Re: 8.1.10 Reporting the ScreenSize of a iPhone7: 0,0,375,667

Re: 8.1.10 Reporting the ScreenSize of a iPhone7: 0,0,375,667

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Well, the problem is the SA builder in 8.1.10 does not has a "slot" for iPhone 7+

I wonder if I can add it after the SA is built...

I will definitely check out your stack.

BR

On 6/17/18, 6:28 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Brian Milby via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    For iOS, you must have a splash screen image for every native resolution
    that you need to access.  If you don't have a 7+ splash, then you won't get
    a true 7+ rect.  What happens is that automatic scaling kicks in at the
    device level, so your stack only gets one of the splash images sizes.  So,
    the app is telling the phone what resolutions it supports via those splash
    screens and then the OS is adjusting to ensure that the full screen gets
    used.

    You can download my mobileProfile demo stack from the forum.  It uses
    profiles and GM to take care of resize when device rotates.  You can do it
    without profiles/GM, but it would at least let you see how it can work.

    One note is that GM/PM both work on mobile now without having to manually
    include any code (common library didn't get included when the post was
    written).

    I have not looked at this code in a while though.

    Thanks,
    Brian

    On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 10:03 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via
    use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

    > [my early post in pending due to length. I put the stack script in it.
    > Better to give the stack}
    >
    > Hmm. Trying to a little responsive design (works on any device/mobile
    > screen size)
    >
    > 1) Make a very stack with a widget "body" as browser that fill the whole
    > screen but for 50 at the bottom
    > 2) Fill the whole screen -50 at the bottom for a navigation/tool  - group
    > "footer"
    >
    > But we the need to hide the group footer when they turn in landscape.
    > (for view full screen video)
    > And show it again when when orientationChanges to Portrait.
    >
    > Just winging it, first time try to do this, no doubt all my methods need a
    > lot helps,  (missing the proper way to use resize and the browser widget
    > does not turn)
    >
    > But, first problem :
    >
    > I get a screenRect 0,0,375,667 on an iPhone 7+ and there is no way I can
    > add 7+ screen…
    >
    > Thanks, Apple!  (can't report screenrect from the hardware) They depend on
    > the splash screens, so I been told.
    >
    > What to do?
    >
    > And, all of the code in the stack script
    >
    > Available here (39k)
    >
    > Go stack url "http://wiki.hindu.org/uploads/BrowserLandscapeTest.livecode"
    >
    > Brahmanathaswami
    >
    > PS. If one can tell me where to "resize" message. … I have been staying
    > away from that for years!

Re: 8.1.10 Reporting the ScreenSize of a iPhone7: 0,0,375,667

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Hi BR,

The iPhone 6 screen is the same size as the 7. I load a splash screen at 750x1134.

be well,
randy
-----

> [...]
>>
>> Just winging it, first time try to do this, no doubt all my methods need a
>> lot helps,  (missing the proper way to use resize and the browser widget
>> does not turn)
>>
>> But, first problem :
>>
>> I get a screenRect 0,0,375,667 on an iPhone 7+ and there is no way I can
>> add 7+ screen…
>>
>> Thanks, Apple!  (can't report screenrect from the hardware) They depend on
>> the splash screens, so I been told.
>>
>> What to do?
>>
>> And, all of the code in the stack script
>>
>> Available here (39k)
>>
>> Go stack url "http://wiki.hindu.org/uploads/BrowserLandscapeTest.livecode"
>>
>> Brahmanathaswami
>>
>> PS. If one can tell me where to "resize" message. … I have been staying
>> away from that for years!

