Regarding Rodeo discussions

Re: Jailbreaking

slylabs13
You can tell the whole world now! :-) But I wonder then if Apple is going to be all that motivated to manufacture high quality computers after people can buy (or download) Mac OS X and run it on a dirt cheap PC? Sometimes we can shoot ourselves in the foot in the name of fair play. Please oh God let us not go back to the days of the Performa when Apple became convinced by all the pundits that it had to compete in the business place to survive! And where are those pundits today? Probably writing for a hollywood rag.

Bob

On Jul 26, 2010, at 10:15 AM, David C. wrote:

>>> Subject: Jailbreaking
>>> To: "How to use Revolution" <[hidden email]>
>>> Date: Monday, July 26, 2010, 11:48 AM
>>> http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/0/26/us_government_legalizes_iphone_jailbreaking_for_unauthorized_apps.html
>
> I guess then that my original iPhone that I paid *full pop* for back
> in the day and have owned outright for over close to three years...
> the same one that I went well over and above the requirement in
> fulfilling the AT&T contract for, is finally okay to do with what I
> want. <rolling eyes> After all, it is my property, right? </rolling
> eyes>
>
> Hummm... I finally got fed up with that entire scenario, so it's been
> jail-broke, unlocked and running on T-Moble service without a contract
> for a couple of months now.
>
> <big sheepish grin> But don't tell anyone! </big sheepish grin>
>

> Best regards,
> David C.

RE: Jailbreaking

Michael Kann
Lynn,

Not just a rumor:

http://news.google.com/news/more?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&ncl=drR8VIgeKFQSqMMtKh9sJVmfw0j8M&topic=t

-- watch line breaks

Re: Jailbreaking

slylabs13
Thanks Lynn. That was a good read. I was intending to jailbreak my 3G iPhone in order to tether it, but there is a little blurb there which says,

"Computer programs, in the form of firmware or software, that enable used wireless telephone handsets to connect to a wireless telecommunications network, when circumvention is initiated by the owner of the copy of the computer program solely in order to connect to a wireless telecommunications network and access to the network is authorized by the operator of the network."

I read that to mean that AT&T can still say that tethering is forbidden and I am still legally obligated to comply. <sigh>

Bob

On Jul 26, 2010, at 10:35 AM, Lynn Fredricks wrote:

>> http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/26/us_government_legalizes_
>>> iphone_jailbreaking_for_unauthorized_apps.html
>>>
>>> -- watch for line breaks
>
> Id like to know what the sources have been for this information - the rumor
> sites have started their share of rumors based on very poor readings of
> press releases or other information.
>
> The only information I could find on the LOC site was this one:
>
> http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2010/10-169.html
>
> This does cover the use of handsets, but am I wrong or does this narrow the
> scope of the kinds of applications that would be affected?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lynn Fredricks
> President
> Paradigma Software
> http://www.paradigmasoft.com
>
> Valentina SQL Server: The Ultra-fast, Royalty Free Database Server

Re: Jailbreaking

Neal Campbell K3NC
http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2010/initialed-registers-recommendation-june-11-2010.pdf

Neal Campbell
Abroham Neal Software
www.abrohamnealsoftware.com
(540) 645 5394 NEW PHONE NUMBER

Amateur Radio: K3NC
Blog: http://www.abrohamnealsoftware.com/blog/
DXBase bug reports: email to [hidden email]
Abroham Neal forums: http:/www.abrohamnealsoftware.com/community/

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Lynn Fredricks <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/26/us_government_legalizes_
> > > iphone_jailbreaking_for_unauthorized_apps.html
> > >
> > > -- watch for line breaks
>
> Id like to know what the sources have been for this information - the rumor
> sites have started their share of rumors based on very poor readings of
> press releases or other information.
>
> The only information I could find on the LOC site was this one:
>
> http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2010/10-169.html
>
> This does cover the use of handsets, but am I wrong or does this narrow the
> scope of the kinds of applications that would be affected?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lynn Fredricks
> President
> Paradigma Software
> http://www.paradigmasoft.com
>
> Valentina SQL Server: The Ultra-fast, Royalty Free Database Server

RE: Regarding Rodeo discussions

Lynn Fredricks-2
> > So rodeo could well be just a piece of the revTalk puzzle, like
> > dataGrids are.. tRev is... and so on.. and have a place here.
>
> No. Datagrids and tRev can be used within Rev and become an
> integral part of the IDE. Rodeo is a non-Rev product that
> cannot be used with the Rev engine. It is not an adjunct to
> Rev, and the apps it produces cannot be used with Rev. When
> it is done reading your stack, its output is no longer a Rev
> stack.  Rodeo can be used by anyone without needing a copy of
> the Rev engine, and the only connection it has with Rev
> stacks is that it can read them and turn them into something else.

