Recommend Directory for Installation of Windows Apps

Recommend Directory for Installation of Windows Apps

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
I am would to know what is the recommended directory for installing Windows apps. I have been using the Program Data folder for a long time. This was the recommended directory when I started making apps.  I am particular concerned about installing apps on Windows 10.

Thanks for your time!

Sent from my iPad

Re: Recommend Directory for Installation of Windows Apps

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
Apps themselves should be installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\ if a 32
bit app or C:\Program Files\ if a 64 bit app

C:\Program Data\ is for application data.

On 8/23/2018 1:10 PM, Charles Szasz via use-livecode wrote:

> I am would to know what is the recommended directory for installing Windows apps. I have been using the Program Data folder for a long time. This was the recommended directory when I started making apps.  I am particular concerned about installing apps on Windows 10.
>
> Thanks for your time!
>
> Sent from my iPad

Re: Recommend Directory for Installation of Windows Apps

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
Paul,

Thanks very much!

Sent from my iPad

Best way to store videos

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
Folks:
I have numerous videos that I would like to play on a wordpress web site, and in livecode. I don’t want to host these on my own server for obvious reasons of bandwidth, support for different browsers, etc.

This is not a commercial project, but an educational software project where I give it away for free. So, I would rather not pay, but I have looked into Vimeo and the lowest rate of $7/mo could work. I’ve tried YouTube and it has so many privacy issues. Also,  when the video ends it displays unrelated material that would be distracting to students.

I understand that any free service will probably want to grab users’ info for marketing. That’s the world we are in.

Buuut...... do you have a strategy that you could recommend?

Best,
Bill

William A. Prothero
http://earthlearningsolutions.org

Re: Best way to store videos

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
just fyi......you can disable to recommened videos in the embedd code......
you can also detect via java script when the video ends. so you really have
more control than you think.  just got to send script to the browser .....
"do in widget".

I haven't done anything crazy ...but i know that there is more control than
what is obvious at first.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 3:12 PM William Prothero via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Folks:
> I have numerous videos that I would like to play on a wordpress web site,
> and in livecode. I don’t want to host these on my own server for obvious
> reasons of bandwidth, support for different browsers, etc.
>
> This is not a commercial project, but an educational software project
> where I give it away for free. So, I would rather not pay, but I have
> looked into Vimeo and the lowest rate of $7/mo could work. I’ve tried
> YouTube and it has so many privacy issues. Also,  when the video ends it
> displays unrelated material that would be distracting to students.
>
> I understand that any free service will probably want to grab users’ info
> for marketing. That’s the world we are in.
>
> Buuut...... do you have a strategy that you could recommend?
>
> Best,
> Bill
>
> William A. Prothero
> http://earthlearningsolutions.org

Re: Best way to store videos

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
Thanks, Tom. I did a fair amount of Googling and didn’t find any way to turn off recommended videos, but perhaps Google is inhibiting those searches. I did find a fair amount on a few options, but they weren’t what I wanted.

FYI, I just started with the embed code that youtube gives after uploading. Perhaps further investigation will turn up something.
Best,
Bill

> On Aug 23, 2018, at 12:20 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> just fyi......you can disable to recommened videos in the embedd code......
> you can also detect via java script when the video ends. so you really have
> more control than you think.  just got to send script to the browser .....
> "do in widget".
>
> I haven't done anything crazy ...but i know that there is more control than
> what is obvious at first.
>
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 3:12 PM William Prothero via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Folks:
>> I have numerous videos that I would like to play on a wordpress web site,
>> and in livecode. I don’t want to host these on my own server for obvious
>> reasons of bandwidth, support for different browsers, etc.
>>
>> This is not a commercial project, but an educational software project
>> where I give it away for free. So, I would rather not pay, but I have
>> looked into Vimeo and the lowest rate of $7/mo could work. I’ve tried
>> YouTube and it has so many privacy issues. Also,  when the video ends it
>> displays unrelated material that would be distracting to students.
>>
>> I understand that any free service will probably want to grab users’ info
>> for marketing. That’s the world we are in.
>>
>> Buuut...... do you have a strategy that you could recommend?
>>
>> Best,
>> Bill
>>
>> William A. Prothero
>> http://earthlearningsolutions.org

Re: Best way to store videos

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
 YouTube is great these days. If you take the time to become a verified
subscriber all the world will be revealed to you. They have many tools and
they re-written the whole thing, and it’s pretty good. It’s also free. You
can make playlists and decide what happens at the end, and add links and
other text.