Re: 8.1.10 Reporting the ScreenSize of a iPhone7: 0,0,375,667

Correct... the 6/7/8 are all the same size, the plus sizes are also the same. X is also available as a size.
On Jun 18, 2018, 9:20 AM -0500, Randy Hengst via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > Just winging it, first time try to do this, no doubt all my methods need a
> > > lot helps, (missing the proper way to use resize and the browser widget
> > > does not turn)
> > >
> > > But, first problem :
> > >
> > > I get a screenRect 0,0,375,667 on an iPhone 7+ and there is no way I can
> > > add 7+ screen…
> > >
> > > Thanks, Apple! (can't report screenrect from the hardware) They depend on
> > > the splash screens, so I been told.
> > >
> > > What to do?
> > >
> > > And, all of the code in the stack script
> > >
> > > Available here (39k)
> > >
> > > Go stack url "http://wiki.hindu.org/uploads/BrowserLandscapeTest.livecode"
> > >
> > > Brahmanathaswami
> > >
> > > PS. If one can tell me where to "resize" message. … I have been staying
> > > away from that for years!

Re: 8.1.10 Reporting the ScreenSize of a iPhone7: 0,0,375,667

I have a 750 X 1134 in the iPhone 6 "slot" But LC 8.1.10 still be reports that the screenrect is 0,0,375,667

" Correct... the 6/7/8 are all the same size, the plus sizes are also the same. X is also available as a size."

Hmmm

https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/ios/icons-and-images/launch-screen/

Says otherwise

What you need, for iPhone 7+, is the same as 6 Plus but not the same as  6.

Now I think we have a bug: if you have the 1242 X 2208 loaded in the 6 Plus slot, but LC thinks, on an iPhone 7+, that it should report the wrong size (that of 6) as the screenrect.

3 / 1242x2208 = 0,0,414,736 not 0,0,375,667

BR

On 6/18/18, 4:27 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Brian Milby via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Correct... the 6/7/8 are all the same size, the plus sizes are also the same. X is also available as a size.
    On Jun 18, 2018, 9:20 AM -0500, Randy Hengst via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:
    >Hi BR,
    >
    >The iPhone 6 screen is the same size as the 7. I load a splash screen at 750x1134.

Re: 8.1.10 Reporting the ScreenSize of a iPhone7: 0,0,375,667

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Hi Brahmanathaswami,

If your device is iPhone7 Plus, then you have to put the appropriate splash
screens in the "iPhone 6 Plus Portrait" and "iPhone 6 Plus Lscape" slots in
the standalone iOS settings.

Best,
Panos
--

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 4:25 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via
use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a 750 X 1134 in the iPhone 6 "slot" But LC 8.1.10 still be reports
> that the screenrect is 0,0,375,667
>
> " Correct... the 6/7/8 are all the same size, the plus sizes are also the
> same. X is also available as a size."
>
> Hmmm
>
> https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-
> guidelines/ios/icons-and-images/launch-screen/
>
> Says otherwise
>
> What you need, for iPhone 7+, is the same as 6 Plus but not the same as
> 6.
>
> Now I think we have a bug: if you have the 1242 X 2208 loaded in the 6
> Plus slot, but LC thinks, on an iPhone 7+, that it should report the wrong
> size (that of 6) as the screenrect.
>
> 3 / 1242x2208 = 0,0,414,736 not 0,0,375,667
>
> BR
>

> On 6/18/18, 4:27 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Brian Milby via
> use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Correct... the 6/7/8 are all the same size, the plus sizes are also
> the same. X is also available as a size.
>     On Jun 18, 2018, 9:20 AM -0500, Randy Hengst via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]>, wrote:
>     >Hi BR,
>     >
>     >The iPhone 6 screen is the same size as the 7. I load a splash screen
> at 750x1134.
>     >

Re: 8.1.10 Reporting the ScreenSize of a iPhone7: 0,0,375,667

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Sorry, I meant that the 6 plus/7 plus/8 plus were all the same size (not that they were the same as the 6/7/8)
On Jun 18, 2018, 10:48 AM -0500, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> Hi Brahmanathaswami,
>
> If your device is iPhone7 Plus, then you have to put the appropriate splash
> screens in the "iPhone 6 Plus Portrait" and "iPhone 6 Plus Lscape" slots in
> the standalone iOS settings.
>
> Best,
> Panos
> --
>
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 4:25 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via
> use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I have a 750 X 1134 in the iPhone 6 "slot" But LC 8.1.10 still be reports
> > that the screenrect is 0,0,375,667
> >
> > " Correct... the 6/7/8 are all the same size, the plus sizes are also the
> > same. X is also available as a size."
> >
> > Hmmm
> >
> > https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-
> > guidelines/ios/icons-and-images/launch-screen/
> >
> > Says otherwise
> >
> > What you need, for iPhone 7+, is the same as 6 Plus but not the same as
> > 6.
> >
> > Now I think we have a bug: if you have the 1242 X 2208 loaded in the 6
> > Plus slot, but LC thinks, on an iPhone 7+, that it should report the wrong
> > size (that of 6) as the screenrect.
> >
> > 3 / 1242x2208 = 0,0,414,736 not 0,0,375,667
> >
> > BR
> >

