[Really-OT] Rio is at a state of war

Andre Garzia-3
Folks,

This is just a heads up plus me needing to vent it out. Rio de Janeiro is in
a state of un-assumed war for a week now. Criminal factions are trying to
spread terror by burning car, buses and whatever they can on the street,
sometimes without giving any warning to those inside. We're living with this
crap for so long that we're not impressed anymore. As many here don't know
we have really big slums, complexo do alemão slum is home to 400 thousand
people alone and it is not the biggest one. Yesterday, the Rio de Janeiro
Special Police Forces allied with Everyone-Carrying-A-Badge took Vila do
Cruzeiro slum from the criminals and they are retaliating. There are tanks
on the street here and criminals are trying to shoot down the police armored
helicopter. Police is using clanfs (Amphibious Armored light tanks from our
marines) to break down barricades on the slums.

Brazil is a strange place, we have many police forces. There is the Civil
Police (Investigation), the Military Police (Pursuit criminals, maintain
order), Federal Police, National Force, All the different special ops but no
matter how many forces we have, in Rio there is one called BOPE (Batalhão de
Operações Especiais, special ops battalion) which is the best police in the
country but it is really not there to take criminals to justice but to wage
war against organized crime, they dress in black and their symbol is the
loved/hated skull with a knife and two pistols. Yesterday I saw them with
their black armored tanks invading a slum while the foot troops shouted:
"We're going to collect your souls!!!". And believe it or not, 350 BOPE
troppers are all the barrier there is between the common city dweller and
crime. Here in Rio a 14 years old robber will be carrying a AK-47, believe
me, I've seen it and been robbed by it.

What is happening now is a reaction from organized crime to the UPP
(Peace/Pacifying Police Units) which are a mixture of barracks, police
station, goverment presence that is being installed into each slum as we
retake them from crime. Basically after BOPE + Civil Police retake a slum,
they install this huge UPP where there is a permanent presence and
occupation by officers and goverment officials thus making crime somewhat
hard. As BOPE invaded Vila do Cruzeiro yesterday, at least 200 criminals
carrying AK-47 and other nasties fled to the neighbour slum Complexo do
Alemão. There are at least 40 deaths (official deaths which means the true
number is probably 3 or 4 times that) and 50 vehicles burned and more. This
situation is expected to last probably until next year and an things are
expected to aggravate soon as the police advance. Never in this country, the
common people sided with the police like we're seeing now, usually common
poor people would host and hide criminals. Now they are all asking and
tipping the cops, which is good, never seen that in here.

Heck as I am writing this email a black police helicopter just passed by my
window, it is circling a slum near my place, some of the heads behind the
terror wave are supposed to live in there...

Yesterday, on my city block alone there were 4 robberies and what we call
"Arrastão" which is when a huge number of criminals will band together and
run thru the streets robbing everyone on sight. Heck, when you see such
thing, you just run.

So, if you know anyone coming to Rio now or in the next month, tell them not
to come. If they do, make sure they stay safe and by safe I mean make sure
they know someone local to keep them out of the terror zones and make sure
they understand that Rio is under what we can call siege.

If anyone here wants to know what it is to live here because I think most on
this list have no clue, please watch a movie called "Elite Troop" (Tropa de
Elite) and "Elite Troop 2" (Tropa de Elite 2) which are the biggest box
office ever here. They are fictional but they are as close to the truth as
it is possible to go. They are about a real BOPE commander and his quest to
find his replacement in Rio under siege. This happened, he is real and I
just saw him on TV yesterday. The film is a drama/action movie and might
help people here see a side of Rio that the goverment and tourism agents
don't want to let you know.

Hiding behind 30cm of concrete and driving fast
Andre Alves Garzia
PS: I grew up here so I think this is all somewhat normal but it should not
be.

--
http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

Re: [Really-OT] Rio is at a state of war

Stephen Barncard-4
Andre -

thanks for sharing that. That was a well--written report. This is a bit of
OT that we should know.

I have read about the slums and the gangs but I had no idea it was that bad.
Obviously you are in Rio now -  I thought you said you were in Sao Paulo -
that must be your home town.

You are being very stoic - of course this should not be normal. We in the US
complain about everything all the time - but we don't have anything like
what's happening in your country.

