RevIgniter & current on-rev LiveCode server version

RevIgniter & current on-rev LiveCode server version

Keith Clarke
Hi folks,
Can any revIgniter expert please advise whether the current version of LiveCode Server installed on pancake.on-rev.com is compatible with revIgniter?

I've installed but getting 404 errors on the index.lc page under revIgniter and the user guide's troubleshooting section mentions a bug in some LiveCode Server versions.

I don't see any LiveCode server info in CPanel and can't find any documentation on how to check the server version from a .lc file.

Is there a statement similar to that used to check PHP parameters -  like 'put server version' ?
Best,
Keith..

Re: RevIgniter & current on-rev LiveCode server version

Robert Mann
Hi I confirm I do have the latest revIgniter package installed on the current on-rev, no problem. Hope you find the glitch.

Re: RevIgniter & current on-rev LiveCode server version

Keith Clarke
Hi Robert. Thanks for the confirmation that the on-rev LiveCode server version is revIgniter-compatible.

So, now I know it's something I've (not) done - but continued trouble-shooting is worthwhile, as it will work! :-)
Best,
Keith..

On 18 May 2013, at 13:21, Robert Mann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi I confirm I do have the latest revIgniter package installed on the current
> on-rev, no problem. Hope you find the glitch.

Re: RevIgniter & current on-rev LiveCode server version

Ralf Bitter-2

Hi Keith,

the bug mentioned in the user guide applies only to
installations on Lion and Mountain Lion. It is
fixed in LiveCode Server release: 6.0.0-rc-1 though.

This means, revIgniter should work on on-rev.com without
flaws. I would try to start with a clean root folder
without any Apache directives in .htaccess. Then all
you have to do (really) is to copy the files and folders
included to server root. Check your installation using
an URL like "yourSite.on-rev.com/index.lc".

Best

Ralf

On 18.05.2013, at 11:07, Keith Clarke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
> Can any revIgniter expert please advise whether the current version of LiveCode Server installed on pancake.on-rev.com is compatible with revIgniter?
>
> I've installed but getting 404 errors on the index.lc page under revIgniter and the user guide's troubleshooting section mentions a bug in some LiveCode Server versions.
>
> I don't see any LiveCode server info in CPanel and can't find any documentation on how to check the server version from a .lc file.
>
> Is there a statement similar to that used to check PHP parameters -  like 'put server version' ?
> Best,
> Keith..

Re: RevIgniter & current on-rev LiveCode server version

Keith Clarke
Hi Ralf - thanks for the clarification. I think my problem is confusion over the term 'root'

I have the choice of my document root - at 'myname.on-rev.com';
My account web-root at 'myname.on-rev.com/public_html';
My company web site at 'myname.on-rev.com/public_html/mydomain.com'
The sub-directory of that site, where I want to experiment with revIgniter - and where the index.lc file will reside - at 'myname.on-rev.com/public_html/mydomain.com/mytestfolder/index.lc

So far, I've been installing revIgniter bits into into (4), to avoid any risk to the rest of my company web site, but should I be installing into (1) or (2) and leaving the index.lc in (4)?
Thanks & regards,
Keith..

On 18 May 2013, at 17:10, Ralf Bitter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Keith,
>
> the bug mentioned in the user guide applies only to
> installations on Lion and Mountain Lion. It is
> fixed in LiveCode Server release: 6.0.0-rc-1 though.
>
> This means, revIgniter should work on on-rev.com without
> flaws. I would try to start with a clean root folder
> without any Apache directives in .htaccess. Then all
> you have to do (really) is to copy the files and folders
> included to server root. Check your installation using
> an URL like "yourSite.on-rev.com/index.lc".
>
> Best
>
> Ralf
>

> On 18.05.2013, at 11:07, Keith Clarke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>> Can any revIgniter expert please advise whether the current version of LiveCode Server installed on pancake.on-rev.com is compatible with revIgniter?
>>
>> I've installed but getting 404 errors on the index.lc page under revIgniter and the user guide's troubleshooting section mentions a bug in some LiveCode Server versions.
>>
>> I don't see any LiveCode server info in CPanel and can't find any documentation on how to check the server version from a .lc file.
>>
>> Is there a statement similar to that used to check PHP parameters -  like 'put server version' ?
>> Best,
>> Keith..

Re: RevIgniter & current on-rev LiveCode server version

Ralf Bitter-2

Hi Keith,

seems that yesterday my response didn't go through,
so here it is again:

The bug mentioned in the user guide applies only to
installations on Lion and Mountain Lion. It is
fixed in LiveCode Server release: 6.0.0-rc-1.

This means, revIgniter should work on on-rev.com without
flaws. I would try to start with a clean root folder
without any Apache directives in .htaccess. Then all
you have to do (really) is to copy the files and folders
included to server root. Check your installation using
an URL like "yourSite.on-rev.com/index.lc".

Best

Ralf

On 18.05.2013, at 11:07, Keith Clarke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
> Can any revIgniter expert please advise whether the current version of LiveCode Server installed on pancake.on-rev.com is compatible with revIgniter?
>
> I've installed but getting 404 errors on the index.lc page under revIgniter and the user guide's troubleshooting section mentions a bug in some LiveCode Server versions.
>
> I don't see any LiveCode server info in CPanel and can't find any documentation on how to check the server version from a .lc file.
>
> Is there a statement similar to that used to check PHP parameters -  like 'put server version' ?
> Best,
> Keith..

