Re: Life-cycle of paper clips (was: Re: Conference-DVDs arrived)

Re: Life-cycle of paper clips (was: Re: Conference-DVDs arrived)

Quentin Long
>On Feb 27, 2010, at 4:15 AM, Kay C Lan wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 4:12 PM, J. Landman Gay> wrote:
>>> But I still couldn't see where socks go after you put
>>> them in the dryer. I'll keep looking.
>> Oh, that's easy, they migrate to boys boarding schools. Every time my
>> boys come back home they have innumerable single socks that they've
>> never owned before. I believe I'm fairly successful in returning them
>> to their rightful owners because most of them disappear after I've
>> washed and dried them several time;-)...
> and while we're at it, what about paper clips? I'm always buying
>  more boxes of them -- where do they all go? My suspicion is that they
>  make their way somehow into closets and metamorphose in the dark into
>  wire coat hangers.... Jacque, have they confirmed this in 2020?
     I believe the definitive paper on the reproductive and migratory
habits of paper clips was OR ALL THE SEAS WITH OYSTERS (A. Davidson,
1958).

ANTHRO fantasy and science fiction: It's furry. It's the *good* stuff.
Always free online: http://anthrozine.com
Offline: ANTHROlogy One ( http://www.lulu.com/content/536807 ) THE
HUMAN MEMOIRS ( http://www.lulu.com/content/541536 ), etc

Re: Life-cycle of paper clips

J. Landman Gay
[hidden email] wrote:

>>> Oh, that's easy, they migrate to boys boarding schools. Every time my
>>> boys come back home they have innumerable single socks that they've
>>> never owned before. I believe I'm fairly successful in returning them
>>> to their rightful owners because most of them disappear after I've
>>> washed and dried them several time;-)...
>> and while we're at it, what about paper clips? I'm always buying
>>  more boxes of them -- where do they all go? My suspicion is that they
>>  make their way somehow into closets and metamorphose in the dark into
>>  wire coat hangers.... Jacque, have they confirmed this in 2020?
>     I believe the definitive paper on the reproductive and migratory
> habits of paper clips was OR ALL THE SEAS WITH OYSTERS (A. Davidson, 1958).

I was going to mention that only I couldn't remember the story title. I
can barely remember the story (and no, I did NOT read it when first
published. :)) I have my own theory about this, which was probably
influenced by the story. Hangers breed and give birth to little paper
clips. Little paper clips go through a life cycle where the grow to
various sizes up to a point, when they migrate and begin to pupate in
your closet. They emerge later as hangers. If I remember right, the
story compared the number of hangers to paper clips over a period of
time and noted that one population decreased as the other increased.

It would be fairly easy to gather similar data in one's own home.

Re: Life-cycle of paper clips

mwieder
Jacque-

Monday, March 1, 2010, 8:28:32 AM, you wrote:

> I was going to mention that only I couldn't remember the story title. I
> can barely remember the story (and no, I did NOT read it when first

Took it down off the shelf for a re-read this morning... it was safety
pins and coat hangers... and... uh... red French racing bicycles, of
course. Also puts me in mind of Theodore Sturgeon's "Yesterday was
Monday".

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

What are they called?

Joe Lewis Wilkins
Feeling kind of stupid this morning, but I'm trying to tell someone that the "hints" we get when holding the cursor over a tool should be enlarged - if at all possible - so that the visually impaired (like me) can read them more easily; however, I can't remember what they are called.

TIA,

Joe Lewis Wilkins

Re: What are they called?

Colin Holgate-2

On Mar 1, 2010, at 12:30 PM, Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:

> Feeling kind of stupid this morning, but I'm trying to tell someone that the "hints" we get when holding the cursor over a tool should be enlarged - if at all possible - so that the visually impaired (like me) can read them more easily; however, I can't remember what they are called.

Tool Tips.

Re: What are they called?

Jeffrey Massung
Tooltips?

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Joe Lewis Wilkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Feeling kind of stupid this morning, but I'm trying to tell someone that
> the "hints" we get when holding the cursor over a tool should be enlarged -
> if at all possible - so that the visually impaired (like me) can read them
> more easily; however, I can't remember what they are called.

Re: What are they called?

xtalkprogrammer
Hi Joe,

I think they are called tooltips. They are indeed a bit small and not
adjustable. It is possible to make your own, although it isn't very
easy. Halfway this page http://qurl.tk/61 you will find an example,
which shows the name, long id and id number in a tooltip when the
pointer tool hovers over an object in Revolution.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com

Economy-x-Talk is always looking for new software development
projects. Feel free to contact me for a quote.

Op 1 mrt 2010, om 18:30 heeft Joe Lewis Wilkins het volgende geschreven:

> Feeling kind of stupid this morning, but I'm trying to tell someone
> that the "hints" we get when holding the cursor over a tool should
> be enlarged - if at all possible - so that the visually impaired
> (like me) can read them more easily; however, I can't remember what
> they are called.
>
> TIA,
>
> Joe Lewis Wilkins

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: What are they called?

