Regarding Rodeo discussions

RE: ON TOPIC : A REV QUESTION! :-)

John Dixon

René

Thanks...

Regards

John Dixon

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

Michael Kann
Jacqueline,

I was wrong. I apologize. When the Rodeopalooza began on this list I sided with Jerry and Sarah. I made the comment that if all the posts were accurately labeled then anyone could decide which posts they wanted to read. Seemed logical enough. It is now clear that procedure is not working.

Mike

Re: Jailbreaking

mwieder
Michael-

Monday, July 26, 2010, 11:45:21 AM, you wrote:

> Do you think it isn't true?

Not the point at all. Using internet "news" sites, or worse, an
aggregator of internet "news" sites, as validation is only a step
above using Wikipedia as an authoritative reference.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

RE: ON TOPIC : A REV QUESTION! :-)

John Dixon

Mark...

Thanks for the tip... I'll try it

Regards,

John Dixon

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

Michael Kann
Mark,

I think this one has been flogged enough.

Mike

Re: Jailbreaking

Michael Kann
Mark,

I got confused and sent this message to a parallel thread. It applies to this one as well so I'll repeat it:

I think this one has been flogged enough.

Mike

> Monday, July 26, 2010, 11:45:21 AM, you wrote:
>
> > Do you think it isn't true?
>
> Not the point at all. Using internet "news" sites, or
> worse, an
> aggregator of internet "news" sites, as validation is only
> a step
> above using Wikipedia as an authoritative reference.
>
> --
> -Mark Wieder
>  [hidden email]

Re: ON TOPIC : A REV QUESTION! :-)

Devin Asay

On Jul 26, 2010, at 12:56 PM, René Micout wrote:

> Hi John,
>
>   set the label of btn "Cancel" of stack "ask dialog" to "Annuler" -- francisation dialogue
>
> Bon souvenir de Paris
> René
>

> Le 26 juil. 2010 à 20:17, John Dixon a écrit :
>

>> Hi...
>>
>> I have put a stack together on a Mac using an 'English' Mac OS... The stack will run in France... I have just realized that there are a couple of 'Ask' commands littered about the stack that have 'Cancel' and 'OK' in the buttons...
>>
>> Will 'Cancel' be translated into something like 'Effacer' when running under a French Mac OS ?

John,

Profiles work really well for this kind of thing. Just create a new profile for each object that needs a French label, in the object's property inspector, under the Profile section. Name the profile something obvious like "french". Make sure the new profile is selected in the inspector, then change the label property to the French label. Do this for each object that needs a French label. Then use the revSetStackProfile command to switch between the Master (default) profile and the French one for all objects in the stack that have the french profile:

revSetStackProfile "french" --switch

To switch back use:

revSetStackProfile "Master"

Regards,

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

François Chaplais-3
are you talking of the *pre-alpha* mobile rev release?
Who is fool enough to expect anything more than a promise for this?
Well, that's what I took it for. And I paid for it.
And, to be very precise, that was a promise by K. Miller himself for future development on mobile platforms (plural). I have paid for it and have not been notified of any update for several months, it seems to me.
So rather than barking at Apple, can someone answer where the mobile rev money has gone?
Not into Apple's pocket, I think.

Very best regards,
        François
Le 26 juil. 2010 à 20:43, Michael Kann a écrit :

> Mark,
>
> I think you are right.
>
> The reason I posted the "Jailbreaking" link was that I thought it would be of interest to the people who paid $1000 (or was it $1200, don't remember) for the privilege of writing programs for the iPhone. Now we're onto Rodeo, which seems to be more interesting.
>
> Mike

Francois,

I don't know anything about the status of mobile rev, so I'll have to let the experts comment on that. For some reason, it seems like Mark and I have gotten on each other's nerves this afternoon, so I wouldn't put too much stock in what either of us have said in the last few posts.

Mike

> Who is fool enough to expect anything more than a promise
> for this?
> Well, that's what I took it for. And I paid for it.
> And, to be very precise, that was a promise by K. Miller
> himself for future development on mobile platforms (plural).
> I have paid for it and have not been notified of any update
> for several months, it seems to me.
> So rather than barking at Apple, can someone answer where
> the mobile rev money has gone?
> Not into Apple's pocket, I think.
>
> Very best regards,
>     François
> Le 26 juil. 2010 à 20:43, Michael Kann a écrit :
>
> > Mark,
> >
> > I think you are right.
> >
> > The reason I posted the "Jailbreaking" link was that I
> thought it would be of interest to the people who paid $1000
> (or was it $1200, don't remember) for the privilege of
> writing programs for the iPhone. Now we're onto Rodeo, which
> seems to be more interesting.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > --- On Mon, 7/26/10, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> From: Mark Wieder <[hidden email]>
> >> Subject: Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions
> >> To: "How to use Revolution" <[hidden email]>
> >> Date: Monday, July 26, 2010, 1:32 PM
> >> I think Rodeo is much more on-topic
> >> for this list than something like,
> >> say "Jailbreaking", which has absolutely no
> relevance.
> >>
> >> --
> >> -Mark Wieder
> >> [hidden email]

Re: ON TOPIC : A REV QUESTION! :-)

Andre Garzia-3
:-O

never used profiles before... cool...

