Regarding Rodeo discussions

Jeffrey Massung
Let me prefix this with I like Jerry (we've shared code and random solutions
to problems), I think Rodeo is a great idea, I wish the Rodeo team all the
best, I welcome announcement email postings, and I know that Jerry and Co.
have tried to just answer simple questions (that have been asked) here and
redirect discussion to their site.

But this is getting a little out of hand. Rodeo is a [very good] product,
but it has little-to-no place being discussed on this forum. Aside from the
syntax, and the fact that Jerry makes it, it has almost nothing to do with
Rev. And, if I might take a moderately bold step forward, it may even be
considered a potentially competing product.

I'm just asking - as politely as I can - that Rodeo discussion (aside from
announcements) please be removed from this email list. I think 30-50% of the
emails I receive from this list in a given day not only nothing to do with
Rev, they are all about a single product. I'm quite confident that Rodeo has
its own webpage, its own forums, and likely its own email list. Can
questions/comments regarding that product be directed there, please?

I'd really hate for a flame war or some-such to develop from this, as it
isn't my goal. I'd just like the majority of the emails I get from this
subscription to be oriented towards the product I'm using.

Jeff M.

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

Jerry Daniels-2
Jeff, most folks have been directing questions to our discussion list. A few folks hadn't gotten the word however.

Thanks,

Jerry Daniels

Join the Rodeo discussion:
http://rodeoapps.com/discuss-among-yourselves-0

On Jul 25, 2010, at 7:56 PM, Jeff Massung <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Let me prefix this with I like Jerry (we've shared code and random solutions
> to problems), I think Rodeo is a great idea, I wish the Rodeo team all the
> best, I welcome announcement email postings, and I know that Jerry and Co.
> have tried to just answer simple questions (that have been asked) here and
> redirect discussion to their site.
>
> But this is getting a little out of hand. Rodeo is a [very good] product,
> but it has little-to-no place being discussed on this forum. Aside from the
> syntax, and the fact that Jerry makes it, it has almost nothing to do with
> Rev. And, if I might take a moderately bold step forward, it may even be
> considered a potentially competing product.
>
> I'm just asking - as politely as I can - that Rodeo discussion (aside from
> announcements) please be removed from this email list. I think 30-50% of the
> emails I receive from this list in a given day not only nothing to do with
> Rev, they are all about a single product. I'm quite confident that Rodeo has
> its own webpage, its own forums, and likely its own email list. Can
> questions/comments regarding that product be directed there, please?
>
> I'd really hate for a flame war or some-such to develop from this, as it
> isn't my goal. I'd just like the majority of the emails I get from this
> subscription to be oriented towards the product I'm using.
>
> Jeff M.

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

Mark Swindell
Another point of view.  Isn't Rodeo an adjunct to Revolution?  I can take my Rev stack and (in future with greater complexity) the translator will port it to a web-based interface.  All the posts I see on the list are headed with Rodeo.  They sort into a thread that I can delete or read as I wish.  It doesn't bother me in the least that the thread is about Rodeo.  It's some of the all-time best Rev people (Jerry, Sarah, et al) leveraging Rev into a new domain.  I can't say I fully comprehend it, but I took the jump and signed up to support the potential of the project.

In short, I really don't mind the posts here.  They all come in threaded and clearly labeled. Select/delete, or read.  My option.

Mark

On Jul 25, 2010, at 5:56 PM, Jeff Massung wrote:

> Let me prefix this with I like Jerry (we've shared code and random solutions
> to problems), I think Rodeo is a great idea, I wish the Rodeo team all the
> best, I welcome announcement email postings, and I know that Jerry and Co.
> have tried to just answer simple questions (that have been asked) here and
> redirect discussion to their site.
>
> But this is getting a little out of hand. Rodeo is a [very good] product,
> but it has little-to-no place being discussed on this forum. Aside from the
> syntax, and the fact that Jerry makes it, it has almost nothing to do with
> Rev. And, if I might take a moderately bold step forward, it may even be
> considered a potentially competing product.
>
> I'm just asking - as politely as I can - that Rodeo discussion (aside from
> announcements) please be removed from this email list. I think 30-50% of the
> emails I receive from this list in a given day not only nothing to do with
> Rev, they are all about a single product. I'm quite confident that Rodeo has
> its own webpage, its own forums, and likely its own email list. Can
> questions/comments regarding that product be directed there, please?
>
> I'd really hate for a flame war or some-such to develop from this, as it
> isn't my goal. I'd just like the majority of the emails I get from this
> subscription to be oriented towards the product I'm using.
>
> Jeff M.

