboi, but
ultimately I've come to appreciate its craftsmanship, aimed squarely at
coders while retaining the eye for good clean style that distinguishes
so much of the work from the Ubuntu design team.

Being the default Terminal and text editor choice on one of the leading
OSes for devops, Ubuntu Mono has proven itself with its spacious clean
kerning, and the comma is _very_ distinct from the period. :)

And I just checked: Ubuntu Mono renders well with bold in LiveCode.

It's free and open, downloadable here:
http://font.ubuntu.com/

I also find the standard Ubuntu font quite pleasing as well, an mildly
adventurous sans serif that maintains good readability on screen.  I
tend to use it in my conference presentations, no matter which OS I
happen to be talking about at the time.

At 7:45 AM +0100 9/21/2016, Peter TB Brett wrote:
>I currently use Source Code Pro.  I find Courier nearly unreadable,
>unfortunately.  In the past (by which I mean pre-2009) I used to
>mostly use the "MiscFixed" X11 bitmap font.

There are odd differences between Courier and Courier New depending
on platform. Back in the old days, I found Courier New too light on
OS X and Courier much better as a documentation font. On Windows it
was the opposite - Courier New looked much better than Courier, which
was oddly misshapen on Windows.

At 9:21 AM -0700 9/21/2016, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>I was a big fan of Andale Mono for many years, deeply in love were
>it not for one failing critical in programming:  the descending tail
>of the comma is too short, requiring a closer look than should be
>necessary to distinguish it from a period.

That's true. I've been known to retype periods or commas (or
semicolons or colons, which have the same problem) because I can't be
absolutely sure it's the right character in Andale Mono.

Ubuntu Mono looks good, though I find it a little condensed for my
taste. (Just goes to show how subtle people's preferences can be!)

Re: Random topic: What script font do you like/use?

Dave Kilroy
Source Code Pro since Mark Wieder (the font of all wisdom) posted the link on this list some years ago…

> <quote author="mwieder">
> On 09/20/2016 06:36 PM, Monte Goulding wrote:
> >
> >> On 21 Sep 2016, at 11:31 AM, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto &lt;<email>revolution@</email>&gt; wrote:
> >>
> >> Source Code Pro is appealing.
>
> Source Code Pro has been my coding font of choice on all platforms and
> programming languages since it was first announced.
>
> --
>   Mark Wieder
>   <email>ahsoftware@</email>

Peter M. Brigham

Random topic: What script font do you like/use?

Vokey, John
I use SourceCodePro in all my programming IDEs (LiveCode, R, Matlab, Octave, ...).  It is a very clean monospaced font, and comes in a wide variety of weights.

> On Sep 21, 2016, at 3:33 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 18:31:29 -0700
> From: "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <[hidden email]>
> To: How to use LiveCode <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Random topic: What script font do you like/use?
>
> I've used Andale Mono by preference, but I don't have the bold, and
> so on versions of LC after 5.x, bolding for comments and keywords
> doesn't show up in the script editor. (Bah.)
>
> I liked it because it was:
>  1) clean-looking with a good x-height
>  2) has easily distinguishable lowercase l, capital I, and number 1,
> and zero and O
>
> I thought about just buying the bold, but I've been experimenting
> with other fonts. I tried Verdana for a while-it's not monospaced,
> but fairly wide and very clean-looking-but it turns out that I prefer
> monospaced fonts better for reading code. Maybe just because I'm so
> used to them that non-monospaced fonts look weird in that context.
> Source Code Pro is appealing.
>
> -----
>
> So...
>
> What fonts do you like best for code?
> Or does everybody just fall back on Courier? ;-)

--
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that sometimes they are attributed to the wrong people. -- Benjamin Franklin

Dr. John R. Vokey
Chair
Department of Psychology

Re: Random topic: What script font do you like/use?

pmbrig

> On Sep 20, 2016, at 9:31 PM, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've used Andale Mono by preference, but I don't have the bold, and so on versions of LC after 5.x, bolding for comments and keywords doesn't show up in the script editor. (Bah.)
>
> I liked it because it was:
> 1) clean-looking with a good x-height
> 2) has easily distinguishable lowercase l, capital I, and number 1, and zero and O
>
> I thought about just buying the bold, but I've been experimenting with other fonts. I tried Verdana for a while-it's not monospaced, but fairly wide and very clean-looking-but it turns out that I prefer monospaced fonts better for reading code. Maybe just because I'm so used to them that non-monospaced fonts look weird in that context. Source Code Pro is appealing.
>
> -----
>
> So...
>
> What fonts do you like best for code?
> Or does everybody just fall back on Courier? ;-)

I use Monaco 12. Monospaced, differentiates zero / “O,” and “1” / lower-case “L” / upper-case “i,” has built-in bold style.

— Peter

Peter M. Brigham

Re: Random topic: What script font do you like/use?

Bob Sneidar-2
Oooh I DO like hack better! Small footprint too.

Bob S