Re: ANN] Translating your Rev stacks into web apps

Re: ANN] Translating your Rev stacks into web apps

jim hurley

> Message: 29
> Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 23:38:02 -0500
> From: Jerry Daniels <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [ANN] Translating your Rev stacks into web apps
> To: How to Use Revolution <[hidden email]>
>
> Fellow Rev developers,
>
> If you're like me, you have lots of stacks you've built over the
> years. Maybe you've wondered how they'd translate into standard web
> elements that could run on an iPad or desktop Chrome browser. We now
> have a tool for Revolution developers that will do this.
>
> Rodeo Transfer lets you translate and transfer Rev UI elements to
> the web so that they're viewable on any webkit-compliant browser
> like Safari or Chrome. Transfer is fast and slick.
>
> All those who are part of the Rodeo pre-release program will get
> Rodeo Transfer as part of their license. Any one else can download
> it from our site and watch it translate Rev objects. You do need a
> Rodeo account to see the translated objects on the web, however.
>
> What can it transfer?
>
> With today's release of Rodeo v1.3, Transfer can translate stacks,
> cards, buttons, fields, option menus, check boxes, radio buttons,
> images, and best of all, data grids--into good looking standard web
> elements. Graphic objects are next.

(Snip)

Thanks Jerry and Sarah. This  looks very interesting.

It would be helpful to me if you would contrast and compare Rodeo's
web apps with Revolutions  current revlets. What are its limitations
and advantages vis-a-vis Rev?

My questions are VERY basic. Does Rodeo require a plug-in? Does it
translate Rev Talk into HTML or some variant thereof? (If this is a
viable option, why didn't RunRev go that route?) When you speak of
tables, are these Data Grids and/or the plain vanilla table fields--or
both?

I'm sure that whatever you and Sarah are cooking up for us will be
exciting.

Best regards,

Jim Hurley

Re: ANN] Translating your Rev stacks into web apps

Andrew Kluthe
All of this and more @ http://rodeoapps.com/what-is-rodeo

Re: ANN] Translating your Rev stacks into web apps

Jerry Daniels-2
Hey, Jim!

Rodeo development and deployment requires no plugin of any sort now or in the future.

Rodeo Transfer at the moment translates Rev UI objects into HTML/CSS. Rodeo web apps are HTML/CSS/Javascript.

Rodeo tables are not plain text fields. The look and behave very much like Rev datagrids. They are single elements, however, not a group of elements. They are HTML tables.

A Rodeo table is also linked to a data source which can be an index to records. The industrial use of a Rodeo table is to show a record when you click on a line in the table. Data linking, etc, in Rodeo is very implicit for the developer. We've just begin the data-linking part of this process.

Hope that helps. Lots of info on our site.

Best,

Jerry Daniels

Follow the Rodeo discussion:
http://rodeoapps.com/rodeo-discuss-among-yourselves

On Jul 12, 2010, at 10:05 AM, James Hurley wrote:

> (Snip)
>
> Thanks Jerry and Sarah. This  looks very interesting.
>
> It would be helpful to me if you would contrast and compare Rodeo's web apps with Revolutions  current revlets. What are its limitations and advantages vis-a-vis Rev?
>
> My questions are VERY basic. Does Rodeo require a plug-in? Does it translate Rev Talk into HTML or some variant thereof? (If this is a viable option, why didn't RunRev go that route?) When you speak of tables, are these Data Grids and/or the plain vanilla table fields--or both?
>
> I'm sure that whatever you and Sarah are cooking up for us will be exciting.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jim Hurley

Re: ANN] Translating your Rev stacks into web apps

David Bovill-5
How about a little something to say how Rodeo is different in terms of
features or aims and objectives from let's say
PhoneGap<http://www.phonegap.com/>or for that matter
TileStack <http://tilestack.com/> ?

On 12 July 2010 16:53, Jerry Daniels <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey, Jim!
>
> Rodeo development and deployment requires no plugin of any sort now or in
> the future.
>
> Rodeo Transfer at the moment translates Rev UI objects into HTML/CSS. Rodeo
> web apps are HTML/CSS/Javascript.
>
> Rodeo tables are not plain text fields. The look and behave very much like
> Rev datagrids. They are single elements, however, not a group of elements.
> They are HTML tables.
>
> A Rodeo table is also linked to a data source which can be an index to
> records. The industrial use of a Rodeo table is to show a record when you
> click on a line in the table. Data linking, etc, in Rodeo is very implicit
> for the developer. We've just begin the data-linking part of this process.
>
> Hope that helps. Lots of info on our site.

Re: ANN] Translating your Rev stacks into web apps

Andrew Kluthe
Wow, Jerry. Moving quite quickly on this project! Now that the available ojbect set is quite large I am going to have to follow through on my rodeo purchase.

After reading about the table objects, I assume that databases will be supported? mySQL?

Re: ANN] Translating your Rev stacks into web apps

Jerry Daniels-2
David,

I'm not really any kind of expert of the products you mention here. I've written and recorded plenty on our objectives and aims, though. It's all on our site.

