Re: Feature Race: Pick Your Project

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
So the Feature Race lets me choose between "Hosting debugger" and
Datagrid 2.

Hmpphhh!

<puts on Grumpy Old Man t-shirt ...>

I have a hard time voting for, or funding, Hosting debugger. I already
paid for that, back in 2009. It was a feature described in, and mostly
present in, the first release of on-rev. It was a significant part of my
decision to buy a Founder's (lifetime) License for on-rev - I thought
(and till do think) that remote debugging for web server is a killer
feature, and pretty much a unique feature - afaik no other server
language offers the equivalent. So I would like to see it happen, and
think it wold be a good selling point feature for Livecode.

But I have a hard time paying more for it when I already did pay. Not
only that, I paid for lifetime usage of it - and now I have the chance
to fund it happening, AND then pay $99 per year to use it.

<ok - GoM t-shirt can come off again>

Alex.

On 06/24/2017 10:41 AM, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode wrote:

> I have a hard time voting for, or funding, Hosting debugger. I already
> paid for that, back in 2009. It was a feature described in, and mostly
> present in, the first release of on-rev. It was a significant part of my
> decision to buy a Founder's (lifetime) License for on-rev - I thought

Yep. It was part of the client software that never worked well, and then
never worked again. Was never open-sourced, and died on the vine. Not
likely to fall for that line again.

Re: Feature Race: Pick Your Project

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
I had similar feelings, (I have taken almost every pitch to "pay in advance for X number of years for this discount or that… ) so when we get hit up again for development that one would hope would be just part of the product road map, it does indeed seem odd. Even "advanced smooth scrolling graphics" seems odd to be funding, since all this is doing is bring the LC mobile on parity with any other smooth flowing app.

This is terribly obvious, but just to say it all again:

Thinking about it, one has to appreciate the challenge the company faces. Having gone open source, Livecode moves to a world where everyone and his kid sister thinks programming is free. PHP, Javascript, python, CSS…people living in those world just don't pay for their tools.

So if open source users are going up (which apparently they are)… that doesn't help us (to say the obvious)

If not enough of them are using LC to build products for sale to support themselves, OR are not using the tools in-house inside Enterprise (like we do here, even though we are non -profit we do have software budgets) where budgets are such that the ROI on paid license(s) is well worth it. And it would be easy enough for some unscrupulous for-profit company to have 5 coders on community and only one license and pretty much get away with it…(which is cheating of course)…

So  If the user "pie" of those whose are paying  <> equal $ to support the company and + hours for features, how does LC handle this, to stay alive?   And we all want it to stay alive…right?

I was hoping to talk to Kevin about some other ideas for solutions… but he is busy. Perhaps I need to fly to Scotland for tea. In the meantime, I voted/pledged for the DataGrid2/GraphicsUpgrade.

Brahmanathaswamai

On 6/24/17, 7:41 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Alex Tweedly via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    So the Feature Race lets me choose between "Hosting debugger" and
    Datagrid 2.

    Hmpphhh!

    <puts on Grumpy Old Man t-shirt ...>

    I have a hard time voting for, or funding, Hosting debugger. I already
    paid for that, back in 2009.

Re: Feature Race: Pick Your Project

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Wow.  I'm surprised we aren't closer to getting this funded.  c'mon y'all
let's get this funded!