> > On 6/18/18, 4:27 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Brian Milby via
> > use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Correct... the 6/7/8 are all the same size, the plus sizes are also
> > the same. X is also available as a size.
> > On Jun 18, 2018, 9:20 AM -0500, Randy Hengst via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]>, wrote:
> > > Hi BR,
> > >
> > > The iPhone 6 screen is the same size as the 7. I load a splash screen
> > at 750x1134.

Re: 8.1.10 Reporting the ScreenSize of a iPhone7: 0,0,375,667

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Aloha Panos

But if you have entered (in the SA settings)

     iPhone Initial orientation

the option to choose

      iPhone 6 plus Lscape

is not available

BR

From: panagiotis merakos <[hidden email]>
Date: Monday, June 18, 2018 at 5:48 AM
To: How LiveCode <[hidden email]>
Cc: Brahma Nathaswami <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: 8.1.10 Reporting the ScreenSize of a iPhone7: 0,0,375,667

    On Jun 18, 2018, 9:20 AM -0500, Randy Hengst via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>, wrote:
    >Hi BR,
    >
    >The iPhone 6 screen is the same size as the 7. I load a splash screen at 750x1134.

RE: 8.1.10 Reporting the ScreenSize of a iPhone7: 0,0,375,667

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
BR,

"iPhone Initial orientation" applies only to phones that support landscape
splash images. At this point it's only the iPhone6 Plus and the iPhone X.
All other iPhones will start in portrait. IPads start in the orientation the
device is in when the app is launched.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

From: panagiotis merakos <[hidden email]>
Date: Monday, June 18, 2018 at 5:48 AM
To: How LiveCode <[hidden email]>
Cc: Brahma Nathaswami <[hidden email]>

[...]

rev.com> on behalf of

wrote:
    >Hi BR,
    >
    >The iPhone 6 screen is the same size as the 7. I load a splash screen
at 750x1134.

Re: 8.1.10 Reporting the ScreenSize of a iPhone7: 0,0,375,667

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Right, we know that, or so I thought...

but Panos said, "mysteriously"

"If your device is iPhone7 Plus, then you have to put the appropriate splash screens in the "iPhone 6 Plus Portrait" and "iPhone 6 Plus Lscape" slots in the standalone iOS settings."

I deem this a bug, continue to comment here or at:

https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=21369

BR

Whose goal was to do a simple responsive design, my code for that is "ground zero, never coded this aspect of LC in 25 years"   and get to working on iOS and then submit for testing while the team it working on Android orientation "bugs" to test with before 9.1beta1 comes out.

I did not get even to first base!  If you have time, want to some fun, have at it

Go stack url "http://wiki.hindu.org/uploads/BrowserLandscapeTest.livecode"

The goal: get in a working first in iOS and turn into test in Android.

Remember: any screen size of any device, the group "Footer" and you remain the same size, just be centered at bottom the screen. The browser widget should be "dynamically" re-sized.

Re: 8.1.10 Reporting the ScreenSize of a iPhone7: 0,0,375,667

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
I tried it on Android, and it doesn't look like resizeStack is being
sent at all, and sending a command "in time" inside an
orientationChanged handler doesn't trigger either. Until that's fixed
there's not much we can do.

There may be something else going on, but my Mac refuses to enable
remote debugging (again) so I can't trace the scripts. So far, only one
version of LC (somewhere in the 8.x releases) would do it. All other
versions never ask me if I want to debug remotely. I've added LC to the
"allow" list in the firewall but it doesn't help.

