Remote debugger

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
I jumped all over this right away. I set a breakpoint in a test stack,
tethered my phone to the Mac, and clicked the Test button.

My button script:

on mouseUp
   get "Testing"
   put it into fld 1 -- breakpoint set here
end mouseUP

The app launched on my phone and the script stopped executing at the
right place (nothing went into fld 1) but I wasn't asked if I wanted to
start a debugging session and the IDE didn't go into debug mode.

Is there something else I need to do to in the stack to activate remote
debugging?

Samsung S4, Android 5.0.1

Re: Remote debugger

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Hi Jacque,

Make sure you add the remote debugger inclusion in Inclusions pane. This
should not be necessary in the IDE, but currently you maybe have to do it.

Best,
Panos

On 24 Feb 2017 05:45, "J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I jumped all over this right away. I set a breakpoint in a test stack,
> tethered my phone to the Mac, and clicked the Test button.
>
> My button script:
>
> on mouseUp
>   get "Testing"
>   put it into fld 1 -- breakpoint set here
> end mouseUP
>
> The app launched on my phone and the script stopped executing at the right
> place (nothing went into fld 1) but I wasn't asked if I wanted to start a
> debugging session and the IDE didn't go into debug mode.
>
> Is there something else I need to do to in the stack to activate remote
> debugging?
>
> Samsung S4, Android 5.0.1

Re: Remote debugger

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Hi Panos,

I did it both ways, with the remote debugger included and without, but
got the same results. It stops the app at the point where it should
activate and nothing else happens.

On 2/24/17 12:21 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi Jacque,
>
> Make sure you add the remote debugger inclusion in Inclusions pane. This
> should not be necessary in the IDE, but currently you maybe have to do it.
>
> Best,
> Panos
>
> On 24 Feb 2017 05:45, "J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I jumped all over this right away. I set a breakpoint in a test stack,
>> tethered my phone to the Mac, and clicked the Test button.
>>
>> My button script:
>>
>> on mouseUp
>>   get "Testing"
>>   put it into fld 1 -- breakpoint set here
>> end mouseUP
>>
>> The app launched on my phone and the script stopped executing at the right
>> place (nothing went into fld 1) but I wasn't asked if I wanted to start a
>> debugging session and the IDE didn't go into debug mode.
>>
>> Is there something else I need to do to in the stack to activate remote
>> debugging?
>>
>> Samsung S4, Android 5.0.1

Re: Remote debugger

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
How do the sockets communicate? My phone is on wifi, my Mac is ethernet.
They both go through the same router though.

On 2/24/17 12:21 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi Jacque,
>
> Make sure you add the remote debugger inclusion in Inclusions pane. This
> should not be necessary in the IDE, but currently you maybe have to do it.
>
> Best,
> Panos
>
> On 24 Feb 2017 05:45, "J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I jumped all over this right away. I set a breakpoint in a test stack,
>> tethered my phone to the Mac, and clicked the Test button.
>>
>> My button script:
>>
>> on mouseUp
>>   get "Testing"
>>   put it into fld 1 -- breakpoint set here
>> end mouseUP
>>
>> The app launched on my phone and the script stopped executing at the right
>> place (nothing went into fld 1) but I wasn't asked if I wanted to start a
>> debugging session and the IDE didn't go into debug mode.
>>
>> Is there something else I need to do to in the stack to activate remote
>> debugging?
>>
>> Samsung S4, Android 5.0.1

Re: Remote debugger

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Hmm I guess you have checked Script Debug mode, is that correct? Maybe it
is worth typing in the msg box "put true into grevdevelopment" and test
again. This will catch any silent failure in the IDE, if any.

On 24 Feb 2017 06:31, "J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Panos,

I did it both ways, with the remote debugger included and without, but got
the same results. It stops the app at the point where it should activate
and nothing else happens.

On 2/24/17 12:21 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi Jacque,
>
> Make sure you add the remote debugger inclusion in Inclusions pane. This
> should not be necessary in the IDE, but currently you maybe have to do it.
>
> Best,
> Panos
>
> On 24 Feb 2017 05:45, "J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I jumped all over this right away. I set a breakpoint in a test stack,
>> tethered my phone to the Mac, and clicked the Test button.
>>
>> My button script:
>>
>> on mouseUp
>>   get "Testing"
>>   put it into fld 1 -- breakpoint set here
>> end mouseUP
>>
>> The app launched on my phone and the script stopped executing at the right
>> place (nothing went into fld 1) but I wasn't asked if I wanted to start a
>> debugging session and the IDE didn't go into debug mode.
>>
>> Is there something else I need to do to in the stack to activate remote
>> debugging?
>>
>> Samsung S4, Android 5.0.1

Re: Remote debugger

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Debug mode is on (it always is, but I just checked again.) I set
gRevDevelopment to true, but no change. It acts like the phone script
stops at the breakpoint but the IDE doesn't know anything happened.