Thanks for the tip

http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

Andre Garzia-3
François,

I think roadmap messages are sent just to improve list as only enterprise
users gets those notices.

Andre

Le 26 juil. 2010 à 22:28, Andre Garzia a écrit :

> François,
>
> I think roadmap messages are sent just to improve list as only enterprise
> users gets those notices.

I was talking about links to an a downloadable update. I used to receive those.
Best,
        françois

Re: ON TOPIC : A REV QUESTION! :-)

François Chaplais-3
great. Never understood the stuff before. This message is now flagged in my mailbox.
Le 26 juil. 2010 à 22:22, Andre Garzia a écrit :

> :-O
>
> never used profiles before... cool...
>
> Thanks for the tip
>
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Devin Asay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 26, 2010, at 12:56 PM, René Micout wrote:
>>
>>> Hi John,
>>>
>>>  set the label of btn "Cancel" of stack "ask dialog" to "Annuler" --
>> francisation dialogue
>>>
>>> Bon souvenir de Paris
>>> René

>> stack will run in France... I have just realized that there are a couple of
>> 'Ask' commands littered about the stack that have 'Cancel' and 'OK' in the
>> buttons...

>> under a French Mac OS ?
>>
>> John,
>>
>> Profiles work really well for this kind of thing. Just create a new profile
>> for each object that needs a French label, in the object's property
>> inspector, under the Profile section. Name the profile something obvious
>> like "french". Make sure the new profile is selected in the inspector, then
>> change the label property to the French label. Do this for each object that
>> needs a French label. Then use the revSetStackProfile command to switch
>> between the Master (default) profile and the French one for all objects in
>> the stack that have the french profile:
>>
>> revSetStackProfile "french" --switch
>>
>> To switch back use:
>>
>> revSetStackProfile "Master"
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Devin
>>
>> Devin Asay
>> Humanities Technology and Research Support Center
>> Brigham Young University

> http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

mwieder
Mike-

Monday, July 26, 2010, 1:08:17 PM, you wrote:

> Francois,

> I don't know anything about the status of mobile rev, so I'll
> have to let the experts comment on that. For some reason, it seems
> like Mark and I have gotten on each other's nerves this afternoon,
> so I wouldn't put too much stock in what either of us have said in
> the last few posts.

Just to set the record straight publicly, this definitely has not
"gotten on my nerves". I probably shouldn't have responded to the
trolling, but I couldn't resist. From my part, this was just OT
bantering - I want to apologize if it's gotten your hackles up
(whatever they are - have to go look this up), because it wasn't the
intent at all.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

Robert Mann
...a SUMMARY !

1) rodeo is great stuff we all agree, it is connected to rev, but also "tangential" stuff.

2) for start up it was ok to communicate here, it got "the juice flowing". Also, on a practical basis, rodeo does not have a true forum. Just a blog with a comment list. That could explain.

3) some people feel we have too much of rodeo here, some others feel we have too little of rev.

It may well have something to do with the lack of communication of runrev. Kevin Miller and Jerry Daniels have very different approaches. The "flowing fruity juice" of rodeo underlines, by contrast, how the juice is for the time being not flowing from runrev. This is particularly "sensitive" to early adopters of on-rev, revlets and last but not least revMobile which triggered a nice momentum at a time, but still with a rather "timid" communication policy, not far from the "secrecy" policy of our great Brother Stevie.

Hence the OT sub discussion here about jailbreaking... which appeared to be disconnected.. but, not so much after all..

Some of that stopped momentum has been caught up by rodeo. Early revMobile supporters who, for some reason do not want or can't jump in rodeo, might accumulate a little bit of ressentment as time goes, by without news from runrev. This could explain 53 msg on the topic... no?

Up to a point I remember me thinking.. hey.. Kevin could have offered revMobile founders a rodeo account!!
This accounts of the frustration I got, feeling a more fruity juice coming from runrev last year, and then, pfff.; no more juice.

To make the point, I was curious enough to go to the the runrev blog read the article on android. In the last paragraph, we learn that rev will see how it can basically step along the latest squeak inspired android development for dummies environment; And closes with "All in all very exciting times. Stay tuned for more on our Android strategy soon." That is all we got from runrev on the subject since 10th may. Exciting times?
On its own its could be a great piece of news. But in the context, that is ALL the news we got! and that leaves me.. "floating in the air"

4) This runrev list is a fantastic place of sharing (thanks Rene for the french ok trick...)

