Re: iOS 12 compatibility

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Thank you Livecode crew for patching Bug 21396 that required
acceleratedRendering to be TRUE in order for an app to launch in iOS
12! Word of advice to developers as they submit their new builds to
Apple (because if you don't, and you don't have acceleratedRendering
enabled in your stack, your app won't launch in the new operating
system): don't mention the fact that the new OS broke the existing app.

In my "What's New in This Version" text, I mentioned "added iOS 12
compatibility" which apparently is a big no-no. My latest submission
got rejected for breaking PLA 2.3 which states "Apple may provide You
with pre-release versions of the Apple Software or related services
that constitute Apple Confidential Information and are subject to the
confidentiality obligations of this Agreement."

So Apple released a public beta, that beta broke developer software as
reported by public beta users, but we can't speak of such things. *eye
roll*

Luckily this is just a metadata rejection that doesn't require a new
build. Just thought I'd share my experience to help save someone else
the embarrassment of breaking your NDA with a company who has a $1T
market cap.

--Andrew Bell

Re: iOS 12 compatibility

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Hi Andrew,

What version of LC and Xcode combination did you use for your build?

be well,
randy
www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com

> On Sep 10, 2018, at 10:30 AM, Andrew Bell via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you Livecode crew for patching Bug 21396 that required acceleratedRendering to be TRUE in order for an app to launch in iOS 12! Word of advice to developers as they submit their new builds to Apple (because if you don't, and you don't have acceleratedRendering enabled in your stack, your app won't launch in the new operating system): don't mention the fact that the new OS broke the existing app.
>
> In my "What's New in This Version" text, I mentioned "added iOS 12 compatibility" which apparently is a big no-no. My latest submission got rejected for breaking PLA 2.3 which states "Apple may provide You with pre-release versions of the Apple Software or related services that constitute Apple Confidential Information and are subject to the confidentiality obligations of this Agreement."
>
> So Apple released a public beta, that beta broke developer software as reported by public beta users, but we can't speak of such things. *eye roll*
>
> Luckily this is just a metadata rejection that doesn't require a new build. Just thought I'd share my experience to help save someone else the embarrassment of breaking your NDA with a company who has a $1T market cap.
>
> --Andrew Bell

Re: iOS 12 compatibility

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
You could write that you have tested under iOS 12, maybe that would be ok? Saying that you had to do something proactive in order to support iOS 12 is indirectly reporting that Apple software had issues.

> On Sep 10, 2018, at 11:37 AM, Randy Hengst via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> What version of LC and Xcode combination did you use for your build?
>
> be well,
> randy
> www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com
>

>> On Sep 10, 2018, at 10:30 AM, Andrew Bell via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you Livecode crew for patching Bug 21396 that required acceleratedRendering to be TRUE in order for an app to launch in iOS 12! Word of advice to developers as they submit their new builds to Apple (because if you don't, and you don't have acceleratedRendering enabled in your stack, your app won't launch in the new operating system): don't mention the fact that the new OS broke the existing app.
>>
>> In my "What's New in This Version" text, I mentioned "added iOS 12 compatibility" which apparently is a big no-no. My latest submission got rejected for breaking PLA 2.3 which states "Apple may provide You with pre-release versions of the Apple Software or related services that constitute Apple Confidential Information and are subject to the confidentiality obligations of this Agreement."
>>
>> So Apple released a public beta, that beta broke developer software as reported by public beta users, but we can't speak of such things. *eye roll*
>>
>> Luckily this is just a metadata rejection that doesn't require a new build. Just thought I'd share my experience to help save someone else the embarrassment of breaking your NDA with a company who has a $1T market cap.
>>
>> --Andrew Bell

Re: iOS 12 compatibility

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
> From: Randy Hengst <[hidden email]>
> To: How to use LiveCode <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: iOS 12 compatibility
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> What version of LC and Xcode combination did you use for your build?
>
> be well,
> randy
> www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com

I had previously (for almost 2 years?) been using Xcode 8.2 on macOS
10.11.x which worked with every version of LiveCode that was current
or beta at the time (including 9.0.1rc3). But when I went to submit to
Apple, they rejected the Xcode version I compiled against so I had to
upgrade to 10.12.x so I could use Xcode 9.2. Compiled with LC 9.0.1rc3
Business.

My initial submission (which got the metadata rejection) was reviewed
in less than 2 days. Looking at the current trend, I'll be waiting all
week to get this minor wording change approved according to
http://appreviewtimes.com/ (a GREAT little tool).

--Andrew Bell

Re: iOS 12 compatibility

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Thank you for those details, Andrew.

BTW, the app I submitted last month was actually approved the same day I submitted it… but, the app wasn’t very complicated. Apple does seem to have stepped up the speed of the review process.