On 2/24/17 12:39 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:

> Hmm I guess you have checked Script Debug mode, is that correct? Maybe it
> is worth typing in the msg box "put true into grevdevelopment" and test
> again. This will catch any silent failure in the IDE, if any.
>
> On 24 Feb 2017 06:31, "J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Panos,
>
> I did it both ways, with the remote debugger included and without, but got
> the same results. It stops the app at the point where it should activate
> and nothing else happens.
>

> On 2/24/17 12:21 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> Hi Jacque,
>>
>> Make sure you add the remote debugger inclusion in Inclusions pane. This
>> should not be necessary in the IDE, but currently you maybe have to do it.
>>
>> Best,
>> Panos
>>
>> On 24 Feb 2017 05:45, "J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I jumped all over this right away. I set a breakpoint in a test stack,
>>> tethered my phone to the Mac, and clicked the Test button.
>>>
>>> My button script:
>>>
>>> on mouseUp
>>>   get "Testing"
>>>   put it into fld 1 -- breakpoint set here
>>> end mouseUP
>>>
>>> The app launched on my phone and the script stopped executing at the right
>>> place (nothing went into fld 1) but I wasn't asked if I wanted to start a
>>> debugging session and the IDE didn't go into debug mode.
>>>
>>> Is there something else I need to do to in the stack to activate remote
>>> debugging?
>>>
>>> Samsung S4, Android 5.0.1
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
>>> HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Re: Remote debugger

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
You need to ensure the internet permission is on for android. We probably should make that automagicial with the test button..

Sent from my iPhone

> On 24 Feb 2017, at 4:44 pm, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I jumped all over this right away. I set a breakpoint in a test stack, tethered my phone to the Mac, and clicked the Test button.
>
> My button script:
>
> on mouseUp
>  get "Testing"
>  put it into fld 1 -- breakpoint set here
> end mouseUP
>
> The app launched on my phone and the script stopped executing at the right place (nothing went into fld 1) but I wasn't asked if I wanted to start a debugging session and the IDE didn't go into debug mode.
>
> Is there something else I need to do to in the stack to activate remote debugging?
>
> Samsung S4, Android 5.0.1

Re: Remote debugger

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
The dialog asking if you want to start a remote debug session should occur
as soon as you launch the app, so if that isn't happening then something is
not working with the socket, I would imagine. Perhaps try with the phone
actually connected by USB to the Mac and see if that works?

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 6:54 AM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Debug mode is on (it always is, but I just checked again.) I set
> gRevDevelopment to true, but no change. It acts like the phone script
> stops at the breakpoint but the IDE doesn't know anything happened.
>

> On 2/24/17 12:39 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
> > Hmm I guess you have checked Script Debug mode, is that correct? Maybe it
> > is worth typing in the msg box "put true into grevdevelopment" and test
> > again. This will catch any silent failure in the IDE, if any.
> >
> > On 24 Feb 2017 06:31, "J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Panos,
> >
> > I did it both ways, with the remote debugger included and without, but
> got
> > the same results. It stops the app at the point where it should activate
> > and nothing else happens.
> >

> > On 2/24/17 12:21 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Jacque,
> >>
> >> Make sure you add the remote debugger inclusion in Inclusions pane. This
> >> should not be necessary in the IDE, but currently you maybe have to do
> it.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Panos
> >>
> >> On 24 Feb 2017 05:45, "J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <
> >> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I jumped all over this right away. I set a breakpoint in a test stack,

> right
> start a

Re: Remote debugger

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Some more instruction on this might be helpful - if there is a socket
connection, what port has to be clear?  Is the development machine supposed
to be listening for the mobile?  I have additional security on our network,
and on each endpoint, so that may need to be dealt with.

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 3:44 AM, Ali Lloyd via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> The dialog asking if you want to start a remote debug session should occur
> as soon as you launch the app, so if that isn't happening then something is
> not working with the socket, I would imagine. Perhaps try with the phone
> actually connected by USB to the Mac and see if that works?
>
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 6:54 AM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Debug mode is on (it always is, but I just checked again.) I set
> > gRevDevelopment to true, but no change. It acts like the phone script
> > stops at the breakpoint but the IDE doesn't know anything happened.
> >

> > On 2/24/17 12:39 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
> > > Hmm I guess you have checked Script Debug mode, is that correct? Maybe
> it
> > > is worth typing in the msg box "put true into grevdevelopment" and test
> > > again. This will catch any silent failure in the IDE, if any.
> > >
> > > On 24 Feb 2017 06:31, "J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <
> > > [hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Panos,
> > >
> > > I did it both ways, with the remote debugger included and without, but
> > got
> > > the same results. It stops the app at the point where it should
> activate
> > > and nothing else happens.