On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 5:53 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via
use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I had similar feelings, (I have taken almost every pitch to "pay in
> advance for X number of years for this discount or that… ) so when we get
> hit up again for development that one would hope would be just part of the
> product road map, it does indeed seem odd. Even "advanced smooth scrolling
> graphics" seems odd to be funding, since all this is doing is bring the LC
> mobile on parity with any other smooth flowing app.
>
> This is terribly obvious, but just to say it all again:
>
> Thinking about it, one has to appreciate the challenge the company faces.
> Having gone open source, Livecode moves to a world where everyone and his
> kid sister thinks programming is free. PHP, Javascript, python, CSS…people
> living in those world just don't pay for their tools.
>
> So if open source users are going up (which apparently they are)… that
> doesn't help us (to say the obvious)
>
> If not enough of them are using LC to build products for sale to support
> themselves, OR are not using the tools in-house inside Enterprise (like we
> do here, even though we are non -profit we do have software budgets) where
> budgets are such that the ROI on paid license(s) is well worth it. And it
> would be easy enough for some unscrupulous for-profit company to have 5
> coders on community and only one license and pretty much get away with
> it…(which is cheating of course)…
>
> So  If the user "pie" of those whose are paying  <> equal $ to support the
> company and + hours for features, how does LC handle this, to stay alive?
>  And we all want it to stay alive…right?
>
> I was hoping to talk to Kevin about some other ideas for solutions… but he
> is busy. Perhaps I need to fly to Scotland for tea. In the meantime, I
> voted/pledged for the DataGrid2/GraphicsUpgrade.
>
> Brahmanathaswamai
>

> On 6/24/17, 7:41 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Alex Tweedly via
> use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     So the Feature Race lets me choose between "Hosting debugger" and
>     Datagrid 2.
>
>     Hmpphhh!
>
>     <puts on Grumpy Old Man t-shirt ...>
>
>     I have a hard time voting for, or funding, Hosting debugger. I already
>     paid for that, back in 2009.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Feature Race: Pick Your Project

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
The comments section on the pledge page gives a good insight as to why
there may be a feeling of apathy towards this fundraiser

The infinite livecode campaign from last year was not handled well in terms
of communicating progress to the community, with questions about the sqlite
library rewrite remaining unanswered

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 3:51 PM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wow.  I'm surprised we aren't closer to getting this funded.  c'mon y'all
> let's get this funded!
>
> On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 5:53 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via
> use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I had similar feelings, (I have taken almost every pitch to "pay in
> > advance for X number of years for this discount or that… ) so when we get
> > hit up again for development that one would hope would be just part of
> the
> > product road map, it does indeed seem odd. Even "advanced smooth
> scrolling
> > graphics" seems odd to be funding, since all this is doing is bring the
> LC
> > mobile on parity with any other smooth flowing app.
> >
> > This is terribly obvious, but just to say it all again:
> >
> > Thinking about it, one has to appreciate the challenge the company faces.
> > Having gone open source, Livecode moves to a world where everyone and his
> > kid sister thinks programming is free. PHP, Javascript, python,
> CSS…people
> > living in those world just don't pay for their tools.
> >
> > So if open source users are going up (which apparently they are)… that
> > doesn't help us (to say the obvious)
> >
> > If not enough of them are using LC to build products for sale to support
> > themselves, OR are not using the tools in-house inside Enterprise (like
> we
> > do here, even though we are non -profit we do have software budgets)
> where
> > budgets are such that the ROI on paid license(s) is well worth it. And it
> > would be easy enough for some unscrupulous for-profit company to have 5
> > coders on community and only one license and pretty much get away with
> > it…(which is cheating of course)…
> >
> > So  If the user "pie" of those whose are paying  <> equal $ to support
> the
> > company and + hours for features, how does LC handle this, to stay alive?
> >  And we all want it to stay alive…right?
> >
> > I was hoping to talk to Kevin about some other ideas for solutions… but
> he
> > is busy. Perhaps I need to fly to Scotland for tea. In the meantime, I
> > voted/pledged for the DataGrid2/GraphicsUpgrade.
> >
> > Brahmanathaswamai
> >

> > On 6/24/17, 7:41 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Alex Tweedly via
> > use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >     So the Feature Race lets me choose between "Hosting debugger" and
> >     Datagrid 2.
> >
> >     Hmpphhh!
> >
> >     <puts on Grumpy Old Man t-shirt ...>
> >
> >     I have a hard time voting for, or funding, Hosting debugger. I
> already
> >     paid for that, back in 2009.

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: Feature Race: Pick Your Project

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
I¹m not sure if its apathy or more likely just the holiday weekend. That
said...