Re: RevIgniter & current on-rev LiveCode server version

Keith Clarke
Thanks for resending, Ralf - though I did see your original yesterday(?!?)

Following your advice, I've been able to access revIgniter from myName.on-rev.com/index.lc by installing the contents of the zip file into my docroot myname.on-rev.com.

For this, I had to edit index.lc as follow:
system = /home/myName/revIgniter/system
application - /home/myName/revIgniter/system/application

This is great but I want to use revIgniter from a sub-folder of one of my add-on domains and I'm getting 404 errors at URL URL http://myDomain.com/myFolder/index.lc which resolves to folder /home/myName.on-rev.com/public_html/myDomain/myFolder

I'm not sure if this is a problem with path definitions in the index.lc file in the sub-domain folder (currently the same as above) and/or access permissions.

Maybe I need a .htaccess file or something on my subdomain to be able to access revIgniter folders / files 'above' the add-on domain's web root 'up' to my account's docroot.

Any ideas gratefully received.
Best,
Keith..

On 19.05.2013, at 16:51, Keith Clarke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for resending, Ralf - though I did see your original yesterday(?!?)
>
> Following your advice, I've been able to access revIgniter from myName.on-rev.com/index.lc by installing the contents of the zip file into my docroot myname.on-rev.com.
>
> For this, I had to edit index.lc as follow:
> system = /home/myName/revIgniter/system
> application - /home/myName/revIgniter/system/application

If you don't move or rename any of these folders there is
no need to modify index.lc. The location of these folders
are relative to the directory where your index.lc is located
independent of how deep your revIgniter folder is nested.

> This is great but I want to use revIgniter from a sub-folder of one of my add-on domains and I'm getting 404 errors at URL URL http://myDomain.com/myFolder/index.lc which resolves to folder /home/myName.on-rev.com/public_html/myDomain/myFolder
>
> I'm not sure if this is a problem with path definitions in the index.lc file in the sub-domain folder (currently the same as above) and/or access permissions.
>
> Maybe I need a .htaccess file or something on my subdomain to be able to access revIgniter folders / files 'above' the add-on domain's web root 'up' to my account's docroot.
>
> Any ideas gratefully received.
> Best,
> Keith..

In this case all you have to do (really) is to define the "Base Site URL"
in your configuration file like:

put "http://myDomain.com/myFolder/" into gConfig["baseUrl"]

It is at the top of the configuration file in system/application/config/config.lc

Check your installation using an URL like:

http://myDomain.com/myFolder/index.lc

The next thing to do is to get rid of the need to include "index.lc" in your URIs.
This is explained in detail in the user guide.

Best

Ralf

> On 19 May 2013, at 15:34, Ralf Bitter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Hi Keith,
>>
>> seems that yesterday my response didn't go through,
>> so here it is again:
>>
>> The bug mentioned in the user guide applies only to
>> installations on Lion and Mountain Lion. It is
>> fixed in LiveCode Server release: 6.0.0-rc-1.
>>
>> This means, revIgniter should work on on-rev.com without
>> flaws. I would try to start with a clean root folder
>> without any Apache directives in .htaccess. Then all
>> you have to do (really) is to copy the files and folders
>> included to server root. Check your installation using
>> an URL like "yourSite.on-rev.com/index.lc".
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Ralf
>>

>> On 18.05.2013, at 11:07, Keith Clarke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks,
>>> Can any revIgniter expert please advise whether the current version of LiveCode Server installed on pancake.on-rev.com is compatible with revIgniter?
>>>
>>> I've installed but getting 404 errors on the index.lc page under revIgniter and the user guide's troubleshooting section mentions a bug in some LiveCode Server versions.
>>>
>>> I don't see any LiveCode server info in CPanel and can't find any documentation on how to check the server version from a .lc file.
>>>
>>> Is there a statement similar to that used to check PHP parameters -  like 'put server version' ?
>>> Best,
>>> Keith..

Re: RevIgniter & current on-rev LiveCode server version

Keith Clarke
Thanks  Ralf - I've now got a revIgniter instance installed safely in its own folder in my doc-root, outside of the public_html web-root and accessible from both my on-rev account web-root and a specific folder within one of my add-on domains.

This on-rev set-up required settings somewhat different from the installation guide, which I'll share, in case it helps others reading the archiveā€¦

To enable your on-rev account with revIgniter:
Install the zip file contents into a sub-folder in your on-rev home folder, such as '/home/accountName/revIgniter' - retaining the top-level folder, to keep everything together, perhaps rename this to 'revIgniter' or similar;
Optionally, for added security, rename the system sub-folder, such as 'foo';
Move the index.lc to your public_html web-root and edit it:
System folder name: /home/accountName/revIgniter/foo
Application Folder name: /home/accountName/revIgniter/foo/application
Open URL accountName.on-rev.com to test revIgniter starts

Access revIgniter from an add-on domain:
Move/copy index.lc to the required folder;
Edit Base Site URL in /home/accountName/revIgniter/foo/application/config/config.lc to the URL of your add-on domain's folder.

Now, time to start playing!
Best,
Keith..