Monte, is there a way to force remote debugging?

On 6/18/18 9:32 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:

> Whose goal was to do a simple responsive design, my code for that is "ground zero, never coded this aspect of LC in 25 years"   and get to working on iOS and then submit for testing while the team it working on Android orientation "bugs" to test with before 9.1beta1 comes out.
>
> I did not get even to first base!  If you have time, want to some fun, have at it
>
> Go stack url "http://wiki.hindu.org/uploads/BrowserLandscapeTest.livecode"
>
> The goal: get in a working first in iOS and turn into test in Android.
>
> Remember: any screen size of any device, the group "Footer" and you remain the same size, just be centered at bottom the screen. The browser widget should be "dynamically" re-sized.

RE: 8.1.10 Reporting the ScreenSize of a iPhone7: 0,0,375,667

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
I always get the resizestack message on Android. For me it's when I do a
"wait x ticks with messages" in a resize stack hander on iOS. The handler
finishes but the engine is unresponsive to any messages after that.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

I tried it on Android, and it doesn't look like resizeStack is being sent at
all, and sending a command "in time" inside an orientationChanged handler
doesn't trigger either. Until that's fixed there's not much we can do.

There may be something else going on, but my Mac refuses to enable remote
debugging (again) so I can't trace the scripts. So far, only one version of
LC (somewhere in the 8.x releases) would do it. All other versions never ask
me if I want to debug remotely. I've added LC to the "allow" list in the
firewall but it doesn't help.

Monte, is there a way to force remote debugging?

On 6/18/18 9:32 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:
> Whose goal was to do a simple responsive design, my code for that is
"ground zero, never coded this aspect of LC in 25 years"   and get to
working on iOS and then submit for testing while the team it working on
Android orientation "bugs" to test with before 9.1beta1 comes out.

> I did not get even to first base!  If you have time, want to some fun,
> have at it
>
> Go stack url "http://wiki.hindu.org/uploads/BrowserLandscapeTest.livecode"
>
> The goal: get in a working first in iOS and turn into test in Android.
>
> Remember: any screen size of any device, the group "Footer" and you remain
the same size, just be centered at bottom the screen. The browser widget
should be "dynamically" re-sized.

Re: 8.1.10 Reporting the ScreenSize of a iPhone7: 0,0,375,667

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
This is what I have:

on resizeStack x,y
   ANSWER X &COMMA& Y
   setupUI x,y
end resizeStack

The answer dialog appeared once on my first test (with no x,y values)
and all test builds after that never showed an answer dialog at all. The
setupUI handler also has an answer dialog for testing and I haven't seen
it even once.

LC 9.0, Mac 10.13.4, Google Pixel.

On 6/19/18 3:54 PM, Ralph DiMola wrote:

> I always get the resizestack message on Android. For me it's when I do a
> "wait x ticks with messages" in a resize stack hander on iOS. The handler
> finishes but the engine is unresponsive to any messages after that.
>
> Ralph DiMola
> IT Director
> Evergreen Information Services
> [hidden email]

1) have had the 1242 X 2208 loaded in the Phone 6 Plus "slot" from the beginning of this tread!
2) In now suspect Xcode mis-configuration (I keep going on 9.2. to 9.3 and set the Xcode select from terminal_
3) With Elanor help just needed to add

mobileSetAllowedOrientations "portrait,portrait upside down,landscape left,landscape right"

and

case "landscape right"
         send "landscapeUI" to me in 0 milliseconds
         break

to my switch and she says it is working!

Can you please (if you have iPhone 7 Plus that is be best)  try on your iPhone

Go stack url "wiki.hindu.org/uploads/BrowserLandscapeTest_r2.livecode"

We been good if I hear "confirmed, worked on my iPhone XX" from several people... if so,  we have a test stack to give engineering to test on Android.

The footer nav should show on portrait, disappear on when you turn phone side ways. Then appear again what you go portait.  And you should in the reported (answer) the correct rect of the screen and *any* iPhone size.