I haven't been keeping as close of track of Rodeo as others have - but if
Rodeo takes Rev stacks and exports them as HTML 5, then Id say it does have
a significant role in the Rev universe. That does enable a very desirable
feature, and that could easily make the difference between a sale and a
non-sale for Revolution.

With our Valentina or Franklin 3D, what interfaces with Rev is what we talk
about, or what the value proposition is for Rev users. I wouldn't send out
posts about handling BLOBs with Director on the Rev list.

Maybe its just a matter of trusting Jerry and Sarah, knowing this is an
issue for some, make sure posts are at least somewhat relevant to Rev users
and the rest of us not sweating the small stuff.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software
http://www.paradigmasoft.com

Re: Jailbreaking

Neal Campbell K3NC
Its not allowed because its not authorized by the operator of the network,
which charges for that privilege.

Neal

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

Andre Garzia-3
There is a Rodeo list for those interested, I think here they could do
announcements and information regarding "rodeo transfer" but the threads
could then move to the other list or forum. This is being polite to all
non-rodeo users.

>From time to time we discuss and circle around threads here, this is
natural. Current flashy (in a good sense) thing is Rodeo, so even though it
is quicker and easier to just ask Jerry and Sarah question in this list,
people should post to their list instead. This will reduce the noise in here
keeping everyone happy, afteral, signing up with one more list is easy.

I don't think Jerry or Sarah did anything wrong answering questions but if
people start asking questions on the Rodeo list, they will still answer them
and noise here would reduce.

:D

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Lynn Fredricks <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > So rodeo could well be just a piece of the revTalk puzzle, like
> > > dataGrids are.. tRev is... and so on.. and have a place here.
> >
> > No. Datagrids and tRev can be used within Rev and become an
> > integral part of the IDE. Rodeo is a non-Rev product that
> > cannot be used with the Rev engine. It is not an adjunct to
> > Rev, and the apps it produces cannot be used with Rev. When
> > it is done reading your stack, its output is no longer a Rev
> > stack.  Rodeo can be used by anyone without needing a copy of
> > the Rev engine, and the only connection it has with Rev
> > stacks is that it can read them and turn them into something else.
>
> I haven't been keeping as close of track of Rodeo as others have - but if
> Rodeo takes Rev stacks and exports them as HTML 5, then Id say it does have
> a significant role in the Rev universe. That does enable a very desirable
> feature, and that could easily make the difference between a sale and a
> non-sale for Revolution.
>
> With our Valentina or Franklin 3D, what interfaces with Rev is what we talk
> about, or what the value proposition is for Rev users. I wouldn't send out
> posts about handling BLOBs with Director on the Rev list.
>
> Maybe its just a matter of trusting Jerry and Sarah, knowing this is an
> issue for some, make sure posts are at least somewhat relevant to Rev users
> and the rest of us not sweating the small stuff.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lynn Fredricks
> President
> Paradigma Software
> http://www.paradigmasoft.com
>
> Valentina SQL Server: The Ultra-fast, Royalty Free Database Server

http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

RE: Jailbreaking

Lynn Fredricks-2
> http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2010/initialed-registers-recomme
> ndation-june-11-2010.pdf

Thanks Neil!

One thing I notice immediately is that at least one of the not recommended
made it to the final list, but others did not. It looks like a lot of really
good ones got cut.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software
http://www.paradigmasoft.com

Jailbreaking Everything

Paul Looney
Richard,
I'd like to see everything "jail broken".

Next up:
The ability to order a GM car with a Ford transmission and a Mercedes
engine (especially the four cylinder, twin turbo, Diesel they have in
Europe and Canada).

This might spread beyond the US. Sarah could get a Ford Falcon with
mechanicals from a Holden Commodore.