After you earn your stars and are good for a while they will give you these
privileges.

And as far as video streaming, they actually appear to be the best. They
are so equipped with their mirror servers all over the world.

I used to shun YouTube for several years because of their lower quality at
the time but now they’ve come up to do not only great serving but live
streaming as well.

You can create extra users. And it has a better social features.

  Vimeo streaming is still excellent but I like the extended distribution
that YouTube has.  And I have to pay over $100 a year to be able to upload
the quality I want quickly.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 12:20 Tom Glod via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> just fyi......you can disable to recommened videos in the embedd code......
> you can also detect via java script when the video ends. so you really have
> more control than you think.  just got to send script to the browser .....
> "do in widget".
>
> I haven't done anything crazy ...but i know that there is more control than
> what is obvious at first.
>
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 3:12 PM William Prothero via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Folks:
> > I have numerous videos that I would like to play on a wordpress web site,
> > and in livecode. I don’t want to host these on my own server for obvious
> > reasons of bandwidth, support for different browsers, etc.
> >
> > This is not a commercial project, but an educational software project
> > where I give it away for free. So, I would rather not pay, but I have
> > looked into Vimeo and the lowest rate of $7/mo could work. I’ve tried
> > YouTube and it has so many privacy issues. Also,  when the video ends it
> > displays unrelated material that would be distracting to students.
> >
> > I understand that any free service will probably want to grab users’ info
> > for marketing. That’s the world we are in.
> >
> > Buuut...... do you have a strategy that you could recommend?
> >
> > Best,
> > Bill
> >
> > William A. Prothero
> > http://earthlearningsolutions.org

Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

Re: Best way to store videos

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
Bill,

You could also look at Amazon AWS S3 storage.

It’s pretty much free for the first year. Then, depending on usage, could be only a few dollars a month.

https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/

Videos could then be played directly in a Livecode player control, as well as on your website. One of the benefits of the LC player is that you can program events to happen in response to particular timings set in the video—callbacks. This is great for pedagogy—synchronized subtitles, comments, animations as a video (or audio) plays.

Peter

> On Aug 23, 2018, at 12:47 PM, Stephen Barncard via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> YouTube is great these days. If you take the time to become a verified
> subscriber all the world will be revealed to you. They have many tools and
> they re-written the whole thing, and it’s pretty good. It’s also free. You
> can make playlists and decide what happens at the end, and add links and
> other text.
>
> After you earn your stars and are good for a while they will give you these
> privileges.
>
> And as far as video streaming, they actually appear to be the best. They
> are so equipped with their mirror servers all over the world.
>
> I used to shun YouTube for several years because of their lower quality at
> the time but now they’ve come up to do not only great serving but live
> streaming as well.
>
> You can create extra users. And it has a better social features.
>
>  Vimeo streaming is still excellent but I like the extended distribution
> that YouTube has.  And I have to pay over $100 a year to be able to upload
> the quality I want quickly.
>
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 12:20 Tom Glod via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> just fyi......you can disable to recommened videos in the embedd code......
>> you can also detect via java script when the video ends. so you really have
>> more control than you think.  just got to send script to the browser .....
>> "do in widget".
>>
>> I haven't done anything crazy ...but i know that there is more control than
>> what is obvious at first.
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 3:12 PM William Prothero via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Folks:
>>> I have numerous videos that I would like to play on a wordpress web site,
>>> and in livecode. I don’t want to host these on my own server for obvious
>>> reasons of bandwidth, support for different browsers, etc.
>>>
>>> This is not a commercial project, but an educational software project
>>> where I give it away for free. So, I would rather not pay, but I have
>>> looked into Vimeo and the lowest rate of $7/mo could work. I’ve tried
>>> YouTube and it has so many privacy issues. Also,  when the video ends it
>>> displays unrelated material that would be distracting to students.
>>>
>>> I understand that any free service will probably want to grab users’ info
>>> for marketing. That’s the world we are in.
>>>
>>> Buuut...... do you have a strategy that you could recommend?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Bill
>>>
>>> William A. Prothero
>>> http://earthlearningsolutions.org

> Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
> mixstream.org

Re: Best way to store videos

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
Peter,
That sounds like a good idea. What has worried me, though, is that it can be a pain to implement the code that lets the video be played on any of the many browser variations. With Youtube or Vimeo, they take care of making the video play on any browser.