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

Robert Mann
Ok, I did launch one of the latest big thread about rodeo, relaying the ending of the beta program.

I was aware of the tensions that showed up between Jerry's communicative enthusiasm and this list and possibly runrev, and I took the move thinking there was more pros than cons. It did attract attention and reactions. That means it DID interest quite a few people from this list. As you mention, it got out of control!

What does that MEAN? why is it so? Why is it bringing such NRJ around?

Well, yes! rodeo was thought of as an alternative to revMobile, and yes! it will probably offer a good alternative to revLets for wider "grand public" use, and again, rodeo grew from revserver and uses revTalk in the scripts.  So rodeo could well be just a piece of the revTalk puzzle, like dataGrids are.. tRev is... and so on.. and have a place here.

I must say also that I would hate rodeo to evolve too much out of revtalk since I beleive the major interest of it is that it sticks to revTalk language as much as possible (for another language we have Ruby on rails !!)

So I personnaly do beleive with my heart and mind, that there is a very strong relationship between runrev and rodeo and that this strong relationship is positive for all of us here, including runrev.

The major underlying issue is what is this list for? runrev exclusiveley.. or all revTalk related subjects?

One practical solution could be to clearly label topics related to a third party products like [rodeo]. I personnaly always label my topic in that way and feel it is a good solution to keep that list opened.

Should not this be an [OT] discussion?? I always wondered what OT means!! If somebody knows..

Robert Mann

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

Robert Mann
It could help if we had a commmon list of suggested [tags] to use as filters for topics and pass the word to use them. I'd really prefer that every datagrid question start with [Datagrid] and so on...
So far I used [OT] [datagrid] [audio] [rodeo]  what do you think?

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

mwieder
Robert-

Sunday, July 25, 2010, 7:49:30 PM, you wrote:

> It could help if we had a commmon list of suggested [tags] to use as filters
> for topics and pass the word to use them. I'd really prefer that every
> datagrid question start with [Datagrid] and so on...
> So far I used [OT] [datagrid] [audio] [rodeo]  what do you think?

AGH for a couple of reasons: first of all, if I had a question about
whether datagrids worked on Rodeo and wasn't sure if it should be on
this list or the Rodeo list, the subject line would look like

[OT][Datagrid][Rodeo] actual text

which would start to get unreadable very quickly. And my inbox would
start to fill up with [] tags even quicker. Second, many questions
that seem to be about one topic are actually about another: witness
the tRev on Win7 discussion becoming a thread about sockets, etc. It's
even harder on newbies because you have to have a pretty fair grip on
things in the first place to know what tags to insert, so it would be
a disincentive to asking questions.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

J. Landman Gay
On 7/25/10 9:43 PM, Robert Mann wrote:

> So rodeo could well be just a piece of the revTalk puzzle, like dataGrids
> are.. tRev is... and so on.. and have a place here.

No. Datagrids and tRev can be used within Rev and become an integral
part of the IDE. Rodeo is a non-Rev product that cannot be used with the
Rev engine. It is not an adjunct to Rev, and the apps it produces cannot
be used with Rev. When it is done reading your stack, its output is no
longer a Rev stack.  Rodeo can be used by anyone without needing a copy
of the Rev engine, and the only connection it has with Rev stacks is
that it can read them and turn them into something else.

That's really quite amazing and awesome when you think of it, and
people's excitement is palpable, but it isn't Rev.

> The major underlying issue is what is this list for? runrev exclusiveley..
> or all revTalk related subjects?

Rev exclusively. With perhaps occasional announcements about related
products.

HyperCard, SuperCard, Rev, MetaCard, and now Rodeo are all x-talk
products that each have their own list. I personally frequent three of
them and I know some people who read all five. This is not a generic
xtalk list. We do not discuss Lingo here either, which also began as an
xtalk language.

Sorry folks, but in the last few weeks there have been almost 350
messages about Rodeo, which is too much to expect Rev users to "just
delete," particularly when there is an existing venue already set up and
very active. I have been smacked in the face twice by Steve Jobs, once
with HyperCard and again with Rev, and I have no intention whatsoever of
writing iApps at this point. If I change my mind in the future, I know
exactly where to go: the Rodeo list.

I don't fault Jerry or Sarah in any way, they have consistently steered
folks to their own list every time a question comes up. They've been
incredibly professional and understanding about that and I love them
both. But this is not the Rodeo list and I think it's time for
interested parties to continue the discussion over there.

