Re: OT: The passing of Transcript (was Is there a more English-like Programming language than Transcript?)

Re: OT: The passing of Transcript (was Is there a more English-like Programming language than Transcript?)

David Glasgow

On 16 Aug 2006, at 3:15 am, Bridger Maxwell" <[hidden email]
wrote:

>  "You don't have to have a degree in programming to develop in
> Revolution.
> Revolution uses an easy to understand English-based language also
> called
> Revolution."  That sounds pretty official that the language is no
> longer
> called "Transcipt" anymore by the people at Runrev.

if 'Transcript' is now dead, (long live the Revolution), I am going to
break cover and record my own footnote in Rev history.

Back in the early days, users were invited to suggest names for the
language.  I was working on a discourse analysis stack at the time -
using transcripts, geddit?  As I drove up the M6 past Wigan, scripting
away in my head, 'Transcript' popped into my head as a possible name.
I liked it because it implied the spanning of the platforms unique to
the language.

Objections to 'Transcript' included that it was an ordinary English
word with its own meaning.  Perfectly reasonable point, but I was
indeed chuffed when the Rev folks went for 'Transcript'.  I don't have
the skills to contribute to the development of Rev, or indeed much to
this list, so this was one thing that made me feel I was supporting the
whole Revolution thing.

Sadly, it was at a time when prizes weren't awarded for winning
suggestions, so I will have to toast the passing of the name with my
own single malt.

Best Wishes,

David Glasgow
Carlton Glasgow Partnership

http://www.i-psych.co.uk

Re: OT: The passing of Transcript (was Is there a more English-like Programming language than Transcript?)

david bovill
So it was you!

I like Transcript now - I tend to use it when as Paul says "Revolution" or
Rev does not fit the bill - in anarchist circles for instance :) It is
elegant - xScript, xTalk and xCode got my votes at the time - with the main
disadvantage of searches leading you to a wide variety of porn sites.

"Revolution programmed in Revolution" doesn't go down well with me - but of
a mouth full at best, hyperbolic, and not that it matters - logically
confused. Both suffer from non-googleability. Bad marketing.

Re: OT: The passing of Transcript (was Is there a more English-like Programming language than Transcript?)

Paul Looney-2
David,
Half a world away when "Revolution" programmers gather, they still
speak of "Transcript" in the present tense!
Paul Looney
PS In San Dimas, California; where the 10, 210 and 57 converge - far
from Wigan.

wrote:

  > "You don't have to have a degree in programming to develop in >
Revolution.
  > Revolution uses an easy to understand English-based language also >
called
  > Revolution." That sounds pretty official that the language is no >
longer
 > called "Transcipt" anymore by the people at Runrev.

  if 'Transcript' is now dead, (long live the Revolution), I am going to
break cover and record my own footnote in Rev history.

  Back in the early days, users were invited to suggest names for the
language. I was working on a discourse analysis stack at the time -
using transcripts, geddit? As I drove up the M6 past Wigan, scripting
away in my head, 'Transcript' popped into my head as a possible name. I
liked it because it implied the spanning of the platforms unique to the
language.

  Objections to 'Transcript' included that it was an ordinary English
word with its own meaning. Perfectly reasonable point, but I was indeed
chuffed when the Rev folks went for 'Transcript'. I don't have the
skills to contribute to the development of Rev, or indeed much to this
list, so this was one thing that made me feel I was supporting the
whole Revolution thing.

  Sadly, it was at a time when prizes weren't awarded for winning
suggestions, so I will have to toast the passing of the name with my
own single malt.

 Best Wishes,

 David Glasgow
 Carlton Glasgow Partnership

 http://www.i-psych.co.uk

Re: OT: The passing of Transcript (was Is there a more English-like Programming language than Transcript?)

Stephen Barncard
TRANSCRIPT is part of the Rev culture now...no turning back..sorry Lynn.

some old audio and radio guys still refer to 'kilocycles', capacitors
as condensers, and CDs as 'records'.

I imagine the term will be around for a while.

sqb

--
stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o

Re: OT: The passing of Transcript (was Is there a more English-like Programming language than Transcript?)

Andre Garzia
Stephen,

kilocycles sound as a sci-fi tour de france to me....

Watch as Lance Armstrong XV rides his kilocycle across france in the
speed of light.... zoooommmmmmmm

PS:... need, more, coffee.
Andre

On Aug 16, 2006, at 2:06 PM, Stephen Barncard wrote:

> kilocycles

Re: OT: The passing of Transcript (was Is there a more English-like Programming language than Transcript?)

Sivakatirswami
And transcript is that text doctors get back after they do surgery and
call up a service and give their report over the phone and they get a
transcript sent back to office later. Yep, programming in transcript
must mean Revolution records you dictating your code, then later you
listen to it and if it sounds good, you can transcribe it and poof, it's
magic... you have transcript!

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Perl script... Java Script... Revolution Script...

Chat session with tech support at Data Center for web server:

Tech: "I put an example for you in your CGI bin, it's a Perl Script, you
can use that as a model.
Check the paths you need to use in there... BTW, what's that code you
are  using...
looks really cool, so clear and simple. And wow, you
get a lot done in a few lines!"