> This
> > it.

> > right
> > start a

> remote

> > --
> > Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
> > HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Remote debugger

On 2/24/17 2:36 AM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode wrote:
> You need to ensure the internet permission is on for android. We
> probably should make that automagicial with the test button..

Oh duh. Of course. I had overlooked the Android permission. Just in
case, I also added internet and TSNet to the inclusions. Are those
necessary too? I'm thinking probably not.

So I ran my test stack again and was blown away. This is one of the
coolest and most needed features we've had in a very long time. In my
current project I need to get the text of a long error result and was
about to write an ftp handler so I could move it out of the Android
sandbox to a place where I could access the text. Now I don't have to, I
can just get it from the debugger. This is amazing.

I'd suggest that documentation make it clear what permissions and
inclusions need to be set up. I'm not sure I'd make the permission
automatic, since the final standalone may not want that permission set
and the developer will probably forget to unset it, especially if they
didn't know it was turned on in the first place.

Re: Remote debugger

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
But if you wanted to continue developing an alternative way of remote
debugging, the open-source LC users would love you.  :)

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 2:48 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/24/17 2:36 AM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> You need to ensure the internet permission is on for android. We
>> probably should make that automagicial with the test button..
>>

> Oh duh. Of course. I had overlooked the Android permission. Just in case,
> I also added internet and TSNet to the inclusions. Are those necessary too?
> I'm thinking probably not.
>
> So I ran my test stack again and was blown away. This is one of the
> coolest and most needed features we've had in a very long time. In my
> current project I need to get the text of a long error result and was about
> to write an ftp handler so I could move it out of the Android sandbox to a
> place where I could access the text. Now I don't have to, I can just get it
> from the debugger. This is amazing.
>
> I'd suggest that documentation make it clear what permissions and
> inclusions need to be set up. I'm not sure I'd make the permission
> automatic, since the final standalone may not want that permission set and
> the developer will probably forget to unset it, especially if they didn't
> know it was turned on in the first place.

Re: Remote debugger

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Today I spent most of the day using a proximal debugger: a nit comb,
for the simple reason that as the weather has warmed up several of the
children
picked up head-lice from "somewhere".

When I saw postings about a "remote debugger" it cheered me up no end
after an awful day.

Thanks; what a lovely Use-list!

Richmond.

On 2/24/17 10:01 pm, Roger Eller via use-livecode wrote:

> But if you wanted to continue developing an alternative way of remote
> debugging, the open-source LC users would love you.  :)
>

> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 2:48 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 2/24/17 2:36 AM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>>> You need to ensure the internet permission is on for android. We
>>> probably should make that automagicial with the test button..
>>>
>> Oh duh. Of course. I had overlooked the Android permission. Just in case,
>> I also added internet and TSNet to the inclusions. Are those necessary too?
>> I'm thinking probably not.
>>
>> So I ran my test stack again and was blown away. This is one of the
>> coolest and most needed features we've had in a very long time. In my
>> current project I need to get the text of a long error result and was about
>> to write an ftp handler so I could move it out of the Android sandbox to a
>> place where I could access the text. Now I don't have to, I can just get it
>> from the debugger. This is amazing.
>>
>> I'd suggest that documentation make it clear what permissions and
>> inclusions need to be set up. I'm not sure I'd make the permission
>> automatic, since the final standalone may not want that permission set and
>> the developer will probably forget to unset it, especially if they didn't
>> know it was turned on in the first place.

Re: Remote debugger

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Thanks for the positive feedback. It was an interesting project but *hard* to debug when something went wrong.

> On 25 Feb 2017, at 6:48 am, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'd suggest that documentation make it clear what permissions and inclusions need to be set up. I'm not sure I'd make the permission automatic, since the final standalone may not want that permission set and the developer will probably forget to unset it, especially if they didn't know it was turned on in the first place.

We probably need a system of standalone settings dependencies for inclusions in general anyway ;-)

Cheers

Monte

Re: Remote debugger

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
I'm very late to this party.

Where is the documentation?

I set the inclusion, run test target my android → nexus 5  and the dialog opens "Do you want to start remote debugging" I say yes… click through my app on the phone until finally it crashes and quits. Dialog in the IDE opens "Remote debugging session ended"

OK, I did not set any break points… but there do we find information? any log file.

From the thread here I'm not seeing the original announcement/link to documention… sounds marvelous!

On 2/24/17, 9:48 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    I'd suggest that documentation make it clear what permissions and
    inclusions need to be set up. I'm not sure I'd make the permission
    automatic, since the final standalone may not want that permission set
    and the developer will probably forget to unset it, especially if they
    didn't know it was turned on in the first place.