- i'm confident that we all got the message that rodeo discussion have their OWN place, AND that regular annoucment of rodeo progress will be made here also.

- Id' really like to hear more from runrev here too... (volunteers for a community song "we love you too Kevin!" ??)   And particularly in the style of rodeo... things like

"Hi folks, we listened to you! so we're putting up a running audio updating month. Volunteers welcomed for helping analyse problems, dervive solutions and test our implementations on all platforms as fast as possible, we'll give you a link for a special audio-forum, and see you in a month time for the the first audio update!"

Would'nt that be an exciting time?

I listend to the initial msg of this thread : BACK TO RUNREV !!
We love you Kevin and we'd like to hear from you!

My analysis and prayer...
Robert

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

Kevin Miller
On 27/07/2010 13:37, "Robert Mann" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To make the point, I was curious enough to go to the the runrev blog read
> the article on android. In the last paragraph, we learn that rev will see
> how it can basically step along the latest squeak inspired android
> development for dummies environment; And closes with "All in all very
> exciting times. Stay tuned for more on our Android strategy soon." That is
> all we got from runrev on the subject since 10th may. Exciting times?
> On its own its could be a great piece of news. But in the context, that is
> ALL the news we got! and that leaves me.. "floating in the air"

The blog post was made the week before last, not 10th may!

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller ~ [hidden email] ~ http://www.runrev.com/
RunRev - Software construction for everyone

Re: Regarding Rodeo discussions

Jerry Daniels-2
Robert,

You, sir, are a true chronicler of our times and you answered the question I posed yesterday. Bravo!

As a reminder to others, the year is 2010, not 1910. CEOs email customers directly. Developers take turns handling support questions. Everything becomes a Tweet.

Thank you,

Jerry Daniels

Follow the Rodeo discussion:
http://rodeoapps.com/discuss-among-yourselves-0

Robert Mann wrote:

> To make the point, I was curious enough to go to the the runrev blog read
> the article on android. In the last paragraph, we learn that rev will see
> how it can basically step along the latest squeak inspired android
> development for dummies environment; And closes with "All in all very
> exciting times. Stay tuned for more on our Android strategy soon." That is
> all we got from runrev on the subject since 10th may. Exciting times?
> On its own its could be a great piece of news. But in the context, that is
> ALL the news we got! and that leaves me.. "floating in the air"

July 14:
<http://www.runrev.com/company/runrev-blog/>

After Apple's iOS SDK debacle, I think we can all appreciate the
sensitivity to minimizing public commitments on products still in an
early stage of development.

> - Id' really like to hear more from runrev here too... (volunteers for a
> community song "we love you too Kevin!" ??)   And particularly in the style
> of rodeo... things like
>
> "Hi folks, we listened to you! so we're putting up a running audio updating
> month. Volunteers welcomed for helping analyse problems, dervive solutions
> and test our implementations on all platforms as fast as possible..."

Volunteers are quite welcome.  I'm one of them.

Seen some of my recent posts?  While Kevin himself is a bit busy making
the stuff that drives this list, on this user-to-user list I've taken up
a modest role as a sort of liaison between the development team and the
Linux fans here, working with others here to coordinate solutions as you
describe, and posting updates about progress at RunRev Ltd. with Kevin's
permission. My most recent one included screen shots fresh from the
development team just yesterday morning.

Sure, there's a lot more to the Rev world than the desktop, but at the
moment it's still the core product and the reason most of us are here.

Indeed, with more than a quarter million apps in Apple's App Store, even
my modest Rev-based desktop apps bring in more revenue than all but the
top 100 performers there, and I'm not alone in the Rev community on that.

Yes, mobile will be a big thing, and in some respects it is already.
But Apple pulled the plug on Rev's significant progress with iOS, and
Android is such a different beast that one can reasonably expect it to
take a bit of time to start over with a focus on that platform.

In the meantime there remain at least a million untapped opportunities
on the desktop, and the Rev engine we have in hand right now can help us
exploit those.

Consider this:

    In 2008 there were 131 million smartphones sold worldwide.
    By 2013, the number of smartphones sold annually is expected
    to top 300 million.
<http://www.i4u.com/article25633.html>

    The number of installed PCs worldwide has surpassed 1 billion
    units, according to Gartner, Inc. Gartner analysts estimate
    the worldwide installed base of PCs is growing just under 12
    percent annually. At that pace, it will surpass 2 billion
    units by early 2014.
<http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=703807>

And the average price of computer software is a bit higher than $0.99.

Opportunities abound, and will continue to for years to come, even as
form factors diversify.  Better still, Rev will allow us to deploy to
most of them regardless of form factor, just as we can now to the vast
majority enjoying desktops, laptops, nettops, and netbooks.

Sure, it'd be nice if Kevin had more time to spend here, but with
everything going on in their office I'm just as glad to see him focus on
making new stuff for me. :)

  Fourth World