This is a serious time and I wish the people of Brazil and your new
President a lot of luck.

sqb

On 26 November 2010 09:00, Andre Garzia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> If anyone here wants to know what it is to live here because I think most
> on
> this list have no clue, please watch a movie called "Elite Troop" (Tropa de
> Elite) and "Elite Troop 2" (Tropa de Elite 2) which are the biggest box
> office ever here. They are fictional but they are as close to the truth as
> it is possible to go. They are about a real BOPE commander and his quest to
> find his replacement in Rio under siege. This happened, he is real and I
> just saw him on TV yesterday. The film is a drama/action movie and might
> help people here see a side of Rio that the goverment and tourism agents
> don't want to let you know.
>
> Hiding behind 30cm of concrete and driving fast
> Andre Alves Garzia
> PS: I grew up here so I think this is all somewhat normal but it should not

Stephen Barncard
San Francisco Ca. USA

more about sqb  <http://www.google.com/profiles/sbarncar>

Re: [Really-OT] Rio is at a state of war

Andre Garzia-3
Stephen,

Thanks for the email. Yes, things are bad in here and it appears that it
will get worse before getting better. I live in Niteroi, neighbor city of
Rio. Just a 20 minutes ride from here to there where I work. My parents are
from São Paulo which is their own criminal nightmare in itself. Rio has a
really odd landscape/topography with the city at sea level and the slums on
the hills and small mountains, makes everything hard.

Our new president is an ex-guerrilla fighter who kidnapped U.S. Ambassadors
in exchange of liberty for political prisioners, she is also very hard to
deal with according to my girlfriend who is a journalist. I don't like the
new president, almost cried when she got ellected but hey, there were worse
options...

damn this country will get crazy the next four years...

Not enough people know about Rio and Brazil in "Real Life", all they know is
old Hollywood stereotypes. If they knew that here in Rio, the violence
already killed more than the vietnam war then they would think twice about
calling this a peaceful place. At least now they are seeing on TV that it is
a war, finally, after 30 years someone is telling the truth.

Eeek! the army just deployed 800 soldiers in Rio right now, things are about
to get ugly...

:-/

Well, I will be at the next conference, it will be good to have some days of
this whole situation.

Re: [Really-OT] Rio is at a state of war

Phil Davis-5
This morning there was a piece in the Wall St Journal on Rio's violence. (Photos
here
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703572404575634823185618234.html?mod=WSJ_World_MIDDLENews>.)
Wow. So sorry Andre! Stay safe, my friend!

Phil

On 11/26/10 10:20 AM, Andre Garzia wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> Thanks for the email. Yes, things are bad in here and it appears that it
> will get worse before getting better. I live in Niteroi, neighbor city of
> Rio. Just a 20 minutes ride from here to there where I work. My parents are
> from São Paulo which is their own criminal nightmare in itself. Rio has a
> really odd landscape/topography with the city at sea level and the slums on
> the hills and small mountains, makes everything hard.
>
> Our new president is an ex-guerrilla fighter who kidnapped U.S. Ambassadors
> in exchange of liberty for political prisioners, she is also very hard to
> deal with according to my girlfriend who is a journalist. I don't like the
> new president, almost cried when she got ellected but hey, there were worse
> options...
>
> damn this country will get crazy the next four years...
>
> Not enough people know about Rio and Brazil in "Real Life", all they know is
> old Hollywood stereotypes. If they knew that here in Rio, the violence
> already killed more than the vietnam war then they would think twice about
> calling this a peaceful place. At least now they are seeing on TV that it is
> a war, finally, after 30 years someone is telling the truth.
>
> Eeek! the army just deployed 800 soldiers in Rio right now, things are about
> to get ugly...
>
> :-/
>
> Well, I will be at the next conference, it will be good to have some days of
> this whole situation.

Phil Davis

PDS Labs
Professional Software Development
http://pdslabs.net

Re: [Really-OT] Rio is at a state of war

Andre Garzia-3
Phil,

Thanks for the email... if you want some more up to date pics, check this
slideshow by Rio de Janeiro main newspaper

http://g1.globo.com/rio-de-janeiro/fotos/2010/11/veja-fotos-dos-carros-incendiados-no-rio.html

strong pictures, be aware.

Re: [Really-OT] Rio is at a state of war

Jonathan Lynch
It seems like people would move out to the countryside, under situations
like what is described here. I would. I know I am missing something obvious.
I really feel for you, Andre.