Joe Lewis Wilkins
Thanks to all who responded so promptly. Especially Mark who guessed why I need to know. You all are the best.

Joe Lewis Wilkins

On Mar 1, 2010, at 9:39 AM, Mark Schonewille wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> I think they are called tooltips. They are indeed a bit small and not adjustable. It is possible to make your own, although it isn't very easy. Halfway this page http://qurl.tk/61 you will find an example, which shows the name, long id and id number in a tooltip when the pointer tool hovers over an object in Revolution.
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Mark Schonewille

> Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
>
> Economy-x-Talk is always looking for new software development projects. Feel free to contact me for a quote.
>
> Op 1 mrt 2010, om 18:30 heeft Joe Lewis Wilkins het volgende geschreven:
>
>> Feeling kind of stupid this morning, but I'm trying to tell someone that the "hints" we get when holding the cursor over a tool should be enlarged - if at all possible - so that the visually impaired (like me) can read them more easily; however, I can't remember what they are called.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Joe Lewis Wilkins

Re: What are they called?

François Chaplais-3

Le 1 mars 2010 à 18:30, Joe Lewis Wilkins a écrit :

> Feeling kind of stupid this morning, but I'm trying to tell someone that the "hints" we get when holding the cursor over a tool should be enlarged - if at all possible - so that the visually impaired (like me) can read them more easily; however, I can't remember what they are called.

"useless stuff on a touch device" ;)

Re: Life-cycle of paper clips (was: Re: Conference-DVDs arrived)

slylabs13
What only a few scientists realize (and they all work for the Government out at Area 51) is that wormholes are quite easy to reproduce. You don't think all the aliens got here by using nuclear fusion to create them now do you? Eventually every civilization figures out a way to make a dryer, and this is what launches them into the Space Age.

All, it takes a precise level of heat, humidity and a slight static charge that is rotating at a certain speed to create one. All this is accomplished in a modern dryer, which is how the scientists discover it. Haven't you ever noticed how the Einstein types socks never match? Haven't you noticed that all dryers rotate at exactly the same speed? Once you push the button, it's only a matter of time.

Once we figure out how to get BOTH socks to warp to another location before the admittedly unstable wormholes break down, THEN we'll be able to refine a method for getting all our socks back. But really, the great mystery of the universe is the question of why it's always socks and never underwear. Many spiritualists use this odd fact as proof that there is indeed, a God.

Now Jacque will deny this, but I believe the way she invented the time *warp* stack, is one day she accidentally left a USB key with all her Revolution projects on it in her pants pocket which she ended up putting in (you guessed it) the dryer. It's believed that the usb key worked it's way out of her pants pocket and into one of her socks. (We are pretty sure it was her sock because the initials on it matched hers.) Later when the USB key mysteriously appeared on her desk, all the Revolution stacks on the USB key were now Time *warp* stacks.

What Jacque never knew, and what I must confess now, primarily because a few very smart people on this list have already figured it out, is where the USB key was in the interim. Jacque, haven't you ever wondered how I got my hands on your time *warp* stack? Well now you know. And by the way, my father, (who works at Area 51) has a lot of socks and none of them match.

Bob

On Feb 28, 2010, at 8:33 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

>>> Oh, that's easy, they migrate to boys boarding schools. Every time my
>>> boys come back home they have innumerable single socks that they've
>>> never owned before. I believe I'm fairly successful in returning them
>>> to their rightful owners because most of them disappear after I've
>>> washed and dried them several time;-)...

Re: What are they called?

Joe Lewis Wilkins
Very useful, Mark. How would I increase the size of the Tool Tips displayed by this plug-in?

Joe Lewis Wilkins

On Mar 1, 2010, at 9:39 AM, Mark Schonewille wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> I think they are called tooltips. They are indeed a bit small and not adjustable. It is possible to make your own, although it isn't very easy. Halfway this page http://qurl.tk/61 you will find an example, which shows the name, long id and id number in a tooltip when the pointer tool hovers over an object in Revolution.
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Mark Schonewille

> Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
>
> Economy-x-Talk is always looking for new software development projects. Feel free to contact me for a quote.

Re: What are they called?

xtalkprogrammer
Hi Joe,

The size of the little window adjusts itself automatically and the
textSize is just the textSize of the field in that window. That should
be scriptable.

The current plug-in displays object names only. I believe I should
make a more general tooltips stack.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com

Economy-x-Talk is always looking for new software development
projects. Feel free to contact me for a quote.

Op 1 mrt 2010, om 19:04 heeft Joe Lewis Wilkins het volgende geschreven:

> Very useful, Mark. How would I increase the size of the Tool Tips
> displayed by this plug-in?
>
> Joe Lewis Wilkins

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: What are they called?

Joe Lewis Wilkins
Great idea Mark. I can't wait!