That is, unless the technology for making videos cross-platform has improved and I’m not aware of it.

Best,
Bill

> On Aug 23, 2018, at 1:43 PM, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bill,
>
> You could also look at Amazon AWS S3 storage.
>
> It’s pretty much free for the first year. Then, depending on usage, could be only a few dollars a month.
>
> https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/
>
> Videos could then be played directly in a Livecode player control, as well as on your website. One of the benefits of the LC player is that you can program events to happen in response to particular timings set in the video—callbacks. This is great for pedagogy—synchronized subtitles, comments, animations as a video (or audio) plays.
>
> Peter
>
>> On Aug 23, 2018, at 12:47 PM, Stephen Barncard via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> YouTube is great these days. If you take the time to become a verified
>> subscriber all the world will be revealed to you. They have many tools and
>> they re-written the whole thing, and it’s pretty good. It’s also free. You
>> can make playlists and decide what happens at the end, and add links and
>> other text.
>>
>> After you earn your stars and are good for a while they will give you these
>> privileges.
>>
>> And as far as video streaming, they actually appear to be the best. They
>> are so equipped with their mirror servers all over the world.
>>
>> I used to shun YouTube for several years because of their lower quality at
>> the time but now they’ve come up to do not only great serving but live
>> streaming as well.
>>
>> You can create extra users. And it has a better social features.
>>
>> Vimeo streaming is still excellent but I like the extended distribution
>> that YouTube has.  And I have to pay over $100 a year to be able to upload
>> the quality I want quickly.
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 12:20 Tom Glod via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> just fyi......you can disable to recommened videos in the embedd code......
>>> you can also detect via java script when the video ends. so you really have
>>> more control than you think.  just got to send script to the browser .....
>>> "do in widget".
>>>
>>> I haven't done anything crazy ...but i know that there is more control than
>>> what is obvious at first.

>> Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
>> mixstream.org

Re: Best way to store videos

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
um... Peter.. streaming video is not just about having the storage space...
It's what the servers do to match up the devices calling with the
appropriate size and type file. Typically many versions of the same video
are created for each upload. The Vimeo and YouTube web apps handle all of
that.

Believe me I resisted for years and insisted on hosting my own video
content, but when the quality got to be HD for everyone, they dumped Flash®
and I figured out how one could turn off the ads, I was sold.

--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 1:43 PM, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bill,
>
> You could also look at Amazon AWS S3 storage.
>
> It’s pretty much free for the first year. Then, depending on usage, could
> be only a few dollars a month.
>
> https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/
>
> Videos could then be played directly in a Livecode player control, as well
> as on your website. One of the benefits of the LC player is that you can
> program events to happen in response to particular timings set in the
> video—callbacks. This is great for pedagogy—synchronized subtitles,
> comments, animations as a video (or audio) plays.
>
> Peter
>
> > On Aug 23, 2018, at 12:47 PM, Stephen Barncard via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > YouTube is great these days. If you take the time to become a verified
> > subscriber all the world will be revealed to you. They have many tools
> and
> > they re-written the whole thing, and it’s pretty good. It’s also free.
> You
> > can make playlists and decide what happens at the end, and add links and
> > other text.
> >
> > After you earn your stars and are good for a while they will give you
> these
> > privileges.
> >
> > And as far as video streaming, they actually appear to be the best. They
> > are so equipped with their mirror servers all over the world.
> >
> > I used to shun YouTube for several years because of their lower quality
> at
> > the time but now they’ve come up to do not only great serving but live
> > streaming as well.
> >
> > You can create extra users. And it has a better social features.
> >
> >  Vimeo streaming is still excellent but I like the extended distribution
> > that YouTube has.  And I have to pay over $100 a year to be able to
> upload
> > the quality I want quickly.
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 12:20 Tom Glod via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> just fyi......you can disable to recommened videos in the embedd
> code......
> >> you can also detect via java script when the video ends. so you really
> have
> >> more control than you think.  just got to send script to the browser
> >> "do in widget".
> >>
> >> I haven't done anything crazy ...but i know that there is more control
> than
> >> what is obvious at first.

> site,
> obvious

> it

> info

> > --
> > --
> > Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
> > mixstream.org

Re: Best way to store videos

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
Bill: If your video is a common format like MPEG-4, then any browser will play it.