KT:: "Thanks... That's Transcript"

Tech: "It's what???"

KT: "I mean, its a Revolution script."

Tech: "Oh, right. I see that now in your call  line:
#!usr/local/bin/revolution"

Andre Garzia wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> kilocycles sound as a sci-fi tour de france to me....
>
> Watch as Lance Armstrong XV rides his kilocycle across france in the
> speed of light.... zoooommmmmmmm
>
> PS:... need, more, coffee.
> Andre
>
> On Aug 16, 2006, at 2:06 PM, Stephen Barncard wrote:
>
>> kilocycles

Re: OT: The passing of Transcript (was Is there a more English-like Programming language than Transcript?)

Dar Scott
Sometimes name changes just bug us.

Scientists have been debating for a while what is the definition of a
planet and this week a bunch at a scientist club have voted that
Pluto is not a planet.  I don't mind and my grandkids are excited.
The only problem is that sometimes scientists think that the
scientific jargon meaning of a word is the only meaning.  For
example, some people call all insects bugs and some entomologists say
bug applies only to Hemiptera.

When I was a small boy I read SF and books about astronomy.  I knew
from those books that the names of our sun, planet and moon were Sol,
Terra and Luna respectively.  Then at the start of the space race
NASA started talking about planet Earth.  The press followed.  In a
short time most people thought of the name of the planet as Earth.
Now, that bugged this boy.  I wanted to be excited about astronauts
and rockets and such, but somehow that turned it into a PR game.

I wonder if some mathematicians or word lovers were bugged when IBM
changed the name of sexadecimal to hexadecimal.  DEC used octal,
perhaps to avoid an offensive chimeric word with magic spell
connotations, being based in Massachusetts and all that.

Sometime late last century I vaguely noticed that there weren't any
Datsuns around.

Dealing with name changes is part of how we cope, I guess.

Dar Scott

Re: OT: The passing of Pluto

mwieder
Dar-

Thursday, August 24, 2006, 11:14:53 AM, you wrote:

> Now, that bugged this boy.  I wanted to be excited about astronauts
> and rockets and such, but somehow that turned it into a PR game.

I'm still not used to the renaming of the Giants' ballpark. I wonder
how long it will be before we get "AT&T Pluto" or "Halliburton Ceres".

> I wonder if some mathematicians or word lovers were bugged when IBM
> changed the name of sexadecimal to hexadecimal.  DEC used octal,
> perhaps to avoid an offensive chimeric word with magic spell
> connotations, being based in Massachusetts and all that.

ROTFL. Fortunately the only vestiges of octal left seem to be left
over in things like chmod.

> Sometime late last century I vaguely noticed that there weren't any
> Datsuns around.

...and there's a town in Japan that got renamed Toyota.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Terra,sexadecimal : Sometimes name changes just bug us.

Erik Hansen

Hate to tell you this, but many young
college graduates would refer to your chrished
astronomy book as a "novel" because it is a
hard copy offering.

--- Dar Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sometimes name changes just bug us.
>
> Scientists have been debating for a while what
> is the definition of a
> planet and this week a bunch at a scientist
> club have voted that
> Pluto is not a planet.  I don't mind and my
> grandkids are excited.
> The only problem is that sometimes scientists
> think that the
> scientific jargon meaning of a word is the only
> meaning.  For
> example, some people call all insects bugs and
> some entomologists say
> bug applies only to Hemiptera.
>
> When I was a small boy I read SF and books
> about astronomy.  I knew
> from those books that the names of our sun,
> planet and moon were Sol,
> Terra and Luna respectively.  Then at the start
> of the space race
> NASA started talking about planet Earth.  The
> press followed.  In a
> short time most people thought of the name of
> the planet as Earth.
> Now, that bugged this boy.  I wanted to be
> excited about astronauts
> and rockets and such, but somehow that turned
> it into a PR game.
>
> I wonder if some mathematicians or word lovers
> were bugged when IBM
> changed the name of sexadecimal to hexadecimal.
>  DEC used octal,
> perhaps to avoid an offensive chimeric word
> with magic spell
> connotations, being based in Massachusetts and
> all that.
>
> Sometime late last century I vaguely noticed
> that there weren't any
> Datsuns around.
>
> Dealing with name changes is part of how we
> cope, I guess.

[hidden email]    http://www.erikhansen.org

Re: OT: The passing of Pluto

Dan Shafer-2
On 8/24/06, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dar-
>
> Thursday, August 24, 2006, 11:14:53 AM, you wrote:
>
> > Now, that bugged this boy.  I wanted to be excited about astronauts
> > and rockets and such, but somehow that turned it into a PR game.
>
> I'm still not used to the renaming of the Giants' ballpark. I wonder
> how long it will be before we get "AT&T Pluto" or "Halliburton Ceres".

It is for that reason that this long-time Giants fan and sports blogger
refers to the Giants' home as Ringy-Dingy Park. That way, I figure whatever
phone company buys whatever other phone company, the name of the park stays
consistent and accurate.