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

Jerry Daniels-2
Robert, et al.,

A Couple Observations

1. Rodeo posts often quickly become non-Rodeo posts

One of the more interesting aspects of the Rodeo posts of late is that a great deal of them are often not about Rodeo, but other topics that just get tagged onto a Rodeo-titled thread. Therefore, I think a greater impression of "Rodeo posts" gets created.

Today a post about Rodeo video spawned many posts about ScreenFlow. The same happened earlier in the weekend where a few posts were about Rodeo and 10 times as many ended up covering Mac vs. PC, different VM's people could use...you see my point.

2. Posts that come from genuine enthusiasm are beneficial

As was pointed out earlier, the Rodeo team only post significant announcements here, which actually tend to spawn very few posts, actually. (Btw, we make 10 times as many announcements on our own discussion list.)

Whereas non-team folks post questions, observations, enthusiasm, criticism, etc. as independent threads--to which Sarah and I respond--DO generate lots of posts.

It's actually nice to see folks excited about something. It gets the juices flowing. I should also mention that every post I've seen from anyone has always had the word "Rodeo" quite prominently displayed. I think everyone can read that. It's an easy word to spot.

Rather than take issue with innocent third parties who are enthusing—and on some days dominating this list with topics about Rodeo and non-rev products (like JQuery, HTML5, HyperStudio, FileMaker), maybe we should ask ourselves the following...

3. Why aren't there more posts purely about Revolution? Isn't that the real question, here?

Best,

Jerry Daniels

Follow the Rodeo discussion:

On Jul 25, 2010, at 9:43 PM, Robert Mann wrote:

> Ok, I did launch one of the latest big thread about rodeo, relaying the
> ending of the beta program.
>
> I was aware of the tensions that showed up between Jerry's communicative
> enthusiasm and this list and possibly runrev, and I took the move thinking
> there was more pros than cons. It did attract attention and reactions. That
> means it DID interest quite a few people from this list. As you mention, it
> got out of control!
>
> What does that MEAN? why is it so? Why is it bringing such NRJ around?
>
> Well, yes! rodeo was thought of as an alternative to revMobile, and yes! it
> will probably offer a good alternative to revLets for wider "grand public"
> use, and again, rodeo grew from revserver and uses revTalk in the scripts.
> So rodeo could well be just a piece of the revTalk puzzle, like dataGrids
> are.. tRev is... and so on.. and have a place here.
>
> I must say also that I would hate rodeo to evolve too much out of revtalk
> since I beleive the major interest of it is that it sticks to revTalk
> language as much as possible (for another language we have Ruby on rails !!)
>
> So I personnaly do beleive with my heart and mind, that there is a very
> strong relationship between runrev and rodeo and that this strong
> relationship is positive for all of us here, including runrev.
>
> The major underlying issue is what is this list for? runrev exclusiveley..
> or all revTalk related subjects?
>
> One practical solution could be to clearly label topics related to a third
> party products like [rodeo]. I personnaly always label my topic in that way
> and feel it is a good solution to keep that list opened.
>
> Should not this be an [OT] discussion?? I always wondered what OT means!! If
> somebody knows..
>
> Robert Mann

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

Chipp Walters
Wouldn't the fact Jerry is in CONSTANT CONTACT with Kevin at RunRev seem
like a natural governor for Rodeo discussions? I've known Kevin for many
years, and he wouldn't have a problem telling Jerry to get his own
listserv-- in an Edinburgh minute.

I don't follow Rodeo THAT much. It's for you Mac folks and until it has a PC
IDE, I'll probably just root it on from the sidelines for now. Even so, I
find it deliciously interesting as it, IMO, points the way to HTML5
development, which is JUST NOW only in its infancy. I suspect we'll someday
soon start to see a plethora of HTML5 IDE's and toolsets, and Rodeo seems to
have a pretty good head start on them.

So, unless RunRev starts developing HTML5 IDE's, there doesn't seem to be
too much conflict. If any of you need help in writing an email rules to
handle this, consider:

for Mac Mail:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Filtering-Junk-Mail-Using-Rules-on-Your-Mac&id=3257101

For Gmail:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6579

For Outlook:
http://www.slipstick.com/rules/

HTH.

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

René Micout

Le 26 juil. 2010 à 04:43, Robert Mann a écrit :

> Should not this be an [OT] discussion?? I always wondered what OT means!! If
> somebody knows..