If only one of us could write an application that empowers citizens to bring
peace to their neighborhoods :)

I hope no one you are close to gets hurt.
On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Phil Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This morning there was a piece in the Wall St Journal on Rio's violence.
> (Photos here <
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703572404575634823185618234.html?mod=WSJ_World_MIDDLENews>.)
> Wow. So sorry Andre! Stay safe, my friend!
>
> Phil
>

> On 11/26/10 10:20 AM, Andre Garzia wrote:
>
>> Stephen,
>>
>> Thanks for the email. Yes, things are bad in here and it appears that it
>> will get worse before getting better. I live in Niteroi, neighbor city of
>> Rio. Just a 20 minutes ride from here to there where I work. My parents
>> are
>> from São Paulo which is their own criminal nightmare in itself. Rio has a
>> really odd landscape/topography with the city at sea level and the slums
>> on
>> the hills and small mountains, makes everything hard.
>>
>> Our new president is an ex-guerrilla fighter who kidnapped U.S.
>> Ambassadors
>> in exchange of liberty for political prisioners, she is also very hard to
>> deal with according to my girlfriend who is a journalist. I don't like the
>> new president, almost cried when she got ellected but hey, there were
>> worse
>> options...
>>
>> damn this country will get crazy the next four years...
>>
>> Not enough people know about Rio and Brazil in "Real Life", all they know
>> is
>> old Hollywood stereotypes. If they knew that here in Rio, the violence
>> already killed more than the vietnam war then they would think twice about
>> calling this a peaceful place. At least now they are seeing on TV that it
>> is
>> a war, finally, after 30 years someone is telling the truth.
>>
>> Eeek! the army just deployed 800 soldiers in Rio right now, things are
>> about
>> to get ugly...
>>
>> :-/
>>
>> Well, I will be at the next conference, it will be good to have some days
>> of
>> this whole situation.

> Phil Davis
>
> PDS Labs
> Professional Software Development
> http://pdslabs.net

Do all things with love

Re: [Really-OT] Rio is at a state of war

Marian Petrides, MD
Ouch!  :-((  Stay safe, Andre.

On Nov 26, 2010, at 11:00 AM, Andre Garzia wrote:

> [...]
> this list have no clue, please watch a movie called "Elite Troop" (Tropa de
> Elite) and "Elite Troop 2" (Tropa de Elite 2) which are the biggest box
> office ever here. They are fictional but they are as close to the truth as
> it is possible to go. They are about a real BOPE commander and his quest to
> find his replacement in Rio under siege. This happened, he is real and I
> just saw him on TV yesterday. The film is a drama/action movie and might
> help people here see a side of Rio that the goverment and tourism agents
> don't want to let you know.
>
> Hiding behind 30cm of concrete and driving fast
> Andre Alves Garzia
> PS: I grew up here so I think this is all somewhat normal but it should not
> be.
>

> --
> http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

Re: [Really-OT] Rio is at a state of war

Pierre Sahores-3
Thanks for your informative resumes, Andre.

Kind Regards,

Pierre

Le 26 nov. 2010 à 19:20, Andre Garzia a écrit :

> Stephen,
>
> Thanks for the email. Yes, things are bad in here and it appears that it
> will get worse before getting better. I live in Niteroi, neighbor city of
> Rio. Just a 20 minutes ride from here to there where I work. My parents are
> from São Paulo which is their own criminal nightmare in itself. Rio has a
> really odd landscape/topography with the city at sea level and the slums on
> the hills and small mountains, makes everything hard.
>
> Our new president is an ex-guerrilla fighter who kidnapped U.S. Ambassadors
> in exchange of liberty for political prisioners, she is also very hard to
> deal with according to my girlfriend who is a journalist. I don't like the
> new president, almost cried when she got ellected but hey, there were worse
> options...
>
> damn this country will get crazy the next four years...
>
> Not enough people know about Rio and Brazil in "Real Life", all they know is
> old Hollywood stereotypes. If they knew that here in Rio, the violence
> already killed more than the vietnam war then they would think twice about
> calling this a peaceful place. At least now they are seeing on TV that it is
> a war, finally, after 30 years someone is telling the truth.
>
> Eeek! the army just deployed 800 soldiers in Rio right now, things are about
> to get ugly...
>
> :-/
>
> Well, I will be at the next conference, it will be good to have some days of
> this whole situation.

Pierre Sahores
mobile : (33) 6 03 95 77 70

www.woooooooords.com
www.sahores-conseil.com

Re: [Really-OT] Rio is at a state of war

Richmond Mathewson-2
I know it sounds corny, Andre; but you ARE in my prayers,
and I WILL light a candle for you.

Love, Richmond.

Re: [Really-OT] Rio is at a state of war

Haroldo Mauro Jr.
Two candles, please! Thank you in advance :-)
Haroldo

At 22:39 +0200 26/11/10, Richmond wrote:
>I know it sounds corny, Andre; but you ARE in my prayers,
>and I WILL light a candle for you.
>
>Love, Richmond.