Re: OT: The passing of Pluto

Phil Davis-5
Have you heard about the town of half.com, Oregon? I think it has now reverted
back to its original name, Halfway OR. Their city fathers made a deal
(time-limited, I believe) with half.com and got the company to locate there.

Phil Davis

On Aug 24, 2006, at 4:18 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:

> I wonder
> how long it will be before we get "AT&T Pluto" or "Halliburton Ceres".

Company names are always changing, too.  Here in the US, many large
corporations are being bought out by companies from overseas, a
consequence, in part, of the high government deficit in the US.  Name
changes with education campaigns follow.

Here in New Mexico supermarkets went through a soap opera frenzy of
buying, selling, merging, selling off, so that in a few months a few
years back almost all supermarkets I knew changed names and some
within a few blocks of each other ended up swapping names.  (For all
I know that happened nation wide or world wide.)  Here it was more
than a name change; I learned that district leadership and national
management really does make a difference.

> ...and there's a town in Japan that got renamed Toyota.

In New Mexico, over a half century ago, the town of Hot Springs New
Mexico (often spelled without the comma and always said with the
state name) changed its name to Truth or Consequences after the TV
show.  It never changed it back.

Dar

Re: OT: City naming or The passing of Pluto

Andre Garzia

Irgh at least in Brazil cities don't change name like this...

My city founded in 1573 was named Vila de São Lourenço dos Índios
(Village of Saint Laurence of the Indians) being a part of the piece
of land called Banda D'Além (which literally means land beyond). In
1819 the village was recognized by central goverment and it was then
called Vila Real da Praia Grande (Royal Village of Long Beach) then
in 1835 it was renamed Niterói which is the name it retains till
today, it's named after the indian word Nictheroy which means hidden
waters. If someone tried to change my city name to some TV Show he
would face a civil war or at least some eggs in the face and a go-
home-never-step-back-here attitude by the city crowd.

Some stuff in America really scary the bits out of me, at least in
England they do keep the city names, I think London is London since
forever (or some time later than the romans)...

PS: The japanese always scare me. not just some stuff. they. always.
scare. me.

PS: I have some nice web gallery on photos of my city case anyone
wonders what the other side of Rio de Janeiro looks like.

On Aug 25, 2006, at 1:14 AM, Dar Scott wrote:

>> ...and there's a town in Japan that got renamed Toyota.
>
> In New Mexico, over a half century ago, the town of Hot Springs New
> Mexico (often spelled without the comma and always said with the
> state name) changed its name to Truth or Consequences after the TV
> show.  It never changed it back.
>
> Dar

Re: OT: The passing of Pluto

ScottR
Personally, I couldn't care less whether or not Pluto should or shouldn't be
called a planet.  I've always thought the more compelling story was the
discovery (or dispute) of the existence of Planet X:

http://xfacts.com/x1.htm
http://www.halexandria.org/dward236.htm

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design
-----
E: [hidden email]
W: http://www.tactilemedia.com

Re: OT: The passing of Pluto

sims
At 10:45 PM -0700 8/24/06, Scott Rossi wrote:

>Personally, I couldn't care less whether or not Pluto should or shouldn't be
>called a planet.  I've always thought the more compelling story was the
>discovery (or dispute) of the existence of Planet X:
>
>http://xfacts.com/x1.htm
>http://www.halexandria.org/dward236.htm
>
>Regards,
>
>Scott Rossi

Time for a confession.
Malta is the gateway to Planet X. Those who have been here can attest
to that fact.
There will be a short presentation about this deep connection at the
EuroRevCon 2006
being held in Malta.

Learn more & prosper.

sims

European Rev Conference  2006
www.techietours.com

Re: OT: The passing of Pluto

barryb@libero.it
While we all seem to be Ot abut place names , heres my bit.

Yes London has practically always been called that. It was Londinos when the Romans arrived, they changed it to Lundinium and so on through the ages.
But my favourite is a townlet near here in Northen Italy which the Romans knew by the lovely name of Argentia which makes you think of something silver.
In the 16th century it was changed to Gorgonzola!
As Shakespeare once wrote (I think) "A 'cheese' by any other name would smell as sweet"

Oh! the adds at the bottom of my posts are not mine, that comes from using a free email provider and I didn't know until I saw it here.
Barry

Re: OT: The passing of Pluto

sims wrote:

> Time for a confession.
> Malta is the gateway to Planet X. Those who have been here can attest
> to that fact.
> There will be a short presentation about this deep connection at the
> EuroRevCon 2006
> being held in Malta.

I think the exact location of the gateway is in the former armory
beneath the walls of the fortress at Mdina, where the wonderful Bacchus
restaurant now sits.

Can't wait to get back there....

  Managing Editor, revJournal

Re: OT: The passing of Pluto

Frank D. Engel, Jr.
The only "adds" I see at the bottom of your message are the ones that
the Rev mailing list tacks on.

Now mine, on the other hand...

Signup at www.doteasy.com