Meanwhile in the European Union: Jan could get a Audi A8 with brakes
from a BMW 7i. Kevin could upgrade his next Bentley with seats from a
Ferrari. Hugh could get that wonderful Peugot suspension and put it
into...

Think I'll order a new Citroen catalog. Wonder if they still have the
2CV? Would be nice with the sound system from a ...
Paul Looney

On Jul 26, 2010, at 10:03 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Michael Kann wrote:
>
>> http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/26/
>> us_government_legalizes_iphone_jailbreaking_for_unauthorized_apps.htm
>>
>> -- watch for line breaks
>
> Interesting.
>
> If we get the freedom to run our choice of apps on a given hardware
> system, will we someday get the freedom to run our choice of OSes
> on the hardware we choose?
>
> I trust Andrew Kluthe and I aren't the only people who daydream
> about being able to legally enjoy OS X on hardware not made by Apple.
>
> This is an interesting precedent, possibly the beginning of a deep
> sea change favoring consumer choice....
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World
>  Rev training and consulting: http://www.fourthworld.com
>  Webzine for Rev developers: http://www.revjournal.com
>  revJournal blog: http://revjournal.com/blog.irv

ON TOPIC : A REV QUESTION! :-)

John Dixon

Hi...

I have put a stack together on a Mac using an 'English' Mac OS... The stack will run in France... I have just realized that there are a couple of 'Ask' commands littered about the stack that have 'Cancel' and 'OK' in the buttons...

Will 'Cancel' be translated into something like 'Effacer' when running under a French Mac OS ?

regards,

John Dixon

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

Jim Ault

When there are exciting developments in the Rev community, I like to
get the feel of the momentum and interest level.

Rodeo is most likely to be best understood by Rev programmers, and
where can you find them????
Not many places on the internet.

Further, I would say that very few on this list would know much about
this start-up since we would not op-in to the Rodeo forum/list.  Until
we know why and how many are interested, we would not bother to tune in.

In my case, I am interested in how the crew is getting along with
Rodeo, and I know how to filter the email list, reading only what I
want.  Because of the stream of interest by others, I signed up and
supported this effort.   I may never use Rodeo, but I am sure I will
learn a lot.

I think Rodeo is relevant to Revolution users.
Since the service will include 'transferring stacks' to web pages that
work the same way, this is another dimension to cross-platform.
Imagine students that are able to publish their stacks as a working
web page, not just a static 'print' document.

So now we are on the verge of compiling the same stack for Win, OSX,
Linux, Web.  Not a bad horizon.

I can see it for some of my client work, where they need to give
feedback but don't like installing apps/exe's

If "Rodeo" is in the title, just delete, just like the 'Mac vs PC'
threads, which are OK because we are tied to cross-platform work.

My two cents.
We have a rich, diverse community that is fun to support.
I don't feel that way about the Excel Developers List, or PHP, or
JQuery, etc

Jim Ault
Las Vegas

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

mwieder
I think Rodeo is much more on-topic for this list than something like,
say "Jailbreaking", which has absolutely no relevance.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com
JB

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

JB
You guys have spent so much time posting messages about
not posting messages about Rodeo I am beginning to think
Jerry is one of the best advertisers around by getting you to
talk about Rodeo while thinking you are talking about Rev.

And to make matters worse he even said the real question
is why aren't more people posting about Rev.

I already bought it so he sold me a long time ago.

-=>JB<=-

Re: Jailbreaking

mwieder
Michael-

Monday, July 26, 2010, 10:44:10 AM, you wrote:

> Lynn,

> Not just a rumor:

> http://news.google.com/news/more?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&ncl=drR8VIgeKFQSqMMtKh9sJVmfw0j8M&topic=t

Oh, right.
I forgot about the technique of using a news aggregator as validation.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

Michael Kann
Mark,

I think you are right.

The reason I posted the "Jailbreaking" link was that I thought it would be of interest to the people who paid $1000 (or was it $1200, don't remember) for the privilege of writing programs for the iPhone. Now we're onto Rodeo, which seems to be more interesting.

Mike

> say "Jailbreaking", which has absolutely no relevance.
>
> --
> -Mark Wieder
>  [hidden email]

Re: Jailbreaking

Michael Kann
Mark,

Do you think it isn't true?