Any we do not need resize handler!

@jacqueline there is no " setupUI"  handler

I think you meant PortratUI handler

Try it now android:  the " orientationChanged" was not happening because I did not put in mobileSetAllowedOrientations.

But now the "rect" on android it off, it does show the footer/nav .. I think is visible, but off screen.

Now, solving my Xcode confirguration, is a different problem.

BR

On 6/19/18, 11:40 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    This is what I have:

    on resizeStack x,y
       ANSWER X &COMMA& Y
       setupUI x,y
    end resizeStack

    The answer dialog appeared once on my first test (with no x,y values)
    and all test builds after that never showed an answer dialog at all. The
    setupUI handler also has an answer dialog for testing and I haven't seen
    it even once.

Re: 8.1.10 Reporting the ScreenSize of a iPhone7: 0,0,375,667

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
The setupUI handler was my own, I wrote a whole new script for testing.
That's how I found that resizestack wasn't being sent. I'd already added
the orientation handling and rotation was working, but the setup handler
never triggered.
--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On June 21, 2018 10:11:31 AM Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1) have had the 1242 X 2208 loaded in the Phone 6 Plus "slot" from the
> beginning of this tread!
> 2) In now suspect Xcode mis-configuration (I keep going on 9.2. to 9.3 and
> set the Xcode select from terminal_
> 3) With Elanor help just needed to add
>
> mobileSetAllowedOrientations "portrait,portrait upside down,landscape
> left,landscape right"
>
> and
>
> case "landscape right"
>         send "landscapeUI" to me in 0 milliseconds
>         break
>
> to my switch and she says it is working!
>
> Can you please (if you have iPhone 7 Plus that is be best)  try on your iPhone
>
> Go stack url "wiki.hindu.org/uploads/BrowserLandscapeTest_r2.livecode"
>
> We been good if I hear "confirmed, worked on my iPhone XX" from several
> people... if so,  we have a test stack to give engineering to test on Android.
>
> The footer nav should show on portrait, disappear on when you turn phone
> side ways. Then appear again what you go portait.  And you should in the
> reported (answer) the correct rect of the screen and *any* iPhone size.
>
> Any we do not need resize handler!
>
> @jacqueline there is no " setupUI"  handler
>
> I think you meant PortratUI handler
>
> Try it now android:  the " orientationChanged" was not happening because I
> did not put in mobileSetAllowedOrientations.
>
> But now the "rect" on android it off, it does show the footer/nav .. I
> think is visible, but off screen.
>
> Now, solving my Xcode confirguration, is a different problem.
>
> BR
>

> ?On 6/19/18, 11:40 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of J. Landman Gay via
> use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>    This is what I have:
>
>    on resizeStack x,y
>       ANSWER X &COMMA& Y
>       setupUI x,y
>    end resizeStack
>
>    The answer dialog appeared once on my first test (with no x,y values)
>    and all test builds after that never showed an answer dialog at all. The
>    setupUI handler also has an answer dialog for testing and I haven't seen
>    it even once.

8.1.10 Reporting the ScreenSize of a iPhone7: 0,0,375,667

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Never mind.. I had to run (since I did a fresh install of Xcode)

sudo xcode-select -s  /Applications/Xcode.app

But now my Simulator works!  So we back the screenRect problem

Wow... one step close to the gremlin (hehe)

And, as Panos says it has nothing to do with 11.4 ... its deeper that than

1) set the fullScreenMode of this stack to "showAll"
        -- Simulator I get a screenrect of 0,0,414,736
        -- Build test/target to actually phone 7 plus ...
                        answer screenRect returns 0,0,375,667

2) With exactFit
        -- Simulator I get a screenrect of 0,0,1242,2208
        -- but on the actual phone it get
            0,0,1125,2001...which is a factor 3x(0,0,375,667)

So the difference is  (obviously):

Scotland does not have an iPhone 7Plus, they were using a Simulator
But here, using the actual device, it report a screenrect different then the actual device.

Hmmm. Is it  LiveCode problem, or an Apple/Xcode problem?

