Re: text selection question

Robert Brenstein
>If the command select or focus on is run from and open fld or in the
>message box then the selection just flashes for a second. If it is
>run from a button on the card then it works as expected. version 2.6
>- what am I doing wrong?
>
>Bill Humphrey wrote:

Just what you found out: you are selecting at wrong time. Whatever
occurs after you made the selection shifts the focus causing the
selection to be unselected.

Robert

Re: text selection question

william humphrey-2
Robert Brenstein wrote:

>> If the command select or focus on is run from and open fld or in the
>> message box then the selection just flashes for a second. If it is
>> run from a button on the card then it works as expected. version 2.6
>> - what am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Bill Humphrey wrote:
>>

> Just what you found out: you are selecting at wrong time. Whatever
> occurs after you made the selection shifts the focus causing the
> selection to be unselected.

I would not have expected a simple "on open field" to have something
else happen after that changes the focus. I wonder what it is so I can
stop it?

Re: text selection question

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto
At 1:16 PM -0400 6/11/2005, Bill Humphrey wrote:
>>>If the command select or focus on is run from and open fld or in
>>>the message box then the selection just flashes for a second. If
>>>it is run from a button on the card then it works as expected.
>>>version 2.6 - what am I doing wrong?
>
>I would not have expected a simple "on open field" to have something
>else happen after that changes the focus. I wonder what it is so I
>can stop it?

Well, openField changes the focus sort of by definition.

If you want a word auto-selected, you'll need to delay the selection
until after openField is finished. Try this:

  on openField
   if target is not empty then send doSelect to me in 1 tick
end openField

on doSelect
   select word 1 of me
end doSelect
--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ [hidden email]
http://www.jaedworks.com

Re: text selection question

Jon-3
Are all of these [reasonable] timing issues documented somewhere?  I
just had a similar problem ... er ... situation regarding On Startup vs
On OpenStack

:)

Jon

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:

>> I would not have expected a simple "on open field" to have something
>> else happen after that changes the focus. I wonder what it is so I
>> can stop it?
>

> Well, openField changes the focus sort of by definition.
>
> If you want a word auto-selected, you'll need to delay the selection
> until after openField is finished. Try this:
>
>  on openField
>   if target is not empty then send doSelect to me in 1 tick
> end openField
>
> on doSelect
>   select word 1 of me
> end doSelect

Re: text selection question

william humphrey-2
Thank you. This wait for 1 tick solves the problem completely.