Joe Lewis Wilkins

Bob Sneidar wrote:

> What Jacque never knew, and what I must confess now, primarily
> because a few very smart people on this list have already figured it
> out, is where the USB key was in the interim. Jacque, haven't you
> ever wondered how I got my hands on your time *warp* stack? Well now
> you know.

Well that explains it then. Tomorrow I'm going to go back and take it
away from you last week.

Re: Life-cycle of paper clips (was: Re: Conference-DVDs arrived)

mwieder
Bob-

Monday, March 1, 2010, 9:54:18 AM, you wrote:

> Once we figure out how to get BOTH socks to warp to another
> location before the admittedly unstable wormholes break down, THEN
> we'll be able to refine a method for getting all our socks back. But

I believe the Pauli Exclusion Principle will come into play if you try
that. Two socks of the same pair can't warp to the same location
unless you have right-footed and left-footed socks.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Life-cycle of paper clips

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 01/03/2010 21:34, Mark Wieder wrote:

> Bob-
>
> Monday, March 1, 2010, 9:54:18 AM, you wrote:
>

>> Once we figure out how to get BOTH socks to warp to another
>> location before the admittedly unstable wormholes break down, THEN
>> we'll be able to refine a method for getting all our socks back. But
>>
> I believe the Pauli Exclusion Principle will come into play if you try
> that. Two socks of the same pair can't warp to the same location
> unless you have right-footed and left-footed socks.

I seem to remember from Natural Philosophy classes at school there was the
Left-Hand Sock rule and the Right-Hand Sock Rule . . .

Also remember . . .

The quality of mercy is not strained . . . unless through a sock.

Re: What are they called?

Thomas McGrath III-3
Tooltips

On Mar 1, 2010, at 12:30 PM, Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:

> Feeling kind of stupid this morning, but I'm trying to tell someone that the "hints" we get when holding the cursor over a tool should be enlarged - if at all possible - so that the visually impaired (like me) can read them more easily; however, I can't remember what they are called.
>
> TIA,
>
> Joe Lewis Wilkins

Re: Life-cycle of paper clips (was: Re: Conference-DVDs arrived)

Kay C Lan
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Bob Sneidar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  But really, the great mystery of the universe is the question of why it's always socks and never underwear. Many spiritualists use this odd fact as proof that there is indeed, a God.

Again, no mystery there, it's all to do with shape. The greatest
aeronautical geniuses of the universe took it as a challenge to find
that shape which was inherently never meant to fly; and make it fly.
Not only did they succeed, but against all forces of the universe they
were able to make it return from whence it came. Obviously I'm talking
about the Australian Aboriginals. The boomerang is a highly
sophisticated design, but get it wrong, and galactic forces will send
all sock shaped spinning objects (hence the conspiracy with washing
machine or tumble dryer as already explained by Bob) on a one way
journey to 'the never never' - the Aboriginal technical term for that
place you never want to go to.

Actually, in the Aboriginal dreamtime (way way way before white-fella
history) it was only called 'the never' because all that was there was
countless boomerang prototype failures. But the spiritual elders,
those who saw into the distant future, could see that one day, the
failed boomerangs would be outnumbered by socks, and therefore to
emphasis the chance of you finding anything useful there, they now
refer to it as 'the never never'.

As a side note, some theorise that a young James M. Barrie upon
hearing magnificent stories of the young Australian colony, it's
aboriginals, and the never never, incorrectly concluded that such a
place was adults only. He then used his writing genius to weave a tale
about NeverLand which was children only.

But enough of the facts;-)

Re: Life-cycle of paper clips

Douglas-4
May I point out that both Calvin Klein and Pringle do Left and Right socks.
(Their logo is embroidered either on the left or right of the sock.)

It is again a strange fact that I seem to end up with 2 left socks or 2
right
socks after a wash that contained only one pair!

Douglas .  (A first time poster who does the washing and also programs
in RunRev)

On 01/03/2010 19:43, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> On 01/03/2010 21:34, Mark Wieder wrote:
>> Bob-
>>
>> Monday, March 1, 2010, 9:54:18 AM, you wrote:
>>
>>> Once we figure out how to get BOTH socks to warp to another
>>> location before the admittedly unstable wormholes break down, THEN
>>> we'll be able to refine a method for getting all our socks back. But
>> I believe the Pauli Exclusion Principle will come into play if you try
>> that. Two socks of the same pair can't warp to the same location
>> unless you have right-footed and left-footed socks.
>>
> I seem to remember from Natural Philosophy classes at school there was
> the
> Left-Hand Sock rule and the Right-Hand Sock Rule . . .
>
> Also remember . . .
>
> The quality of mercy is not strained . . . unless through a sock.

Re: Life-cycle of paper clips

mwieder
Douglas-

Welcome to the list community...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_do_all_those_darned_left_socks_keep_going

> Douglas .  (A first time poster who does the washing and also programs
> in RunRev)

You do the washing in RunRev? I'm seriously impressed...

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com
12