Re: Stupid Programming Challenge (Barry Barber)

Re: Stupid Programming Challenge (Barry Barber)

barryb@libero.it

Hello again,
Seeing as all the experts are now agreed on the script for a proportional thumb on a scrollbar, may I ask a stupid beginners question?

Why did Scott Rossi use a separate scrollbar and routine?
I thought the method was to click the 'Vertical scrollbar' box in the Basic properties of the Group "master".
 When I did this I got a proportional scrollbar which scrolled to end of the list without scriptng anything - of which I am not yet capable, anyway!.;-(

Of course there will be some technical reason which I will not understand but would love to know.
--------
On Nov 27, 2006, at 9:54 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:

> OK, I've beaten my head against the wall long enough on >this, so I'm throwing it out there for anyone who wants to >try their hand >at a simple (?) challenge:
>
> Modify the initScrollbar routine in the following stack such >that
> 1) the scrollbar displays proportionally to content >displayed in the associated group,
>and 2) the scrollbar consistently scrolls the group to the
> end of its content. The stack contains a button to randomly >populate a scrolling group, and the initScrollbar routine is >stored in the button.
> go url "http://www.tactilemedia.com/download/sbfix.rev"
-----------

Thanks to all for the valuable info I pick up here everyday. Must limit reading this list though and try creating something.

Barry

RE: Stupid Programming Challenge (Barry Barber)

Jan Sælid-2
Because of customisation and control. Want to make a flashy custom scrollbar
with a proportional thumb and your own graphics? Well, this is it.

(The stack I created as a result of the thread is called
"customPropsScrollbar" and is available at rev online under the user name
"Jan Selid")

Regards,
Jan

Re: Stupid Programming Challenge (Barry Barber)

ScottR
Recently, [hidden email] wrote:

> Why did Scott Rossi use a separate scrollbar and routine?
> I thought the method was to click the 'Vertical scrollbar' box in the Basic
> properties of the Group "master".
>  When I did this I got a proportional scrollbar which scrolled to end of the
> list without scriptng anything - of which I am not yet capable, anyway!.;-(
>
> Of course there will be some technical reason which I will not understand but
> would love to know.

Guess I should answer...  :-)

Normally, there probably isn't much need for a separate scrollbar control.
In my case, I was trying to emulate a solution I didn't know about: trying
to use a miniscrollbar with a scrolling group.  Mark Schonewille pointed out
that one can set the scrollbarWidth of the group to the desired value (13)
to get the miniscrollbar effect, which is great.  But I'm doing some
pixel-precise positioning of UI elements in my stack where the group's
built-in scrollbar doesn't quite fit the way I need it to.  So using the
separate scrollbar is a good solution for me.

Another example could be a "shared space" scrollbar.  For example, in some
applications, a horizontal scrolling region can span the width of a window,
but the scrollbar only spans a portion of the overall width so that other
controls/displays can appear in-line alongside the scrollbar.  This type of
"shared space" is where a custom-sized scrollbar can be very useful.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design