Re: Remote debugger

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
So far, all I've found is the blog post:
<https://livecode.com/debug-your-standalones-with-the-remote-debugger/>

It's really great for debugging, a huge step forward. The only glitch I
found was that I couldn't figure out how to turn it off. I removed all
breakpoints and hit the Test button again. As expected, I didn't get the
dialog but the app on the phone just hung at the point where the
breakpoints used to be. I had to quit and restart LC and test again
before it behaved normally.

I didn't have the external embedded in the stack, since I was running
live from the Test button with my phone cabled to the Mac. I just relied
on the automatic debugging that happens with a cabled device.

On 3/3/17 11:07 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:

> I'm very late to this party.
>
> Where is the documentation?
>
> I set the inclusion, run test target my android → nexus 5  and the
> dialog opens "Do you want to start remote debugging" I say yes… click
> through my app on the phone until finally it crashes and quits.
> Dialog in the IDE opens "Remote debugging session ended"
>
> OK, I did not set any break points… but there do we find information?
> any log file.
>
> From the thread here I'm not seeing the original announcement/link to
> documention… sounds marvelous!

Re: Remote debugger

J. Landman Gay wrote:

    So far, all I've found is the blog post:
    <https://livecode.com/debug-your-standalones-with-the-remote-debugger/>

Thanks.

Seems easier for android because you can run test to the device on a tethered phone, but I can't do that with iPHone (or can we?) you can only test in the simulator….which doesn't always seem to behave exactly as it does on the phone itself.

9 dp5 looks good but is breaking gradients in  some of my graphic objects and corrupting the graphic completely..well that was happening before… it went away in 8.1.3 but is back now in 9…

Re: Remote debugger

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Nope I can’t get this working in iOS or Android :( however it does fire in the iOS simulator

http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=19367

Re: Remote debugger

On 3/4/17 1:58 PM, Dave Kilroy via use-livecode wrote:
> Nope I can’t get this working in iOS or Android :( however it does fire in the iOS simulator
>
> http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=19367

Looks like you fell into the same trap I did. You have to enable
internet permissions on Android. Not sure about iOS but you might try
making WiFi mandatory.

Re: Remote debugger

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Thanks Jacque - but I’m not convinced that’s it - I set that (for android) plus Internet, Remote Debugger - and have tried various combinations of including and not including tsNet - and have rebooted by mac and router … but I don’t think I tried making wifi required for iOS, will try that in the morning

One thing I am suspicious of however is gRevDevelopment - when I look at my menu sections in the IDE I can see it’s set, but when I check in the message box it show false - if I set it to true (via the message box or in code) then I can get the message box to report it as true, and it shows in the menus as true - but if I then save and quit and relaunch LiveCode it again shows true in the menus but reports as false via the message box! So I guess it’s likely that each time I build for iOS/Android its going out with gRevDevelopment set to false

And what is extra weird is that this behaviour of the gRevDevelopment not having much/any relationship to the settings in the IDE’s menus is the same in earlier version of LC 8, 7 and even 6

I obviously don’t understand what gRevDevelopment does!

> Looks like you fell into the same trap I did. You have to enable
> internet permissions on Android. Not sure about iOS but you might try
> making WiFi mandatory.
>
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email] <http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4712827&i=0>
> HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com <http://www.hyperactivesw.com/>

Re: Remote debugger

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
I have it working on ios, but I have found several bugs with it.  It's the
first try...

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Dave Kilroy via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Jacque - but I’m not convinced that’s it - I set that (for android)
> plus Internet, Remote Debugger - and have tried various combinations of
> including and not including tsNet - and have rebooted by mac and router …
> but I don’t think I tried making wifi required for iOS, will try that in
> the morning
>
> One thing I am suspicious of however is gRevDevelopment - when I look at
> my menu sections in the IDE I can see it’s set, but when I check in the
> message box it show false - if I set it to true (via the message box or in
> code) then I can get the message box to report it as true, and it shows in
> the menus as true - but if I then save and quit and relaunch LiveCode it
> again shows true in the menus but reports as false via the message box! So
> I guess it’s likely that each time I build for iOS/Android its going out
> with gRevDevelopment set to false
>
> And what is extra weird is that this behaviour of the gRevDevelopment not
> having much/any relationship to the settings in the IDE’s menus is the same
> in earlier version of LC 8, 7 and even 6
>
> I obviously don’t understand what gRevDevelopment does!
>

> > Looks like you fell into the same trap I did. You have to enable
> > internet permissions on Android. Not sure about iOS but you might try
> > making WiFi mandatory.
> >
> > --
> > Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email] <
> http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/user/
> SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4712827&i=0>
> > HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com <
> http://www.hyperactivesw.com/>

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."