Stephan: I’m aware of the streaming server versions issue. However, not all video content needs to be optimized—it depends on what it is and in what context it is displayed. But, it is true that Vimeo and YouTube handle format conversion and optimization, which is very nice, and one can embed a browser widget on a LC card to play it. Part of my point was that to create interactivity with the media, it would have to be in a format that a player control can use, which would necessitate appropriate files in media storage somewhere.

I should have noted in my earlier post that to use callbacks in an LC player in Windows, the media format needs to be WMV.

Peter

> [...]
>> You
>>> can make playlists and decide what happens at the end, and add links and
>>> other text.
>>>
>>> After you earn your stars and are good for a while they will give you
>> these
>>> privileges.
>>>
>>> And as far as video streaming, they actually appear to be the best. They
>>> are so equipped with their mirror servers all over the world.
>>>
>>> I used to shun YouTube for several years because of their lower quality
>> at
>>> the time but now they’ve come up to do not only great serving but live
>>> streaming as well.
>>>
>>> You can create extra users. And it has a better social features.
>>>
>>> Vimeo streaming is still excellent but I like the extended distribution
>>> that YouTube has.  And I have to pay over $100 a year to be able to

Re: Best way to store videos

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
Peter:
I had self-hosted a few small videos, all in mp4 format. I hadn’t checked many video players, tho, but when I changed hosting services, for my wordpress site, the video appeared offset to the right (same code as prev hosting), in the iframe. I couldn’t get it to view correctly, and gave up. However, the Youtube and Vimeo versions played fine. Then, googling around led me to a bunch of probably obsolete examples of what needs to be done to play videos on a wide variety of browsers. So, in my search for a solution that would work for both livecode apps and my wordpress site, I tried Youtube and Vimeo. Vimeo has a low cost plan of $7/mo, which would fit my needs.

So, I’ll probably go with Vimeo. But, it’s good to know that mp4 will play in all browsers.

Best,
Bill

> On Aug 23, 2018, at 3:01 PM, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bill: If your video is a common format like MPEG-4, then any browser will play it.
>
> Stephan: I’m aware of the streaming server versions issue. However, not all video content needs to be optimized—it depends on what it is and in what context it is displayed. But, it is true that Vimeo and YouTube handle format conversion and optimization, which is very nice, and one can embed a browser widget on a LC card to play it. Part of my point was that to create interactivity with the media, it would have to be in a format that a player control can use, which would necessitate appropriate files in media storage somewhere.
>
> I should have noted in my earlier post that to use callbacks in an LC player in Windows, the media format needs to be WMV.
>
> Peter
>

>> On Aug 23, 2018, at 2:05 PM, Stephen Barncard via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> um... Peter.. streaming video is not just about having the storage space...
>> It's what the servers do to match up the devices calling with the
>> appropriate size and type file. Typically many versions of the same video
>> are created for each upload. The Vimeo and YouTube web apps handle all of
>> that.
>>
>> Believe me I resisted for years and insisted on hosting my own video
>> content, but when the quality got to be HD for everyone, they dumped Flash®
>> and I figured out how one could turn off the ads, I was sold.
>>
>> --
>> Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
>> mixstream.org
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 1:43 PM, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Bill,
>>>
>>> You could also look at Amazon AWS S3 storage.
>>>
>>> It’s pretty much free for the first year. Then, depending on usage, could
>>> be only a few dollars a month.
>>>
>>> https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/
>>>
>>> Videos could then be played directly in a Livecode player control, as well
>>> as on your website. One of the benefits of the LC player is that you can
>>> program events to happen in response to particular timings set in the
>>> video—callbacks. This is great for pedagogy—synchronized subtitles,
>>> comments, animations as a video (or audio) plays.
>>>
>>> Peter

>>> and
>>> You

>>> these

>>> at

>>> upload

>>> code......
>>> have

>>> than

>>> site,
>>> obvious

>>> it

>>> info

Re: Best way to store videos

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
If you go with AWS S3 for storage and .mp4 for videos you can play the videos
directly in the LiveCode Player object and LiveCode has commands that allow
you to interface with the AWS S3 API. So you can create your whole app in
LiveCode without having to use the browser.   Search the LC 9 dictionary for
the commands that start with AWS and AWSS3 to see what it available to you.

Martin Koob

Re: Best way to store videos

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
Martin:
Thanks for the input.

