Rev audio clips

Alejandro Tejada
Hi all,

After learning about the binary string produced
by compress(), i am curious to know if one of
the professional audio experts in this platform
have examined the converted audio clips
that Rev uses internally, after importing an
audio file.

By trial and error, you could isolate the audio
binary string from a saved stack. Then, analize
and compare with the original imported audio clip,
saved in different audio formats.

Thanks in advance!

Alejandro

Re: Rev audio clips

Richmond Mathewson-2
  On 18/05/2010 22:17, Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After learning about the binary string produced
> by compress(), i am curious to know if one of
> the professional audio experts in this platform
> have examined the converted audio clips
> that Rev uses internally, after importing an
> audio file.
>
> By trial and error, you could isolate the audio
> binary string from a saved stack.

Oh Yuck!

I made a new stack "ZOUND" and imported an AIFF
sound "ZND.aiff" into it.

I then cracked both the stack and the sound file open with
HexEdit:

http://hexedit.sourceforge.net/

and could NOT find the 'audio binary string' in the
stack.

Maybe I went about things the wrong way . . .  :)

>   Then, analize
> and compare with the original imported audio clip,
> saved in different audio formats.

Re: Rev audio clips

Stephen Barncard-4
Assuming that Rev stores audio file data sequentially in the first place,
one would have to search for a pattern of binary data AFTER the headers,
which would not be stored in the stack.  Check for where the headers end and
where your test data starts and just use a small sample to search for, like
the first 50 bytes..  Use a tiny sound for tests.

http://www.sonicspot.com/guide/wavefiles.html

http://www-mmsp.ece.mcgill.ca/Documents/AudioFormats/AIFF/AIFF.html

On 18 May 2010 13:02, Richmond Mathewson <[hidden email]>wrote:

>  On 18/05/2010 22:17, Alejandro Tejada wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After learning about the binary string produced
>> by compress(), i am curious to know if one of
>> the professional audio experts in this platform
>> have examined the converted audio clips
>> that Rev uses internally, after importing an
>> audio file.
>>
>> By trial and error, you could isolate the audio
>> binary string from a saved stack.
>>

> Oh Yuck!
>
> I made a new stack "ZOUND" and imported an AIFF
> sound "ZND.aiff" into it.
>
> I then cracked both the stack and the sound file open with
> HexEdit:
>
> http://hexedit.sourceforge.net/
>
> and could NOT find the 'audio binary string' in the
> stack.
>
> Maybe I went about things the wrong way . . .  :)
>

>   Then, analize
>> and compare with the original imported audio clip,
>> saved in different audio formats.

Re: Rev audio clips

Alejandro Tejada
Hi,

Download these stacks and this audio clip:
http://andregarzia.on-rev.com/alejandro/stacks/New_stacks_with_sample_au.zip

This compressed file contains 3 files:
1 new stack, created and saved inmediatly
without any change. (1k)
1 stack, created and inmediatly imported
the audio clip "sample.au" (138k)
1 audio clip "sample.au" from
Wikipedia.

After opening the stack (with audio clip)
and the audio clip in Hex viewer, i noticed
that almost the whole audio clip is "appended"
to the stack. Just like Steven wrote,
probably only file headers are left
out of the stack.

Now, more test are needed to verify
which other formats are appended
"as is" and which audio clips are
converted.

This is relevant, given than previously
in this mail list, someone ask about
how to export audioclips from Runrev.

Alejandro

Re: Rev audio clips

Stephen Barncard-4
RIGHT. But there's a way to go; what you are trying to do is go behind Rev's
back and obtain the data. Simpler with one audio file, but what if there are
hundreds?

One could find the start and stop points for audio data that Rev uses in the
files, find the parts that will be stripped, put them into the audioclip as
a custom property (yes audioclips have custom properties.)

Another way would be to tap into the IDE asset database to obtain the
location of this data.

I guess one could just get one to work, and copy single audio clips to an
invisible stack for export, then delete the stack.

Another way to do it that will work right now would be to import the audio
file as an audioclip, and at the same time save the same audio file into a
custom property *of* the audioclip.
Two copies; one to export and one to play. And will require no reverse
engineering or making wild guesses about what the API does.

Bloated for sure, but does it matter in this day of monster hard drives?
Creeps me out about the waste  though.