Re: Is there a better way of scanning this list ?

Re: Is there a better way of scanning this list ?

Roger Eller
>and I was wondering if anybody had developed a stack to read the
>list in a more intelligent manner.

Not a stack, but I have found this website keeps the list up-to-date in
(almost) real-time. I also like it because it includes threaded browsing.
You still have to do your posting and replying to the list in your email
client though.

http://www.mail-archive.com/use-revolution@.../maillist.html

Roger Eller <[hidden email]>

Re: Is there a better way of scanning this list ?

Robert J. Earp
Many thanks Roger.
It's not exactly what I was looking for but, as the actress said to the
bishop, every little bit helps ;-)

--
Robert J. Earp - Ashford Training Technologies*
*18059 21A Avenue, South Surrey, British Columbia, Canada. V3S 9V7

Re: Is there a better way of scanning this list ?

Nicolas Cueto
Mark Wieder offered:

> Well, for searching the archives online you can always use
> http://www.ahsoftware.net/ArchiveSearch.html , but for browsing it's
> hard to beat gmane.

Thank you for that stack. (Some day, I'm going to enjoy
taking it apart and see how it works :-)

Problem though!! On Win2K + Rev2.5, the ArchiveSearch
stack works fine except it doesn't display a message's
contents when you click on its subject line, i.e., a search
returns a list of matching messages and displays their
subject/date lines in the scrollable/clickable list, but when
you click on any of those subject lines all that appears
in the fields below are the subject and date but not the
contents of the message.

Cheers,
Nicolas Cueto

Re: Is there a better way of scanning this list ?

mwieder
Nicolas-

Sunday, June 12, 2005, 11:02:10 PM, you wrote:

NC> Thank you for that stack. (Some day, I'm going to enjoy
NC> taking it apart and see how it works :-)

Have fun. It relies pretty heavily on Google (and Pipermail) not
changing their page layout. There are two levels of screen scraping:
the first is mostly in the "Search" button script and the second is
mostly in the "MessageList" field script. If you come up with any
improvements to anything, they're always welcome.

NC> Problem though!! On Win2K + Rev2.5, the ArchiveSearch
NC> stack works fine except it doesn't display a message's
NC> contents when you click on its subject line, i.e., a search

Well, that makes it pretty useless...

Try it now. I was having quite a bit of trouble with RevOnline
uploading (and still am). I thought I had fixed that and put it online
but apparently it never took. Version 1.63 is up there now and I just
downloaded it three times to make sure that the right one was really
up where it should be.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Is there a better way of scanning this list ?

kat-7
Mark Wieder wrote:

>[snipped ]
>
>NC> Problem though!! On Win2K + Rev2.5, the ArchiveSearch
>NC> stack works fine except it doesn't display a message's
>NC> contents when you click on its subject line, i.e., a search
>
>Well, that makes it pretty useless...
>
>Try it now. I was having quite a bit of trouble with RevOnline
>uploading (and still am). I thought I had fixed that and put it online
>but apparently it never took. Version 1.63 is up there now and I just
>downloaded it three times to make sure that the right one was really
>up where it should be.

Mark,

I just downloaded the stack (again), and it's still version 1.62 which
does not display the message contents.  Looks like a great app, though,
and at least it's a good index even as it stands; using the date and
subject it's not that difficult to find what you're looking for in the
archives in a pinch.  Thanks for making it, and for making it available!

Cheers,
Kat

Re: Is there a better way of scanning this list ?

mwieder
Kat-

Monday, June 13, 2005, 5:26:39 PM, you wrote:

K> I just downloaded the stack (again), and it's still version 1.62 which

??? I just checked it again, downloading both from my web site and
from RevOnline, and they're both coming in at 1.63 ???

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Mark Wieder wrote:

>Kat-
>
>Monday, June 13, 2005, 5:26:39 PM, you wrote:
>
>K> I just downloaded the stack (again), and it's still version 1.62 which
>
>??? I just checked it again, downloading both from my web site and
>from RevOnline, and they're both coming in at 1.63 ???