What I need, though is to display the same video on a web page, or in a livecode app. It’s the web page in a wordpress site that is the real problem.
Best,
Bill

> On Aug 24, 2018, at 6:16 AM, Martin Koob via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If you go with AWS S3 for storage and .mp4 for videos you can play the videos
> directly in the LiveCode Player object and LiveCode has commands that allow
> you to interface with the AWS S3 API. So you can create your whole app in
> LiveCode without having to use the browser.   Search the LC 9 dictionary for
> the commands that start with AWS and AWSS3 to see what it available to you.
>
> Martin Koob
>

> --
> Sent from: http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Revolution-User-f278306.html

Re: Best way to store videos

On 8/24/18 8:16 AM, Martin Koob via use-livecode wrote:
> Search the LC 9 dictionary for
> the commands that start with AWS and AWSS3 to see what it available to you.

Mac and iOS only though. :(

Re: Best way to store videos

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode

> On 25 Aug 2018, at 5:44 am, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Search the LC 9 dictionary for
>> the commands that start with AWS and AWSS3 to see what it available to you.
>
> Mac and iOS only though. :(

mergAWS is Mac and iOS but LC 9 has a script library that is cross platform.

Cheers

Monte

Re: Best way to store videos

On 8/24/18 3:42 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode wrote:

>> On 25 Aug 2018, at 5:44 am, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Search the LC 9 dictionary for
>>> the commands that start with AWS and AWSS3 to see what it available to you.
>>
>> Mac and iOS only though. :(
>
> mergAWS is Mac and iOS but LC 9 has a script library that is cross platform.

Oh cool. :) I was trying out Tiny Dictionary and it isn't in there. Just
found it in the main dictionary.

Re: Best way to store videos

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
J. Landman Gay via use-livecode<https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=use-livecode@...&q=from:%22J.+Landman+Gay+via+use%5C-livecode%22> Fri, 24 Aug 2018 14:11:29 -0700<https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=use-livecode@...&q=date:20180824>

<[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Search the LC 9 dictionary for
the commands that start with AWS and AWSS3 to see what it available to you.

Mac and iOS only though. :(

mergAWS is Mac and iOS but LC 9 has a script library that is cross platform.

Oh cool. :) I was trying out Tiny Dictionary and it isn't in there. Just found it in the main dictionary.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]<http://hyperactivesw.com>
HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com<http://www.hyperactivesw.com/>

When using Tiny Dictionary in the option menu either choose "All" and search for "aws" or choose from the option menu "library.aws". If you start your search with a quote it will return whatever starts with "aws".
Of course this only works in versions of LC that offer that library. For the aws-library 9.0.

Kind regards
Bernd

Re: Best way to store videos

On 8/27/18 4:12 PM, Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode wrote:
> When using Tiny Dictionary in the option menu either choose "All" and search for "aws" or choose from the option menu "library.aws". If you start your search with a quote it will return whatever starts with "aws".
> Of course this only works in versions of LC that offer that library. For the aws-library 9.0.

I should have updated my comment so you wouldn't worry. :) I did find
the listings later. I was using the latest LC 9.0.1 when I wrote that,
but the dictionary hadn't updated from RC-1. I closed it and re-opened
it manually from the Plugins menu and the newer content appeared.

I'm not sure why it used old data when I launched the latest LC release.
I like Tiny Dictionary a lot, so I set it up to open automatically on
launch using the plugin settings. That's when it didn't update. Manually
closing and re-opening it worked.

Re: Best way to store videos

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote

> On 8/27/18 4:12 PM, Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode wrote:
>> When using Tiny Dictionary in the option menu either choose "All" and
>> search for "aws" or choose from the option menu "library.aws". If you
>> start your search with a quote it will return whatever starts with "aws".
>> Of course this only works in versions of LC that offer that library. For
>> the aws-library 9.0.
>
> I should have updated my comment so you wouldn't worry. :) I did find
> the listings later. I was using the latest LC 9.0.1 when I wrote that,
> but the dictionary hadn't updated from RC-1. I closed it and re-opened
> it manually from the Plugins menu and the newer content appeared.
>
> I'm not sure why it used old data when I launched the latest LC release.
> I like Tiny Dictionary a lot, so I set it up to open automatically on
> launch using the plugin settings. That's when it didn't update. Manually
> closing and re-opening it worked.
>
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay

That baffles me because Tiny Dictionary only "knows" the path to the
documentation folder of the currently running LC. Even when running multiple
versions of LC concurrently it will only ever use the path to the
documentation folder of that specific version regardless of whether it is
opened manually or automatically as a plug-in at launch.

If that should happen again, please tell me so.

Kind regards
Bernd