I¹m sorry its taken so long to do Infinite LiveCode. As I¹ve said in my
keynote, in the comments section and on the blog, we wouldn¹t be funding a
new project if it that one wasn¹t in the last stages of being wrapped up.
Android has been mostly delivered and the other platforms and stretch
goals are a small piece now. We really have finally cracked this project,
getting it into a build is the last step.

The reality is that we now need to look at what we are doing next and what
is affordable. If we don¹t fund this project, the knock on effects for the
platform will be very significant. We¹re already a very small team that
punches well above our weight. We have the potential for a very bright
future with the rather amazing stuff that you can now do. Check out Ali¹s
blog post on Android and wait a few more days for more. We can build on
everything we¹ve just created and maintain the considerable momentum we
have built or we can shrink.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller ~ [hidden email] ~ http://www.livecode.com/
LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

On 05/07/2017, 18:24, "use-livecode on behalf of Dan Brown via
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>but
>> he
>> > is busy. Perhaps I need to fly to Scotland for tea. In the meantime, I
>> > voted/pledged for the DataGrid2/GraphicsUpgrade.
>> >
>> > Brahmanathaswamai
>> >

>> > On 6/24/17, 7:41 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Alex Tweedly via
>> > use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
>> > [hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> >     So the Feature Race lets me choose between "Hosting debugger" and
>> >     Datagrid 2.
>> >
>> >     Hmpphhh!
>> >
>> >     <puts on Grumpy Old Man t-shirt ...>
>> >
>> >     I have a hard time voting for, or funding, Hosting debugger. I
>> already
>> >     paid for that, back in 2009.

>> On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
>> On the second day, God created the oceans.
>> On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,

Delays happen, my take from the comments is that the communication on
progress was lacking more than anything. People like to fund ideas and
there should be a journey to completion attached to the pledge experience.
Even if it's just  footnotes in blog posts and mailers here and there.
Little and often.

Anyhow is there no possibility of extending the campaigns deadline? An
extra week or two coupled with the new infinite livecode updates would
really increase the chances of the goal being met

On 5 Jul 2017 7:04 pm, "Kevin Miller via use-livecode" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> the
> >> scrolling
> >>the
> >> LC

> >>faces.
> >>his
> >> CSSŠpeople

> >>support
> >>(like
> >> we
> >> where
> >>And it
> >>5

> >> the
> >>alive?

> >>but
> >> he

> >> already

> >> --
> >> On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
> >> On the second day, God created the oceans.
> >> On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,

Another reason may be the subject title. I'm not sure everyone
understands that this feature will improve much more than just
datagrids. A subset of users employ datagrids, but everyone needs smooth
scrolling in a variety of situations. That's the primary reason I
pledged -- I'm not too interested in datagrid performance but the
inability to properly scroll fields within groups is big hurdle in
almost every project I do.

I hope more people jump in because I, for one, really need this feature.
The sooner the better.

On 7/5/17 1:04 PM, Kevin Miller via use-livecode wrote:

> I¹m not sure if its apathy or more likely just the holiday weekend. That
> said...
>
> I¹m sorry its taken so long to do Infinite LiveCode. As I¹ve said in my
> keynote, in the comments section and on the blog, we wouldn¹t be funding a
> new project if it that one wasn¹t in the last stages of being wrapped up.
> Android has been mostly delivered and the other platforms and stretch
> goals are a small piece now. We really have finally cracked this project,
> getting it into a build is the last step.
>
> The reality is that we now need to look at what we are doing next and what
> is affordable. If we don¹t fund this project, the knock on effects for the
> platform will be very significant. We¹re already a very small team that
> punches well above our weight. We have the potential for a very bright
> future with the rather amazing stuff that you can now do. Check out Ali¹s
> blog post on Android and wait a few more days for more. We can build on
> everything we¹ve just created and maintain the considerable momentum we
> have built or we can shrink.
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Kevin
>
> Kevin Miller ~ [hidden email] ~ http://www.livecode.com/
> LiveCode: Everyone can create apps
>

> On 05/07/2017, 18:24, "use-livecode on behalf of Dan Brown via
> use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The comments section on the pledge page gives a good insight as to why
>> there may be a feeling of apathy towards this fundraiser

Re: Feature Race: Pick Your Project

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
I'm already in.