Re: [Really-OT] Rio is at a state of war

J. Landman Gay
On 11/26/10 12:49 PM, Andre Garzia wrote:

> http://g1.globo.com/rio-de-janeiro/fotos/2010/11/veja-fotos-dos-carros-incendiados-no-rio.html
>
> strong pictures, be aware.

I couldn't live that way. Please stay safe, Andre. That's scary.

Re: [Really-OT] Rio is at a state of war

Andre Garzia-3
Thanks Richmond and Haroldo,

Things here are heavy but the police is winning and this is good. If you
guys seen the slideshow I posted earlier in the thread you'll see that our
police ressembles an army, simple uniformed cops can't handle what is
happening here right now.

goverment deployed the army here so that violence doesn't spread in the city
of Rio more than it already did. My city niteroi has no army presence and
our police officers are probably on Rio helping, so we're left alone and
crime waves are common these days. Damn, not enough cops.

Well, I am safe and will have fondue tonigh, cheese makes me very happy.

Thanks for the prayers and the candles, we all need help in here.

Andre

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 7:54 PM, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 11/26/10 12:49 PM, Andre Garzia wrote:
>

>> http://g1.globo.com/rio-de-janeiro/fotos/2010/11/veja-fotos-dos-carros-incendiados-no-rio.html
>>
>> strong pictures, be aware.
>>

> I couldn't live that way. Please stay safe, Andre. That's scary.

Jacque,

it is easy, no one shoots the guy who fixes the internet...

jokes aside, we've lived thru worse periods. Once there were only the bad
guys. Now, for the first time, the goverment is making a stand and our
troops are finally reclaiming crime territory after decades. I am 30 years
old and it is the first time in my lifetime that Vila do Cruzeiro was taken.
Now, if they can take Complexo do Alemão (which is funny in a non-funny way
because this name means complex of the germans and german is a street slang
for enemy in Rio), this slum is quite big, the size of 10 city districts and
one of the strongholds of one of the criminal factions, the comando vermelho
(Red Command).

It was worse when I was young. I remember by the time I was 14 or 15, I was
robbed almost every single week! As I left the school to take the bus home,
I had to pass by a slum and kids from that place would always rob us. I used
to carry three wallets, the exchange would go like this:

kid with some weapon: "hey playboy, pass me your wallet!"
me: "here! here!" and pass wallet #1 with no money
kid with some weapon: "Do you think I am a moron, pass me the hidden one!"
me: "Okay, sorry, sorry! here! here!" pass wallet #2 with less than 5 USD
kid with some weapon: "Just that? What is this?"
me: "I was robbed this morning..."
kid with some weapon: "Damn!"
me: "Can you spare me the change to take the bus"
kid with some weapon: "Okay, pick 1 back"

Now, we're not robbed like this anymore. Still we're at war like you seen
but this happens mostly on the poor areas and the upper middle class never
sees it. Me as just-middle-class am on the cross fire. I do not live in a
slum, but I live next to some. So I am safe but I do see the violence and
need to be extra careful not to be hit by it while on my comute to work

Well, as they say, it is never boring to be in Rio, lots of fireworks
everyday...

Thanks for the kind words Jacque but you guys will still suffer my wedding
pictures on the next conference.

http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

Re: [Really-OT] Rio is at a state of war

Haroldo Mauro Jr.
I meant for Richmond to light two candles, since I work in Rio, although living 100 miles away. But things are getting nasty around here too. You probably heard about Macae and Cabo Frio.
Haroldo

At 19:58 -0200 26/11/10, Andre Garzia wrote:

>Thanks Richmond and Haroldo,
>
>Things here are heavy but the police is winning and this is good. If you
>guys seen the slideshow I posted earlier in the thread you'll see that our
>police ressembles an army, simple uniformed cops can't handle what is
>happening here right now.
>
>goverment deployed the army here so that violence doesn't spread in the city
>of Rio more than it already did. My city niteroi has no army presence and
>our police officers are probably on Rio helping, so we're left alone and
>crime waves are common these days. Damn, not enough cops.
>
>Well, I am safe and will have fondue tonigh, cheese makes me very happy.
>
>Thanks for the prayers and the candles, we all need help in here.
>
>Andre
>
>On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 7:27 PM, Haroldo Mauro Jr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Two candles, please! Thank you in advance :-)
>> Haroldo
>>
>> At 22:39 +0200 26/11/10, Richmond wrote:
>> >I know it sounds corny, Andre; but you ARE in my prayers,
>> >and I WILL light a candle for you.
>> >
>> >Love, Richmond.