I tried it again after rebooting (thus REALLY clearing Safari's cache
for sure). The link I'm using is the "download now" button on the left
side of http://www.ahsoftware.net/ArchiveSearch.html

By the way, in Safari it insists on opening as a txt file, but removing
the .txt extension restores it to .rev status and it runs just fine in
the /plugins folder.

I've gotten the 1.63 version from RevOnline, but I'm still puzzled by
the strange behaviour of the link in Safari.

Thanks for double-checking (again).

Kat
Katherine Cochrane
http://rugusa.linguistix.net

Mark Wieder wrote:

>Kat-
>
>Monday, June 13, 2005, 5:26:39 PM, you wrote:
>
>K> I just downloaded the stack (again), and it's still version 1.62 which
>
>??? I just checked it again, downloading both from my web site and
>from RevOnline, and they're both coming in at 1.63 ???

I think I just spotted what could be the problem with the version I got
from your website.  1.63 has a space in the filename -- "Archive
Search.rev" -- while the one linked from your webpage does not have one.

Kat

Re: Is there a better way of scanning this list ?

Nicolas Cueto

MW > Try it now. I was having quite a bit of trouble with RevOnline
MW > uploading (and still am). I thought I had fixed that and put it online
MW > but apparently it never took. Version 1.63 is up there now

Downloaded it, and now everything's working as it should.

Thanks again, Mark.

--
Nicolas Cueto

Re: Is there a better way of scanning this list ?

Signe.Sanne
Hello Mark,
The stack came down nicely on Windows XP as well. A few comments though.

The fonts you have chosen put a strain on my eyes (being more than
sixtyish), so I immediately changed the fld "Message text" to Verdana,
plain, 12 and the field "thread" to Verdana, plain, 11. I also would
like to increase the height of fld "Message text" in order to avoid too
much scrolling.

By the way the button "Messages created" does not seem to work properly.
When "past year" or some of the other options are selected the messages
are not restricted to that period.

Otherwise this is a very useful stack for us, thanks a lot to you.
Signe Marie Sanne

Epost:     [hidden email]
http://www.hf.uib.no/mlab/Info/sms.html

Monday, June 13, 2005, 10:08:44 PM, you wrote:

NC> Downloaded it, and now everything's working as it should.

NC> Thanks again, Mark.

Thanks for pointing out the problem. I just assumed that the upload
went properly in the first place.

By the way...

put url(pUrl) doesn't work if pUrl is surrounded by quotes. That was
the problem with that previous version.

put "http://www.runrev.com" into pUrl
put url(pUrl)    works fine

put quote & "http://www.runrev.com" & quote into pUrl
put url(pUrl)    returns empty

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Is there a better way of scanning this list ?

mikey-2
I really like using gmail for handling mailing lists.

1) I have my own personal searchable archive of messages from the
list, searchable with google's tools, and organized the way I want.
The way that gmail handles messages encourages you to keep everything
for easy review later.

2) I love the way it handles threads, new mail, etc.  I kept ignoring
this thread until today.  The thread would go away, until a new
message would come in on it, and then it would show up.  I then was
able to review the entire thread with one click and finally decide
that I wanted to respond.  Now that I've seen all of these messages,
the next time I open the thread only the most recent one will show,
but a single click will expand some or all of the thread for review.

--
http://taoofrunrev.blogspot.com
http://taoof4d.blogspot.com

Two wrongs don't make a right
But three lefts do.

Re: Is there a better way of scanning this list ?

Howard Bornstein
On 6/14/05, Mikey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I really like using gmail for handling mailing lists.

I've also been using gmail for this list. I have all the messages go
to my personal account but are redirected to my gmail account and I
view them there.

It's the best tool I've found for reading threaded messages and for
content which I often need to search.

Howard Bornstein