Bob S

> On Jul 5, 2017, at 12:44 , J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Another reason may be the subject title. I'm not sure everyone understands that this feature will improve much more than just datagrids. A subset of users employ datagrids, but everyone needs smooth scrolling in a variety of situations. That's the primary reason I pledged -- I'm not too interested in datagrid performance but the inability to properly scroll fields within groups is big hurdle in almost every project I do.
>
> I hope more people jump in because I, for one, really need this feature. The sooner the better.

Re: Feature Race: Pick Your Project

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
> Kevin M. wrote:
> I¹m not sure if its apathy or more likely just the holiday weekend ...
> ... Android has been mostly delivered and the other platforms and stretch
> goals are a small piece now. We really have finally cracked this project,
> getting it into a build is the last step ...
> ... If we don¹t fund this project, the knock on effects for the platform
> will be very significant ...

This sounds rather hard in my ears.

In the last two years I pledged, without selling anything, a lot on base of
announcements only, like many other users.

Now a lot of people would like to see results. Not the announcement of results,
but the results itself. Based on good results you will easier and much faster
get more funds, not only for "datagrids". People are willing to support LiveCode.

To close the gap after showing the results there is certainly still a main part
of the HTML5 fund available.

Re: Feature Race: Pick Your Project

BNig
> On Jul 5, 2017, at 12:44 , J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A subset of users employ datagrids, but everyone needs smooth scrolling in a variety of situations. That's the primary reason I pledged --
That's exactly the reason why I pledged too. I have the feeling that this is not appreciated enough.

Lets get smooth scrolling and DataGrid2 on top of it.

I just calculated how much money I spend on useless things the last 4 weeks and boy, that is quite some Euros. They are convertible to Dollars nowadays and then to British Pounds also...

Kind regards
Bernd

Re: Feature Race: Pick Your Project

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
I have to agree with Dan here. The project delays are not really the issue. Sure we want things on time but we all understand that is rare.
What I haven't been able to understand is the really bad communication concerning this. I am really happy the android stuff is effectively done. Really I am. But that tells me zip about the obj C stuff and even less (if that's possible) about the actual goals such as the SQLite widget and tutorial.

It was great the Kevin chipped in a little info but also quite worrying. He said:
> The reality is that we now need to look at what we are doing next and what
> is affordable. If we don?t fund this project, the knock on effects for the
> platform will be very significant. We?re already a very small team that
> punches well above our weight.

What!!!

Am I missing something here?
Is LC9 a side project that is funded in the shadows of other funded projects?
Is Kevin saying we need you guys to fund this to keep us going?
Why are the knock on effects of an OPTIONAL project not significant but VERY significant?

I have to stop now less my imagination runs riot over the possible "very significant" effect of this project not being funded.

James

Re: Feature Race: Pick Your Project

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Reading the description once again, this should be titled:

*** Faster Graphics in LiveCode (especially DataGrid 2) ***

That is: Everybody who uses the Graphical user interface will profit if that
work is done.

Sadly: I don't think the goal will be reached in 10 hours from 51% to 100%.
117 backers only (!) at the moment, 100 more backers with the average pledge
are needed.

p.s. To avoid any misunderstanding: I pledged once again more than the average.
But I still think after having the results of Infinite LiveCode such a sum would
be funded in one day.

Re: Feature Race: Pick Your Project

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
On 5 July 2017 at 19:04, Kevin Miller via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> The reality is that we now need to look at what we are doing next and what
> is affordable. If we don¹t fund this project, the knock on effects for the
> platform will be very significant. We¹re already a very small team that
> punches well above our weight. We have the potential for a very bright
> future with the rather amazing stuff that you can now do. Check out Ali¹s
> blog post on Android and wait a few more days for more.