Perhaps it should file a bug... How many other devices are not registering their actual screenRect? Can be a "disaster" for attempts at  responsive design.

BR

On 6/22/18, 3:38 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    That would go good news. But

    LC 8.1.10
    Xcode 9.3
    Build for iPod,IPhone,iPad.  8.0 or later

    (can you make the error dialog box so we can copy it to the clipboard?)

Re: 8.1.10 Reporting the ScreenSize of a iPhone7: 0,0,375,667

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Interesting. I have an 8 plus and will test on Monday.

If you use GM logic, actual pixel size reported should not pose a large problem. GM stores positions either fixed pixels from edge/object or percentage of total H or W from edge/object. If numbers are varying like that, percentage would solve the observed differences.

I will say that I have not done much at all in the sim, mainly just test on my phone. But I don’t have many devices and can’t test the other sizes yet.
On Jun 22, 2018, 9:24 PM -0500, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> Never mind.. I had to run (since I did a fresh install of Xcode)
>
> sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode.app
>
> But now my Simulator works! So we back the screenRect problem
>
> Wow... one step close to the gremlin (hehe)
>
> And, as Panos says it has nothing to do with 11.4 ... its deeper that than
>
> 1) set the fullScreenMode of this stack to "showAll"
> -- Simulator I get a screenrect of 0,0,414,736
> -- Build test/target to actually phone 7 plus ...
> answer screenRect returns 0,0,375,667
>
> 2) With exactFit
> -- Simulator I get a screenrect of 0,0,1242,2208
> -- but on the actual phone it get
> 0,0,1125,2001...which is a factor 3x(0,0,375,667)
>
> So the difference is (obviously):
>
> Scotland does not have an iPhone 7Plus, they were using a Simulator
> But here, using the actual device, it report a screenrect different then the actual device.
>
> Hmmm. Is it LiveCode problem, or an Apple/Xcode problem?
>
> Perhaps it should file a bug... How many other devices are not registering their actual screenRect? Can be a "disaster" for attempts at responsive design.
>
> BR
>

> On 6/22/18, 3:38 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> That would go good news. But
>
> LC 8.1.10
> Xcode 9.3
> Build for iPod,IPhone,iPad. 8.0 or later
>
> (can you make the error dialog box so we can copy it to the clipboard?)

Re: 8.1.10 Reporting the ScreenSize of a iPhone7: 0,0,375,667

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Do you get the same results if you get the rect of the card?

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On June 22, 2018 9:25:43 PM Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Never mind.. I had to run (since I did a fresh install of Xcode)
>
> sudo xcode-select -s  /Applications/Xcode.app
>
> But now my Simulator works!  So we back the screenRect problem
>
> Wow... one step close to the gremlin (hehe)
>
> And, as Panos says it has nothing to do with 11.4 ... its deeper that than
>
> 1) set the fullScreenMode of this stack to "showAll"
>        -- Simulator I get a screenrect of 0,0,414,736
> -- Build test/target to actually phone 7 plus ...
> answer screenRect returns 0,0,375,667
>
> 2) With exactFit
> -- Simulator I get a screenrect of 0,0,1242,2208
> -- but on the actual phone it get
>            0,0,1125,2001...which is a factor 3x(0,0,375,667)
>
> So the difference is  (obviously):
>
> Scotland does not have an iPhone 7Plus, they were using a Simulator
> But here, using the actual device, it report a screenrect different then
> the actual device.
>
> Hmmm. Is it  LiveCode problem, or an Apple/Xcode problem?
>
> Perhaps it should file a bug... How many other devices are not registering
> their actual screenRect? Can be a "disaster" for attempts at  responsive
> design.
>
> BR
>

> ?On 6/22/18, 3:38 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami
> via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>    That would go good news. But
>
>    LC 8.1.10
>    Xcode 9.3
>    Build for iPod,IPhone,iPad.  8.0 or later
>
>    (can you make the error dialog box so we can copy it to the clipboard?)