OFF TOPIC ?_______________________________________________

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 07/26/2010 03:43 PM, René Micout wrote:
> Le 26 juil. 2010 à 04:43, Robert Mann a écrit :
>

>> Should not this be an [OT] discussion?? I always wondered what OT means!! If
>> somebody knows..
>>
> OFF TOPIC ?_______________________________________________

Yes 'OT' means off-topic.

Maybe we need to invent a new category for Rodeo; maybe 'TT';

Tangential Topic.

Certainly Rodeo does not look directly relevant to RunRev, even though
it may be relevant to those RunRev developers who want to float their
stuff elsewhere than where RunRev can currently float it.

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

Jerry Daniels-2
You would be surprised how many posts are tangential.

On Jul 26, 2010, at 7:53 AM, Richmond wrote:

> On 07/26/2010 03:43 PM, René Micout wrote:
>> Le 26 juil. 2010 à 04:43, Robert Mann a écrit :
>>

>>> Should not this be an [OT] discussion?? I always wondered what OT means!! If
>>> somebody knows..
>>>
>> OFF TOPIC ?_______________________________________________
>>

> Yes 'OT' means off-topic.
>
> Maybe we need to invent a new category for Rodeo; maybe 'TT';
>
> Tangential Topic.
>
> Certainly Rodeo does not look directly relevant to RunRev, even though
> it may be relevant to those RunRev developers who want to float their
> stuff elsewhere than where RunRev can currently float it.

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

slylabs13
If you make a rule you can delete anything containing the word Rodeo from your mail before it even gets to you.

Bob

On Jul 25, 2010, at 5:56 PM, Jeff Massung wrote:

> Let me prefix this with I like Jerry (we've shared code and random solutions
> to problems), I think Rodeo is a great idea, I wish the Rodeo team all the
> best, I welcome announcement email postings, and I know that Jerry and Co.
> have tried to just answer simple questions (that have been asked) here and
> redirect discussion to their site.
>
> But this is getting a little out of hand. Rodeo is a [very good] product,
> but it has little-to-no place being discussed on this forum. Aside from the
> syntax, and the fact that Jerry makes it, it has almost nothing to do with
> Rev. And, if I might take a moderately bold step forward, it may even be
> considered a potentially competing product.
>
> I'm just asking - as politely as I can - that Rodeo discussion (aside from
> announcements) please be removed from this email list. I think 30-50% of the
> emails I receive from this list in a given day not only nothing to do with
> Rev, they are all about a single product. I'm quite confident that Rodeo has
> its own webpage, its own forums, and likely its own email list. Can
> questions/comments regarding that product be directed there, please?
>
> I'd really hate for a flame war or some-such to develop from this, as it
> isn't my goal. I'd just like the majority of the emails I get from this
> subscription to be oriented towards the product I'm using.
>
> Jeff M.

Jailbreaking

Michael Kann
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/26/us_government_legalizes_iphone_jailbreaking_for_unauthorized_apps.html

-- watch for line breaks

Re: Jailbreaking

Michael Kann
Some more info:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/07/apple-loses-big-in-drm-ruling-jailbreaks-are-fair-use.ars

-- watch for line breaks

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Bob Sneidar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you make a rule you can delete anything containing the word Rodeo from
> your mail before it even gets to you.

I can also unsubscribe from the list, but I should have to.

Honestly, if I (and Jacqueline) are the only ones who are annoyed by it, and
everyone else is excited, then good for everyone else; I'm glad ya'll are
getting something out of the discussion. And this is the Rev team's
(Kevin's) email list, so if they don't mind, then I'll be quiet.

But Rodeo - aside from a single feature - has absolutely nothing to do with
Rev. I might as well post all my questions about Apache, PHP, and PostgreSQL
here as well (every day, constantly), since they are tangentially related to
On-Rev. There are other - more suitable - places for me to ask those
questions and get answers.

In case this is sounding harsh (unintended), let me please be very clear. I
think Rodeo is a great idea. I think Jerry is a great guy. It's hard being
an entrepreneur - especially in a niche market - and I loathe suggesting
anything that can potentially stifle a fellow programmer's progress. I wish
nothing but the greatest of successes upon the Rodeo team.

But, is it really too much to ask that if you have a question about Rodeo
(unless it related directly to Rev) that it be directed to Jerry, to the
Rodeo forums, or the Rodeo email list, where presumably everyone there is
interested in the comments/answers and there are even non-Rev users who can
contribute to the discussions than ensue from it?