Best,

Jerry Daniels

Join the Rodeo pre-release:
http://rodeoapps.com/limited-pre-release-offer

On Jul 12, 2010, at 11:24 AM, David Bovill wrote:

> How about a little something to say how Rodeo is different in terms of
> features or aims and objectives from let's say
> PhoneGap<http://www.phonegap.com/>or for that matter
> TileStack <http://tilestack.com/> ?
>
> On 12 July 2010 16:53, Jerry Daniels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hey, Jim!
>>
>> Rodeo development and deployment requires no plugin of any sort now or in
>> the future.
>>
>> Rodeo Transfer at the moment translates Rev UI objects into HTML/CSS. Rodeo
>> web apps are HTML/CSS/Javascript.
>>
>> Rodeo tables are not plain text fields. The look and behave very much like
>> Rev datagrids. They are single elements, however, not a group of elements.
>> They are HTML tables.
>>
>> A Rodeo table is also linked to a data source which can be an index to
>> records. The industrial use of a Rodeo table is to show a record when you
>> click on a line in the table. Data linking, etc, in Rodeo is very implicit
>> for the developer. We've just begin the data-linking part of this process.
>>
>> Hope that helps. Lots of info on our site.

Re: ANN] Translating your Rev stacks into web apps

Jerry Daniels-2
Andrew,

It would be lovely to have you on board. Then you could come to our second developers' summit on Saturday. That's July 17 @ 3PM CDT. Our last summit was quite the event.

On Jul 12, 2010, at 11:27 AM, Andrew Kluthe wrote:

> Wow, Jerry. Moving quite quickly on this project! Now that the available
> ojbect set is quite large I am going to have to follow through on my rodeo
> purchase.
>
> After reading about the table objects, I assume that databases will be
> supported? mySQL?

Re: ANN] Translating your Rev stacks into web apps

David Bovill-5
OK - I was not thinking of anything detailed, but in principle I would think
that a good number of people on this list researching how to get into web
app development and leverage their Revolution experience would research
these two alternatives, both have been covered in discussions on this list.

In simple terms PhoneGap is an open source JavaScript framework which allows
you to create mobile phone app's using your basic (ish) knowledge of
standard web technologies. In particular you are able to create iPhone
applications<http://phonegap.pbworks.com/Getting-Started-with-PhoneGap-%28iPhone%29>by
using standard html markup calling the PhoneGap JavaScript library and
compiling these suing Xcode. The resulting mobile apps are designed to run
on iPhone / Android / Palm / Blackberry / Windows Mobile and Symbian
platforms. As it is open source there is no charge for the code, but for
iPhone development you would need to pay your $99 blood money to Apple. I've
not used it myself, but am looking at interfacing it with Revolution, by
creating a set of open source libraries that would translate between
Revolution widgets and PhoneGap code / widgets. In many ways this is similar
to the aims of Rodeo. I think it would be particularly strong if Rodeo used
or interfaced with the open source PhoneGap framework, as this may make the
eventual aims of supporting an iPhone app store submission service easier to
implement?

In contrast TileStack <http://tilestack.com/> is not so interesting I think
- it looks like a more or less complete clone of HyperCard written in
JavaScript - like Rodeo it is a hosted service, and like Rodeo i don't think
the JavaScript is an open source framework - it is not specifically designed
for mobile or webkit / HTML5 - so that is another difference.

If anyone has more detailed experience of either of these products I'd be
interested in their experience. I know that early versions of PhoneGap were
pretty limited - but it has been around for a while now.

On 12 July 2010 17:27, Jerry Daniels <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David,
>
> I'm not really any kind of expert of the products you mention here. I've
> written and recorded plenty on our objectives and aims, though. It's all on
> our site.

I've decided to take the plunge and take up the early bird offer - looks
like a great way to leverage your Revolution knowledge and get into the
world of HTML5 and JavaScript - looking forwards to the next conference on
the 17th!

Re: ANN] Translating your Rev stacks into web apps

Jim Lambert
I'm amazed how quickly Rodeo is evolving.

Andrew K. wrote:
>  Now that the available object set is quite large I am going to have to follow through on my rodeo purchase.

Jump on it!
It's good for all of us to encourage this kind of development.

Jim Lambert_______________________________________________

Re: ANN] Translating your Rev stacks into web apps

Andrew Kluthe
Alright, I jumped on the rodeo bandwagon.

Now I just have to get a MacVM (shhhh!) going tonight to develop with as I can't afford mac hardware.

I do not own an iphone or an ipad (yet), so my hopes are to develop apps for Chrome and Safari. Is the experience on just a browser 1:1 with the features you can leverage on the handheld devices?

Re: ANN] Translating your Rev stacks into web apps

Jerry Daniels-2
Hey, Andrew!

The Rodeo stuff looks good on webkit browsers for desktops, too. Safari and Chrome are great.

Andrew Kluthe
One more question! I don't own RunRev for Mac. Can I make stacks in windows and transfer them from Mac?

Re: ANN] Translating your Rev stacks into web apps

Jerry Daniels-2
Rodeo Transfer is a stack. You can open it on Windows.

Best,

Jerry Daniels

Join the Rodeo discussion: