Recreating complex interfaces and/or field formatting on preOpenCard

Recreating complex interfaces and/or field formatting on preOpenCard

Alejandro Tejada
Hi all,

Today, reading the message of Kay C. Lan about
using cards in this platform:
http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2012-June/173131.html
I noticed that my knowledge about this platform needs a welcome update,
so I am asking all of you to provide some examples of recreating a complex
interface and/or a complex field formatting BEFORE the card is draw on screen,
that is using the handler "on preOpenCard".

I am intrigued by the new graphics capabilities added in recent versions,
but still have not seen a complete demonstration of these new and useful
features.

Have a nice day!

Al

Re: Recreating complex interfaces and/or field formatting on preOpenCard

Kay C Lan
 I too would like to see if anyone has done some amazing things with the
new field features. My own work with them have been nothing more than
rudimentary tests.

Re: Recreating complex interfaces and/or field formatting on preOpenCard

Ken Ray

On Jun 3, 2012, at 1:09 PM, Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Today, reading the message of Kay C. Lan about
> using cards in this platform:
> http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2012-June/173131.html
> I noticed that my knowledge about this platform needs a welcome update,
> so I am asking all of you to provide some examples of recreating a complex
> interface and/or a complex field formatting BEFORE the card is draw on
> screen,
> that is using the handler "on preOpenCard".

When 5.5 came out as a DP 1, RunRev made available for download a stack called "field_features.livecode" that had individual cards that demonstrated the new features of the text field. Although all of the code runs on 'openCard', it could just as easily run on 'preOpenCard' to hide it from the user before the card is drawn (although LC is fast enough that in this case 'openCard' was fine to show what was going on).

Not sure if that's still available for download, but if not, maybe RunRev could post it on RevOnline or on their site...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: [hidden email]
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/

Re: Recreating complex interfaces and/or field formatting on preOpenCard

slylabs13
Seems counterintuitive doesn't it? Do some stuff on a card before ever opening it? It's like saying drive to the store and get some milk before unlocking the driver side door. ;-)

Usually with a preOpenCard handler, if I want to hide what I am doing from my user, I just lock the screen or hide the stack, and then handle everything else in an openCard handler, but that is just my preference.

Bob

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 10:37 PM, Ken Ray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not sure if that's still available for download, but if not, maybe RunRev
> could post it on RevOnline or on their site...
>
> Thanks Ken, I PM'd Heather to see if that would be possible.

Re: Recreating complex interfaces and/or field formatting on preOpenCard

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Ken,

Ken Ray wrote
[snip]
When 5.5 came out as a DP 1, RunRev made available for download
a stack called "field_features.livecode" that had individual cards
that demonstrated the new features of the text field.
Although all of the code runs on 'openCard', it could just as easily
run on 'preOpenCard' to hide it from the user before the card is drawn
(although LC is fast enough that in this case 'openCard' was fine to
show what was going on).

Not sure if that's still available for download, but if not, maybe RunRev
could post it on RevOnline or on their site...
This would be great! Professional text formating is vital in many areas.

Alejandro

Re: Recreating complex interfaces and/or field formatting on preOpenCard

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Bob,

slylabs13 wrote
Seems counterintuitive doesn't it? Do some stuff on a card before
ever opening it? It's like saying drive to the store and get some milk
before unlocking the driver side door. ;-)

Usually with a preOpenCard handler, if I want to hide what I am doing
from my user, I just lock the screen or hide the stack, and then handle
everything else in an openCard handler, but that is just my preference.
Assembling a card on preopencard is useful for reusing the
same color jpg image in different ways (as card background, with crop,
with zoom, with inkeffects, in sepia tone, in black and white, etc...)
in the same card. If I remember well, each different use would
require import the same image many times. Or not???

Alejandro

Re: Recreating complex interfaces and/or field formatting on preOpenCard

Alejandro Tejada

Re: Recreating complex interfaces and/or field formatting on preOpenCard

BNig
Hi Alejandro,

look at the forum

http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11686

it is in the second posting. Of course you would need Livecode 5.5 to see the new features.

Kind regards
Bernd

Re: Recreating complex interfaces and/or field formatting on preOpenCard

Dave Cragg-2

On 4 Jun 2012, at 17:39, Bob Sneidar wrote:

> Seems counterintuitive doesn't it? Do some stuff on a card before ever opening it? It's like saying drive to the store and get some milk before unlocking the driver side door. ;-)

Is that the right analogy? I think of it more like putting on some clothes and putting my teeth in before answering the door (preOpenDoor). Not strictly necessary of course, but probably appreciated by visitors.

Cheers
Dave

RE: Recreating complex interfaces and/or field formatting on preOpenCard

John Dixon

Lovely...:-)  made my day !

> Is that the right analogy? I think of it more like putting on some clothes and putting my teeth in before answering the door (preOpenDoor). Not strictly necessary of course, but probably appreciated by visitors.
>
> Cheers
> Dave

Re: Recreating complex interfaces and/or field formatting on preOpenCard

slylabs13
It may not be entirely accurate, but it's entertaining nonetheless. ;-)

Bob

On Jun 5, 2012, at 3:37 PM, Dave Cragg wrote:

> On 4 Jun 2012, at 17:39, Bob Sneidar wrote:
>
>> Seems counterintuitive doesn't it? Do some stuff on a card before ever opening it? It's like saying drive to the store and get some milk before unlocking the driver side door. ;-)
>
> Is that the right analogy? I think of it more like putting on some clothes and putting my teeth in before answering the door (preOpenDoor). Not strictly necessary of course, but probably appreciated by visitors.
>
> Cheers
> Dave

Re: Recreating complex interfaces and/or field formatting on preOpenCard

Alejandro Tejada
Hi all,

slylabs13 wrote
It may not be entirely accurate, but it's entertaining nonetheless.
The previous exchange remembers me the amusing book:
The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pickwick_Papers

Now, back on topic, check the image that I posted, as an example,
of a simple interface. Visit this thread in Nabble to see the interface.

http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Recreating-complex-interfaces-and-or-field-formatting-on-preOpenCard-td4650198.html

As you notice, the same image appears 6 times with different sizes
and appearances.
It's possible to import a single image and create all 6 versions on
the fly?

Here is the original image from the example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Michelangelo%27s_Pieta_5450_cropncleaned.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Al

Re: Recreating complex interfaces and/or field formatting on preOpenCard

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Bern,

BNig wrote
look at the forum
http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11686
it is in the second posting. Of course you would need Livecode 5.5 to see the new features.
Great! This is really useful. :-D

Many thanks!

Al