It's also quite possible that this email list is really no longer about Rev,
but instead has just mutated over time into a chronically "OT" list where
long-time friends have become accustomed to staying in touch and cheering
each other on. If that's the case, then that's great, and there's nothing
wrong with that, it's just not what I'm interested in. ;-)

Jeff M.

Re: Jailbreaking

Michael Kann wrote:

> http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/26/us_government_legalizes_iphone_jailbreaking_for_unauthorized_apps.html
>
> -- watch for line breaks

Interesting.

If we get the freedom to run our choice of apps on a given hardware
system, will we someday get the freedom to run our choice of OSes on the
hardware we choose?

I trust Andrew Kluthe and I aren't the only people who daydream about
being able to legally enjoy OS X on hardware not made by Apple.

This is an interesting precedent, possibly the beginning of a deep sea
change favoring consumer choice....

  Fourth World

Re: Jailbreaking

David C.
>> Subject: Jailbreaking
>> To: "How to use Revolution" <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Monday, July 26, 2010, 11:48 AM
>> http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/0/26/us_government_legalizes_iphone_jailbreaking_for_unauthorized_apps.html

I guess then that my original iPhone that I paid *full pop* for back
in the day and have owned outright for over close to three years...
the same one that I went well over and above the requirement in
fulfilling the AT&T contract for, is finally okay to do with what I
want. <rolling eyes> After all, it is my property, right? </rolling
eyes>

Hummm... I finally got fed up with that entire scenario, so it's been
jail-broke, unlocked and running on T-Moble service without a contract
for a couple of months now.

<big sheepish grin> But don't tell anyone! </big sheepish grin>

Best regards,
David C.

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

Michael Kann
Jeff, Jack and Jacqueline,

Jeff wrote:

I might as well post all my questions about Apache, PHP, and PostgreSQL
here as well (every day, constantly), since they are tangentially related to On-Rev.

There are other - more suitable - places for me to ask those
questions and get answers.

--------------------------------
Jeff, can you post links to some of those suitable places? I'm sure many on this list would like to know where to post questions about Apache, PHP, and web databases.
--------------------------------

Jack, I really admire your marketing persistence. Whenever I see one of your posts I think of a Texas Flash Flood. No matter what, the water is going to go where it wants to go.

If you like blues, check out Austin's patron saint on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWLw7nozO_U

Mike

> > If you make a rule you can delete anything containing
> the word Rodeo from
> > your mail before it even gets to you.
>

> I can also unsubscribe from the list, but I should have
> to.
>
> Honestly, if I (and Jacqueline) are the only ones who are
> annoyed by it, and
> everyone else is excited, then good for everyone else; I'm
> glad ya'll are
> getting something out of the discussion. And this is the
> Rev team's
> (Kevin's) email list, so if they don't mind, then I'll be
> quiet.
>
> But Rodeo - aside from a single feature - has absolutely
> nothing to do with
> Rev. I might as well post all my questions about Apache,
> PHP, and PostgreSQL
> here as well (every day, constantly), since they are
> tangentially related to
> On-Rev. There are other - more suitable - places for me to
> ask those
> questions and get answers.
>
> In case this is sounding harsh (unintended), let me please
> be very clear. I
> think Rodeo is a great idea. I think Jerry is a great guy.
> It's hard being
> an entrepreneur - especially in a niche market - and I
> loathe suggesting
> anything that can potentially stifle a fellow programmer's
> progress. I wish
> nothing but the greatest of successes upon the Rodeo team.
>
> But, is it really too much to ask that if you have a
> question about Rodeo
> (unless it related directly to Rev) that it be directed to
> Jerry, to the
> Rodeo forums, or the Rodeo email list, where presumably
> everyone there is
> interested in the comments/answers and there are even
> non-Rev users who can
> contribute to the discussions than ensue from it?
>
> It's also quite possible that this email list is really no
> longer about Rev,
> but instead has just mutated over time into a chronically
> "OT" list where
> long-time friends have become accustomed to staying in
> touch and cheering
> each other on. If that's the case, then that's great, and
> there's nothing
> wrong with that, it's just not what I'm interested in. ;-)
>
> Jeff M.

RE: Jailbreaking

Lynn Fredricks-2
> http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/26/us_government_legalizes_
> > iphone_jailbreaking_for_unauthorized_apps.html
> >
> > -- watch for line breaks

Id like to know what the sources have been for this information - the rumor
sites have started their share of rumors based on very poor readings of
press releases or other information.

The only information I could find on the LOC site was this one:

http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2010/10-169.html

This does cover the use of handsets, but am I wrong or does this narrow the
scope of the kinds of applications that would be affected?

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software