Mike

> Monday, July 26, 2010, 10:44:10 AM, you wrote:
>
> > Lynn,
>
> > Not just a rumor:
>
> > http://news.google.com/news/more?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&ncl=drR8VIgeKFQSqMMtKh9sJVmfw0j8M&topic=t
>
> Oh, right.
> I forgot about the technique of using a news aggregator as
> validation.
>
> --
> -Mark Wieder
>  [hidden email]

Re: ON TOPIC : A REV QUESTION! :-)

xtalkprogrammer
Hi John,

No, the Cancel and OK button won't change automatically, but I think
you can set the labels of the OK and Cancel buttons in the Ask dialog
before showing it. Don't change the names, just the labels. I haven't
tried this myself.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Download the Installer Maker plugin for Runtime Revolution at http://qurl.tk/ce

On 26 jul 2010, at 20:17, John Dixon wrote:

> Hi...
>
> I have put a stack together on a Mac using an 'English' Mac OS...
> The stack will run in France... I have just realized that there are
> a couple of 'Ask' commands littered about the stack that have
> 'Cancel' and 'OK' in the buttons...
>
> Will 'Cancel' be translated into something like 'Effacer' when
> running under a French Mac OS ?
>
> regards,
>
> John Dixon

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Jailbreaking Everything

Phil Davis-5
<memoryLane>
I remember a magazine article from my youth (1960's) describing how
someone had taken a Fiat 600 and put a Porsche engine in it (I forget if
it was a 912 or 911 engine - either one would be quite radical). Now
THAT's a jailbreak I can appreciate! I guess it resonated with me
because I had a Fiat 600 at the time.
</memoryLane>

Phil Davis

On 7/26/10 11:16 AM, Paul Looney wrote:

> Richard,
> I'd like to see everything "jail broken".
>
> Next up:
> The ability to order a GM car with a Ford transmission and a Mercedes
> engine (especially the four cylinder, twin turbo, Diesel they have in
> Europe and Canada).
>
> This might spread beyond the US. Sarah could get a Ford Falcon with
> mechanicals from a Holden Commodore.
>
> Meanwhile in the European Union: Jan could get a Audi A8 with brakes
> from a BMW 7i. Kevin could upgrade his next Bentley with seats from a
> Ferrari. Hugh could get that wonderful Peugot suspension and put it
> into...
>
> Think I'll order a new Citroen catalog. Wonder if they still have the
> 2CV? Would be nice with the sound system from a ...
> Paul Looney
>

> On Jul 26, 2010, at 10:03 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> Michael Kann wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/26/us_government_legalizes_iphone_jailbreaking_for_unauthorized_apps.html
>>>

>>> -- watch for line breaks
>>
>> Interesting.
>>
>> If we get the freedom to run our choice of apps on a given hardware
>> system, will we someday get the freedom to run our choice of OSes on
>> the hardware we choose?
>>
>> I trust Andrew Kluthe and I aren't the only people who daydream about
>> being able to legally enjoy OS X on hardware not made by Apple.
>>
>> This is an interesting precedent, possibly the beginning of a deep
>> sea change favoring consumer choice....
>>
>> --
>>  Richard Gaskin
>>  Fourth World
>>  Rev training and consulting: http://www.fourthworld.com
>>  Webzine for Rev developers: http://www.revjournal.com
>>  revJournal blog: http://revjournal.com/blog.irv

Phil Davis

PDS Labs
Professional Software Development
http://pdslabs.net

Re: ON TOPIC : A REV QUESTION! :-)

René Micout
Hi John,

   set the label of btn "Cancel" of stack "ask dialog" to "Annuler" -- francisation dialogue

Bon souvenir de Paris
René

Monday, July 26, 2010, 11:43:33 AM, you wrote:

> The reason I posted the "Jailbreaking" link was that I thought it
> would be of interest to the people who paid $1000 (or was it $1200,
> don't remember) for the privilege of writing programs for the
> iPhone. Now we're onto Rodeo, which seems to be more interesting.

Ah. Thanks. Now I get the connection. But... this still has to do with
just the *legality* of it, not whether an unnamed company whose
initials are "Apple" could put code in the OS that would make other
apps incompatible.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com