Re: 8.1.10 Reporting the ScreenSize of a iPhone7: 0,0,375,667

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Hi Brahmanathaswami,

I think I have found the culprit. I don’t have a Plus device to check, but
the differences you see between the iPhone 7 Plus device and simulator is
probably because you have enabled the "Zoomed Mode" in the device.

If you have "Zoomed Mode" enabled in the iPhone 6+/7+/8+ device, it reports
the screenrect of iPhone 6/7/8 (this is how Zoomed Mode works)

1. Launch the iOS Settings app.
2. Scroll down and select Display & Brightness.
3. Select the View option under the Display Zoom section.
4. If you have "Zoomed mode", change this to "Standard mode".
5. Test again and you should now see the expected screenrect (0,0,414,736)

Does that fix the problem?

Best,
Panos

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 4:36 AM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you get the same results if you get the rect of the card?
>
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
> On June 22, 2018 9:25:43 PM Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Never mind.. I had to run (since I did a fresh install of Xcode)
>>
>> sudo xcode-select -s  /Applications/Xcode.app
>>
>> But now my Simulator works!  So we back the screenRect problem
>>
>> Wow... one step close to the gremlin (hehe)
>>
>> And, as Panos says it has nothing to do with 11.4 ... its deeper that than
>>
>> 1) set the fullScreenMode of this stack to "showAll"
>>        -- Simulator I get a screenrect of 0,0,414,736
>> -- Build test/target to actually phone 7 plus ...
>>         answer screenRect returns 0,0,375,667
>>
>> 2) With exactFit
>> -- Simulator I get a screenrect of 0,0,1242,2208
>> -- but on the actual phone it get
>>            0,0,1125,2001...which is a factor 3x(0,0,375,667)
>>
>> So the difference is  (obviously):
>>
>> Scotland does not have an iPhone 7Plus, they were using a Simulator
>> But here, using the actual device, it report a screenrect different then
>> the actual device.
>>
>> Hmmm. Is it  LiveCode problem, or an Apple/Xcode problem?
>>
>> Perhaps it should file a bug... How many other devices are not
>> registering their actual screenRect? Can be a "disaster" for attempts at
>> responsive design.
>>
>> BR
>>

>> ?On 6/22/18, 3:38 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Sannyasin
>> Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode" <[hidden email]
>> on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>    That would go good news. But
>>
>>    LC 8.1.10
>>    Xcode 9.3
>>    Build for iPod,IPhone,iPad.  8.0 or later
>>
>>    (can you make the error dialog box so we can copy it to the clipboard?)

Re: 8.1.10 Reporting the ScreenSize of a iPhone7: 0,0,375,667

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Geesh! (He bangs his head on the desk...ha!)  that fixed it!

I don't when I turn on Zoom mode... possibly last year! And it has been carrying that setting forward through all updates. It actually does a "reset" on the phone to change to "standard mode"

I suppose it good that you found this, finally.

But does it not lead to an "enhancement" request?

Something like:

=====
On iOS, if the use has the mode set as  "Zoomed Mode" then return the screenRect at the "zoom mode" size.
=====

??

Otherwise we cannot build a "responsive" interface.

But, my goal is met. I will turn the stack in as a test  for Android to try to get in working the say way before you send out 9.1

Somehow I scripted this, first time ever in less than 100 lines without using a single resize handler or messing with the GM?  Thanks to

mobileSetFullScreenRectForOrientations "portrait,portrait upside down",sPortraitRect
mobileSetFullScreenRectForOrientations "landscape left,landscape right",sLandscapeRect

and, if in work on Android, I deprecate nearly 1400 lines for code that is "impenetrable" for the human mind (created by someone who DID get it to work on Android, only God knows how...)

I wonder it you were to use resize handler, could you do with even less code? OR would the resize handler report the actual Zoomed In rect?   Have to test

Current iteration is here "

Go url stack "http://wiki.hindu.org/uploads/BrowserLandscapeTest_r3.livecode"

BR

On 6/22/18, 11:44 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of panagiotis merakos via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

OK there are lot issues at the QA center relating to landscape

I added the test stack to

https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=19465

so that you can test on the latest build (await release, 9.1)

I don't want to have 9.1 come out only to find it does not work.