>--
>http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

Re: [Really-OT] Rio is at a state of war

Andre Garzia-3
oh you are nearby. Some friends are going to macaé because they think it is
better than here right now. I wondered about going to maricá for the weekend
but I think I will stay home and avoid the roads. There are at least three
big slums between me and maricá.

And now, to make everything better, there's heavy rain.... if it floods I
will think it is personal.

andre

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Haroldo Mauro Jr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I meant for Richmond to light two candles, since I work in Rio, although
> living 100 miles away. But things are getting nasty around here too. You
> probably heard about Macae and Cabo Frio.
> Haroldo
>

> At 19:58 -0200 26/11/10, Andre Garzia wrote:
> >Thanks Richmond and Haroldo,
> >
> >Things here are heavy but the police is winning and this is good. If you
> >guys seen the slideshow I posted earlier in the thread you'll see that our
> >police ressembles an army, simple uniformed cops can't handle what is
> >happening here right now.
> >
> >goverment deployed the army here so that violence doesn't spread in the
> city
> >of Rio more than it already did. My city niteroi has no army presence and
> >our police officers are probably on Rio helping, so we're left alone and
> >crime waves are common these days. Damn, not enough cops.
> >
> >Well, I am safe and will have fondue tonigh, cheese makes me very happy.
> >
> >Thanks for the prayers and the candles, we all need help in here.
> >
> >Andre
> >
> >On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 7:27 PM, Haroldo Mauro Jr <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Two candles, please! Thank you in advance :-)
> >> Haroldo

> >--
> >http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

Re: [Really-OT] Rio is at a state of war

Andre Garzia-3
harold,

by the way, stay safe you too.

On 11/26/10 4:11 PM, Andre Garzia wrote:

> Thanks for the kind words Jacque but you guys will still suffer my wedding
> pictures on the next conference.

If you don't show us your wedding pictures, then *we* will shoot you. :)

Re: [Really-OT] Rio is at a state of war

Pierre Sahores-3
Andre,

Only one french TV network (France 24, only available via DSL) to spend what ?... less than 15 seconds on the subject ... Nothing on the main networks (TF1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7) :-/

Please be careful you, your girlfriend and families

Pierre

Le 26 nov. 2010 à 22:58, Andre Garzia a écrit :

> Thanks Richmond and Haroldo,
>
> Things here are heavy but the police is winning and this is good. If you
> guys seen the slideshow I posted earlier in the thread you'll see that our
> police ressembles an army, simple uniformed cops can't handle what is
> happening here right now.
>
> goverment deployed the army here so that violence doesn't spread in the city
> of Rio more than it already did. My city niteroi has no army presence and
> our police officers are probably on Rio helping, so we're left alone and
> crime waves are common these days. Damn, not enough cops.
>
> Well, I am safe and will have fondue tonigh, cheese makes me very happy.
>
> Thanks for the prayers and the candles, we all need help in here.
>
> Andre
>
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 7:27 PM, Haroldo Mauro Jr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Two candles, please! Thank you in advance :-)
>> Haroldo
>>
>> At 22:39 +0200 26/11/10, Richmond wrote:
>>> I know it sounds corny, Andre; but you ARE in my prayers,
>>> and I WILL light a candle for you.
>>>
>>> Love, Richmond.

> http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

Pierre Sahores
mobile : (33) 6 03 95 77 70

www.woooooooords.com
www.sahores-conseil.com

Re: [Really-OT] Rio is at a state of war

Haroldo Mauro Jr.
Thanks. I think I'll just sit quietly in my office and read the Revolution User Guide from begining to end! Then on to the Dictionary and hope that by the middle of it this war will be over.

Harold

At 20:19 -0200 26/11/10, Andre Garzia wrote:

>harold,
>
>by the way, stay safe you too.
>
>On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Andre Garzia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> oh you are nearby. Some friends are going to macaé because they think it is
>> better than here right now. I wondered about going to maricá for the weekend
>> but I think I will stay home and avoid the roads. There are at least three
>> big slums between me and maricá.
>>
>> And now, to make everything better, there's heavy rain.... if it floods I
>> will think it is personal.
>>
>> andre
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Haroldo Mauro Jr <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> I meant for Richmond to light two candles, since I work in Rio, although
>>> living 100 miles away. But things are getting nasty around here too. You
>>> probably heard about Macae and Cabo Frio.
>>> Haroldo

>>> our

>>> city

>> http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.
>>

>--
>http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

Re: [Really-OT] Rio is at a state of war

Devin Asay
Wow, Andre! This is intense.

Of course, we have it rough here, too. Because it is really cold this week. ;-)

Seriously, little brother, keep your head down. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Looking forward to seeing you in April.

Devin

Brigham Young University