This is encouraging, Thanks, Kevin.
The real issue has definitely been the extremely low level of communication
regarding the project that would have appeased us a great deal, especially
when various walls were met that led to its delay, perceived or otherwise.
But it seems you and the team are learning from this. I agree with HH's
last comment, *"*I still think after having the results of Infinite
LiveCode such a sum would *be funded in one day.", *so maybe, redo the
campaign once Infinite is fully released. I was 'promised' obj-c by this
time last year! Tip: Don't make promises like that *ever* again! :)

Sean Cole
*Pi Digital Productions Ltd*

PS. I wasn't aware of this either:
J.L.Gay -
*Another reason may be the subject title. I'm not sure everyone understands
that this feature will improve much more than just datagrids. A subset of
users employ datagrids, but everyone needs smooth scrolling in a variety of
situations.*

Re: Feature Race: Pick Your Project

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode

Hi everyone

I just wanted to chip in on this one. For those of you who don't know
me, I work on the marketing at LiveCode.

Our communication strategy has been on my mind for quite some time and I
hold my hands up that we have not done a good job on communicating the
progress of the Infinite LiveCode project. From when we launched our
Infinite LiveCode campaign to where the Infinite LiveCode technology is
today there were lots of opportunities to keep you up to date with the
incredible tech our team was producing that were missed.

This is something we are talking about right now and it's something we
are fixing right now. Sorry for keeping you in the dark, it won't happen
again!

Hopefully with the post Ali put out last week you can see all of the
work that has gone into Infinite LiveCode and are as excited as I am
about the opportunities this creates for our platform.

As for the Faster Graphics / DataGrid project that is funding right now,
there is a real chance of this funding. It has gone from 36% funded at
this time yesterday to 62% funded at the time of writing this post. If
this does fund, I promise that when we have something to share on that
project, no matter how big or small, we'll share it.

Steven

Steven Crighton | [hidden email] | https://livecode.com

Re: Feature Race: Pick Your Project

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
185 backers. No comment.

Re: Feature Race: Pick Your Project

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Hmm after the timer ran out the page showed  "project unsuccessful" with
only $23,428 raised. Now its showing as fully funded and successful. Happy
but erm baffled.

Slick grids here we come though!

On 6 Jul 2017 8:06 pm, "hh via use-livecode" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> 185 backers. No comment.

Re: Feature Race: Pick Your Project

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
We had a last minute call from someone offering to pledge the rest. I was entering it for him with, yes, shaky hands and I pressed the wrong button. Total went down! Not Up! My fault. We extended by 4 minutes to allow that pledge to go through.

Good? Bad? Seemed like the right thing to do.

Regards,

Heather

Heather Laine
Customer Services Manager
LiveCode Ltd
www.livecode.com

> On 6 Jul 2017, at 20:14, Dan Brown via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hmm after the timer ran out the page showed  "project unsuccessful" with
> only $23,428 raised. Now its showing as fully funded and successful. Happy
> but erm baffled.
>
> Slick grids here we come though!
>
> On 6 Jul 2017 8:06 pm, "hh via use-livecode" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> 185 backers. No comment.

Re: Feature Race: Pick Your Project

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Can't pay, get this message...
Error Detected
Error Message

The certificate has expired. Please use a valid certificate.
The certificate has expired. Please use a valid certificate.

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 1:24 PM, Heather Laine via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> We had a last minute call from someone offering to pledge the rest. I was
> entering it for him with, yes, shaky hands and I pressed the wrong button.
> Total went down! Not Up! My fault. We extended by 4 minutes to allow that
> pledge to go through.
>
> Good? Bad? Seemed like the right thing to do.
>
> Regards,
>
> Heather
>
> Heather Laine
> Customer Services Manager
> LiveCode Ltd
> www.livecode.com
>

> > On 6 Jul 2017, at 20:14, Dan Brown via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hmm after the timer ran out the page showed  "project unsuccessful" with
> > only $23,428 raised. Now its showing as fully funded and successful.
> Happy
> > but erm baffled.
> >
> > Slick grids here we come though!
> >
> > On 6 Jul 2017 8:06 pm, "hh via use-livecode" <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> 185 backers. No comment.

Re: Feature Race: Pick Your Project

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
I get « certificate has expired. please use a valid certificate »  (translated from french)
François