Quantcast

Recording audio with LC on OSX?

prothero--- via use-livecode
I want to record sound from within LC on a Mac – actually I want to get LC to speak some text and have it recorded to file (using Sound Siphon to capture it directly rather than via the inbuilt mike and speakers). Is setting the dontUseQT to false and going with ‘record sound’ the only option or is there another non Quicktime way?

Regards,

Terry...

Re: Recording audio with LC on OSX?

prothero--- via use-livecode
OK – looks like mergMicrophone is an option on OSX – I’ll give that a try.

Terry...

On 7/04/2017 12:04 pm, "use-livecode on behalf of Terry Judd via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    I want to record sound from within LC on a Mac – actually I want to get LC to speak some text and have it recorded to file (using Sound Siphon to capture it directly rather than via the inbuilt mike and speakers). Is setting the dontUseQT to false and going with ‘record sound’ the only option or is there another non Quicktime way?

    Regards,

    Terry...

Re: Recording audio with LC on OSX?

prothero--- via use-livecode
Hi Terry,

If you don't mind using a command line app from within your LC app, you
might try sox ( http://sox.sourceforge.net/ ). It is quite powerful and
seems simpler to me than ffmpeg ( https://ffmpeg.org/) which I have also
used from within LC. One of my apps uses sox to create voice recordings,
but I've never tried recording synthetic speech output.

Food for thought -
Phil Davis

On 4/6/17 11:12 PM, Terry Judd via use-livecode wrote:

> OK – looks like mergMicrophone is an option on OSX – I’ll give that a try.
>
> Terry...
>
> On 7/04/2017 12:04 pm, "use-livecode on behalf of Terry Judd via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>      I want to record sound from within LC on a Mac – actually I want to get LC to speak some text and have it recorded to file (using Sound Siphon to capture it directly rather than via the inbuilt mike and speakers). Is setting the dontUseQT to false and going with ‘record sound’ the only option or is there another non Quicktime way?
>
>      Regards,
>
>      Terry...

Phil Davis

Re: Recording audio with LC on OSX?

pink
Let me add a +1 on using sox, I have an app I wrote for Linux that records to mp3 and that uploads to our server on completion.

The one negative I have so far with it is that I need to specify recording length. Otherwise if I start recording without a time limit i cannot stop it.

Is there a way to "cancel" a shell command that is still running in LC?
---
Greg (pink) Miller
mad, pink and dangerous to code

Re: Recording audio with LC on OSX?

prothero--- via use-livecode
> Is there a way to "cancel" a shell command that is still running in LC?

Hi Greg,

You can do it  via another shell() call with the kill command.
Of course, you need the ID of the process you did started before.

Regards,

Thierry

Re: Recording audio with LC on OSX?

prothero--- via use-livecode
Thanks Phil – I’ll have a look at sox as that could let me get things working on Windows as well.

Best regards,

Terry...

On 7/04/2017 5:16 pm, "use-livecode on behalf of Phil Davis via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Hi Terry,

    If you don't mind using a command line app from within your LC app, you
    might try sox ( http://sox.sourceforge.net/ ). It is quite powerful and
    seems simpler to me than ffmpeg ( https://ffmpeg.org/) which I have also
    used from within LC. One of my apps uses sox to create voice recordings,
    but I've never tried recording synthetic speech output.

    Food for thought -
    Phil Davis

    On 4/6/17 11:12 PM, Terry Judd via use-livecode wrote:
    > OK – looks like mergMicrophone is an option on OSX – I’ll give that a try.
    >
    > Terry...
    >
    > On 7/04/2017 12:04 pm, "use-livecode on behalf of Terry Judd via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    >      I want to record sound from within LC on a Mac – actually I want to get LC to speak some text and have it recorded to file (using Sound Siphon to capture it directly rather than via the inbuilt mike and speakers). Is setting the dontUseQT to false and going with ‘record sound’ the only option or is there another non Quicktime way?
    >
    >      Regards,
    >
    >      Terry...

    Phil Davis